PDA

View Full Version : OT: Oy! Where's My Blizzard?!

WynnieG
02-11-2006, 08:01 PM
I'm knitting along on my Knitting Olympics viking chicken hat, and trying to find weather updates on the tv.

Where is everyone? Well, Weather Channel won't shut up about the European forecast...their brains are all in Torino. Something is going wonky with either my Mozilla browser or Accuweather.com, because I'm not seeing any new updates.

I want my storm of the decade, and I want it now.

Yes yes, I know I wanted Pennichuck Chuck to tell me spring was coming. He didn't. He came out, saw his shadow, and blew a big raspberry at me.

Well, if it's six more weeks of winter, let's have it. I want to see a raging blitzkreig of snow. No more of this pansy 35 degrees at 9am, bone dry streets and dreary grey landscape. No more windstorms that just blow trash from other people's bins into my yard. No more RAIN.

If Mother Nature insists on dashing my hopes of early delivery from Johnny's Selected Seeds, the least she can do is shake out her featherbed and put on a white sale.

I think I need to go find the Orange Milanos, and sulk with some more Dalegarn Stork. *sigh*

-Wynn

Ingrid
02-11-2006, 08:09 PM
We're supposed to get 10-16 inches. :( You're supposed to get 8-12. Hang in there, it's coming!

sogrammatical
02-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Yeah, I'm waiting on the same blizzard. I've gotten about three emails about campus snow emergencies, which I don't care about because I don't have a car, and they've put down the vile molasses stuff that they use instead of salt. It had better be a good snow storm.

I really hope it does snow some though. This complete lack of snow in February actually makes me really nervous. It's almost like you can smell the global warming.

CateKnits
02-11-2006, 08:27 PM
It apparently snowed more at home than it did here this weekend. :rollseyes:

sogrammatical
02-11-2006, 08:49 PM
I was talking to a friend in Annapolis earlier today, and she said it was sleeting there. Still nothing here though.

WynnieG
02-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Another thing that has made me grumpy:

Men's Olympic Curling - USA vs. Norway, showing: 3AM.

argle bargle *stomp*

Oh, and apparently I have to set my alarm if I'm to watch the women at 8AM (USA vs. Norway, also).

I'm already shorted on sleep because someone rang my bell at 7:30am this morning canvassing for their religion - and they didn't even have the decency to wait until I'd gotten to the door, they just went to the next house! I open the door, and they're ringing the bell on three apartments next door. Ugh!

Jan in CA
02-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Blizzard shmizzard...it was almost 80 here today! :rollseyes: :roflhard:

Sara
02-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Wynnie, I think you're going to get your wish for snowfall. We aren't supposed to get any real accumulation out of this, but my hip hurts so terribly that I could just bawl. There aren't any other weather changes around, it's got to be the nor'easter. There be a monster out there, matey. Arrrh!

Ingrid
02-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Blizzard shmizzard...it was almost 80 here today! :rollseyes: :roflhard:

I can hear you laughing from here, Jan! :P :P

cheesiesmom
02-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Blizzard shmizzard...it was almost 80 here today!

Thanks. I hate winter (and live in Michigan) and you have to brag about 80 degrees. All of you on the east coast who desperately want snow can have everything in Michigan, too. Fortunately we've had a mild winter so far. I suppose I wouldn't care if I never had to go out in it, but one more fall and they're just going to throw a blue FEMA tarp over me and let me lie where I landed.

Gladys, freezing in Michigan

sogrammatical
02-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Another thing that has made me grumpy:

Men's Olympic Curling - USA vs. Norway, showing: 3AM.

argle bargle *stomp*

Oh, and apparently I have to set my alarm if I'm to watch the women at 8AM (USA vs. Norway, also).

A friend of mine is doing an internship at for NBC at the Olympics, and she's logging curling! So if you see clips of highlights from curling, she helped put it together!

punkhippiemom
02-11-2006, 11:02 PM
It's been snowing since 1 this afternoon here... Patience, Wynn dear - TWC says Mass/Boston is getting the best of it!! :thumbsup:

Darhain
02-12-2006, 12:17 AM
You can freakin' have it! Bar one whopper of a snowstorm in October (20 inches in 24 hours :shock: ), we've had a blissfully mild winter in North Dakota this year, and I am THRILLED! We have a few inches of snow on the ground now, but it's one of the few times it's hung around for more than a few days all winter. And we have yet to have negative temps this year -- WOO HOO!!!!

