PDA

View Full Version : Stash pictures?

knittingdoula
02-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Hi - I searched the threads, but couldn't find anything, though I'm baffled, because I know we all love pics of our yarn.

Anyone want to post pictures of their yarn stashes just for fun? Or was this recently done?

Alison

Ingrid
02-20-2006, 02:37 PM
I always like doing this. It gives people something to show their dh when they're accused of having too much. This doesn't include three other bins and another big laundry bag. Oh, and two other pop up hampers that I've filled. :oops: I'm obsessed. ;)

gardenmommy
02-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Oh I was just thinking about doing this....although I'll have to wait until DH leaves, he will think I am totally INSANE for photographing YARN, especially yarn that isn't doing anything at the moment, i.e. not a work in progress.

Actually it was part of plan to go through my stash and create some plans for some of this stuff...to make room for new of course!

ecuzzacrea
02-20-2006, 03:25 PM
holy smokes Ingrid! that is BEAUTIFUL!! :inlove:

my stash is weak!

i have a question - do you just buy yarn that you like and then find a project for it??? just curious.

Jenelle
02-20-2006, 03:28 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow ingrid... WOW :shock: :shock:

Ingrid
02-20-2006, 03:28 PM
I do both. The biggest thing I have to refrain from doing is buying just a few balls of something because I love it. I don't need that many scarves. :rollseyes: But what I end up doing instead is always buying enough for a sweater in the largest size possible, just in case. It certainly adds up!

aylaanne
02-20-2006, 03:39 PM
As a beginning knitter and a broke college student, I do not yet have a "stash". However, Ingrid is an inspiration, and I may have to go out and blow some cash on some yarn for a sweater I might want to make someday. :lol:

Ingrid
02-20-2006, 03:45 PM
I don't know if I'm setting a good example or a bad example. :rofling:

aylaanne
02-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Well, I think you're setting a wonderful example, but my future husband might disagree with me a little....:lol:

Jenelle
02-20-2006, 04:04 PM
I don't know if I'm setting a good example or a bad example. :rofling:

Good example for the knitter,
Bad example for the husband/wife who has to deal with the yarn obsession.

:rofling:

ecuzzacrea
02-20-2006, 04:05 PM
:thinking: hmmm...

i could learn a lot from you!!!

:roflhard:

I do both. The biggest thing I have to refrain from doing is buying just a few balls of something because I love it. I don't need that many scarves. :rollseyes: But what I end up doing instead is always buying enough for a sweater in the largest size possible, just in case. It certainly adds up!

Cristy
02-20-2006, 04:15 PM
okay...I had my camera in hand...took a picture of my yarn (I thought it'd be funny b/c it's boxed up to be moved tomorrow and it takes up all of the largest box we have!!! It's a t-shirt box (hubby is a screenprinter by day) where dh ordered 300 shirts!!!)...unfortuantely, my camera cable is packed and I can't find it...:(

I'll have to post it later!

Lana
02-20-2006, 04:18 PM
TWO! TWO!!
TOO HOBBIES IN ONE!!!
Knitting AND collecting fine yarns. :eyebrow:

aylaanne
02-20-2006, 04:46 PM
TWO! TWO!!
TOO HOBBIES IN ONE!!!
Knitting AND collecting fine yarns. :eyebrow:

Oooh, I like that. :D

tab
02-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Aha!
Here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2629) is the thread this reminded me of. Buried, of course.
Maybe someday I'll organize my stash and take pictures. Until then, it remains unphotographed in my two dresser drawers, two standing drawer units and two shelves of my closet.

blueeyes28
02-20-2006, 05:13 PM
I need more yarn!!! :shock: :shock:

TamaraKnits
02-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Eep. I have way too much yarn. It satisfies so much of my compulsive hoarding tendencies but I am limiting myself to one closet:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1296/1247/1600/DSCN4464.jpg

Since I took that picture I took over the top shelf of the closet (not pictured here and shifted around some stuff so I could store my knitting books.

There are more random pictures at my blog:

http://blogtamarablog.blogspot.com/

I would post pictures here but then I would have to resize them...

