PDA

View Full Version : Circular Needles

Reader
02-13-2006, 05:33 PM
I am just starting to use Circular Needles, and wondering if there are any circular needles, that have a thicker cording??? Wouldn't thicker cording eliminate all the twisting and coiling. :rollseyes:

Ingrid
02-13-2006, 05:38 PM
It's not the thickness of the cord, but the flexibility, or lack of flexibility, that causes the problems. Try soaking your cord in very hot water and that should help it not coil up on you.

If you stick around here enough, you'll see many of us laud the virtues of Addi Turbo circulars. The cord is so flexible you never have problems.

Reader
02-13-2006, 05:54 PM
this a reply back...When knitting with the circular needles, not sure it is flexability that is needed, as much as stablity....it feels so light and flimsy. (might need a fishing weight : )

Ingrid
02-13-2006, 07:15 PM
I understand what you mean. When I first knit with a circular, I couldn't imagine that the stitches would even be the right size.

The needles come coiled in the package, and unless you straighten them out somehow, they'll sproing back up on you, especially if your knitting flat. If you're knitting in the round, the weight of your knitting will eventually take over.

Maybe you can start a trend--fishing weight stitch markers. ;)

TamaraKnits
02-13-2006, 09:46 PM
I love my Denise set - the cords don't get twisty at all and they are much thicker than conventional cords. The set really is a good buy.

I've also heard Bryspun circulars are good in the cord thickness/ non-loopiness category. I've ordered a few pairs and will report back.

For some reason the whole boiling water thing never works quite to my satisfaction, I like my cords more like the Denise ones- not at all prone to curling.

Ingrid
02-13-2006, 09:51 PM
I've found, too, with non-Addi cords, if you're using a very long circular to knit something flat that's not very long, the cord does get in the way.