PDA

View Full Version : Is your knitting perfect?

Amber
02-18-2006, 04:56 PM
I hope this doesn't sound like a really stupid question, but I'm serious. I've only been knitting for about 6 months now, but compared to what I see people post on here, the stuff I've made looks, well...sad. I haven't really seen many hand knit items up close, other than my own, of course, but I'm just wondering what other people's stuff looks like. Would anyone be able to tell it's handmade?

I guess I'd like to know what level of “perfection” I should be shooting for. Not that I expect my stuff to be perfect, but I am trying to improve and I just don't have any sense of what things “should” look like. I know it's silly to compare my hand knits to store-bought items, so what do really good hand knit items look like?

Teiris
02-18-2006, 04:58 PM
I'd also like to know...

I get so frustrated, I've never finished anything. I've frogged everything I've started. I'm feeling really discouraged. :/

Jan in CA
02-18-2006, 05:04 PM
Umm...no. My knitting is far from perfect! I don't think anyone has perfect knitting, but those who have knit a long time have an edge. The more you practice the more even your tension.

If you are making mistakes a lot it helps to have a lifeline which is an embroidery thread or something that you put through a row which has no mistakes. As you work you move it up. If you make a mistake you can't fix or live with you can frog to the lifeline and start from there. It's saved my butt a bunch of times!

Jenelle
02-18-2006, 05:13 PM
My knitting is far from perfect too :shock:

But hey, its a hobby that's good to know, eh? ;)

Lana
02-18-2006, 05:37 PM
I've been knitting more than 40 years now. I think somewhere between when I started and now, I did a better job.

I have never compared any handknit to a machine knit. We're not machines.

I think I frog or tink everything I make now. I know I have to pay a lot more attention to what I'm doing when I'm doing pattered stitches.

You can look forward to getting better over the years. Be patient with yourself and enjoy the process. :thumbsup:

Julie
02-18-2006, 06:10 PM
Teiris, a little word of advice: stop ripping everything out! I tell that to new knitters all the time. Just keep going forward, knowing that your first few projects are going to look wonky. It's a fact of life...but you will be finishing things, have something to show for all of your work, and you will gradually learn how to fix tour mistakes and you'll become more consistent. You can do it! :thumbsup:

Ingrid
02-18-2006, 06:59 PM
The more you knit, the more even your tension. Don't go for any kind of perfection, just knit. You automatically get better.

I'd say my stitches are even and I can follow just about any pattern, but perfect? Never.

As Lana said, we're talking hand knits here. My sweaters from Land's End are more even than my knitting, but then again, if I wanted another Land's End sweater, I'd buy one--probably for less money than I can knit one, too! ;)

The more you knit, the better you get; the better you get, the more you know how to hide/correct mistakes, because there always are some.

Angelia
02-18-2006, 08:13 PM
Egad, perfect? I don't even go into a project hoping for that; I just hope that I don't have a lot of mistakes, and that's good enough for me. I now scoff at the perfection of my Land's End and LL Bean sweaters! :rofling:

And chances are, most mistakes only YOU can see because you know what was supposed to happen.

feministmama
02-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Perfect? What's that? :??

tab
02-18-2006, 09:05 PM
I have to answer this with a resounding HECK NO! My tension is usually pretty good, and I can generally catch big mistakes and tink to fix them, but my knitting is definitely not perfect. I'm only human.

Amber
02-18-2006, 09:10 PM
LOL, okay, I guess "perfect" was kind of a strong word. But seriously, when I look at people's FOs on here, I think they look pretty close. ;)

It's good to know my tension will get more even with practice. Right now, it's pretty variable. :frog:

Jan in CA
02-18-2006, 11:34 PM
LOL, okay, I guess "perfect" was kind of a strong word. But seriously, when I look at people's FOs on here, I think they look pretty close. ;)

Well of course we turn the booboos AWAY from the camera you know.. :roflhard: :roflhard:

ScandaKnitvian
02-18-2006, 11:35 PM
I've been knitting for only about eight months, so I'm FAR from perfect. However, I can see the progress I've made since I started! Keep going and you'll get better, faster, more even.

I think part of the reason people's FO photos on this site look "perfect" is that they are just photos...you can't see all the detail you would if you held the item in your hands and examined it carefully. Your hand knitting would look better in a photo, too, or from across the room.

Hang in there, and happy knitting!

Patty

Ingrid
02-18-2006, 11:37 PM
Most of my finished projects look much better in the photos, usually, if that's any comfort. ;)

Jenelle
02-18-2006, 11:53 PM
Perfect? What's that? :??

I think that is a true statement...

"Perfect" should exist. Everything has it's flaws.

kitkat
02-19-2006, 09:38 AM
I consider a FO that doesnt have major flaws or holes to be perfect :cheering:

I finished a pair of socks - (will do photos later) and there are some flaws, yes, but darn it, they ARE perfect!

And my hairball kitty purse - (will photo that too) - I get compliemnts on it all the time - its way different - and oh yes flaws in there too!

Don't be so hard on yourself!

knittingachiever
02-19-2006, 10:10 AM
It's all already been said, but I second that emotion! ;) Handknits never look like machine-knits from the mall, and thank god for that! I think one of the best things about being a more experienced knitter is that I've learned what I can and can't expect from myself.

countingsheep
02-19-2006, 10:19 AM
:happydance: Yeah! What they said!

Plus... please stop frogging everything that you make! One day you will be teaching a daughter, neice or grandchild how to knit and they will get frustrated. You can then pull out that scarf that looks nothing like a scarf and comfort them with the fact that everyone starts out making mistakes! I know this because I have done this with my own daughter and one neice already and I've only been knitting for a handful of years. Now I look back at that wonky scarf and smile when I see all of those little "oops" places - I can also figure out how they happened. It was a huge comfort to my daughter to realize that I didn't start out knitting "perfect"! You will be so glad to have kept some of that early work - I promise!

Good luck, Angela

horve1
02-19-2006, 11:06 AM
One more vote for appreciating imperfections! I feel like I do pretty well, and I'm mid-range in experience (I think, from reading this forum) - and I have yet to make anything "perfect". However, I have made a lot of things that have made me and the recipient PERFECTLY HAPPY!!!

Amber
02-19-2006, 11:13 AM
Most of my finished projects look much better in the photos, usually, if that's any comfort. ;)

:roflhard: I find that very hard to believe, Ingrid. Your work is AMAZING and I can't imagine the photos even do it justice. But, thanks for trying to make me feel better! ;)

It does make me deel better to hear that other people's knitting isn't always perfect -- or I guess a better word would be "flawless." I think I've just been feeling a little down about my knitting lately b/c I've been trying to knit sweaters and I keep making mistakes -- big ones. It's frustrating to spend so much time on something and not have it work out. But, I'm stubborn (and, I really :heart: knitting), so I won't give up. I guess I just need to keep everything in perspective and view each mistake as a learning experience.

Dang it though, I want to knit a sweater that doesn't suck!!!

Pixywhispers
02-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Amber I totally understand. Lets not talk about the lace bonnet I've been attempting.

It's funny cause my pics of my perfect seam on my mittens shows the seam although in person its hard to see. Pictures are so decieving.

I've thought it would be fun to take pictures of our mistakes and share them. One of those permanent threads. So when we are feeling like a failure we can go look and see that "Oh, this is just part of the life of the knitter."

Yvonne
02-19-2006, 12:24 PM
Ditto what everybody else said. The more you practice, the better you'll get. The point is to enjoy yourself.
I think that besides knitting tension, the most important other thing for a good final finished handknit item is finishing techniques, whether seaming or weaving in ends. If you get good at just those three things, you've got it made and will be very happy with the items you knit.
And just for the record, NO. Not perfect, not even after 35 years of knitting. :D

KristiMetz
02-19-2006, 12:41 PM
I'm a new knitter and I have gotten disheartened a few times with knitting because it doesn't look like I want it to.

Something that has made a difference for me is choosing projects that are appropriate to my skill level.

I see a lot of posts from new knitters all of the time that are doing a really complicated project and they make it look so easy! Which is great for them. But it doesn't come so easily to me. So, instead of doing a complicated lace shawl for my mom for her birthday, I'm doing a simple washcloth and hand towel. :D

bjc1050
02-19-2006, 02:27 PM
I agree with Ingrid that photos of my projects look better than...

