PDA

View Full Version : Now I understand the Addi Turbo love...

2girlsmom
02-16-2006, 11:45 PM
I got 2 pair from that Jeff guy off ebay. I am a new knitter, tried the straights in my Boye kit... some Boye Balene needles... I tried SILs Denise set (love that one... hate all the others).

Anyway my Addi Turbos came today and they are wonderful! So light, easy to use (even for a beginner). I am kntting faster than ever! LOL

I am going to order a couple more pair! :thumbsup:

Ingrid
02-16-2006, 11:46 PM
:roflhard: You think you're going to order only a couple! They're almost as addicting as knitting itself!

2girlsmom
02-17-2006, 01:11 AM
Oh great. I'm in trouble, aren't I. :roflhard:

I asked for the Denise set for my birthday, so there aren't many sizes I'll still need... but I do really love these turbos!

Julie
02-17-2006, 02:17 AM
Denises only go down to size 5...so you'll need 2s, 3s, and 4s at the very least.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jan in CA
02-17-2006, 02:43 AM
Denises only go down to size 5...so you'll need 2s, 3s, and 4s at the very least.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yeah and then there are the different cord sizes... ack. :shock: I want to grab some, but have no idea which ones! :shock:

knitqueen
02-17-2006, 02:59 AM
Why doesn't Jeff carry any lengths BETWEEN 32" and 60" though??? :thinking: I love Addis for magic loop but the 60" is almost toooooooo long. I have a 40" that I bought from a LYS (for about $18 I might add :shock: ) that is the perfect length for magic loop, as far as I'm concerned.

Ingrid
02-17-2006, 08:36 AM
I agree. 40 is excellent for magic loop, and 32 works well for two circs, too. 24 and 29 will work for all but he most humongous sweater, and you need 16 for hats and sweater necks. In sizes 1-15 at least. ;)

sara_jayne
02-17-2006, 11:22 AM
I'm fairly new to knitting and admittedly I don't pay attention when I shop! I needed a pair of circulars to work on a baby blanket so I went to my LYS and picked up the first pair that were the right size. After reading all these forums I was curious about the quality of my new needles. Call it dumb luck or a beginners "mistake” but I had actually bought a set of Addi Turbos! I LOVE them. I guess it is sad that I bought them without looking at the price tag - but like Ingrid has said - the needles are an investment....and I have a feeling that I'll be making QUITE an investment!!

2girlsmom
02-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Well, I've been having a problem of knitting too tightly, and with the turbos, I'm actually knitting a little too loose! :roflhard: I am amazed at how fast I can knit a row. I'll have to get used to the speed, but I love em! :heart: :XX:

Ellen Edwards
02-17-2006, 12:40 PM
GAH!!I want to TRY some so bad, but I PROMISED dh that I would not order/buy anything else until we got our budget in better shape!! We were a little reckless last year, and then when we had a large , very unexpected expense to come up, our account went too low for comfort!~! So he is not buying guitar and banjo related items, or cds, and I said I would not get anything else in the knitting or book categories!! (However, I DID see him perusing the music catalog last night for a good while!! Hmm :?? )

So.....I guess I'll just wonder what they're like for awhile longer!! Jeff will be long outta Addis before I can try some!! :(

quirky
02-17-2006, 01:04 PM
I would not worry about Jeff being out of Addis - he is a distributor who just happens to distribute via e-bay.

I agree about the Addis being good for beginners. If I were to tell someone who had never knitted before what to buy, Addis would be the first thing I suggested. The quality makes knitting so much easier!
Beginners have enough to worry about without fighting their needles.

