PDA

View Full Version : susan bates circular

momwolf
02-15-2006, 12:33 AM
Has anyone tried these? I :heart: them!!!! The coil is VERY soft and durable. I have NeedleMaster but I need 16 inch and with the needles on they measure 18 or 20. So I have to buy the 16s in all the needle sizes. My birthday is next week so guess what I'm asking for ? Very fexible and don't coil back up.Wish everyone used this coil!!!!!

Julie

RachelJean
02-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Susan Bates makes 2 kinds of circulars - silvalume and quicksilver. I really love the silvalume ones for the reasons you say - the cables are really flexible. The quicksilvers are ok, but the cable on them seems to be a little stiffer.

bjc1050
02-15-2006, 10:17 AM
They are my favorite circulars. I don't think you can find a better circular for the money. The points don't keep poking a hole in my fingers. Am still adding Susan Bates to my needle collection in spite of having a needle master set. Hoping the points on the larger Needlemaster will be just as gentle as Susan Bates. Am trying thimble patches with my Needlemaster until I get all sizes needed in Susan Bates needles.

bjc1050
02-15-2006, 10:22 AM
I have mostly Silvalume. Have one that is plastic or resin...not aluminum...haven't used it yet...hope it is as great as the Silvalume. Really wish Susan Bates would make an interchangeable set.

Jax3303
02-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Susan Bates makes Silverado, Silvalume and Quick Silver. The QuickSilver are grey needles with clear plastic cords. I don't like them, they feel weird in my hands. The Silvalume are aluminum needles with clear plastic cord. These ones are okay. The Silverado ones are the ones I love. thay have the flexable, black cord. The Silvalume and Silverado come in the same pink packaging and the Quick Silver comes in blue packaging.

TamaraKnits
02-15-2006, 08:08 PM
The Needlemaster set is actually made by Boye.

But since we're on the topic of Susan Bates I have as set of Quicksilvers and find the cord stiff and that even after boiling I don't like how coiled it is. The needle part itself is fine but the join is not as smooth as I'd like. I'm knitting a sock on two size two 16" Quicksilvers and it is a pain switching between needles because of the join.

Thanks for the other Susan Bates recommendations. I ordered some Addi Turbos and Bryspuns and I'll let you know how they are. (Though I've heard so many great things about the Addis I expect they will be fantastic.)

The cords and the joins are so important I am finding.

Edit - if you are going to go out and buy a bunch of 16" needles it would be very economical to get the Denise set. They are fantastic! The sizes included range from 5-15 however the size 5 is the same size as the cord so I don't find it as comfy as the rest.

momwolf
02-16-2006, 01:15 AM
I have looked at the Denise set and don't like the plastic needles. I'm a die hard metal fan, but thanks for the advise :D

Julie