Fortunately, my most recent projects have been dog sweaters. Funny, the 1st one which I posted photos of turned out better than the 2nd and 3rd...kept having to rip back and redo and STILL had mistakes. However, they still look pretty good and fit my dogs and they are willing to wear them, :lol:

dustinac
02-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Mine knitting is not perfect LOL far from it.. in the beginnin I would just rip it out and start over.. Brendajos finally told me to stop and knit a scarf or something.. so I made a baby afghan and it had holes in it but my dh made me keep them in there.. afterwards I made flowers and butterflies to cover them up lol.. I always see my mistakes but usually others do not unless they knit.. I just try to remeber only God is perfect so I will have mistakes in my knitting... I even tell dh to make myself better I put that mistake in there to show that only God is perfect :rofling: Keep it up and agree stop taking it out that was the best advice I got or I'd prolly still be frogging...

HeatherFeather
02-19-2006, 08:20 PM
he more you knit, the better you get; the better you get, the more you know how to hide/correct mistakes, because there always are some.

any body else have the bean poem going through your head?????

Angelia
02-19-2006, 08:28 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

quirky
02-20-2006, 02:05 AM
I totally agree with everyone here.

But I want to encourage you, in my own words, to stick it out.
You might have read on other posts how it took me 20 years to learn to knit. I kid you not! 20 years of persuing knitting. I dont mean it took me 20 years to "get good" or become an expert. I mean 20 years of trying over and over again to get my hands to actually create just one row of real stitching.

In hindsight its really easy for me now to see that half the battle was a bit of perfectionsim. Never feeling like my attempts were "good enough".
The other half the battle was due to a left hand that kept wanting to take over :)
At some point though I realized that the whole point of knitting was to just enjoy the process. Thats why I wanted to knit in the first place!

Right now I am knitting my first sweater. I have frogged that poor puppy until it has "croaked". lol
But I realized that if I never finish it - because I want it to be so "perfect" I will probably never really get on with learning. And I will have spent my time hating knitting. Not loving it.
Its a rut I dont want to be stuck in.
So I will finish my sweater and move on - and Ill wear my first sweater around the house and in the garden and I will be really proud that I actually knit a sweater!! Yay!!

knitncook
02-20-2006, 12:02 PM

Well of course we turn the booboos AWAY from the camera you know.. :roflhard: :roflhard:

Yep, the photoside is much better. My stuff would look perfect if I could play with photoshop more, too! :-)

knittingdoula
02-21-2006, 08:16 AM
I have to admit, I like a "perfect" product from myself. So I demand a lot. Sometimes it even works!

Look, the fact is that some knitters pick it up very quickly and have the manual dexterity to do complex projects and even stitches. For most, it is a combination of talent, time and perseverance. Some people are naturally talented, and others ..... :rollseyes:

Perhaps it would be good for you to track down a more senior knitter who can sit with you and help you analyze where you're going wrong. Making the same mistake over and over again would simply infuriate me, and I appreciate a critique of my work in order to learn new tricks and improve. I taught a girl in my community how to knit, and it took quite a few times of really WATCHING her fingers move to figure out where she could improve.

Mentoring isn't just for kids .... and we all learn in different ways. Yours may be visual. Good luck! And keep at it, because ultimately, it's about the joy of knitting ....

Alison

Celine
02-21-2006, 08:26 AM
I've been seriously knitting now for the past six months. I have to say its getting better as I go along. Right now I'm into knitting Toe Up socks and on my 5th pair. They are not perfect but really come out well!!

When I knit if I do notice a BIG mistake to me then I do rip it out and pick up from that point and continue. :XX: :XX: I've done this about three times on a cable scarf I recently finished. It was worth it to me to rip it out because now it looks...almost perfect!! ;)

Just don't be too hard on yourself!!

PurlyGyrl
02-22-2006, 12:14 PM
:roflhard: Sorry, :roflhard: perfect knitting just makes me laugh :roflhard: Me, perfect :roflhard: . Nope, not perfect--sometimes my knitting doesn't even LOOK like knitting :shock:

Angelia
02-22-2006, 08:17 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

BinkyKat
02-22-2006, 11:34 PM
I finally thought of an answer that fit me... and I hope it hasn't been used yet... I'm too impatient to read all the pages of this thread first...

When my my knitting becomes perfect...that's when I will become bored. So, I hope I am never perfect... I want to be good, yet appear perfect.

