PDA

View Full Version : yarn issues..help!

Cristy
02-09-2006, 06:03 PM
Hey guys--I am finishing up dh's scrunchable scarf and I have a yarn problem..when I would knit in each new ball of yarn, I'd knit the tail of the old yarn and the new yarn together as Amy does--she says in several of her videos that you can cut the yarn and not have to weave in the tails if you do this...

here's the problem: I haven't cut the tails yet and I notice that they are untwisting...are they going to do this within my knitted piece of work? Should I weave the tails or cut the yarn?

Angelia
02-09-2006, 06:55 PM
By untwisting, do you mean they are loose stitches? How many rows back are they? Sometimes it takes knitting up a couple of rows for the stitches to secure themselves. If that's not working, I'd say weave the ends in...

Cristy
02-09-2006, 07:13 PM
no,not the stitches, the strand of yarn that is sticking out of the piece of work. make sense? I purposely knitted the ends in for a few stitches so I could just clip the tails but now that I see that the tails are unraveling...I'm afraid it'll do that within the stitches. I just don't want the end of the tail...wherever it is in the piece of work to start to unravel and come "unknitted." I hope that makes more sense. I hesitated to even ask the question b/c I wasn't sure I could explain the problem.

Ingrid
02-09-2006, 07:15 PM
If it's knitted in, I don't think the strands are going to come apart. :thinking:

Cristy
02-09-2006, 07:18 PM
okiiedokie...you know best Ingy! :) (seriously!)

I should be finished with it in a little bit...I'll post pics asap! ;)

Ingrid
02-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Just remember--it's my opinion, although based on experience, it's still just a judgement call. I'll tell you what. If it unravels, sent it to me and I'll fix it. ;)

Angelia
02-09-2006, 07:27 PM
:thumbsup: ;)

Cristy
02-09-2006, 07:36 PM
I'll tell you what. If it unravels, sent it to me and I'll fix it. ;)

works for me! :)

HeatherFeather
02-09-2006, 08:36 PM
If I knit in the ends, I do it for about 6-8 stitches, a bit overkill I am SURE, and I am doing it on things that a bit bulky area doesn't matter/isn't seen....fwiw. :inlove:

Cristy
02-09-2006, 08:54 PM
I should finish the scarf in a couple of hours after dd goes to bed. I'll take pics and post them w/ a few up-close shots of places where my stitches look wonky...it's where I knitted in the two strands together for a few stitches. I'm not sure if I just didn't make my stitches tight enough or what but they are noticably thicker than the others--giving it a lumpy look.

Ingrid
02-09-2006, 10:54 PM
What kind of yarn are you using?

Cristy
02-09-2006, 11:43 PM
Lion's Brand--Kool Wool. I'm finished now and about to post pics. The places I'm talking about don't look as bad as I thought--I kept trying to take pics of them but when I would, you couldn't really tell a difference.

Angelia
02-10-2006, 07:24 AM
Maybe that's a good sign, Cristy! :thumbsup:

Ingrid
02-10-2006, 09:04 AM
When you knit the two strands together, it's naturally going to be thicker in those spots, but I'm sure you're the only one who'll care. ;)