Jenelle
02-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Wow Tamara! :shock: :shock: :shock:

kellyjo32
02-20-2006, 05:38 PM
I just showed DH Tamara's pics on her blog...his reply "we're not competing with them!"
Hehe!! I'm waiting for the tax return to start stocking up for my stash!!
:cheering: :thumbsup:

Andrea
02-20-2006, 06:16 PM
This is my "craft closet"...unfortunately one shelf has stamping/scrapbook stuff, which I'm looking to get rid of so I can fit more yarn!! I also keep my WIP in the family room easily accessable at all times. It looks so sloppy in pictures, but when I look at it normally, it looks all nice and neat... :??

Jenelle
02-20-2006, 06:22 PM
:shock: :shock:

All of you are making me jelous!!! :rofling:

Ingrid
02-20-2006, 06:37 PM
Boy! I would love to have a closet like that all for myself! :inlove:

Andrea
02-20-2006, 06:45 PM
I claimed that as we walked through our house the first time!! It's in "my library" (or "our loft" as my DH calls it :rollseyes: )

Pixywhispers
02-20-2006, 09:02 PM
A fellow knitting girlfriend came to help me clean out our school/craft room (homeschool) and by the time she left she renamed the room "The Yarn Shop."

One of the baskets has my favorites in it. Just in case we have to evacuate. The antique cabinet has a lot of books in the bottom and a lot more yarn then is shown.

carollovesyarn
02-20-2006, 10:19 PM
some of my stash from recent purchases

Ingrid
02-20-2006, 10:21 PM
Oh my goodness!! Call 911!! I'm having palpitations! That yarn is gorgeous! :inlove: :inlove:

Indygirl
02-20-2006, 10:30 PM
I need more yarn!!! :shock: :shock:

Don't we all :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

koolbreeze
02-20-2006, 10:48 PM
my little dinky stash isn't even worth showing!!! Party at Ingrids!!!!

gardenmommy
02-20-2006, 11:03 PM
Wow Carol, beautiful stuff!

Can I have the one book, middle left, with the tan cabled hoodie, when you're done with it? ;)

Julie
02-20-2006, 11:18 PM
It's in "my library" (or "our loft" as my DH calls it :rollseyes: )

Is that where the Christmas tree is?? :rofling:

:inlove: the closet.....

carollovesyarn
02-20-2006, 11:46 PM
Wow Carol, beautiful stuff!

Can I have the one book, middle left, with the tan cabled hoodie, when you're done with it? ;)
ok - I put your name on a sticky on the inside. :thumbsup: I have to do some serious eval of my book stash. I mostly just got these because she had them marked at $2 each. :shock:

Andrea
02-20-2006, 11:48 PM
It's in "my library" (or "our loft" as my DH calls it :rollseyes: )

Is that where the Christmas tree is?? :rofling:

:inlove: the closet.....

:oops: yes...still there!!

TheLuckyOne
02-21-2006, 12:06 AM
Wow! I've never heard of Noro Gemstones. It is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! You aren't interested in selling any of it, are you?

carollovesyarn
02-21-2006, 02:43 AM
Wow! I've never heard of Noro Gemstones. It is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! You aren't interested in selling any of it, are you?Heh. I never thought I'd find any! I first saw it (in a different colorway) in the Stitch 'n Bitch book. There's more out there I'm sure...somewhere. I already made one smallish purse for Grandma with the black yarn on the bottom, Noro on top, and need to make one for Mom. I'm not sure if I'll use it all up.

KellyK
02-21-2006, 08:56 AM
Well, I think you're setting a wonderful example, but my future husband might disagree with me a little....:lol:

Better to get him trained BEFORE the wedding, if at ALL possible! ;)

Below is a pic of my diminishing stash, plus my knitting bag is FULL of Lamb's Pride for this tote that Ive been improvising

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/knitting_tote.jpg

TheLuckyOne
02-21-2006, 08:59 AM
carollovesyarn, I'd love to see your FO with the Noro Gemstones. I bet it sure looks terrific.

I did some searches last night and it appears this stuff is quite elusive. If you'd ever like to sell (just one skein even!), please PM me. You can name your price. :D

Mer
02-21-2006, 11:26 AM
We're in the process of moving, but once I get unpacked I'll have to take a pic. I thought I could fit all the yarn in one or two boxes to move. Um, no. I have more than I thought! :rollseyes:

Jenelle
02-21-2006, 01:10 PM
KellyK what is that cute blue yarn that you have(the one on the left side)??

It looks like some kind of Bernat yarn that's soft :inlove:

KellyK
02-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Yup...that's the Bernat Denimstyle that I got for DHs sweater. Good eye!

