PDA

View Full Version : how do you knit this?

mrosen
02-28-2006, 02:43 PM
I found this free pattern and am wondering how difficult it will be to knit the design part that goes across the chest. It looks like maybe on the WS of the design the colors are carried across the back, until it is time to pick them up agaiin??

If anyone knows how to knit this kind of pattern or has suggestions, I'd be interested to discuss! I am posting a small pic because I don't know what to call it or how to describe it. If this is a no-no then let me know and I shall remove it. The pattern is free (woohoo!), and if you need to see larger pics or instructions, it can be found here:

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=85&d_id=5&lang=en

Jenelle
02-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Denpending on your skill, it might take a bit of time. Looks to be semi-complicated because of the multiple color changes.

Have you ever worked with Fair Isle or Intarsia knitting?

mrosen
02-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Is intarsia where you use bobbins of different colors, and then when you come to the next color, you twist the yarns together, then pick up your next color? That is what I did for my baby blanket. I have not done any fair isle patterns. Is that what this is?

Jan in CA
02-28-2006, 03:03 PM
That's a beautiful sweater. I'm not sure what it is either, but Ingrid will probably know and pop in here soon.

Jenelle
02-28-2006, 03:06 PM
Its hard to tell. I'm betting on Fair Isle.

Ingrid
02-28-2006, 04:52 PM
It's definitely a Fair Isle/stranded knitting pattern. They look a lot more complicated than they really are. Most patterns only use two colors per row, and the colors are carried across the back. Amy has video on stranded knitting, and there are many books out there on how to knit Fair Isle.

Basically you work from a chart and switch colors when the chart indicates. There are techniques that make for nicer looking, more even Fair Isle, but you can check out those when you decide to make it. You might want to try the technique on something small like a hat to get the hang of it first.

mrosen
03-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Thanks for your replies. Now that I look at it more closely, I see what you mean about it being only 2 colors per row. That makes it a bit less daunting, I think. This will probably be one of those projects I work in between other projects (because it looks like it owuld take a long time!).