PDA

View Full Version : Knitting on the Go - Comfort Zone DPNs - Horrific problems!

sfavereau
02-14-2006, 08:44 PM
Has anyone had horrific problems with Knitting on the Go dpns? The points broke off within the first few rounds of my first ever sock, but I managed to rub them on my jeans to make the broken points somewhat useable again. Now, they are breaking about an inch or so from the tip. I HATE them... and there are no LYS that are open so I can replace them tonight. :doh: The dpns are supposed to be unbreakable, but they are just awful. They bend so easily that it makes knitting with them a chore. I KNEW I should've bought metal ones. Needless to say, I'm very dissappointed and will not be buying any more from them.

Ingrid
02-14-2006, 08:50 PM
That's terrible! Looks like the "comfort zone" for those needles is very narrow, indeed.

Thanks for the heads up.

KellyK
02-14-2006, 09:21 PM
WOW. That's INSANE! Ive never had trouble with any of my bamboo DPNs...mostly Crystal Palace, some Clover....

sfavereau
02-14-2006, 09:26 PM
I'm so afraid to try anything but metal ones now! I'm not a tight knitter either. I usually need to go down a size to get the right gauge.

Should I try bamboo, or just go for the metal ones?

KellyK
02-14-2006, 09:28 PM
What kind of straights and circs do you prefer? I find metal DPNs too slippy to make socks. I think you would probably be happiest with whatever material you use for everything else...

sfavereau
02-14-2006, 09:43 PM
My favorite needles are my Denises, so that's why I thought I'd go with polymer. I've used both metal and bamboo dpns before. I started off with the metal ones, found them too slippery and used bamboos until I got comfortable. I've heard the smaller bamboo dpns tend to snap in half, so that's why I'm thinking about metal ones. Now that I've calmed myself down, I can wait and go to my LYS tomorrow and see what they have in the way of sock dpns. I've only been there once and it was before I moved to Colorado Springs, so it's high time I paid a visit! ;)

WynnieG
02-14-2006, 10:17 PM
I would recommend bamboo for your smaller needles. If you find them "slick", a touch of extra fine grit sandpaper takes care of it.
Folks not accustomed or new to dpns often find metal needles "too fast" - I found them so when I began using them. If you do end up going with metal dpns, invest in a crochet hook near the gauge you're knitting in, because you will be using it to retrieve stitches. A lot. For dpns over 3.75mm I'd lean towards birch or some other hardwood.

The main trick with the fine gauge bamboo needles is to treat them like you would a fine writing instrument (ie a calligraphy pen), and hold lightly. If you hold them like a steak knife and try to knit, they will snap. Bamboo dpns do have a decent amount of give though, so once you get a feel for their tension threshold, you should be fine.

It's a shame about your "on the go" needles - any chance you'll be able to get a refund on them? I'd complain to the manufacturer, too. They definitely didn't perform as advertised (http://knittingonthego.samsbiz.com/page/150ww/Home.html).

sfavereau
02-14-2006, 10:50 PM
Thanks WynnieG!

I did just send an e-mail to Knitting on the Go. Katherine Myers (I believe she owns this company) had sent me a really nice e-mail when she first shipped the needles to me asking me for my impressions on the needles. I told her exactly what had happened. We'll see what happens. I don't even want my money back... I just want small dpns so I can finish my sock! Heck, I was nearly on the toes. :rollseyes:

Well, the trip to the LYS tomorrow will be good. My poor doggie has to have knee surgery tomorrow and the LYS will help calm my anxiety while he is "under the knife".

Jan in CA
02-14-2006, 11:13 PM
That's horrible!! :shock: I use magic loop for socks so I don't know much about DPNs, but I do like bamboo. Metal is pretty slippy for socks IMO.