And really 14 bucks average (in the lys) isnt that big of deal.
Thats only 3 or 4 stops at starbucks, 2 or 3 fast food lunches (for one),
1 movie ticket and small drink, 2 knitting mags, 1 cd, 3 skeins cheap yarn...you get the idea. Its easy to think of ways to cut your budget to fit in Addis if you really want them :)

Sara
02-17-2006, 01:09 PM
I deeply admire your rationalization skills, quirky! ;)

Quietheart
02-17-2006, 01:39 PM
My first Addi Turbos are on their way to me!
Hubby just went to pick them up at my lys, it was the only place around that had them. Michaels and hobby lobby didn't.
The price made him gasp a little lol
I can't wait until he gets home with them!!
I had to get 2 so I could learn this socks on two circular thing from Cat Bordhi's book I got months ago and promised myself I would not do it until I had addi turbos.
I use denises but they don't come small enough. So "sadly" I had to get addis :)

Kath

2girlsmom
02-17-2006, 02:07 PM
Quirky, I like how you think! :rofling:

So, if I don't buy anything at the pampered chef shows I've been invited to, think of all the money I'll save and can spend on needles! :D :XX: I just had a show... and for what I ordered, I could have bought a ton of Addi's from Jeff. I do need to hold off, I am getting that Denise set for my birthday, I think...

Nana
02-17-2006, 02:40 PM
I just discover a new knitting store in small town near me ,Acton Ontario. I think my fellow Canadian knitter's will be glad to know that she carrys Addis Turbo needles. And will ship them anywhere. Her website is www.headwaterwool.com Oh and did I mention that they are $12 !!!!. My last pair I paid $20 for. And to all the American knitters, did I forget to tell you that they also ships internatianl !!!! So let me see mmmm, with the exchange rate that sould work out to about what ? $1.50 for you :rofling: I also bought a skein of chucky yarn there, It was only $5 for 100 grams (pure wool). And the swatch knit up lovely. So check it out . And let me know what ya think :XX: Karen

Jan in CA
02-17-2006, 02:47 PM
I agree. 40 is excellent for magic loop, and 32 works well for two circs, too. 24 and 29 will work for all but he most humongous sweater, and you need 16 for hats and sweater necks. In sizes 1-15 at least. ;)

:shock: GAH! I think I'll go peruse Jeff's ebay site..I've never bought anything from ebay though. :shock:

And Trudy...Ugh. I know all about unexpected expenses and shot budgets. We just got a handle on the $5000 dental bills from last year when our daughter got into the university. :rollseyes:

I told DH that I NEEEEEDED some new needles for a few projects http://www.emotihost.com/glass3/6.gif and he said to get what I wanted! :cheering:

brendajos
02-17-2006, 02:52 PM
i just bought a whole bunch of 24 inch little ones from jeff so that i can do 2 circ knitting now that i have learned the magic of it! ;) uumm...yeah that means i bought two of each...lol. i guess if i had been thinking i would have done different lengths but seriously, if i ever say that i am going to knit something that requires a 32 inch cord on size 0 needles have me committed! :shock:

brendajos
02-17-2006, 02:53 PM
btw can i say that the TEN addis that i bought from him yesterday cost me well under $100 shipped!

Angelia
02-17-2006, 07:23 PM
TEN!! :shock:

I'm afraid of getting sucked into Addi-World...I want to go there, but I fear I'll never leave!

Ingrid
02-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Eventually, you will run out of needle sizes to buy, and then you can return to the large cardboard box you've moved into! :rofling:

brendajos
02-17-2006, 07:57 PM
well it made perfect sense to me...i sold gardenmommy some of my kureyon and the money was sitting there in my paypal account. couldn't just leave it sit there ya know....sheesh. of course it wasn't 10 addis worth of kureyon but my logic says that half the needles were free! :rofling:

i think not having to explain this logic to a husband is reason #238 to give to my mother about why i am not married yet!

Quietheart
02-17-2006, 07:59 PM
I got my addis! Immediately I put the half sock I had on DPNs on them and I have to tell you, doing socks on two circs is a real joy if you don't like DPNs. Finished the sock in no time at all. Although I did loose track of rows a few times because you don't stop as much and just go and go when on two circs lol

But I have to admit, addis were not all I thought they were going to be. The cable is just as twisted up as any other I've ever bought , and the join still snags somewhat on me. And twisted and boinged and got in the way just as much as the other cheaper ones I have. (not my denise's , they aren't small enough).
I know I can soak the cable in hot water, but for that kind of money, they should have to have that done for me! LOL

Kath

brendajos
02-17-2006, 08:07 PM
that's odd...i have never had a cord that was coiled up and twisted like the clovers were. :?? what length did you get? :thinking:

Angelia
02-17-2006, 08:23 PM
of course it wasn't 10 addis worth of kureyon but my logic says that half the needles were free! :rofling:

That's my kind of thinking! :thumbsup:

i think not having to explain this logic to a husband is reason #238 to give to my mother about why i am not married yet!

