PDA

View Full Version : I want a summer tshirt/tank pattern for my gauge!

WynnieG
02-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Okay, I bought several patterns this weekend. Bought yarn too, and my first Addi turbos (I've tried to avoid knitting on circs out of fear for years, preferring dpns and straights).

The patterns call for a 24", #6 circ. Got it.
The patterns call for dk weight yarn. Got it.
The patterns call for a gauge of 20sts/4" -- HOLD IT!

My gauge, on the yarn they specifed, is 28sts/4". Frogged, retried, ditto.

I love the fabric of the 28sts/4". These needles as you know aren't cheap, and as the shop I purchased from doesn't have the next two sizes in that length or longer, and won't for a while, I'm pretty much stuck with them, as I can't exchange them up for anything.

Does anyone know of a pattern, or can help me tweak one of my purchased patterns, to my gauge of 28s/4"? I'd like something along the lines of the Knitting Pure and Simple v-neck tshirt or their simple tank (patterns I purchased).

If you've met with anything like this in your travels, let me know here or PM me. Thanks!

Ingrid
02-06-2006, 09:40 PM
Here (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer03/PATTsigma.html) is a tank that you can knit with whatever gauge works with your yarn and needle.

This (http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTsoleil.html)doesn't have the same gauge as you knit, but is designed for your yarn and needles. You could make a bigger size if your gauge is too tight.

Actually, making a larger size is always an option if your gauge doesn't work, come to think of it.

FruDart
02-11-2006, 09:06 AM
Here is a little math that can help you. Stitches in pattern / gauge in pattern x youre gauge. Example: Pattern sais cast on 100 st. Gauge in pattern = 25, youre gauge is 28.
100 / 25 = 4
4 x 28 = 112
Then you must cast on 112 st.

Hope this can be of any help ;)

WynnieG
02-11-2006, 05:04 PM
Thanks, FruDart! *Hugs* This will get me started.

It's true what they say: after one goes to college and masters higher math, things like calculating cast-ons and balancing one's checkbook become terribly difficult for some reason.

*sings* Mamas, don't let yer babies grow up to be calculus students...