Danielle
02-14-2006, 11:56 PM
I've never tried that brand of dpn's....but I have tried some I bought at hobby lobby, can't remember the brand and I threw the package away but I think there was a whale or something like that on the pkg...Anyhoo, I don't like them at all. They are too flimsey, and I can't get the speed up knitting on them because they bend so badly. They are slick, I just wish they were sturdier. I prefer bamboo and metal dpn's. They're great! :thumbsup:

Debbie
02-15-2006, 06:29 AM
Carol .... they aren't getting very good reviews as far as knitting goes ... but did you see this :)

US size #0, #1, and #2 are currently available only in yellow or lime green. Larger sizes are available in orange, yellow, lime, violet, marine blue, and hot pink.

quirky
02-15-2006, 07:50 AM
I feel for your dpn trouble.
I found I really like the balene needles. They ARE flexible - but not droopy. Like the others I have had trouble with metal, and bamboo and wood were too skicky. I thought the balene was a happy compromise.
Funny but I dont like balene for straight needle work except the dpns!

countingsheep
02-15-2006, 10:15 AM
I have a suggestion but not for needles - stores! I believe that you have a couple of LYS in Co. Springs but... it's always nice to know where others are!

You may already know about these two but I discovered one of them on my recent "vacation". I went to the "Red Wheel" in Castle Rock where we were staying. It's a bit up the road for you but it is right off of 25 - the exit before the outlet mall coming up from Colorado Springs. She has a lovely selection of beautiful yarns (exotic and basic) and needles as well as spinning supplies! It was VERY quiet when we were there (right at the holidays) and I believe that I spoke with the owner. She was quite helpful and even put down her own knitting to talk with me!
If you are up for a bit of a road trip - my SIL swears that the "Strawberry Tree" is THE place to go. It's also off of 25 but more into town - on Monaco near Evans. We didn't make it to this one and I was not happy but... I heard very good things.

Good luck with the replacement needles. I would end up buying every kind until I found what I really liked but that was before all of these wonderful people with wonderful suggestions came into my life!

Take care, Ang
ps - Boy, I wish I had known that you were just down the road over Christmas!

KatyKoolkat
02-15-2006, 10:17 AM
I just thought I would let you know that polymer is used in sculpting, as in this (http://www.lindawebb.com/owenpics.htm). No, that isn't a real baby!-but he was sculpted out of polymer, so it is no surprise (to me anyway, sorry!!) that your dpns are so floppy.

Katy[/url]

Sara
02-15-2006, 10:47 AM
A "polymer" is a compund of linked units. They occur spontaneously in nature and through the wonders of chemistry. DNA, casein (from cow's milk), cellulose, and starch are all polymers. As are rayon, polyester, and polystyrene. So don't be afraid of the word polymer, it's a general term.

My suggestion for DPNs are the Bryspun brand. I :heart: them.

Danielle
02-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Balene! that's what they are...maybe the larger sizes are sturdier, the sz 3's are just too flexible for me. :(

sfavereau
02-15-2006, 02:32 PM
Well, Knitting on the Go is sending me replacement needles at no charge. Apparently, I am not the first to complain about them and the manufacturer made some changes to the polymer. I'm willing to give them a try, but I did buy some Brittany 5" dpns from one of my LYS. The lady at the store told me that if they broke, I could bring them back in for a replacement. Wooohooo!

Ang, I did know about the stores in Castle Rock. We made an impromptu trip to the outlet mall there and I had quickly looked up the yarn shops in the area. :oops: The only problem was that we spent too much time at the outlets and then the shops were closed. :( Next time, I will go there FIRST! We moved to the Springs on Dec 19 (from Southern CA) so we would've loved some company for Christmas. Next time!

DannahK
02-15-2006, 04:15 PM
That's horrible... I have a pair of the comfort zones that are size ones, and I haven't had problems with them, other than them being very flexible.

Ellen Edwards
02-16-2006, 10:20 AM
OH, Sara--I was waiting for someone to mention Bryspuns!! I :heart: LOVE their little 5" dpns!! I think I ordered mine from Elann....I don't think I'll ever use anything to knit socks with again but the Bryspuns--they have just the right amount of flex for me, the stitches don't slip off, yet they slide off when you knit them. :inlove: I also have some little short Brittaney's (sp!) that I love!! They are either birch or bamboo--maybe birch is correct. Metal needles have NO flex at all, and they are slippery as far as stitches slipping off when you least expect it!! Metal ones I have seem especially hard on my hands!

The hardest thing I find is KEEPINGUP WITH MY DPNS!! I'm always losing one in the sofa, in my recliner, under the bed, at the doctor's office, etc. :blush: :rollseyes: I need to order more Bryspuns now, I just keep LOSING things!! Ahh!! Darn it--getting old is a PITA!!! :blush: