PDA

View Full Version : Join the KH Bloggers WebRing

Vendie
02-08-2006, 09:10 PM
I've noticed that there are many of us who have blogs outside of KH (ie Blogger, TypePad, Blogspirit, etc). In an effort to help us become even more connected, I have started a webring so that we can hop from member blog to member blog.

You do not have to have a blog to read those in the ring, you only have to have one to be a member of the ring.

Here are the rules if you want to play along. You must:

1. Be a member of the Knitting Help forums - Include your KH name in your application so I can verify this. If I can't verify it, your blog will not be added.

2. Have a knitting blog (ie - Blogger, TypePad, Yahoo360, whatever) - this does not include your blog thread on KH.

3. Update your blog regularly (please, at least once a month)

4. You have one week to get the ring code up and running on your blog. If not you will need to reapply when you're ready.

5. Have your KH name posted somewhere on the main page of your blog - just so we know who you match up with if your blog posting name is different. It's preferable to have it near your ring display.

There are also some guidelines regarding content: While I have no desire to censor anyone, I do request that if you participate in this ring, play nicely. I reserve the right to remove your blog from the ring if other members find it overly offensive. Amy has been kind enough to support this effort, and I do not want our activity to negatively impact her website's integrity.

This is all spelled out as well on the KH Blogger's webring rally site: http://khbloggers.blogspot.com. Please go there to join.

Please do not contact Amy with technical questions about the ring - the ring is my baby, so please contact me; info is on the main blog, or PM me here.

I really hope to see lots of you join us! I think it will be a great way to stay connected and get to know each other a little better.

-wendie/FG

Mer
02-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Thanks for doing this Wendie! :cheering:

BinkyKat
02-08-2006, 10:09 PM
OK, i've never done an official blog...
I am so dense, I started one on blogger, but i can't seem to comprehend how to get connected to y'all.
i have copied the code in that box, but i don't know how/where to post it to.
:??

Edit: Ok, I think I may have it... I have a box on the side now that says KH Bloggers etc...
I hope I did it right. let me know...

Vendie
02-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Ok, what you're going to need to do is log into Blogger, click on your blog name, and then click on I think "template" (somewhere in the editing area). Now, this is where it gets a little funky, especially if you don't know a whole lot about html. Basically, you're going to want to scroll way down in the code and look for something that says "sidebar" - then you'll be in the general area. This is kind of hard to explain with out seeing it, so bear with me. Look for code that says something about sidebar and "Links". This corresponds to the Links section on your blog. You can erase the links that are there and then paste in the ring code in that section. Does that make sense?

So, you'll see a section that looks like this in your template:

<h2 class="sidebar-title">Links</h2>
<ul>
Google News (http://news.google.com/)
Edit-Me (http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=110)
Edit-Me (http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=110)
[/list]

You can erase everything after the </h2> (this section only!) and paste in the ring code.

Try that, and if you're still having problems, I can work with you to get it going. I use Blogger too, so I'm fairly familiar with how their templates are set up.

Vendie
02-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Hey, you got it Binky! I'll be adding you shortly. Thanks for joining!

BinkyKat
02-08-2006, 10:29 PM
ROK ONN!
I'm such a haphazard computer person, I fumble through it and somehow figure it out! YAY ME!
:cheering:
Thanks FG!!!!

misstialouise
02-08-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm in.

Vendie
02-08-2006, 10:37 PM
And we're glad to have you Tia! :cheering:

Jenelle
02-08-2006, 10:39 PM
I created a new blogger.. I need another blog for my knitting :lol:

I'll be joining shortly :)

CateKnits
02-08-2006, 10:56 PM
I recently created a blog on Blogger, but I'm renewing my domain. :cheering: So I'm going to wait on this, in case I decide to set up my blog on my domain.

Amber
02-08-2006, 11:08 PM
I'm a bit techno-challenged. :( I'll have to have my dh help me with getting the ring code onto my site. Of course, he's not home right now... :doh:

Dang it!

mintdee
02-08-2006, 11:26 PM
Thanks FG! I am in as well :) :thumbsup:

amy
02-08-2006, 11:30 PM
This is such a great idea Wendy, thank you for doing this!!!! :cheering:

We'll be able to easily see all web ring member's blogs at a glance. And we'll be able to scroll through blogs easily. So neat!!

...Sheldon and I have made a pretty graphic for y'all to use in your off-site blogs. Here it is. Wendy will know what to do with it!

Julie
02-08-2006, 11:32 PM
:roflhard: Of course, I couldn't be without a button from the outset....so last night I made one with Amy's lovely hands on it ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/j-m-h/khbloggers.gif

amy
02-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Julie, that's the spirit! :rofling:

That one looks great, actually, cool concept to use my hands! It never would have occured to me! ....of course then you'd have to make two images, one for English and one for Continental. :roflhard:

misstialouise
02-09-2006, 12:32 AM
I recently created a blog on Blogger, but I'm renewing my domain. :cheering: So I'm going to wait on this, in case I decide to set up my blog on my domain.

You can forward blogger to publish on your domain.

:D

I will be doing the same thing one day.. LOL

nicolethegeek
02-09-2006, 01:22 AM
I've joined and am just waiting for approval. I think this is such a cool idea!

vcuchica931
02-09-2006, 01:32 AM
i just joined as well! :cheering: Great idea!

Vendie
02-09-2006, 07:20 AM
I'm so happy to see all of you join! Since I have to wade through the emails and check everyone's sites, please be patient. I will most likely have to wait until tonight after I get home from work to add the rest of you if your code checks out ok. Thanks!

earthchick
02-09-2006, 08:37 AM
I'm so excited to be a part of the ring! :happydance:

Now if I can just figure out how to get the button on there.... [I did get the link on there with the code I was provided at approval, but I am so far button-challenged. I aspire to someday have as many buttons as Julie. ;) ]

VickiIL
02-09-2006, 09:58 AM
Thanks Wendy! I just joined!

BinkyKat
02-09-2006, 11:37 PM
Hey! How do you post the KH logo button on my blog? :thinking:

Cristy
02-10-2006, 12:58 AM
I quit. I can't figure it out...dh has to "play" with things to get them to work and I don't know where to begin...sorry guys. I'm thinking of killing my blog..I just can't get all of this technical stuff figured out.

Cristy
02-10-2006, 01:39 AM
okay, never mind. I figured it out. I hope DH isn't reading over my shoulder... Dh was taking too long and I can play with it and figure it out too so I did, darn it. And I'm damn proud of myself!!!

Mer
02-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Hey! How do you post the KH logo button on my blog? :thinking:

The very first announcement on the top of the general forum page has the info for you.

punkhippiemom
02-10-2006, 05:00 PM
I have one at MySpace, can I use that?? Or would it be better just to start a new one on typepad or Blogger?
:rollseyes:
Weren't computers supposed to make life less complicated??

kemp
02-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Great idea Wendie! I'm in.

Amber
02-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Okay -- I've got the code up, thanks to dh! :D

BinkyKat
02-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Uh, does it take a while for stuff to show up?
I added the KH code for the button (duh again, i remember the sticky now,I usually always go to "view latest posts").
I decided to change the layout of my blog page too, but it doesn't seem to change when I go back, in "preview" yes, but it doesn't stay.
hmmm :??

Edit: Ok, the "face" of my blog changed, but now the KH ring part is gone, do i need to reapply?

Mer
02-10-2006, 11:31 PM
Edit: Ok, the "face" of my blog changed, but now the KH ring part is gone, do i need to reapply?

The ring showing up on your blog should have nothing to do with being accepted/applying--it's the code you put in. If you're still on the list you're still in, but you have to fix your page so it shows up. I don't know too much about html so I can't really help, but I think that's probably the issue!

Julie
02-10-2006, 11:58 PM
In Blogger when you change your blog template (the face of which you speak?) you lose any customization that you did on the old one -- anything in your sidebars, etc. You will need to manually put the ring code in the sidebar of your new template.

Vendie
02-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Yeah, what Julie and Mer said :D You'll just need to put the code back in. Do you still have your RingSurf email with the code in it? If not, I think you can log into RingSurf and get it from there.

PHM - I think MySpace will work, I'm not sure. As long as the code shows up, I don't see why not. I'm not familiar with MySpace tho, so I don't know.

Yay! Again, I'm so tickled that people are joining! I need to get in there and do some checking/adding and get the new people up. Can you believe we already have about 20 sites either in the ring or waiting to be added? And we've only had this up and going for less than a week. Wonderful! :cheering:

Hey Mods - can we make this a sticky so new KH members can find it easier?

Vendie
02-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Binky, just to let you know, I moved you to the queue temporarily until you can get the code back in. I also changed the link to your blog (in case you get a message that says something like that) - I noticed that it linked to a specific entry, and also when you changed your blog template, that link was no longer active. So you should be good to go once you get the code back in.

Vendie
02-11-2006, 10:20 AM
I just posted a list of all the ring members so far. Check it out at: http://khbloggers.blogspot.com

Please - if I have listed anyone incorrectly, let me know!