So, just keep all your durned snow out there on the east coast! And take ours, too. :lol:

margie
02-12-2006, 09:21 AM
The snow made it here!! We have about a foot this morning, and it's still snowing. My kids are beyond excited!

Ingrid
02-12-2006, 10:44 AM
We're getting off easy, I'm happy to say. Only 3 inches so far, with 4-6 more expected today. Snow doesn't have the same appeal for me when it's a weekend. I already have the days off. :rollseyes:

margie
02-12-2006, 10:57 AM
The snow lost it's appeal for me about 20 min ago- when I got my kids suited up and outside- only to have them start complaining "It's too deep!", "I can't walk!", "I have snow in my gloves!"...............etc.............. :rollseyes:

I predict they will be inside within the next 10 minutes, crabby and expecting hot chocolate after they dump 50 lbs of snow and snow clothes on the kitchen floor........ ;)

Ingrid
02-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Welcome to the Northeast! :rofling:

zara
02-12-2006, 11:31 AM
It was supposed to snow here too this weekend. It is currently raining intermittently (what do you expect in England?) I don't mind if it snows next week when kids are on half term. I hate driving in snow.

punkhippiemom
02-12-2006, 12:02 PM
I got nine inches last night... how bout you??? :eyebrow: :roflhard:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3/punkhippiemom/PICT0124-9inches.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3/punkhippiemom/PICT0123Snow9AM.jpg[/img]

mks22300
02-12-2006, 12:03 PM
My brother was about to shovel a foot of snow when he called earlier and he lives in N. Brunswick NJ. They are still suppose to get more snow as well as NYC. Ahhh (happy sigh), I can look out my window and see absolutely no snow falling. Usually it's my part of the state that's getting hammered!

Ingrid
02-12-2006, 12:20 PM
PHM--looks like 8 1/2 to me. They always lie! :roflhard: :roflhard:

punkhippiemom
02-12-2006, 12:59 PM
:roflhard: I was wondering who would say it first...
It was drifting as I was measuring... in our back yard, some places had almost two feet!! :shock: That was fun to shovel this morning :doh:
I just hope it sticks together enough to make a snowman this time... my kids are demanding a snowman...
"Remember Mom, you said we could last time and we didn't... Look, we even have carrots!!!... pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze........" This is what happens when it's only snowed twice all winter...

I feel sorry for all y'all even farther east - we're done with it now, but it's supposed to keep snowing all day in NY, NJ, and MA...
:help:

WynnieG
02-12-2006, 01:31 PM
It's so deep that when Owen Potato went out to investigate the back deck this morning before breakfast, he found himself swimming up to his neck! He panicked, turned around with some difficulty, and shot right back into the house.

When we got him suited up properly for a proper walk outside, he didn't want to go anywhere. Just stood under a tree for a minute, looking about unhappily, and then looking at my husband with a "pleeeeeaase, can we go in now?"

We're getting a new squall through here at the moment - the snow has been steady but the winds come by in bands, bringing heavier snow. The snowfall rate has nearly doubled in the last few minutes. I keep listening nervously for the crack of breaking limbs and falling trees.

Some photos of the "carnage" :rollseyes: :

sogrammatical
02-12-2006, 01:57 PM
Out here in Western Mass, we haven't gotten as much snow as the rest of you guys. Or at least it doesn't look that bad from my window - I haven't been outside yet. I have to go across campus in a few hours so I'll see how it is then. It's still snowing here though, and is supposed to continue until tonight.

Lisa1216
02-12-2006, 02:38 PM
I feel for you that are getting all of the snow. A few years ago we got 60" in a 36 hour period and it was no fun. I don't mind shoveling it as much as I hate to rake/shovel the roof off! Stay warm everyone!

JessicaR
02-12-2006, 03:06 PM
I normally would love a blizzard, but I'm hoping we don't get anything for a week. I'm leaving this Thursday for MI and coming back the next Wednesday and I suck at driving in the snow!

CateKnits
02-12-2006, 03:23 PM
The sky is BRIGHT BLUE right now! We didn't get any snow. :happydance: And this is great, because it seems like the sky is never anything but dingy gray.

Jenelle
02-12-2006, 03:36 PM
No fair!! We only got an inch :(

I want snow!!! :wall:

Ingrid
02-12-2006, 03:41 PM
Jenelle, you can come and take mine. Start with the steps, walkways and the cars. ;)

Jenelle
02-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Ahh okay ;)

I just don't understand how we didn't get hit with snow.... We live between mountains and usually we get 2ft of snow every time it snows :(

I guess we'll have to wait for the next snow storm.... I hope its not one of those years when you are just getting ready for spring and then BAM! You wake up and theres 4 ft of snow in your front lawn. :rofling:

Ingrid
02-12-2006, 03:46 PM
With the kind of weather we've been having, I wouldn't be surprised. :rollseyes:

Jenelle
02-12-2006, 03:48 PM
I know.... I remember about two or three weeks ago we were having 60 degree weather here and now we are back to cold again. :rollseyes:

Jan in CA
02-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Umm...should I mention that it's about 84 degrees here and my daughter is on her way to the beach? :roflhard: ducking and running...

http://bestsmileys.com/undersun/4.gif

On the other hand...my other daughter is stuck in NYC with a cancelled flight out and looking for a free wifi spot to pass the time!

http://bestsmileys.com/cold/9.gif

sogrammatical
02-12-2006, 06:22 PM
It's pretty much done snowing now and we only got about 3-4 inches. I'm disappointed. But at least there's snow on the ground now.

kellyjo32
02-12-2006, 06:52 PM
It was about 6 inches here, now it's a slushy 3. Yuck! We ended our weekend in WV early to come back here, since we were supposed to get snow at all points between here and there. It rained so much here before the snow started that the limbs are bent over and there was a slightly icy mess under everything. Hubby is sick so I shoveled the driveway...early this morning, thinking it would get icy. The sun came out and melted everything...argh! I could have been knitting while I was shoveling! And hubby is too sick to get on the cross country skis and check out the neighborhood. What a poopy day!

dustinac
02-12-2006, 09:37 PM
we were suppose to see some flurries maybe an inch if that.. saw nothing LOL.. except this evening the sun was shining and big ol' flakes fell for like 5minutes... my son wants to know when he can go sleigh riding this year we haven't even had a snow for him to play in... if its gonna snow I wish it would get it over with cause come March/ April I'm ready to open my doors and go swing on the front porch :lol: although how its been the past few years wouldn't surpise me if I saw snow in June... :shock:

Jenelle
02-12-2006, 09:47 PM
although how its been the past few years wouldn't surpise me if I saw snow in June... :shock:

Wouldn't suprize me either :lol:

mks22300
02-12-2006, 10:30 PM
In Western NY, we don't expect our "real" spring to start until the end of May and possibly June. I remember a Mother's Day a couple years ago I took my Mom to a local historical museum and it was freezing!!! And we never forget the ice storms that we've had. Just when you think it's save to go out in your short sleeves....WHAM!!!
I love WNY... our winters last for oh, 6 months, :rofling: spring maybe a week or two, summer is construction season and is hot and humid, and the autumn is usually pretty nice.

knittingachiever
02-12-2006, 10:41 PM
I think the worst of the storm managed to miss me (which is rare). We only got around 3 inches, in psychotic "flurries" consisting of mini-blizzards interspersed with sunshine. This is the weirdest winter I can remember in a long time.

Mer
02-12-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm so far out of this that I thought your subject referred to the Dairy Queen sort of Blizzard. :P

Ingrid
02-12-2006, 11:09 PM
I'm so far out of this that I thought your subject referred to the Dairy Queen sort of Blizzard. :P

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Let's talk in August!!

Sara
02-13-2006, 12:51 AM
Okay, mks, you're driving me crazy! Where are you? Are you close enough for a get together? Heckfire, you gotta be. Have I asked you this question before?

May 2005, I was taking a final and it started to snow. The younger students were in awe and couldn't believe it was snowing in May. I just laughed. :lol:

mks22300
02-13-2006, 01:00 AM
Okay, mks, you're driving me crazy! Where are you? Are you close enough for a get together? Heckfire, you gotta be. Have I asked you this question before?

May 2005, I was taking a final and it started to snow. The younger students were in awe and couldn't believe it was snowing in May. I just laughed. :lol:

I'm in the lovely town (slight sarcastic cough here) of Mt. Morris. Well, I shouldn't be so sarcastic, there are parts that are nice, like Letchworth State Park, the area where I live, and some other areas of the town. I guess we all have parts of our towns that aren't so nice! And Sara, we definitely are close enough for a get together. :D

Sara
02-13-2006, 01:17 AM
We absolutely MUST meet! I have a really nice LYS here. *said in a sing-song, wheedling type voice*

edit: And for those of you not familiar to this area-Letchworth State Park is an incredibly gorgeous place, mks' town is not to be missed for nature lovers. My town- go ahead miss it, you will anyway if the light is green. :rollseyes: ACK! not true! You guys would want to visit my LYS! how silly of me!

The back-from-the-dead scene with Luke and Laura on General Hospital back in 1993 or 1994 was filmed at Letchworth, they were on a bridge and a helicopter exploded (?? I never watched the show)

WynnieG
02-13-2006, 10:19 AM
The final tally for our yard was somewhere in the vicinity of 22-23", with taller drifts up to about 3'. The sky is blue, the streets are fairly clear, and the selfish morons up the corner have done NOTHING to clear their sidewalk.
There may well be an ordinance in town to clear one's portion of the sidewalk, but good luck enforcing that when there's only one traffic cop in the whole town.

The good news: I've lost two pounds this past week. Yay!

Sara
02-13-2006, 10:21 AM
:cheering:

PurlyGyrl
02-13-2006, 10:28 AM
We have magic snow ;) in Tennessee. It snows several inches overnight, you wake up to beautifully covered ground and trees, you decide that after breakfast you will go out with the family and play and take pictures for the scrapbook. As soon as everyone is dressed and the camera is ready, you open the front door only to discover that the tempature has risen, the sun is out and the snow is GONE! :shock: Yep, every last flake! This has happened twice this weekend. :rollseyes:

WynnieG
02-13-2006, 10:55 AM
I was hoping for that sort of luck here Purly...as we're supposed to get temps in the mid to upper 40's by midweek. Unfortunately, all that melting comes with a price tag, and the price tag is 21 degrees. So it'll melt, but then refreeze and make walking the dog an agony for me. Even with ice grippers pulled on over my hiking boots, I still fear slipping and falling on the ice.
I just can't afford to have another knee injury. If I wreck the last repair, I'll be on deck for a knee replacement, and I'm only 33. :(

PurlyGyrl
02-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Winnie, wishing you magic melting snow with no refreeze so your knees won't be in danger! Please be careful! I, too, have bad knees--only a little cartlidge left in the left and the right one is wonky, too, because of the constant weight shifting from my left side to my right. I'm trying to put off joint replacement too-I'm 44-but that's still too young because the replacement joints only have a life of what maybe 10 to 15 years before you have to do it again. I've got an Aunt that had one knee replaced 3 times :shock: and the other replaced twice :doh:. I don't want to have to do that!

WynnieG
02-13-2006, 11:50 AM
*hugs* You be careful too!

Yeah, those knee replacements don't last long - the new technology averages about 10 years; the first ones they came out with only lasted 5-7! Amazing what they could do to improve things in only a few years.

I did calculations at one point to figure out what my knee would cost me over a lifetime if I'd had it replaced at 29. Average life expectancy for women in my family tends to the mid to upper 90s. I'd be looking at $1M+ for this knee, given costs of surgery and factoring in inflation.
I reckon I'd better set up a savings fund for this tricky limb. :rollseyes:

mks22300
02-13-2006, 07:14 PM
[quote="Sara"]We absolutely MUST meet! I have a really nice LYS here. *said in a sing-song, wheedling type voice*
quote]

Trying to bribe me with a yarn store, huh? Sounds like fun! :D