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Quietheart
02-17-2006, 08:41 PM
that's odd...i have never had a cord that was coiled up and twisted like the clovers were. :?? what length did you get? :thinking:

I got 24 and 32 inch, and both were coiled up like snakes, still are hours later. *shrug* As I said, just didn't meet all my expectations.

Kath

Ingrid
02-17-2006, 08:48 PM
I am very surprised by that, too. I just opened a new set to see, and though it's curved, it's gentle enough that I know once I had stitches on it, there wouldn't be a problem.

It's probably that there were so few stitches on the needle for the sock that the cord didn't really get any of them. Maybe.

Julie
02-17-2006, 08:57 PM
Wow, that's really surprising. I've never had curly Addis -- not even the 32"s. :??

gardenmommy
02-17-2006, 09:38 PM
well it made perfect sense to me...i sold gardenmommy some of my kureyon and the money was sitting there in my paypal account. couldn't just leave it sit there ya know....sheesh. of course it wasn't 10 addis worth of kureyon but my logic says that half the needles were free!

I'm glad you didn't have 10 Addis worth of Kureyon, you may have gotten me for that too! :rofling: I have been gazing longingly upon my Kuyeon since it came in the mail today though. ;)

If ya'll don't stop this Addi talk, I may have to consider some too, looking at the size 0 and 1 since those are the only brand of circs I've seen that small, like for socks and such.

And I do have Jeff bookmarked.

Angelia
02-17-2006, 10:32 PM
I have him bookmarked, too. Have had for awhile. Daily, nay, HOURLY, he beckons me...I don't know how much longer I can take it. He's very persuasive, and I suspect this thread was all his doing! :shock:

TheLuckyOne
02-17-2006, 11:53 PM
:??

Lol. I didn't know Addi Turbos were all that special. The Turbos and Naturas are all my one and only LYS carry. They are the only things I've ever knitted on. Cool. Shows how much I know.

I have about 7 different sizes and I definatley prefer the Turbos over the Naturas. The join is SO much smoother on the Turbos.

I also have never had one coil. Ever.

Ingrid
02-18-2006, 12:07 AM
I don't think I bought my first Addis intentionally either. I imagine they just happened to be the size I needed. Since I didn't have the package, I didn't know what kind they were until I ordered some others just for the size. When I saw they were the same as the ones I loved, I made a point to notice and I never went back. I still have others I use out of necessity, but someday. . . .

quirky
02-18-2006, 12:38 AM
I only have 2 turbos so far - but neither are stiff or coiled.
I bought the first because it was the only one I could get in a 40 inch (for magic loop) and after trying it I HAD to have another for my current project.
It was the lack of stiffness in the cord that sold me! I am really suprized that anyone would find a stiff set.

knitwit2
02-18-2006, 12:39 AM
I just ordered some Size 15 Addi Turbo from Jeff. Boy, he has great prices huh? :happydance:

Jan in CA
02-18-2006, 12:55 AM
He sure does! I just ordered a size 3 and 4 - 16 inch from him, too! They were close to half the price at my LYS! :shock: :cheering: :cheering:

brendajos
02-18-2006, 01:06 AM
I am really suprized that anyone would find a stiff set.

yeah i would seriously consider taking them back if they are that stiff and coiling on you...they really shouldn't be doing that! :(

Esmeralda
02-18-2006, 02:35 AM
Okay ladies, I am very new to knitting. Barely on my 3rd project, so i have not been exposed to the Addi Turbo's. I have seen them mentioned in this forum alot though. Can someone tell me who this Jeff guy on ebay is or what his store name is or a product # so I can check it out for myself. Also, all Addi Turbo's are circular? :thinking: So does that mean they are used for knitting larger items like sweaters or blankets?

Jan in CA
02-18-2006, 03:05 AM
Esmerelda, you can use smaller circular needles for hats and socks, too. I don't like DPNs so far and have only used the circs for everything. Here is Jeff's ebay (http://stores.ebay.com/My-BestShop_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm) site. I've seen them at my LYS, but not stores like Michaels or Joanns. They are about twice as expensive in the LYS as Jeff sells them for.

Angelia
02-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Which circs do you use, Jan, for socks and such? Are they like these (http://www.halcyonyarn.com/knitandcrochet/knitneedles.html) at halcyon yarns (scroll to the bottom of the page)? I really would like to get a couple of these, but I'm worried they'll be too tight to work the stitches easily...they're not?

2girlsmom
02-18-2006, 10:21 AM
I have him bookmarked, too. Have had for awhile. Daily, nay, HOURLY, he beckons me...I don't know how much longer I can take it. He's very persuasive, and I suspect this thread was all his doing! :shock:

Nope, this is just ta thread from an innocent newbie. :) ;)

Jan in CA
02-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Which circs do you use, Jan, for socks and such? Are they like these (http://www.halcyonyarn.com/knitandcrochet/knitneedles.html) at halcyon yarns (scroll to the bottom of the page)? I really would like to get a couple of these, but I'm worried they'll be too tight to work the stitches easily...they're not?

Angelia...I have been using my Denises for hats and socks. Any 16 inch circular needle can be used for hats, you just need to choose the needle type you are most comfortable with. My beef with the Denises is that the closest you can get to 16 in is 17 inches. Not a huge difference and it usually works out okay. On the ill fated KO sock I used magic loop with a 40 in circ. I have an order in for a couple Addis so now I'll be able to test them against the Denises and see how I like them. And about your question... since I haven't sucessfully used DPNs I don't know their behaviour, but knitting in the round using all knit stitch does tend to be tighter, but I haven't had a huge problem with it. Give it a try!

mks22300
02-18-2006, 02:34 PM
I've bought 6 sets of addis from Brambles Crafts and Classic Yarns on ebay. She's out of the UK and I've recieved my needles faster than some stuff from the US! Her prices are great too, even with the exchange, it's still half the price that it is here. She also has some lovely yarn and other little doo-dads that are great prices.

Angelia
02-18-2006, 02:35 PM
But isn't that just too wide a diameter for socks? I can see using a 16" for hats, I've done that. So when you said you were using a circ for socks, you meant magic loop?

Julie
02-18-2006, 02:36 PM
I use two 16" circs for socks. :D

Jan in CA
02-18-2006, 02:46 PM
But isn't that just too wide a diameter for socks? I can see using a 16" for hats, I've done that. So when you said you were using a circ for socks, you meant magic loop?

I thought I mentioned that, sorry! Yes, I used magic loop and it worked great. Two circs work well, too and they can be any length as long as the needles are the same size.

Angelia
02-18-2006, 05:26 PM
I need to learn that...I've only tried it once (with one needle and a long cord) and my experience was not a good one...

Doublereeder2
02-19-2006, 02:11 AM
After reading about Jeff's, I scurried over to Ebay and bought 2 pair of 24" #2s. I love these for socks (usually use #0 or #1). But you never know what you are going to need, right?!
They have been shipped, so I am anxiously awaiting their arrival. :sunny:

brendajos
02-19-2006, 02:24 AM
they are coming from hong kong but i have never had them take more than a week except over holiday periods which i just realized is almost the only time i ever seem to order from him.....including this coming week...sheeeesh.... :rollseyes:

Julie
02-19-2006, 02:54 AM
:doh: Monday is a postal holiday...RATS

(I'm waiting for yarn :rollseyes: )

Jan in CA
02-19-2006, 03:14 AM
I need to learn that...I've only tried it once (with one needle and a long cord) and my experience was not a good one...

ONE needle?? How does that work? :?? Believe me..it works much better with two needles on one circ. :roflhard:

BTW...I have been using magic loop when the top of a hat gets too small for the 16 inch, too. Works great!

Angelia
02-19-2006, 08:24 AM
Not one needle literally; I just meant I was using one circular needle and a long cord--there were two tips! :rofling: :rofling: :rofling: I'll bet you were thinking "um, no wonder it didn't work, daft woman!"