Cristy
02-11-2006, 10:29 AM
I see me..so far so good!

feministmama
02-11-2006, 03:52 PM
I joined. But I can't figure out how to post the KH button. THis whole HTML stuff is crazy.

Vendie
02-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Ok here's the snippet of the ring code where you'd insert the image - the image is the text in blue. (Ignore the line breaks and spaces in the tags)

< center>< b>< a href="http://khbloggers.blogspot.com/">< img src="http://linktopicture.jpeg" alt="KH Bloggers"></a>[/b]
</center>...

In order to use the image, you'll need to save it to your server or something like Photobucket or Flickr, who'll host the image for you.

FruDart
02-11-2006, 05:25 PM
I became a member today, and just had to join this. I think it's a great idea :thumbsup:

Lady M
02-11-2006, 09:48 PM
Ok Wendy/FiberGirl

I just created myself a Knitting Blog and added the Ring Link and also the link to Knitting Help.com. I also sent the e mail to join your forum

My Blog Site is Here....~.~

http://ladymknits.blogspot.com/

Thank you for giving me the inspiration to start a blog and setting it up. It is something that I have been planning to do but jsut kept putting it off.

Anne
http://ladymknits.blogspot.com/

BinkyKat
02-11-2006, 11:04 PM
okie dokie... got the KH Blogger ring link back! woot! :happydance:
now, to figure out this photobucket business..

Vendie
02-16-2006, 03:57 PM
bump

wow this fell down to page 2...

c'mon we need some more blogs!

Sara
02-17-2006, 02:26 PM
bump!

I just let koolbreeze know about this. Her new blog is really pretty! :thumbsup:

I'll join as soon as I can get DD to help me with the code.

feministmama
02-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Is there an HTML tutorial somwhere that talks to me like I'm 5 and uses plain english? I can't figure out what I'm doing. I want to have little things on the side of the blog. Like the rest of y'all do. Like the button and links and pictures and stuff.

punkhippiemom
02-17-2006, 07:09 PM
what blog are you using?? I'm completely html - impaired, and I managed to stick the button in on Blogger... I had to test it to make sure I was doing it correctly, but I did it!! :cheering:

Vendie
02-18-2006, 10:22 AM
There are the Visual Quickstart guides - they have them for all sorts of computer related things. I have one for HTML that's decent. They're published by Peachpit Press - they might have some of them in your campus bookstore, Femmie.

Mer
02-18-2006, 11:07 AM
I wanted to add that folks have to make sure to put the ring surf code on the blog too, not just the picture--I was surfing around the ring and got stuck in a couple places. ;)

Jouf
02-18-2006, 12:13 PM
I could have been one of the offenders, Mer. Fixed it. It's not with the button, but down at the bottom on right.

Mer
02-18-2006, 01:22 PM
Oh, that was it! I couldn't find the ring part. :D

Sara
02-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Does it take a long time for new posts to show up in Blogger? I put in my code for the blogring and posted something new, but when I browse through the blogring and my blog comes up, the code and the new post aren't on there. The post is in my list of posts to edit, but it doesn't show up otherwise. :??

I'm so confused... :verysad:

Vendie
02-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Sara, I see both your code and your post from today. Generally, after you republish, your entries and changes show up with the next refresh. That might be all you needed to do. But it looks like you're ok now.

Vendie
02-18-2006, 08:28 PM
We are now up to 27 blogs as of today...we need some more, so those of you just finding this thread, please join us!

Angelia
02-19-2006, 09:49 AM
I'm in! :happydance:

www.slippedasiftoknit.blogspot.com

I've got to dig out my HTML manual though! ;) I had a website for my students once upon a time, but I guess it's been 5 years since I've written code. Funny how quickly that skill just floats off into the ether... :shock:

Vendie
02-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Yea!!! I saw that application in my email this morning and was like, who the heck is this? YAY!!! Angelia caved into peer pressure!!!

Angelia
02-19-2006, 10:33 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Oh yeah. I've never been able to resist that. Folks in another thread are MAKING me order Addis from Jeff on ebay. :rofling:

My blog looks like crap--I've only done minimal work. But, I hope to flesh it out later today. You know, when I'm avoiding doing work! ;)

Doublereeder2
02-19-2006, 12:04 PM
I am kind of new at all this - but count me in too!
:thumbsup:

Doublereeder2

www.knittinreed.blogspot.com

allegra918
02-19-2006, 08:44 PM
uh, i need help. I have a typepad blog, are any of you using that? i don't know where to put the info (i'm not even going to DEAL with the button thing yet!)..... i tried to put it in a link/typelist, but i had to put in a web address as the link, so i put the khblogger.blogspot.com and then in the comments i put in that site code but all that came up on my blog was the link to our blog.

HELP ME HELP ME!!!! :crying:

Mer
02-19-2006, 10:34 PM
Hi Allegra--
I don't have typepad, but I had issues with blogspirit. Do you have something like a "custom" form you can use for sidebar items? That's where I had to put my code. You can't use one of their pre-set categories. You might want to see if typepad has a forum or some sort of admin blog where they give tips on things like this.

allegra918
02-20-2006, 12:26 AM
Thanks Mer!! I got it to work!!

Doublereeder2
02-20-2006, 11:25 AM
WooHoo! I'm in. This is the first time I have done something like this. Looks like fun!
Thank you :happydance:

koolbreeze
02-20-2006, 11:47 AM
thanks Sara for stoppin by and letting me know about KH bloogers. i'll be signing up shortly!!!

Mer
02-20-2006, 03:46 PM
Hey guys, I just found this: http://www.knitblog.com/home.htm

Might be of help to those who are new (as well as those who aren't!) to blogging.

Ellen Edwards
02-21-2006, 12:51 AM
Hey--I've got a little site with yahoo 360!! I usually post at least a few tmies a month--and not always about knitting, but I'd like to use the button too!! Can you tell me how?? Thanks!! :heart:

HeatherFeather
02-21-2006, 01:25 PM
I'm up and running again!!! hopefull this will keep me blogging...lol....

DannahK
02-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Ok, I am going to offer up my web services. I am a computer pared person - is that the opposite of impared? Sooo... if any one wants help, wants a set up, or wants a blog and doesn't want to deal with the setup, let me know, and I'll hep ya!

Oh, and I am in the ring too!

Jenelle
02-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Can you have a xanga and still get added to the KH blog? :?? I preffer xanga over blogger, or anyother blogging service, because it's not as hectic as the others(in other words, easier to use).

Angelia
02-21-2006, 05:31 PM
I really wish I had my own domain still; using Dreamweaver is a heck of a lot easier than the weirdness of the blog site I'm using, and I even know HTML (though admittedly I've forgotten a lot b/c I don't use it anymore). The setup is kind of counter-intuitive on blogger. Is there another service that's easier to use?

Vendie
02-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Angelia, I just switched mine from blogger to movable type. I'm using AQhost to host it and registered my domain. Obviously, it's not free, but I think they have hosting services as low as 9.99 a month. Now that I've got the hang of it, I love it - way easier to deal with than Blogger. I would get so frustrated with all the outages on Blogger that they would never tell you about. I guess you get what you pay for. If you decide you want to go this route and want to go with AQhost, let me know, I get a referral bonus of some sort. I'm pretty happy with them so far, and my friend Renee uses them as well and is happy with it.

Vendie
02-21-2006, 07:16 PM
Can you have a xanga and still get added to the KH blog? :?? I preffer xanga over blogger, or anyother blogging service, because it's not as hectic as the others(in other words, easier to use).

As long as you can edit/use HTML code in your blog's templates, and can add the ring code to your blog, you can use whatever blogging platform works best for you. You just have to be able to add the code and we have to be able to hop from blog to blog.

Angelia
02-21-2006, 07:17 PM
What is moveable type?

Vendie
02-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Hey--I've got a little site with yahoo 360!! I usually post at least a few tmies a month--and not always about knitting, but I'd like to use the button too!! Can you tell me how?? Thanks!! :heart:

I'm not familiar with Yahoo 360 - are you able to use and edit HTML with it? If not, then you won't be able to be in the ring. It's not just the button and a link to the kh bloggers website that makes the ring work. There needs to be links to the blogs on either side of yours in the ring.

Is anyone familiar enough with this platform to let me know what it's capabilities are?

Vendie
03-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Aack, I found this on page 5! So, here's a big ol' BUMP.

I'm seeing new people, and people who haven't been here for awhile, with blogs! Come join us! (Info on page 1 and at the link in my sig)

Jan in CA
03-04-2006, 12:04 PM
I thave thought about starting a blog, but I'm not sure what I would put on it! I guess I need to go read a few first to see what they are all about.

Jan in CA
03-04-2006, 03:57 PM
I'm in! :happydance:

www.slippedasiftoknit.blogspot.com

I don't see your blog on the list. :??

We are now up to 27 blogs as of today...we need some more, so those of you just finding this thread, please join us!

27? Not quite that many on this page (http://khbloggers.blogspot.com/).

So there are so many blog places... which one is the best or easiest? I know basic HTML...taught myself that years ago.

Vendie
03-04-2006, 09:21 PM
I haven't actually updated the list of blogs on the ring :shifty: I should probably do that this weekend, huh? At last count there are 33 active blogs on the ring, not including the KH Blogger's main site. And I have one more sitting in the queue, whose KH identity I'm trying to determine. Anyone owning up to this one?

Vendie
03-04-2006, 09:26 PM
Sorry Jan to answer your question about the different blogging platforms out there - I'm only familiar with two. I've used Blogger, which is free. I liked it at first, but I quickly grew out of it. I found it kinda clunky sometimes and there were numerous times when I couldn't access any Blogger blogs for hours at a time. But a lot of people use Blogger with no problems.

I'm now using Movable Type and a hosting service called AQHost (a fellow blogger recommended it). I :heart: it! I find Movable Type really easy to use and well organized. I also find that I can do more with it. And as a result, I'm updating my blog a lot more often. It does actually cost something, but it includes the blogging service (MT), the hosting service, and the domain registration.

Jan in CA
03-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Well I set up a Blogger site so when I get something on there I'll apply to the ring.

Jan in CA
03-05-2006, 02:43 AM
Ah ha! I figured out the links thing so I've applied to the ring. :cheering: Did I do everything okay?

Here's my blog link. (http://knittingandmore.blogspot.com/) I think it's going to take a few days (weeks?!) to get all the photos and text loaded up!
:shock:

Vendie
03-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Jan, I emailed you back about what was necessary for the ring links. Make sure I answered your question, and if I didn't, let me know!

Jan in CA
03-05-2006, 07:41 PM
I was posting this in my KH thread/blog and since it doesn't get much traffic I thought I'd post it here as well. Help for HTML beginners.

I actually learned all my HTML from this site.
HTML Goodies (http://www.htmlgoodies.com/)

This one is actually supposed to be for kids, but I like it because it's easy to understand.
Lissa Explains it All (http://www.lissaexplains.com/)

You'll still have to wade through the source on your blog, but it might help some.

I changed the title image! :cheering: Link in my sig.

Friskums
03-07-2006, 05:27 PM
I was posting this in my KH thread/blog and since it doesn't get much traffic I thought I'd post it here as well. Help for HTML beginners.

I actually learned all my HTML from this site.
HTML Goodies (http://www.htmlgoodies.com/)

This one is actually supposed to be for kids, but I like it because it's easy to understand.
Lissa Explains it All (http://www.lissaexplains.com/)

You'll still have to wade through the source on your blog, but it might help some.

I changed the title image! :cheering: Link in my sig.

Oh, wow. I can't believe Lissa Explains it All is still up! I was using that over 5 years ago.

Anyway, just wanted to post that I'm in too. ^_^

Ellen Edwards
03-09-2006, 10:26 AM
I've started a blog so I can be in this webring too!! I hope I can get it. I can post text and pics. but I don't know how to get the links in the sidebar. What do I have to do now? My address is at the bottom. :rollseyes:

http://catgirlknitson.blogspot.com/

mintdee
03-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Jan that title bar is so pretty! I wish I had skills like that :thumbsup:

Ellen Edwards
03-09-2006, 10:28 AM
I've started a blog so I can be in this webring too!! I hope I can get it. I can post text and pics. but I don't know how to get the links in the sidebar. What do I have to do now? My address is at the catgirlknitson thingy. :rollseyes:

http://catgirlknitson.blogspot.com/

Vendie
03-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Ok everyone, I've finally updated the KHBloggers blog ( http://khbloggers.blogspot.com ) with new members. I took this directly from the RingSurf listing of members, but if for some reason you are a member and you don't see your blog listed in either that post or the previous, let me know.

Also, just to clarify, if new members wish to join, you should go to:

http://www.ringsurf.com/netring?ring=khbloggers;action=addform and complete the form.

Jan in CA
03-12-2006, 02:13 AM
Jan that title bar is so pretty! I wish I had skills like that :thumbsup:

Thank you! It was really very easy. Just a few layers and a couple photos. ;)

sara_jayne
04-27-2006, 11:21 AM
*bump*

I just wanted to remind people of this if anyone is interested!

Vendie
04-27-2006, 12:08 PM
And I would like to remind some of our current ring members to update your blogs. If you've decided to abandon your blog, let me know so I can remove you.

And a big thanks to Sara_Jayne for offering to help me out with this!