PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

Jenelle
02-17-2006, 09:31 PM
Help!! I need an easy hat pattern that'll knit up within 24 hours!!

I promised my cousin a hat and I need to get it done by tomorrow evening! :(

Any ideas? Btw.. the only needles i have are straights!!

Ingrid
02-17-2006, 09:44 PM
http://www.frugalhaus.com/scripts/beghat.asp

One for bulky yarn here (http://www.divaknitting.com/patterns/onesizehat.pdf).

http://www.knitlist.com/95gift/simphat.htm

I got these from kpc, so I'm sure you can check there, too.

I wanted to add that I did a scrunchable hat with double stranded worsted weight on straight needles. It only took a few hours. It was a gift, so I don't remember how many I cast on. It wasn't many, though. I'll see if I mentioned how many it was in the old thread.

Ingrid
02-17-2006, 09:46 PM
The hat is not technically on line. I just used general hat guidelines based on the scarf I did. I don't have size 15 circs, so I used straights, cast on 54 stitches and worked k2, p1 ribbing across both sides, same as the scrunchable scarf. I used doubled worsted weight, too. When I got to the decreases on top, I tried to get the stitch pattern to sort of match, but the pattern is so big and varigated anyway, it looks ok. I used a crochet hook to pull the yarn through the top stitches, and since it was there, I crocheted the seam too. Can barely tell it's there because of the bulkiness of the hat itself.

I found what I did.

Jenelle
02-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Do you think this (http://www.knitlist.com/00gift/simple-hat-recipe.htm) will work? My cousin is a guy and 22. I was thinking of maybe excluding the pompom.

Thank you Ingrid. Those patterns look LOVELY!! I love the scrunchable scarf one. I'm thinking of getting some yarn tomorrow while I'm at Walmart and getting started on my chemo kids items :)

For the scrunchable hat though, what type of yarn did you use? Worsted weight or bulky?

Ingrid
02-17-2006, 10:03 PM
A simple ribbed hat would work just fine. I didn't imagine your cousin was male. I don't know why--I have lots of male cousins. ;)

I used two strands of worsted for the scrunchable hat and size 15 needles.

Jenelle
02-17-2006, 10:10 PM
Hehe don't worry, I can understand, since you would figure that gals would rather have hand knit hats than going to the store to buy one :lol:

Ahh, that's perfect!! I'm getting paid for the hat tomorrow, then me and mom are taking a trip to walmart. I'm getting some Carons Simply Soft in a lavendar color... most likely two skeins of it, or one of those huge ones for 4 dollars.

Thanks ingrid!!! :)

Ingrid
02-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Have fun!!

Jenelle
02-17-2006, 11:27 PM
Will do!! :)

Shandeh
03-06-2006, 07:12 AM
Golly, I wish I had seen this request. I was still in the hospital, getting my hysterectomy on the day you asked.

Here is the hat I always use now for my guys. I'm married, and I have 3 sons and 1 step-son. I also have other male family members. They all love this pattern, because it makes a very thick, warm hat. It's made with 2 strands held together at the same time.

http://www.artisokka.com/patterns/xmashat.html

Here's my hubby in his "floating head" photo, modeling the hat I made for his dad. :D

Shandeh
03-06-2006, 07:18 AM
And here is the beanie hat I always use for my teenagers:
http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/freeKnittingPattern_hat.asp

Here's one in progress:

Jenelle
03-06-2006, 01:42 PM
The first pattern, do you think I could use size 9 16in circulars?? I have to say that both of them are really awesome!!! :thumbsup:

Shandeh
03-06-2006, 04:45 PM
I love these patterns too. I was so glad to find them, because when I asked my guys what they wanted me to knit, every one of them said, "A hat!"

I always use circular needles myself, but I use size 10. The hardest part is the beginning, when you're doing the moss stitch. That's the thickest part of the hat.

You have to switch to double points when you start decreasing, though, because it's impossible to work with one circular needle when the hole starts closing up.

Jenelle
03-06-2006, 09:21 PM
Okay. What yarn did you use for the first pattern? I'm sorta on a 'budget' with knitting supplies(my mom has a problem with me wanting to get more and more yarn :rofling: ), and all I have is what I have right now.

Shandeh
03-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Bless your heart....I've been there. When I was first learning to knit, I searched on eBay every day for box lots of yarn that people were getting rid of. I was thrilled to get HUGE boxes of yarn for a great price. Even though some of the yarn was old, there were still some treasures hidden in the midst of it.

You can get yarn at thrift stores too, or Salvation Army or Goodwill. Believe me, I've gotten loads of yarn there! Now, I am finally able to buy a few new skeins every once in a while, so my stash is getting too big! Let me know if you want me to mail you a box of my skeins from my earlier days. I'll be glad to share some of my worsted weight stash!

For the first pattern, you can use any yarn. 2 strands of worsted or light worsted or DK yarn....whatever you want. The hat will just be thicker or thinner, that's all. I used Red Heart worsted weight for the grey hat. I made another hat later with Lion Brand Wool-Ease worsted weight, which was a softer yarn, and it was a little easier to knit with.

For the second pattern, I usually use Lion Brand Wool-Ease, but any worsted weight yarn will work. I like to have a few different colors of the same brand so I can make stripes. A wool blend yarn is better than 100% acrylic for making hats, since they get so much wear. Otherwise, they just wear away and get full of holes.

Good luck!

Jenelle
03-06-2006, 11:44 PM
I sent you a PM a little while ago. :thumbsup: Send any yarn you want(and like I said in the PM, I'll send you hand dyed 100% virgin wool in return)!!

Thanks for the tips. Right now I have a bulky yarn on there(it's the same size of yarn as if I were to used 2 strands), and it's knitting up nice(I have to make this hat bigger because of the size my dads head is). I'm going to knit him 3 hats. The one I am knitting now is dark navy blue, the other one will be bright orange(for when he's in the snow, or hunting), and lastly a brown hat with white stripes at the top. :)

Shandeh
03-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Oh, I can't wait to see the hats! :cheering:
I'm getting a box of yarn together for you now. Are there any specific colors you want?

Jenelle
03-07-2006, 03:02 PM
Nope not really. Anything will do :)

I'm not really picky with my yarn :rofling: