PDA

View Full Version : OT: When will this baby come?

mrselder
02-15-2006, 11:54 AM
Hi everyone!

This is my first pregnancy. The time seemed to have been going by pretty quickly until recently. Now it just seems to drag by. My hands are so numb that I can't knit for very long any more.

Did anyone else find that the last few weeks seem to go by really slow?

Ready for Baby,
Jen

Jax3303
02-15-2006, 12:10 PM
All 3 of my pregnancies were the same way. Just sped along until the last 5 weeks, and then it just lagged on......and on......and on..... each day seemed like it should have been a week. Just do your best to keep occupied, go for waddles...err...walks, play games, I know it's hard but rest and cherish the alone time. Nap whenever you want.....i miss being able to do that.LOL

Julie
02-15-2006, 12:37 PM
HEE, yes, I think it's always like that. The first trimester drags, the second flies, then the third can feel endless, especially when you get to the uncomfortably-huge part. :roflhard:

Hang in there.....go to the movies, go yarn shopping, all that good stuff that will be a little more complex once the baby arrives. :D And congratulations!

candicane
02-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Yes! I thought the last three weeks were horrible! Suddenly none of my clothes fit. Luckily, our little bean arrived a week early.

Candice

margie
02-15-2006, 02:00 PM
I was 2 weeks late with my first son. I worked until the week before my due date- thinking that a week off would be nice to do things around the house, nest a little, rest a little, etc- I didn't think about the fact that the one week could end up being 3 weeks!! I felt as though he would never get here. I gained 50 lbs, and my hands were so swollen that my fingers looked like sausages. So worth it in the end, though!! :heart:

knittingdoula
02-15-2006, 02:14 PM
On a personal note, I can totally relate. Plus, my second baby was overdue (by 3 weeks!) and I ended up moving things along with castor oil. (#1 was right on time.) I know it can seem endless.

On a professional note, I can also relate. Most of my clients have commented on how endless the last couple of weeks seem. Up to and including all of my friends who are doulas, midwives and childbirth educators. You'd think, what with doing this for a living, that we would be chilled out about the whole thing. Not.

Be careful not to let your impatience or exhaustion dictate your care, i.e. inducing the baby just to end the pregnancy (which can introduce a whole host of problems neither of you need) . Babies generally cook as long as they need to, and there's lots of neurological growth going on inside that we're not privy to.

Take some long walks, write in a journal, talk to supportive women who won't tell you labor horror stories (I can't stand it when women do that), perhaps create something. Spend these last few alone days with your hubby/partner.

In just a short time, you'll begin to feel contractions. And then, shortly, you'll enter the most special of all clubs. Being a mother will change your whole life - nothing else in my life compares to my accomplishments as a wife and mother, as old fashioned as that sounds.

Feel free to PM me if you would like to commiserate more or get a heads up over what to expect once the baby is born. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have. Hey, have you thought of hiring a doula to help you and your husband/partner/SO during the birth? (I just have to put in a plug for doulas whereever I go! :) :) :) )

Best of luck,
Alison

Lisa1216
02-15-2006, 02:44 PM
I was 2 weeks late with my first son. I worked until the week before my due date- thinking that a week off would be nice to do things around the house, nest a little, rest a little, etc- I didn't think about the fact that the one week could end up being 3 weeks!!

This was me with my second. I was due in July and had enough of no air conditioning and the swollen legs and varicose veins. But those little ones will make their grand entrances when they are good and ready. Hang in there :heart: and before you know it you will be holding you own 'Little One'. Good luck and I wish for you a quick and speedy labor and delivery!!

gardenmommy
02-15-2006, 02:56 PM
Hang in there! Yes, that baby will get here!

One indicator also is your mom's and even grandma's history, as in to how on-time they were with their babies. If the women in your family tend to go overdue, then you might too, but if they are usually right on time, chances are good you will be also. Doesn't always work that way though, but can be a general guideline.

I was born on my due date (and my mom's first!), and she said the most she was every overdue was 34 minutes with one of my brothers, and each of my own four were born either 5 days before or on their respective due dates.

Darhain
02-15-2006, 03:00 PM
Yep. By the end of my pregnancies, I was SO miserable and SO ready to just get on with it! A friend of mine says she thinks it's God's (or the Goddess or whatever diety you believe in ... or even the cosmos) way of preparing you for the baby, making you so miserable at the end of the pregnancy. Otherwise, none of us would ever actually choose to go into labor. :lol:

I absolutely second (or third) the idea of resting, relaxing and enjoying your last few weeks of "you" time!!! Once the baby arrives, you'll forget what it was like to go shopping without spending an hour and 45 minutes loading up the diaper bag with diapers and three changes of clothes (for you and the baby ;)) and a couple of small toys and some water and snacks, warming up the car, dressing the baby, redressing the baby after s/he urps all over whatever beautiful outfit you had them in, undressing the baby and changing yet another diaper and then redressing the baby AGAIN, attempting to shower and dress yourself while the baby suddenly decides s/he needs your EVERY ATTENTION RIGHT THIS MINUTE ... and you haven't even left the driveway yet. AND SLEEP IN NOW, cause one thing everyone forgets to tell you is that you'll probably not have another chance for at least five years or so, as kids are awake when they're awake, and so are you!

Hope the end of your pregnancy and your delivery are smooth and joyful for you, mama! :thumbsup:

quirky
02-15-2006, 03:25 PM
I was so consumed with how miserable I felt it never occured to me to think the pregnancy was taking a long time lol

Hang in there! Try a nice soak in a warm tub with epsom salts. Really helps those swollen parts!

But ya know - this is where pregnancy is most awe inspiring too. My son was a frank breech. He never turned. One night I woke up and my hand was on my stomach - and I could feel his hand under mine. I could feel 4 of his tiny fingers. I think thats when he really became real for me.

Bless you both!

Lisa1216
02-15-2006, 05:34 PM
Once the baby arrives, you'll forget what it was like to go shopping without spending an hour and 45 minutes loading up the diaper bag with diapers and three changes of clothes (for you and the baby ;)) and a couple of small toys and some water and snacks, warming up the car, dressing the baby, redressing the baby after s/he urps all over whatever beautiful outfit you had them in, undressing the baby and changing yet another diaper and then redressing the baby AGAIN, attempting to shower and dress yourself while the baby suddenly decides s/he needs your EVERY ATTENTION RIGHT THIS MINUTE ... and you haven't even left the driveway yet.

:roflhard: :roflhard: Oh the flashbacks!!

Jan in CA
02-15-2006, 05:59 PM
LOL to all! Yes, the last weeks seemed endless! You are NOT alone!

knitncook
02-15-2006, 06:08 PM
Did anyone else find that the last few weeks seem to go by really slow?

Bwahahahahahaha!! And how!! Not only did the last month before my son's birth seem to drag on forever, he was almost 3 weeks late. I didn't think he was ever going to make his appearance!

Cristy
02-15-2006, 10:43 PM
I didn't face the "last few weeks problem" as my daughter was 3 weeks early (weighing 9 lbs!) but I was in labor for 23.5 hours AFTER my water broke. I was pitching a fit to do it naturally and they were trying to wheel me away to have a C-section b/c I was beginning to run a fever and all...at the absolute last minute my doc came in putting on a gown--ready to wheel me away--and I convinced them to check one more time.....and she was a done bun. :) Fortunately delivery only took about 40 minutes.

Then she didn't sleep through the night until she was 20 months old...I thought I was going to die...LOL!

Good luck and I hope your little one comes soon and is very healthy and happy.

Ingrid
02-15-2006, 11:21 PM
Yep. By the end of my pregnancies, I was SO miserable and SO ready to just get on with it! A friend of mine says she thinks it's God's (or the Goddess or whatever diety you believe in ... or even the cosmos) way of preparing you for the baby, making you so miserable at the end of the pregnancy. Otherwise, none of us would ever actually choose to go into labor. :lol:

I absolutely second (or third) the idea of resting, relaxing and enjoying your last few weeks of "you" time!!! Once the baby arrives, you'll forget what it was like to go shopping without spending an hour and 45 minutes loading up the diaper bag with diapers and three changes of clothes (for you and the baby ;)) and a couple of small toys and some water and snacks, warming up the car, dressing the baby, redressing the baby after s/he urps all over whatever beautiful outfit you had them in, undressing the baby and changing yet another diaper and then redressing the baby AGAIN, attempting to shower and dress yourself while the baby suddenly decides s/he needs your EVERY ATTENTION RIGHT THIS MINUTE ... and you haven't even left the driveway yet. AND SLEEP IN NOW, cause one thing everyone forgets to tell you is that you'll probably not have another chance for at least five years or so, as kids are awake when they're awake, and so are you!

