PDA

View Full Version : Compassionate Knitting Project - Please Read

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

ritaw
11-21-2008, 03:23 AM
The blankets are looking lovely .
Kimmie,your pink one is coming along beauifully :)

cacunn
11-21-2008, 09:07 AM
Ok I came in about two years late to this KAL, yesterday in fact, and I admit I am still working my way through all the postings. However, again since I have been knitting for less than a year are there any patterns for the hats and blankets?

figaro
11-21-2008, 10:00 AM
The blanket I knit is really easy, here is a link http://www.groupepp.com/dishbout/kpatterns/grfavorite.html, it is actually for a washcloth but all do is instead of cotton, knit with something like Red Heart Soft Yarn (worsted weight) and knit until it is the size you want, I think I knit mine till it was about 2 feet then I started the decrease.

momwolf
11-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Kimmie
Here is blanket # 3:hug: I will mail out today.
Pics are of both sides.

ritaw
11-21-2008, 12:02 PM
I love the heart blanket Julie :) So very cute and extra special !

kimmie
11-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Chris,
Thanks for joining in! I am sorry for the enormous length of the thread...I really should do something about that because it's too hard to read them all. That said, many of the posts from the first few months of it are especially beautiful and touching and I love that people are still reading them.
In a nutshell, the bereavement coordinator at the hospital contacts me about once a year to tell me what they are running low on. Right now they are needing full-size baby blankets and any pattern you find that you like is fine. Soft, washable yarn in blue, pink, green or white is best. That said, there is sadly always a need for smaller things too...little hats, burial buntings, smaller blankets, etc. So, whatever you knit will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much!!
:heart: kimmie

kimmie
11-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Momwolf, your blanket is so very cute and special!!! I'll let you know as soon as it arrives...unless it comes on Monday or Tuesday, because I'll be driving up your direction to get my son from school. I doubt I can convince my DH to type knitting-related updates on here for me. I'll be back up to speed on Wednesday though!

cacunn
11-21-2008, 09:52 PM
kimmie don't shorten the thread! I and I think anyone who joins will want to read all the way through. It will just take a few days, weeks? I will see about some patterns and see what I can do.

Thanks for your effort and the effort of all who have participated as part of this.

kimmie
11-22-2008, 01:39 AM
Thanks, Chris, that made me feel happy!

kimmie
11-27-2008, 03:45 PM
Julie/Momwolf,
Your beautiful blanket arrived in yesterday's mail. It is truly lovely. Thank you, thank you, thank you, from the bottom of my heart. I think I will go to the hospital and drop off the three that I have most recently collected next week, unless there is another on it's way, in which case, I'll wait a little bit.
You ladies are the best and on this Thanksgiving, I am very thankful for you!
Hugs,
kimmie :heart:

momwolf
11-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Thanks Kimmie:teehee: Glad it got there ok.

coffeesnob
11-30-2008, 04:18 PM
I just walked into this thread, and I am glad I did! I am the new auntie to very preemie triplets. They were born at 28 weeks. Now three weeks old they are doing very well - growing every day. The NICU has been wonderful, and did have hats for them (although I promptly knitted hats of their own for them.) I hope that it is ok if I participate by donating hats and blankets to the NICU near to us. But I will gladly post pictures and share any patterns I use!

kimmie
12-02-2008, 10:34 AM
That's great, coffeesnob! Congratulations on being a new auntie!

cacunn
12-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Coffesnob - congratulations on being a auntie. What size did you use to knit the hats?

kimmie - I'm still in the process of reading the 700 odd posts here, but, do you have a count of how many blankets and hats have been donated?

kimmie
12-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Whoops! Sorry it took me so long to check in here. Cacunn, this thread has been going on for a long time. It started as a project I was doing for a class I was taking and we collected amazing numbers of items. I'd have to go find my project binder to see what the grand total was, but it was phenomenal. Then, last year, the hospital needed little premie burial buntings and again, people sent in quite a few of them. This year, the hospital wants full-size baby blankets, because sadly, they have had a lot of full-term babies die or be stillborn. Since these are way more time consuming to knit compared to tiny little hats, burial buntings and blankets, I am understandably getting fewer. I took 5 into the hospital fairly recently and I have, I think 3 more ready to go. I meant to take them this past week, but things suddenly got busy, so I'll either take them this week or the next. I will try to knit a couple more over the winter and then go back to the smaller items because usually that is what they need.
So, in answer to your very good question - I don't know, but I wish I did! All I know is that people have been so kind and generous with their time and support and they have done so for so many reasons.
:heart: :heart: :heart: kimmie

ckreed
12-08-2008, 02:53 AM
:heart: Hello All, I am new to these forums and am a new "knitter". Actually I cheat and am knitting on round and long looms. I find it faster and once I get used to this then I will try to learn more stitches. After I get done with Christmas (if I ever do) I plan on doing some preemie hats for the hospitals around here. This will be primarily for our county hospital that treats the indigent families and also the inmates at the correctional institutions around our area (there are lots). I will also donate to the other hospitals in the area. I am happy to join with you. Am I correct in thinking that preemie's should not have fuzzy hats? I feel since fuzzy yarn might prove to be respritory hazards that the yarn should be smooth. I did find a circular loom intended for mittens and am using the hand portion for the preemie hats. :woohoo:

kimmie
12-08-2008, 10:55 PM
ckreed, I think to be sure, you should contact the hospital that you'll be donating to and find out what their requirements are. The hats and blankets and such that have been knit for this project have been for babies that died, so I just don't know the answer about respiratory hazards. I'm sure that the hospital will be glad to have someone knitting for them!
Welcome to the wonderful world of knitting!! :)

kimmie
12-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi Everyone! I know this is a super busy time of year for everyone, including me, but I just wanted to pop in and say how much I appreciate all of you. I started another pink baby blanket. I really need to do blue next...I seem to be drawn to pink these days.
I hope that you have a Merry Christmas!

knitandpurl520
12-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Wow!

knitandpurl520
12-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Wow!

What a wonderful project! I am actually knitting a small preemie hat right now for some hospitals in my city. Good luck with the project, and if you would like, I can send you the pattern for the hat!

kimmie
01-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Hi Everyone! I'm almost done with my latest pink blanket and then I'll *finally* head over to the hospital with what I've collected. I hope that you all are staying warm. Things have been a little brisk around here!
Knitandpurl, thank you for your offer to post a pattern. I'd love to see what you are knitting!

silegose
01-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Kimmie...I have not read all of the posts. I still have a hard time reading about things like this at this time of the year. However, I would love to keep this going and join in the kal.

On this note... Please DO NOT respond in saying I'm sorry. I had one that I lost when I was 22 yrs old he turned 19 on January 11th this year. And I still have the knitted hat that I received from the hospital.

I do have a thought for you. If you start getting a lot again why not donate to other hospitals from where the people here are at. This is just a thought.

kimmie
01-15-2009, 08:50 PM
silegoose, thanks for offering to help! One of the sad things about the hospital I donate to is that they seem to always be needing things and I can't keep up by myself, so that's why every now and then I throw out a plea for help. There have been many people over the last couple of years who have started knitting for hospitals in their own area which is fabulous!!
Since you specifically requested that nobody say that they are sorry about your son, I won't, but I will say that if you do read through the old posts (which would take forever!!!) you will find that there are many people who have knit for this project who have lost babies or are close to someone who lost a child. For me, it is theraputic and I suspect that is true for many in a variety of ways.
:heart: :heart: :heart: kimmie