PDA

View Full Version : I NEED BABY BLANKET YARN RECOMMENDATIONS.....

roxtarchic
02-16-2006, 09:42 AM
cause i gotta be honest..... everything i've tried thus far (sirdar snowflake which looked LUSCIOUS online & now that i'm working w/it all i'm thinking is bathrobe... old, dirty, inevitabley smelly, lint attracting, dingy... bathrobe.... and w/ten skeins of the stuff - in two colors mind you - i'm KINDA wondering NOW WHAT)....

So... I saw bernat be-mine fluffy stuff.... and thought it was very cute.... altho i'm not BIG on the "ohhh look i'm an infant and it hasta be a pastel" colors... (thats what attracted me to the snowflake stuff cause it seemed to be muted colors).... i think maybe i'll go that route?

I wanted something a bit bulky... (think quick knit & i just like to work w/texture-y stuff) and washable. so yeah... not really knowing WHAT i want (and i HATE that)

and i wound up starting (YET ANOTHER) scarf... cause i'm just at a loss (and cant sit watching olympics w/out my hands doin something) :??

wow... maybe i should just make the blanket for me... cause i sound like a big baby dont i? wah wah waaaaah.... somebody HELP

thnx....

gardenmommy
02-16-2006, 10:36 AM
If you're not into pastel-y stuff, I LOVE the looks of this blankie...

http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer05/PATTwildstripes.html

I've never used the recommended Merino Style though, you'd have to get some input from others on that.

sara_jayne
02-16-2006, 10:47 AM
I made a baby afgan (http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/50561.html/) that called for using Lion Brand Homepsun. My LYS didn't have any colors that I liked for a baby blanket so I used Red Heart Baby Clouds (http://www.herrschners.com/products/product.aspx?sku=010710/) instead. The yarn was a little tough to knit with - after a while I got a hang of the texture and just trimmed up the blanket where the big snags where. It washed up beautifully and the mom I gave it to said she loves how soft it is for her baby.

Granted, this line have more pastels than you may be looking for, but it is baby yarn. There is a large selection of colors in the Home Spun if you want a quick knit - I think they even have baby colors in Home Spun.

Good Luck!

roxtarchic
02-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks so much... you guys
sarajayne, if the mom loves the way the babyclouds is so soft for her baby, then i'm all over it (cause thats what it's about) dont mind if it's difficult to work with at first... once ya get the hang of it and w/a blanket you've got time for that right, i'll definately take a look at it this wk/end

and i'm having a lil trouble w/knitty.com right now, but i'll definately check out the pattern & the material... i just knit a tank top (yes i actually finished it.... it even fits but it's still going to my sister cause she's got more cleavage to display than i do) w/this merino wool that i ADORED knitting with... so i'm all over that too.... ty garden mommy

i'm going to vt to (allegedly) ski... i've found a yarn shop (rutland lam's yarn) that i want to hit... so i think i'm gonna hit it hard... (like i'd be hitting the snow if i actually WERE goin to ski) heheh

thanks so much! and please... any more input??? (cause i've got three on deck to work on) ;)

(and can i TELL you how much i LOVE this site?)!!!!

wildforyarn
02-16-2006, 11:21 AM
When my sister had her baby she got a blanket made out of Caron Simply Soft. I do know that they have bright colors other than the normal pastels. I have felt it in Walmart before, but not purchased it. Am going to this weekend to make a baby blanket for a friend of mine. I don't know if they have a bulky version of this or not. But the original is not bulky, more of a worsted weight I think.

nicolethegeek
02-16-2006, 11:35 AM
RH Light & Lofty is basically the same thing as the Baby Clouds, but in grown up colours. I just finished a shawl for myself in it, and it's thick and squishy, and all the other things you want in something to keep you warm and comfy in the winter. {which we seem to have found today... -28C with a windchil of -41C here -- -40 is the same in F and C btw}

nicolethegeek
02-16-2006, 11:37 AM
I don't know if they have a bulky version of this or not.
Simply Soft comes in a Thick & Quick version... I've only seen that in white, black and neons though.

feministmama
02-16-2006, 11:59 AM
Another vote of confidence for caron Simply Soft.

CarmenIbanez
02-16-2006, 01:00 PM
If you're looking for super quick, Lionbrand has a version called "Velvet Spun". It is super soft and bulky. But alas, so far, only white and pastel colors!

Jenelle
02-16-2006, 02:41 PM
I can recommend Bernat Softee Chunky. It's VERY soft and just so great to work with. You could probably find it at walmart, and its only $1.50 a skein! :happydance:

MrTea
02-16-2006, 03:42 PM
This stuff (http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/secure-html/onlinegen/currgen/BlueSkyAlpacas/OrganicCotton.asp) is of the finest quality. It is very soft and has not been processed with chemicals or died in any way. Perfect for a baby blanket.

roxtarchic
02-17-2006, 10:53 AM
mrTea... that looks EXQUISITE but budgetwise.... i dunno... (which basically means i'm just going to havta find a way to justify it hahah)
i love the no DYES or irritants aspect... thnx

hmmmm & everyone seems to be diggin the Caron Simply Soft.... maybe i'll do my first run w/that (it's more friendly to my funds)

and i'm gonna havta see bout finding a walmart near me janelle (cause $1.50 aint no joke) thnx

:thumbsup:

CateKnits
02-17-2006, 12:19 PM
I used a double strand of Lion Brand Jiffy and a size 17 needle for a baby blanket recently. It was pretty quick; I finished it within four days. Jiffy is a bit texturey (if that's even a word) and it's inexpensive. It's acrylic and machine washable.

allegra918
02-17-2006, 12:19 PM
i'm doing one in patagonia natural chunky cotton and it's so soft to work with. the vogue baby blankets book has some great patterns. my dad is knitting two blankets out of that right now.

check out his thread for more info:
blog threads: Allegra's Dad