Maybe we should play "Name That Stash"!! :lol:

Lana
02-21-2006, 01:21 PM
My stash is stashed everywhere.
Way back in his closet in see through zipped blanket bags, in my closet in plastic tubs, crammed into corners (and on the floor) in the "spare" room.

I shutter to think what the pile would look like if it was all in one place.
So I' not gonna do that. :help:

feministmama
02-21-2006, 01:31 PM
So the next time my 10 year give me any stuff about how much yarn I have I'm gonna show him this thread :rofling: Yes my son actually razzes me about my yarn :rollseyes:

CateKnits
02-21-2006, 01:35 PM
The long plastic box is mostly "stash" that doesn't have a specific project. The cardboard box contains Tubey and the rest of the yarn to finish it, as well as a bag of sock yarns. The white plastic bag contains a bunch of Lamb's Pride and a half finished cardigan, of which the body needs to be frogged and redone, now that my stitches are more even :rollseyes: , and the plastic bag in front is a bunch of Wool-Ease for my Very Tall Socks.
I have NO IDEA how I'm going to manage to move all of this home for the summer! :doh: Oh! And at my dad's place at home, I just got a box of lace yarns and Shine from Knit Picks. :roflhard:

carollovesyarn
02-21-2006, 03:36 PM
ooooh KellyK, I love the tote you're working on. Have you decided on handles?

I'll post a pic of the Noro purse when it's done-done. I just ordered the handles (which I couldn't find at lys here or in So CA) and then I can attach them and line it. Grandma didn't want the light bamboo handles - I hope she likes the ones I'm getting!

Jenelle
02-21-2006, 03:43 PM
Yup...that's the Bernat Denimstyle that I got for DHs sweater. Good eye!

Maybe we should play "Name That Stash"!! :lol:

The only way I noticed it was because the way they have there skeins. I was going to guess Bernat Softee Chunky because they both look the same, but I decided not to :lol:

Hopefully I can get my stash all organized on my bed tonight and get a picture of it. It's gotten bigger since christmas :shock: :rofling:

aylaanne
02-21-2006, 03:54 PM
Better to get him trained BEFORE the wedding, if at ALL possible! ;)

:roflhard: We talked about it last night, and decided that as long as I can continue to pay my bills, I'm doing okay. :D My father just gave me my christmas money, so I'm going to go blow some $$ on stash today on my way to work (I love this stuff).

KellyK
02-21-2006, 04:06 PM
ooooh KellyK, I love the tote you're working on. Have you decided on handles?

Thanks, Carol! :heart: Im happy with the color combo....it was supposed to be a stash buster project, but, well, Ive already run to the LYS twice and had to order more online. Read the saga in my blog thread if you'd like... :lol:

Im making 6-st ICord handles...nice and STURDY! Im gonna do a BO like the FT Clog cuffs and make buttonholes in 4 places right under the "cuff".

Mienna
02-21-2006, 05:01 PM
I, personally, don't have a stash yet, I just started knitting. :p But I will take a picture of my Moms stash that she has at MY house, not to mention the yarn she has at hers which is double or more what she has here. She has an obsession, do they have therapist for that? Hehe, I can't complain she said I could use what I wanted. :cheering: :cheering:

Holly

Ronda
02-21-2006, 07:36 PM
OMG. You people have some yarn to die for, don't you?

Well, I'm a relative newbie, but here is my stash.

gimmesanity
02-21-2006, 08:26 PM
DH cleared out three drawers in his office for my stash - silly man, he thought 3 drawers would be enough. ;) I also have a smallish box of various skeins of WOTA for felting projects.

Jenelle
02-21-2006, 11:03 PM
My stash!!

It's bigger than what I thought too :shock:

Ingrid
02-21-2006, 11:12 PM
And tomorrow you're going to get more!! :happydance:

Jenelle
02-21-2006, 11:14 PM
Yes yes!!

I think I'm going to need to go through my closet, see what I need and don't need, throw out what I don't want, and then throw my yarn in there, and then put shelves in there to make it more organized. :rofling:

I have no more storage left at all though :(

carollovesyarn
02-21-2006, 11:15 PM
You're gonna need a bigger drawer.

Ingrid
02-21-2006, 11:50 PM
There are always those storage boxes that fit under the bed!! ;)

Jenelle
02-21-2006, 11:58 PM
I know. But have you noticed that they are exspensive?? :shock:

I might have to bargain with my mom to buy me some, or I earn the money myself.

I'll have to see where they are cheaper. We checked at General Dollar today and they are like 5$ for a little 12in x 13in!!!! :shock:

Ingrid
02-22-2006, 12:02 AM
I know we found them cheaper at Walmart. They had a set of nesting ones, too. Keep looking. Another thing that works well for storage are the clear zippered bags that come on curtains and comforters. Tell everyone you know to save them for your. They keep out dust and stuff, too.

I've seen Ziploc advertise really, really big bags, too. that would work.

Jenelle
02-22-2006, 02:24 PM
Yeah. I talked to my dad last night and he said he would talk to my mom about getting me some containers. I'll check at walmart today or even Ollies, because I know they have them. I know to stay away from K-Mart also, they are sky rocketing there prices. :shock:

gardenmommy
02-22-2006, 03:11 PM
Jenelle, I have a fairly large clear vinyl zippered bag thing like Ingrid was talking about, I just got a new mattress pad was in it. I'd be happy to mail it to you! One advantage of those is they are "squishier" and easier to stuff under a bed! LOL

Just PM me your address!

Jenelle
02-22-2006, 04:10 PM
I just PMed you :)

Is there anything I can give you in return??

Aello
02-22-2006, 05:13 PM
If you hear a strange noise in the middle of the night, it is certainly NOT me searching for the yarn closets lol. So just go back to sleep.

You people made me drool all over the keyboard. I hope you're happy!
Yummy! And my DH think I have a problem... I am going to show him this thread as well lol.

RosesArePurple
02-22-2006, 05:37 PM
Wow at those stashes!!!!!

I'm just a beginner whose household is in storage right now, so no pictures. I have two of those clear bags sheets come in full of Target yarn after it went half off. A few Hobby Lobby skeins, and a few Sugar and Cream balls for dishcloths, plus the remains of two frogged thrift store sweaters!

So, not to help me build a stash or anything, I noticed Ingrid said she buys enough to make a large sweater. Um, just how much yarn would that be? :thinking:

Jenelle
02-22-2006, 05:45 PM
Ohh thrift store sweaters.

What type of fiber is the yarn?

RosesArePurple
02-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Wool. I didn't know any better, I thought it *HAD* to be wool. :doh:

One was this oversized Puruvian stained sweater (I don't know what I was thinking) made from thick one ply wool replete with burrs!. Most of it was undyed wool. It's just balled up. I need to wash it. I don't know what I'll do with it.

The other was a two ply thin, really easy to break wool from a Scottish sweater. It had a lovely grey yarn, and vibrant reds, blacks, some white. I used it for my first projects, toy balls, which I felted to hide my mistakes!! I still have some of the grey.

[Edited to add] I couldn't have paid more than $2 USD for each one.

Ingrid
02-22-2006, 07:21 PM
Um, just how much yarn would that be? Thinking

I usually go for 1800-2000 yards. I always have leftovers. :oops:

kayeknit
02-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Wow!!!
I feel so darn impoverished!
Sooo... who seems to have the largest stash?? :??

Jenelle
02-22-2006, 07:46 PM

Well, that's not a hard question.

Out of all of us, Ingrid. I mean, look at hers! :shock: :shock:

Ingrid
02-22-2006, 07:59 PM

Well, that's not a hard question.

Out of all of us, Ingrid. I mean, look at hers! :shock: :shock:

Maybe I do, out the the people who posted here, but I remember a picture from someone from Long Island, NY that had an entire room!! I can't remember who it was, and I apologize, but she was the Queen of Stash!

Jenelle
02-22-2006, 08:03 PM
Eep!! :shock:

I don't think I could ever let myself get that much yarn. I do like to have quite a bit on hand but NEVER that much :shock:

Heck you my as well open up a yarn store with that much yarn :rofling:

carollovesyarn
02-22-2006, 09:14 PM
I'm embarrassed to say that was only a fraction of my stash. :oops: Which is why I'm on a serious yarn diet.

My last purchase was 7 pounds of cotton chenille off eBay. It ended up costing me less than $0.60 a 50g ball. I HAD to buy it! I'm in flower face cloth heaven right now. :XX: Plus about half of it's undyed, so I'm thinking of dying it and making cushy soft pullovers.