Indygirl
02-19-2006, 09:14 AM
Wow, what a great price on Jeffs needles. I ordered 6 from him and all together it was only $52. including shipping. I thought this was a good time to stock up on the sizes I didn't have :D

brendajos
02-19-2006, 09:15 AM
aaaah and now he has you in his web too! welcome! ;)

Angelia
02-19-2006, 09:51 AM
I simply must turn off notifications for this thread. You EVIL people are tempting me!! :twisted:

Indygirl
02-19-2006, 10:05 AM
I simply must turn off notifications for this thread. You EVIL people are tempting me!! :twisted:

But just think of all the fun you would be missing. I'm a total addict to all the threads. It has helped me to use good judgement as to how to spend my money ;) I now have lots more stash & ndls, patterns. I'm good to go.Now all I need is more time to use it all.
Just go for it :thumbsup:

Angelia
02-19-2006, 10:07 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Enabler!! :heart: :heart:

Notice that I did not turn off the notifications for this thread...

Julie
02-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Seriously, I think of it this way: when I buy from Jeff I can get twice as many needles. So I buy them in twos...excellent bargain shopper that I am. :thumbsup:

Indygirl
02-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Seriously, I think of it this way: when I buy from Jeff I can get twice as many needles. So I buy them in twos...excellent bargain shopper that I am. :thumbsup:

You go girl. I say we only go round one time, so go for it :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
02-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Not one needle literally; I just meant I was using one circular needle and a long cord--there were two tips! :rofling: :rofling: :rofling: I'll bet you were thinking "um, no wonder it didn't work, daft woman!"

:roflhard: :roflhard:

Well it just takes practice to get the hang of it. At first it seemed like the ends of the loops weren't going right, but now it seems to work fine. When I am working on it I sort of actually have my hands holding the loops and the ends of the material so it holds them closer together. Hard to explain..

Ellen Edwards
02-20-2006, 09:43 AM
"And really 14 bucks average (in the lys) isnt that big of deal.
Thats only 3 or 4 stops at starbucks, 2 or 3 fast food lunches (for one),
1 movie ticket and small drink, 2 knitting mags, 1 cd, 3 skeins cheap yarn...you get the idea. Its easy to think of ways to cut your budget to fit in Addis if you really want them" (from an early post.....

I ain't got the money to buy one of them things either, girlfriend!! :crying:

Jan in CA
02-20-2006, 02:04 PM
"And really 14 bucks average (in the lys) isnt that big of deal.
:crying:

Yikes! It IS for me! :shock: I got two from Jeff for $16. :cheering:

samm
02-22-2006, 08:19 PM
I have just purchased my first addi turbos and am forcing myself to finish the sock on the beautiful german wooden needles before starting the next socks on the addis. They even look beautiful! Thanks to Karen for the tip about the shop in Acton. I'll check that out! samm in canada

brendajos
02-22-2006, 08:36 PM
lol i had to make a hat that i had no head for so that i could use my first sets that arrived! seriously the tinkling of them bumping into each other just delights me!

Jan in CA
02-22-2006, 09:28 PM
My Addis shipped today!

The bad news is I got size 3 and 4 - 16 in needles... I should have gotten longer cords so I could at least use them for magic loop, as it is now I won't be able to knit the kid hats in lightweight yarn... bah!

Mer
02-22-2006, 10:34 PM
Um...is everyone going to throw things at me if I say I don't really like Addi turbos? They're nice quality and all, but too slippery for me.

:hiding:

Esmeralda
02-22-2006, 10:56 PM
Okay I'm really still very new. So please don't laugh. I keep hearing everyone rave about the Addi Turbo's and I would like to try them out soon. But my question is "What is a magic loop?" :oops: I keep hearing about it along with Addi Turbo's but have no idea what it means. :thinking:

aylaanne
02-22-2006, 11:03 PM
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/videos//adv-tech/magic-loop-knitting-rds.mpg

Ingrid
02-22-2006, 11:16 PM
Um...is everyone going to throw things at me if I say I don't really like Addi turbos? They're nice quality and all, but too slippery for me.

:hiding:

:roflhard: Obviously, you knit quite well without the Addis, Mer! I love the fact that they're slippery. It's ok that you don't!

Mer
02-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Thanks Ingrid. ;)

Esmeralda, I love magic loop! It's a great way to do small diameter circular knitting. aylaanne linked you to the video.