Amen :thumbsup:

nurseratchit
02-23-2006, 06:21 AM
I am very proud of my first imperfect scarf from a "how-to-knit" kit. At first I was pointing out all the mistakes to everyone but then realized they didn't notice them until I pointed them out! It is at least 10 stitches wider on the finished end than the beginning end but I don't notice it either when it's wrapped snuggly around my neck. We are our own worst critics. Don't give up! Who knows, one of those mistakes may spur a burst of creativity! :thumbsup:

Angelia
02-23-2006, 08:24 AM
Whenever she feels the curse of perfectionism hit her, one of my knitting friends at work uses a piece of advice from her grandmother: Nobody can see it if you're on a trotting horse! :rofling: :rofling:

As has been noted earlier, we're harder on ourselves than we should be. Think of the kind words each of us offers to others on their work; why can't we be that kind and forgiving to ourselves? It's madness!

Amber
02-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Well, I have to say that I am feeling so, so much better about this. Last night I finished my first sweater that I would call a "success." It is far, far from perfect, but I'm gonna wear it with pride!!

:happydance: :balloons: :happydance:

HeatherFeather
02-23-2006, 11:09 PM
I was at the doc on Monday, and a man in the waiting room was mezmerized by my needles....he said his g'ma used to knit, and he always enjoyed watching her. He asked if I could tell machine knitting vs. hand knitting...I said...yeah, machine knitting is PERFECT....I then went on to say, that I hope like you guys said, that mine isn't ever perfect, because then I'll be done learning!!!

RosesArePurple
02-24-2006, 01:03 AM
Amber,

I just posted my first attempt at stockinette stitch in the Whatcha Knitting forum. It's called First Washcloth.

I don't know if I'll get better myself, but I thought you might like to see some other sad attempts at knitting.

punkhippiemom
02-24-2006, 01:12 AM
... Don't give up! Who knows, one of those mistakes may spur a burst of creativity! :thumbsup:
OK, first of all, :heart: your name!!! :roflhard: :roflhard:
Second, I agree completely!! I have been knitting for over a year now, and only just realized I was twisting my stitches :doh: but every time I make a mistake, I smile, finish it anyway, and put it in my 'whoops' bag. 'Whoops'es remind me of neat ideas that I had that I didn't know how (at the time) to implement properly, or to always check my gauge, :wall: and generally of how much I've improved over the last year.... and I've started keeping a knitting journal too, for the same reasons.
I have to say, if you're just learning, make stuff for kids. They love getting gifts, they appreciate the time put in and are so proud (no matter how ugly it may be!!!) that they have something that Mommy/auntie/granny made JUST FOR THEM that it's totally gratifying. :cheering: Plus, they out grow things quickly, so you won't have to look at it for too long!!! :thumbsup:

Doublereeder2
02-24-2006, 02:19 AM
Nothing is perfect - perfection is just an illusion. And, there are no knitting police - if there were, I would have quite the rap sheet!

I have been wearing my first pair of knit socks all winter - complete with holes and, yes, well one is larger than the other. No-one notices those things. They just say did you knit those :shock: ? Cool!

nurseratchit
02-24-2006, 04:13 AM
OK, first of all, :heart: your name!!! :roflhard: :roflhard:[quote]

Thanks---I've been admiring yours as well! LOVE the goat! :D

Angelia
02-25-2006, 09:51 AM
My mother has the worst bedside manner of anyone I know; she used to get so impatient when my brother, dad, or I would get sick. Dad still calls her Nurse Ratchet :)

punkhippiemom
02-25-2006, 01:20 PM
:lol:
I think it's actualled a Mohawked sheep ;) - I :heart: him too - - I switched my av for a while, but it just wasn't the same w/o Knorman...

knittingachiever
02-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Knorman! That's awesome! I just knew he had to have a comical name. Knorman rules.

Angelia
02-25-2006, 04:41 PM
Why is it Knorman?

punkhippiemom
02-25-2006, 09:58 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
Knorman is actually the first child of Ingrid and Hank of Karaoke ...here's (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3111&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=knorman&start=1110&sid=159ef1b154aa544fec2cca98651254a6) the whole sordid story... ;)

Ingrid
02-25-2006, 10:34 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
Knorman is actually the first child of Ingrid and Hank of Karaoke ...here's (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3111&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=knorman&start=1110&sid=159ef1b154aa544fec2cca98651254a6) the whole sordid story... ;)

:roflhard: :roflhard: My past comes back to haunt me!!

Angelia
02-25-2006, 11:41 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

OMG, I remember reading all of that now!!

And Ingrid, your blog has grown quite considerably since mid-November! 100 pages!! :shock: