PDA

View Full Version : Estate sale yarn & what to do with it?

Miss Suzie
02-16-2006, 10:16 PM
I bought some real nice looking yarn (but now I don't know what to do with it!) I must have been a little crazed at the time!
I have been looking on the net to find out more about the yarn but haven't found out any info. I do know that the yarn is made in France the lable and it says Chahuteuse (Chat Botte) and that it is Acrylic. Each skein of yarn is 50 grams and 110 m 120 yards. a 10X 10 is 20 no 3 1/2 what ever that is?

It has a bumpy or curely texture to it and I bought 12 balls of a soft cream color and 7 balls of a soft sage green. I just don't know what came over me when I bought it :oops: :doh: :rofling: does any one have any suggestions on what I might make or can make with it? :??

I just want to use it some how :??

Thanks for any suggestions
Miss Suzie

Ingrid
02-16-2006, 10:22 PM
The gauge on the yarn seems to be 20 stitches over 4 inches on number 3 1/2 needles. Since it's French, that could be mm, or European sizing, though.

You've got 2280 yards of the stuff, so you could make just about any sized sweater with it. Or a large shawl.

I found these (http://www.anycities.com/siubhan/chales/chales005.htm) in French, maybe you can put it through a translator program and see if they're useable.

I just looked back and :doh: crochet, of course, is the same in both languages. You can knit a shawl with it, though.

Miss Suzie
02-16-2006, 10:40 PM
My Goodness that is a small needle...what the hey wasI ever thinking. Guess I will go looking in the knitting books for some pattern I can understand not French that is for sure, and since I am fairly new to this stuff I will hope I find just the right one right away.

I looked at your site and what beautiful things you have knitted! Some day some day I will have a portfolio to share with every one.

oh, I need to get something to eat it is 6:30 and I just cannot think anymore, I am feeling brain dead and this yarn has gotme all in tied up in knots, trying to figure this out.

Hugs
Miss Suzie

carollovesyarn
02-17-2006, 02:12 AM
Don't forget you can always knit using two strands! in which case you could use a US 11 (or US 10.75 if you have one).

Sylvie
02-17-2006, 03:11 AM
Ingrid is right, gauge is 20 stitches for 4 inches and needles are 3,5 mm (US 5-6??).

If you need any translation, don't forget you've got a french knitter on that board! :thumbsup: :XX:

Miss Suzie
02-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Sylvie, looking at the link you gave me, I came across this http://tricothirondelle.canalblog.com/ what a beautiful little sweater.

Oh, do I wish I could read and speak French, it is so very beautiful.

Would you please tell me if I can purchase this pattern in English? I would love to beable to knitt something like that for my daughter.

I also loved the crochet patterns that Ingrid pointed me to. But at last I am not a crocheter but these are so pretty maybe I should take crocheting up instead of knitting :doh: like that is going to happen... :rofling:

I think I will knit a shawl with the yarn just looking for a pattern now.
Hugs, Miss Suzie