Hope the end of your pregnancy and your delivery are smooth and joyful for you, mama! :thumbsup:

I so remember dragging around those last weeks, wishing for a baby. Then when she came (two weeks late) I remembered fondly how easy it was to bring her along when she was still inside. :rofling:

koolbreeze
02-15-2006, 11:31 PM
oh lawd don't even remind me... i'monly 3.5 months!!! its not fair. thought the first 2 went fastcause i didn't know i was...but this is #5 for me and the 4th one isn't even 1 yet...so you got it easy!! enjoy your alone time while you can!
my 3rd was induced because i had low fluid. 4th was induced because i was so miserable and could barely walk and i had 3 others to keep up with so my doc asked if i wanted to be induced... you know he didn't have to aske twice! knittingdoula...what kind of problems can being induced cause?

scowling
02-16-2006, 01:56 AM
Being a mother will change your whole life - nothing else in my life compares to my accomplishments as a wife and mother, as old fashioned as that sounds.

This has nothing to do with the rest of the thread, but I just read this sentence and i wanted to say amen sister. As a leftwing, liberal feminist girl who is studying her *** off to go to medical school, it is SO NICE to hear motherhood given it's due. Maybe it's my circle, but my liberal, carrer minded girlfriends couldn't give a hoot about motherhood and don't have a clue why I'm so eager to procreate.

I want to be a doctor and help people and to change the world, but I know the the greatest acomplishment of my life will be the children I someday have the honor of raising.

knittingdoula
02-16-2006, 06:31 AM
knittingdoula...what kind of problems can being induced cause?

Glad you asked. Here's an outstanding article about elective induction, written by Henci Goer, a childbirth educator, doula, medical writer and well-respected author. Her book, The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, should be, IMO, required reading for every pregnant woman. She was an expert at Parentsplace.com and is now on staff at lamaze.com. I've spoken to her on the phone a couple of times, and she's a wonderful lady.

Instead, they hand out What To Expect When You're Expecting to everyone. Blah. Not a big fan of that book, simply because they treat their opinions as medical fact without stating so, which bugs me big time. Their opinions on direct entry and professional midwives was particularly awful in the editions I remember reading.

Anyway, here's the link:

http://hencigoer.com/articles/elective_induction/

Enjoy. She's very approachable, so if you have any questions, feel free to e-mail her.

Alison

mrselder
02-16-2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement! Your words and stories have really helped!
I didn't expect to get such a big reponse!

I definitely think if I was able to knit more I would be more content to wait:
I definitely don't want my little bean to come before he is ready, but I am so ready! I guess God is teaching me patience.

I went to my doc yesterday and my BP was up. I am hoping it will lower itself out by next week. It wasn't too high but higher than it has been for the rest of the pregnancy.

KnittingDoula: I definitely want to have as natural of a birth as possible (just finished our birth plan). My husband and I went to an awesome childbirth class geared towards natural labor. They talked about doulas, and we did think about it. However, we decided that we wantr it to be just the two (well, three) of us in the delivery room. But I think doulas are awesome!

-Jennifer

Ingrid
02-16-2006, 05:26 PM
When I was in early labor with my son (my second child) I was asked if it was OK for the nursing class to watch the birth, since they had been there all week and hadn't been able to witness one. I demurred, citing that I wanted my privacy and intimacy.

By the time I was ready to push, I didn't care if the whole d*mned hospital was there to watch me! I just wanted that baby out (no drugs, back labor, big baby). The nurses-to-be got to witness a birth, and you know what? I bet they remember it as well as I do.

Darhain
02-16-2006, 09:58 PM
When I was in early labor with my son (my second child) I was asked if it was OK for the nursing class to watch the birth, since they had been there all week and hadn't been able to witness one. I demurred, citing that I wanted my privacy and intimacy.

By the time I was ready to push, I didn't care if the whole d*mned hospital was there to watch me! I just wanted that baby out (no drugs, back labor, big baby). The nurses-to-be got to witness a birth, and you know what? I bet they remember it as well as I do.

I was asked if I would mind a few nursing students attending DD's birth, too. I was having an emergency c-section after a very long, difficult, drug-free labor (back labor, as I had a sunny side up baby) and I'd never even seen the doctor performing the surgery prior to my entrance into the OR. (I was attended by a midwife, and she couldn't perform the op, hence a brand new physician at the eleventh hour.) Not to mention that the guy who prepped me for the surgery got to see me up close and personal like (and shave bits I'd rather not remember :shock: ), and to this day I still don't know what he looks like, as he was wearing a mask the entire time he was in my sight. Like I'm gonna care if four other complete strangers see me completely naked and watch while I'm cut open!! What the hell, let's have a party! Just as long as WE GET ON WITH IT! :lol:

Ingrid
02-16-2006, 10:05 PM
One's perpective certainly changes, doesn't it! :lol:

ebrperk
02-17-2006, 04:23 AM
Just from recently experiencing your situation I can totally sympathize. Hang in there that baby will be here before you know it.

dustinac
02-17-2006, 09:48 AM
oh yes those last few weeks are crazy... I had to stop reading/watching anything about birth cause it scared me half to death... I was induced cause I went a week over; had the epidrual didn't want to be a pain to the nurses cause they were so busy so I waited to long to tell them I could feel the pain again; had to do the labor without any drugs for being to nice :rollseyes: LOL... I had Isaiah in 45 minutes of pushing 10lbs and 10oz... I was asked if a student dr and student nurse could watch.. I don't remeber agreeing but I guess I did cause they were in there.. the poor nurse was so scared it was her first delivery ROTFLOL I felt so bad for her.... the dr thought I had the epidural and it took so when he started doing his thing.. I could feel every stitch again being nice I didn't say anything till my mom noticed me squeezing my thumbs.. (dh was with Isaiah) and said oh no!!!! She tapped the dr on the shoulder he looked up and said kinda busy she said she can feel you.. after that I remeber nothing cause the nurse gave me something through the IV and he gave me something.. all I remeber is a sea of faces entering my room... and that I didn't get to hold my son till that night when I had him at 12:45 pm.. I think 7pm was my first holding of him... so my word to you is don't be nice LOL let them know if you need anything!!! I had to have my daughter by c-section cause of the complections of having such a big baby.. I recovered alot faster with her but man that 5am-8am wait was a killer.. I wasn't nervous of the procedure but of the spinal don't like needles... I also made sure the nurses knew I was to hold her and feed her first even if I was out of it... however I wasn't so I got to enjoy her right away... :thumbsup:

Its the best feeling in the world when you hear that little cry for the first time and you get to count all their fingers and thier toes.. its a joy that cannot be described... what is even more amazing is that you forget about the pain and nervousness and ya wanna do it again!! :lol:

Pixywhispers
02-17-2006, 11:37 AM
Oh gosh, bless your heart. I've had four kids! A csec, hospital, home, drugs, no drugs, painless, painful! BTDT! (And for the record the painless birth was at home with no drugs and no fear :) And all of them were "late" But it really was their perfect time. 24 days late, 8 days late, 8 days late, and 4 days late.

If you have the means talk to other couples who have used a doula! My brother thought he was being replaced, but these women do this everyday they have great ideas and reduce the chance of csections. They were so pleased with their birth. He said the doula was not an extra at all, she was a necessity. He thought I was crazy when that was my baby gift to them. But now he talks other men into it for thier wives. You can only avoid that first csection once. I cant imagine walking into labor without one. Knowing that someone is there for your every need when you are in such an uncertain pace is wonderful. It freed up Daddy to be a good Daddy and husband.

If you have not gotten a massage go get one! WOW! Are they awesome! I never had one till my last pregnancy and it really was my easiest end of pregnancy. I got two or three a week for the last three weeks. It was heaven. Im ten years older then I was with my first child and the massages made the end of pregnancy the easiset one Id ever had.

Go pamper yourself. Go to the movies without a baby, go to a nice restaurant, go visit friends, etc.

I know I couldnt knit at the end of the pregnancy with Miss Grace. I did start a chunky scarf on huge needles. It helped a little with my swollen hands, even just doing a row or two was comforting.

I'm thinking of you, know you are not alone, and that your arms will soon be full.

feministmama
02-17-2006, 11:52 AM
Being a mother will change your whole life - nothing else in my life compares to my accomplishments as a wife and mother, as old fashioned as that sounds.

This has nothing to do with the rest of the thread, but I just read this sentence and i wanted to say amen sister. As a leftwing, liberal feminist girl who is studying her *** off to go to medical school, it is SO NICE to hear motherhood given it's due. Maybe it's my circle, but my liberal, carrer minded girlfriends couldn't give a hoot about motherhood and don't have a clue why I'm so eager to procreate.

Yes choice is about having the choice to HAVE a child as well as to have an abortion. I think there are many feminists who would also argue that having a child is a privilege that not everyone can afford. So I believe the emphasis should be on creating a world where having children is not a luxery only a few can have to be able to make these kinds of choices. We should create a world where children are seen as a vital necessary addition to the success of humanity. Children are our future. Someone needs to take care of us when we're old but we also need someone to carry on our traditons, our cultrue, our stories. In this way, we don't ever die cuz our children carry us on throughout time. So yeah, this choice is not just a simple one. It has implications that are far more reaching than we think.