PDA

View Full Version : Small, seemingly useless balls of yarn

NakedPancakes
02-18-2006, 09:06 PM
I have alot of different small balls of yarn. Different colours, brands, textures, ect. I'm not sure what I can do with them but I really dont want to just trash them or anything...

Any Ideas?

P.S. I'm new...and I'd just thought I'd say Hi. I'm Savannah.

Jenelle
02-18-2006, 09:11 PM
Hi Savannah!! :waving: Welcome to the forum!

As for all of your little balls of yarn, is there enough to knit a 4x4 square? Maybe you could turn it into a blanket and then add onto it every time you have a little bit of yarn left.

gardenmommy
02-18-2006, 09:17 PM
http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/default.asp?CAT_ID=18

This might give you some ideas.

NakedPancakes
02-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Jenelle- That's a really awesome idea. I like it but. the yarn I have left over, some of its like. the fuzzy type and others. not.

Hopefully you know what I'm talking about with the yarn...

Gardenmommy- Thanks. It gave me some ideas...

Still open for suggestions!

Jenelle
02-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Jenelle- That's a really awesome idea. I like it but. the yarn I have left over, some of its like. the fuzzy type and others. not.

Ohhh.. Hm, maybe... Well, what are your current knitting projects? The furry yarn you might be able to crochet or emborder the outside of a hat or gloves.

What types of fibers do you have?

Julie
02-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Come on over to the knitalong forum! We're doing a KAL for babies who were born too soon (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9430)...it takes very little yarn to make wee tiny hats and blankets and things :D

NakedPancakes
02-18-2006, 09:48 PM
Jenelle- Uhmm. Right now I'm working on a pillow, a pair of socks, a few cell phone cases, hair scrunchies, and a scarf.
It would be a lot faster for me to finish them if I weren't working on so many things at a time.

My mom IS making me a hat and a purse. I don't really see any of my yarn matching the colours she's using. They'd clash too much.

Julie- Thanks. A few of my mom's friends are having babies soon. I'll take a look at it.

margie
02-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Julie, you beat me to it!! The KAL is a great use for those little bits of yarn. I had some beautiful alpaca/merino left over from mittens- it was too nice to get rid of, but not enough to really use for anything. I made a hat for the compassionate knitalong- we're talking about hats to fit a teeny head the size of a plum- blankets that are only 10-12 inches square.............the amount of yarn is so small, but the impact that it will have on someone else is so big............

Ingrid
02-18-2006, 10:23 PM
This gave me a great idea. I get yarn from the Yarn of the Month club--enough for a swatch. I should pull out the washable ones and make teeny hats from those as well.

Jan in CA
02-18-2006, 11:37 PM
Check out this book..they may have it at the library, too.

Oddball Knitting (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140005351X/sr=8-1/qid=1140320172/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-3934834-7341502?%5Fencoding=UTF8)

Jenelle
02-18-2006, 11:39 PM
Ah! An idea!!

If you have enough odd ball yarn, make a pair of socks!!

They may look rediculous, but hey, no one needs to know ;) :rofling:

NakedPancakes
02-19-2006, 01:36 PM
^^ Thanks <3

ecb
02-20-2006, 09:00 PM
but I have NOidea where it was right now

put smaller balls in a basket in your living/sitting/visiting room with a coujple extra psirs of needles, start a few rows of 48 stitches
and let visitors have SOMETHING to knit while they visit and you do not have to feel bad when you pull out YOUR knitting during the visit

I am SHAMELESS, can you tell?

ecb

quirky
02-20-2006, 09:10 PM
and let visitors have SOMETHING to knit while they visit and you do not have to feel bad when you pull out YOUR knitting during the visit :lol:

Ya! Good suggestion!!

How about a wonky scarf? Knit a few rows in one yarn, switch needles and yarns for another few. How about rolling some of that yarn onto bobbins and knitting a couple of vertical stripes that help tie the other colors together? Use every stitch you know. Make up some new ones!

ecb
02-20-2006, 10:37 PM
:D
Each person does their own thing
with which ever yearn they like best
some can do fancy cabels
some can do Stockinette
some can do Mistaken Ribbing
you end up with a Neat Scarf, that never ends, it just goes on and on (My Friends)

:D LOL :lol: