PDA

View Full Version : Baby sweater pattern search

brightspot
02-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Does anyone have a baby (about 12 months) sweater pattern that they have made and like? I want to make one, but I don't have babies and have never made one. There are too many out there for someone who doesn't even know what size a baby is anymore. :thinking:

Ingrid
02-06-2006, 01:04 AM
This one is cute.

http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTtrellis.html

There are others on the Knitty site, also.

brightspot
02-06-2006, 04:04 AM
You know, when I first looked at it I thought that there was no way I could do that, but it is very interesting and I think I am going to try it. Thank you, but I had better have a back up in case this one is too hard. I only have until the end of April. I knit fast, but this sweater I think I had better take my time on.
Do you have any idea where I could get the yarn online? I have no where around here that carries anything even close to it. Thank you again. :D

Ingrid
02-06-2006, 08:57 AM
The Rowan yarn is a worsted weight. I can't really do a search here at school, but if you want this particular yarn, you can google it. For a child's sweater, though, I think I'd lean toward something machine washable and dryable.

AKchick
02-06-2006, 12:33 PM
I just recently finished this sweater and it is very cute and a relatively fast knit! I didn't use the yarn they suggested, instead I used Caron Simply Soft and I made it in one of the bigger sizes, but the size 1 should be a bigger 12 month size.

AKchick
02-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Ha, ha! I'm a dork, forgot the link. Here ya go!

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/zippy/zippy.html

If that doesn't work go to www.berroco.com, then look under the children's free patterns and it is the zippy cardigan (it is pictured in blue)

brightspot
02-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Thank you. As long as I know that it is a worsted weight yarn I can find something.

brightspot
02-06-2006, 12:45 PM
AKchickm, that is a cute sweater too. Was it hard to put the zipper in? I have put zippers in sewed things, but never in a knitted item.

AKchick
02-06-2006, 01:37 PM
It was actually a lot easier than I figured it would be. I actually found a site that said how she did it and I ended up modifying it because I had already done some of the steps she said not to do until after the zipper was put in. I lined the zipper up on each side then pinned it on each side of the fabric for each side of the zipper. Then I used my sewing machine and sewed it on. The only problem I have had is with my sewing machine, for some reason it is having a wicked time winding a bobbin correctly so my bobbin thread keeps getting tangled like crazy and I finally stopped before I threw my machine out the window.

I figured I would post a picture as soon as I finished it, I just haven't had the patience yet to go back and work with my machine, but now you have me thinking about it. Maybe I will do it today.

At the end of the pattern it tells you how to knit up a couple of strips to cover the fabric on the inside of the sweater, I had thought about not doing that and then changed my mind and it definitely makes a difference. It looks so much nicer when the sweater is open to see yarn instead of a mismatched zipper.

brightspot
02-06-2006, 02:06 PM
**I finally stopped before I threw my machine out the window.

Been there!!! I bookmarked this page so if I have any trouble I can come back to it. I think I am going to make both sweaters. We live in a cold area so a kid never has too many sweaters. :D