PDA

View Full Version : Lion Brand Homespun

Ruby
02-17-2006, 10:23 PM
I made a shawl for my friend using Lion Brand Homespun. It took three skeins and the places where I joined them are protruding from where they were woven into the shawl. I have used this yarn before but didn't have this problem. Any ideas on what to do? All I know at this point is that I'll never use Homespun again.

Jenelle
02-17-2006, 10:27 PM
You didn't knot the joins and then weave them in did you?

I never worked with homespun before, so I don't know what it is like. I did hear that it's one of the worst yarns to work with though :(

Ingrid
02-17-2006, 11:25 PM
I'm not sure how to fix it, but I admire your determination not to use Homeshun again. I can't stand it either. I wish someone would make a yarn that pretty that isn't so awful.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-18-2006, 01:13 AM
agreed. I hate homespun. One of my LYSs sells homespun mill ends REALLY cheap, and every time I go in there I'm, like, hypnotized b y the colors "oooooh they're soooo beauuuutifullllllll" and i have to say NO BAD HILDIE!! I have a ton of it i have to get rid of, but they are the prettiest colors :mad:

Ruby
02-18-2006, 01:39 AM
Well, I joined the skeins and wove the ends in after I knitted a few more rows. So now I have some little tails that are hanging out and are fraying. Any ideas on how to fix the problem? I'm glad I'm not alone in disliking the yarn. It's one of a couple of their yarns I plan on not using again.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-18-2006, 01:43 AM
yes we ignored your problem, sorry!!! :oops:

hmmmmmm. the only think I can think of is a dab of clear nail polish to stop the fray... but there has to be something else. Since it's acrylic,you MIGHT be able to burn the knots and melt the acrylic, but i'd be nervous about putting a flame near my knitting, no matter how much I hate the yarn.

ella
02-18-2006, 08:36 AM
OK, this breaks some rules but it worked for me when I was hypnotised into using Homespun for a baby blanket("Oh, but the color is so perfect!") I tacked loose ends down with sewing thread. That seemed to stay and was also fairly unbotrusive thanks to the fuzziness of the yarn. HTH!

HollyP
02-18-2006, 09:17 AM
OK, this breaks some rules but it worked for me when I was hypnotised into using Homespun for a baby blanket("Oh, but the color is so perfect!") I tacked loose ends down with sewing thread. That seemed to stay and was also fairly unbotrusive thanks to the fuzziness of the yarn. HTH!
I did the same thing on a baby blanket, it worked great. It is the only blankie my nephew will use without complaining "scwatchy"(Translation this blanket is really scratchy Mom. Can I get the one Auntie Holly knit for me?)

quirky
02-18-2006, 09:38 AM
I had posted earlier that I had used homespun alot. That's true enough.
But after my latest project I will never use it again!

I had just gotten 2/3 way through my sweater front and had to add a skein. Despite my careful attention to dye lot at least one of my skeins is darker than the rest. There is a distinct line at the join that custs across my breast!. Trying another skein was not an option as I could not find more in my area.

Oh yes - and the ends. Here I thought any trouble I had had with the ends was due to my own ineptness! I ended up knotting my ends.

Ruby
02-19-2006, 03:46 PM
I think I'll try sewing the ends in first. Thanks for the ideas!

aylaanne
02-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Wow. I'd been looking at using some homespun to make myself a [my first] sweater, but with all the reviews on here, I'll probably pass it up and use a different yarn.

cheesiesmom
02-19-2006, 04:48 PM
It's really a shame that Lion can't come up with an equally beautiful, soft yarn rather than Homespun. I too have been mesmerized by the colors and when I walk into Joann's or Michael's am immediately drawn to it. My daughter gave me 2 skeins of covered bridge red as part of my xmas gift and I ended up knitting myself a triangular shawl. It's a beast to knit with, too. Always ending up with extra fiber thread even tho' I'd swear I picked up the entire stitch. The join of the two skeins is poking out, but since it' just for around the house when I'm cold, no biggy.

AidanM
02-19-2006, 05:03 PM
I can't imagine knitting with the stuff. I've crocheted with it, though, and it works fine for that.

dustinac
02-19-2006, 07:42 PM
My mom crocheted me a pretty purple scarf out of it and had no trouble but then when she tried knitting with it she ended up with a mess and went back to crocheting it... I made a prayer shawl out of it but was using big needles and didn't have a problem and was like wonder why noone likes it :thinking: thennnnnnn I decided to make the half sweater out of what I had left over and used smaller needles and then was like ohhh now I see.. I ripped it out and told mom she could have it to crochet with it kept splitting on me such pretty colors... I hope the sewing the ends down worked!! :thumbsup:

Ruby
02-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Hey, it's working! Sewing in the ends seems to be the ticket. Now I'll have to wear it around a few days to make sure it's tight.

samm
02-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Boy am I glad I joined this group! I've been struggling with Homespun, just hating it, switching needles, and grinding my teeth and have decided to rip out the back that I finished and try a crochet pattern I found. The colours are soooo pretty, and the yarn is soooo awful. Glad to be not the only one. I was thinking it was just me! samm

2girlsmom
02-22-2006, 10:14 PM
It is so soft and beautiful but the only projects I can handle with success using Homespun are... a 4 1/2 hour crocheted afghan, and the 2 hour knitted scarf on the huge scarf needles. I've tried knitting DD a poncho, then tore it out and tried to crochet it and got annoyed, :( I'm sad that it's not working well for me.

kellyjo32
02-23-2006, 07:01 AM
This is all so funny to me...I've crocheted with Homespun before, it was actually the first major project I did. It was the Diagonal Crochet Afghan on the Lion Brand site, and I love that thing! So soft and beautiful, if you look, I did the recommended colors too, Gorgeous!!
But....then I started on the Hooded Sweater pattern on the LB site, and I didn't think I was disliking Homespun until I read this post!!! I wound up with the mysterious stitches and I feel like I'm always ripping my way through each row. But I love Homespun!!! It's weird. I want that finished product so much, so I guess I'll continue to suffer, but I will keep my eyes out for the ever elusive Homespun look-a-like, but doesn't act-a-like yarn!

jhelanee
02-23-2006, 02:49 PM
I'm strange: I like LB Homespun. But I definitely agree it has its limitations and aggrevations. I wouldn't use it for something fitted because of the major stretchiness of the finished fabric (especially on large needles), but I love the way it looks and feels in scarves, shawls and simple hats. I find that larger needles are a big plus (I do shawls on 13, scarves on 11 and hats on 8 - which is the smallest I would go). I also think that how you hold the yarn while knitting may be a big factor in how troublesome it is to knit with. I knit with the yarn in my right hand, but hold it loosely between my thumb and forefinger, not wrapped around my fingers. I think the yarn sliding through and around fingers is what (at least partially) causes the "bunching up" many people complain about with Homespun. Usually I don't have too big of a problem with this, but if I hold the yarn too firmly I do.

Ruby
02-24-2006, 07:24 PM
Do I have to reply to every new message to receive new ones, or can I simply read the latest post after clicking the e-mail message?

Ingrid
02-24-2006, 07:29 PM
You'll keep getting notifications unless you ask not to, usually. Occasionally people stop getting notifications for some reason. Under the post there's a line to 'stop watching this topic' or 'watch topic.'

knittingachiever
02-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Yet another moment on this great forum where I discover that other people are thinking the same thing I am! I :heart: you all! I tried again and again to do something worthwhile with Homespun (and I have buckets of it in the stash...) but always ended up frustrated and disappointed.

Sweet revenge though, in an unexpected form: while DH and I were away on our honeymoon, our cat got mad and peed all over the Homespun afghan I left on the couch. :cheering:

Ingrid
02-25-2006, 10:50 AM
:roflhard: Good little kitty!

kellyjo32
03-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Can you believe I join my second skein of Homespun and it's all screwed up. The little while thread that is wrapped around the yarn is broken in a few spots and the yarn is all fuzzed up. It's knitted about two rows with this new skein, and I've run into three spots where the little thread is broken. Very frustrating. I think it'll be okay, but it's quite annoying that they don't have some kind of quality control or something. :mad:

samm
03-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Yikes! I'm sorry to hear that. Nobody should have to put up with defects in the yarn. :mad: I hope you've past that part and have found the rest to be fine. Hugs in sympathy from samm

cheesiesmom
03-02-2006, 10:32 AM
Can you believe I join my second skein of Homespun and it's all screwed up. The little while thread that is wrapped around the yarn is broken in a few spots and the yarn is all fuzzed up. It's knitted about two rows with this new skein, and I've run into three spots where the little thread is broken. Very frustrating. I think it'll be okay, but it's quite annoying that they don't have some kind of quality control or something. Mad

I've always found that if you write a nice but firm letter of complaint outlining what your problem was that most companies will respond. Sometimes they wil correct the situation with coupons, freebies, etc., expecially if you tell then how much you use their product but may have to take a second look at purchasing from them again, blah, blah, blah. Couldn't hurt to try. Hopefully, you didn't lose too much yarn to make you short on your project.

Gladys in Icy Michigan (but I made it to work anyway!!)

Angelia
03-02-2006, 10:40 AM
I bought Homespun when I first started knitting--the lure of the lovely colors and the softness of the yarn got me. :shock: So I thought I'd knit a nifty throw. My plan did not work. The outside of the skeins looked NOTHING like the inside! I bought one b/c it was primarily browns and oranges with a bit of cream; the inside was just GREEN and cream! I took it all back and got a refund.

samm
03-02-2006, 12:41 PM
If I sent a polite letter outlining my disappointment with the homespun yarn, they'd likely just send me a dozen skeins of it! :lol: :lol: samm

Angelia
03-02-2006, 12:48 PM
:shock: NOOOOOOOOO!!

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

cheesiesmom
03-02-2006, 01:42 PM
If I sent a polite letter outlining my disappointment with the homespun yarn, they'd likely just send me a dozen skeins of it! Laughing Laughing samm

Then you could sell it on ebay! :D

kellyjo32
03-02-2006, 01:46 PM
You know what, maybe I'll do that. I had skipped about a yard of yarn because it was just full of fuzzy spots and broken threads, so maybe I'll take some pics to send them proof. I like the idea of selling it on ebay if they send me some!! :thumbsup:

samm
03-02-2006, 04:26 PM
And make money to buy............ ummmmmmmmmmm...... YARN!!!!! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: samm

countingsheep
03-02-2006, 04:45 PM
I used to love Homespun - really! Now... I have jumped right onto the "I Hate This #$%@" train. My main problem was a change in color half-way through a skein - it was a charcoal color that turned black right near the middle!

Anyway, I have a suggestion for a use for all that leftover Homespun: bulk it up with a strand of a complimentary color in another yarn but use something inexpensive! Knit a throw using double strands and you get the soft, fluffy Homespun but the help from the other yarn. I did this using "Caron Pounds of Love" (or something like that) with the Homespun. Anyway, it went very fast and looked great. I also blew through tons of leftovers - I made a striped throw. I did a basic k2,p3 pattern with k4 on both edges and 4 knit rows top and bottom. Seriously simple, very quick, looks impressive and machine washable! :happydance: I usually find a kid wrapped up in the thing watching TV or working on the computer. Heck, even the dog loves the thing!

Angela

samm
03-02-2006, 07:09 PM
I knit a throw/afghan years ago with my leftovers. I think I even had a pattern to follow. Loosely. It was the one that all four boys and assorted dogs could cuddle into all at once. It stretched as far as they needed! I knit on big old wooden needles that my grandfather made for grandma, with five or so strands of yarn at once. I think I did strips. Yeah. I did. When I changed colours, I left all the yarn ends hanging about eight inches, and when things were joined up the ends were knotted and trimmed to six inches and left there. It was actually a beautiful afghan. Good idea about using a plain yarn with the Homespun. Did it help it knit more smoothly? I do love the colours of it. I was disappointed that it has been so yucky to work with. Thanks for the idea! samm

Ingrid
03-02-2006, 07:25 PM
I got sucked into buying Homespun when I got back into knitting. My daughter loves it, so she got a big bag of it for Christmas! ;) She knew I was 'de-stashing' it, so I didn't feel too guilty. I discovered my dislike for it when I was making a sweater for her. I just couldn't finish it.

countingsheep
03-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Samm wrote: Did it help it knit more smoothly? I do love the colours of it. I was disappointed that it has been so yucky to work with. Thanks for the idea! samm

Yes! It helped tremendously! It was a lot easier to work with and the extra strand seemed to give it a better feel as I knit. And seriously, go with something fairly thin and cheep! :oops: I used, I think, size 15 cable needles for the two yarns and it went quickly. Plus, I got over the guilt of seeing all that yarn sitting there and dreading working with it! :happydance:

Good luck, Ang

samm
03-03-2006, 04:07 PM
I also have an unfinished sweater from Homespun, Ingrid. I'll be frogging the back that I knitted to use in something else. I couldn't make myself work on it any more. And yet the colour is soooo beautiful and it is a yarn that I don't believe would itch!
Ang, thanks for the tip. I have lots of worsted yarn around and I think I will use up the Homespun with it.
samm

Cristy
03-03-2006, 04:18 PM
I think I'll try the cheap strand w/ Homespun...I have some in my stash and I hate it too...I've figured out that it's a pretty good yarn for crocheting...several of the crocheters in my SNB use it a lot but everyone I know that knits (for the most part) HATES it.

samm
03-04-2006, 05:52 PM
I did find a pattern to crochet a jacket with the stuff. I'm considering that, too. But then, folks here were writing of the difficulty of weaving in ends.... Arghhh. Maybe I should send it back to the company! :XX: samm who is determined to finish grandson Will's size ten sweater by next weekend. :XX: :XX: :XX:

kellyjo32
03-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Well, they have a sample of their yarn and a polite, yet disappointed letter in the mail. This is the second time I've used the yarn, and the second time I've had a problem, and I made it clear that I love the colors and the feel, but can't stand the problems I've had with it. I didn't blatantly ask for more yarn, but I did include my address!! Hopefully I'll get some, or another kind, or even a gift certificate. I'll let you guys know if I hear anything!

kellyjo32
05-06-2006, 07:25 AM
Well, they have a sample of their yarn and a polite, yet disappointed letter in the mail. This is the second time I've used the yarn, and the second time I've had a problem, and I made it clear that I love the colors and the feel, but can't stand the problems I've had with it. I didn't blatantly ask for more yarn, but I did include my address!! Hopefully I'll get some, or another kind, or even a gift certificate. I'll let you guys know if I hear anything!

It worked!!! :thumbsup: :cheering: I got an email on Thursday, they sent me 4 skeins of Homespun!! It arrived yesterday, but I'm out of town, so I haven't seen it yet. I think it's great that they do that though because I was very disappointed with them. It's not that I like Homespun any better now, but I do like the fact that Lion Brand makes things right at least! The color according to the email is Baroque, no clue what I'll end up doing with it though, but at least I got it!! :happydance:

Angelia
05-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Wow, good for you! And how refreshing to know that they care!