PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Fingers

Yogamommi
02-28-2006, 06:06 PM
I am new to knitting and I hold the yarn in my right hand. I'm noticing that I'm getting a callous (which is sore) on my right index finger. Is this supposed to happen? :thinking: If so does anyone have any ideas of what to do or is this part of knitting that gets better over time? :??

knittingachiever
02-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Is it where the yarn drapes over your finger to hold tension?

The same thing has happened to me, but now I'm calloused like a bass player and I can't feel a thing, so it should get better. If it gets raw, try some triple antibiotic ointment on it overnight.

I had a sore finger experience just recently when I broke out a set of vintage plastic dpns from my late grandmother's cache. They're really sharp, and I got a raw sore spot on the tip of my finger where I'd brace the needle tip to scooch the loops up. Youch!

Ingrid
02-28-2006, 07:30 PM
I have callouses from knitting, too. If I'm working on a long project, I'll build them up in particular spots. I've had to use bandaids for very sharp needles because I must be consistent--I'd poke the same sore spot every single time!
Protect it while it's raw, and your skin will get used to it.

aylaanne
02-28-2006, 07:37 PM
I've used pieces of moleskin that I cut and place on my fingers as well, the yarn and the needles rip up the moleskin and leave my fingers alone. After I take it off, the adhesive comes off with a little acetone nail polish remover.

knittingachiever
02-28-2006, 07:38 PM
I've used pieces of moleskin that I cut and place on my fingers as well, the yarn and the needles rip up the moleskin and leave my fingers alone. After I take it off, the adhesive comes off with a little acetone nail polish remover.
That's a cool idea. I'll have to try it!

sogrammatical
02-28-2006, 08:22 PM
I've had to train myself not to push the tip of the needles against my fingertips when I'm getting stitches off the end of the needle because I would get really sore spots.

Lana
02-28-2006, 08:30 PM
Interesting.............. :thinking:

I work my yarn with my left hand and I have never experienced calloused fingers.
Sore thumb joints required me to modify my technique several years ago. :help:

aylaanne
02-28-2006, 11:16 PM
Interesting.............. :thinking:

I work my yarn with my left hand and I have never experienced calloused fingers.
Sore thumb joints required me to modify my technique several years ago. :help:
I learned how to continental knit so that I won't have sore fingers with dpns, at least. I like it for working seed stitch, too.

hedgehog
03-01-2006, 12:22 PM
I have gotten sore fingertips before as well. When working fast on a LONG project the pads on my fingers hurt from pushing on the tip of the left needle

I use leather thimbles to protect my fingertips. It was a little funky to get used to at first, but after a while it got really easy. They have a little plastic barrier that is perfect to use instead of my tender fingers!

-hh

bjc1050
03-01-2006, 08:12 PM
I have found these Thimble-Its to be VERY helpful. They come in packages of 64 and are reusable. I found them at Michael's for $3.99 a package, but they can be ordered on line, also. With Michael's 40% coupon, they would be even less expensive. I think they are investment. They hold up to the knitting needles.

http://www.colonialneedle.com/qsgraphics/thimbleit_both.jpg