PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a simple sock pattern?

Tammy6071
02-20-2006, 01:06 AM
Just wondering if anyone has a simple sock pattern that would be easy enough for someone using circulars for the first time. Ive done a lot of scarves and some simple stitches, but Im really wanting to try circular needles, everyone says they are the best! Im a little anxious about using them, but with a simple sock pattern maybe it wouldn't be so intimidating.

Mer
02-20-2006, 12:19 PM
Silver has a great sock tutorial here: http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Beginning.htm

mrselder
02-21-2006, 12:32 PM
I definitely agree that Silver's sock tutorial is awesome. It was the first sock pattern I ever used. At first, I really thought that I wanted to use 2 circs instead of DPNs but some other knitters told me they think it can actually be more difficult than the DPNs.

So, I bought wooden DPNs (which I highly recommend) and tried it. Knitting on DPNs are realy not that scary. If you have knit on a circ before you should have no problem.

Whatever method you choose socks are so fun!

Tammy6071
02-21-2006, 11:37 PM
Thanks so much for your advice! I decided to try the DPN. Ive started the sock tutorial, its frustrating but Im starting to get it, although I have not moved past the cuff yet!! I guess its just a matter of diving into it and keep at it till you finally get it!! I think once I do get it, everyone I know will be getting socks.

gardenmommy
02-21-2006, 11:55 PM
The North Country Cotton baby sock is a great way to learn sock basics too! There are helpful videos for each step, especially the heel flap and turning the gusset.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/free_patterns/sock-pattern.php

Plus they go quickly compared to an adult sized sock, I used Bernat CottonTots which is a worsted weight cotton.

mrselder
02-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Tammy, If you ahve any questions about the tutorial please PM me. I would love to help you!

Tammy6071
02-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Thanks everyone for all the great advice and patterns. Im on my way to making my first sock, and I know I'll be back on soon to ask you all for help and advice!!

Carol_OH
03-06-2006, 06:24 PM
I made my first pair of socks this weekend, using Dawn Brocco's pattern, but am going to try my hand at some self-striping yarn using Silver's tutorial! Thanks Silver!!!

Tammy6071
03-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Congratulations!!! Did you use circular needles or DPNs?? I have to give you a lot of credit, I got frustrated and had to put them away for a while. I was using DPNs, but thinking about trying to make socks on circulars.

Carol_OH
03-07-2006, 02:56 PM
Thanks Tammy! I did them on DPNs. I kinda like dpns, though (and I used metal ones too - keeps me on my toes, I tell ya!) :lol:

samm
03-09-2006, 11:46 AM
I taught myself how to use the two circulars, but went back to my dpns. If you can get some wooden ones, or bamboo, they'd be great to learn on, as the yarn doesn't take off on you! It isn't a difficult process once you learn to give the first stitch on the needle a little tug as you begin the second stitch. There are patterns for tube socks that are kinda fun but turn out a little bunchy at the front of the ankle when done. No thinking doing these, just getting used to the needles. There's a pattern in my book, Hip Knits, which is a Better Homes and Gardens book, and I have printed one from Frugal Knitting Haus Frau's site. Hope you enjoy learning how to use the dpns. It gets easier, and automatic if you stick to it!!! samm

Tammy6071
03-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the encouragement! Ive come to the conclusion that my whole problem has been my needles. Ive been trying to learn on the metal ones, and of course, the yarn slides right off. Its been so frustrating. So, Im going out to get myself some wooden DPNs, and give it another try!