PDA

View Full Version : dye lot delimma

aylaanne
02-28-2006, 06:58 PM
hey folks.

So, I'm knitting this blanket with two colors of Lion Brand Microspun, and I didnt get enough yarn. I bought the yarn from Michaels weeks ago, so I didn't think they'd have the same dye lot, but I brought swatches and labels anyways.

I got two more skeins of yarn, one in each color, but they're both different dye lots than my original, though I can't tell the difference by sight, even after knitting them together in small swatches.

So, how should I test this? It's my first gift project besides fiance's hat. I thought about just washing and drying my test swatches (with one strand of each dye lot knitted in) to see what happened, but right now I don't see a difference. And the blanket is knitted with one strand of each color all the way through, making color differences (hopefully) less noticable. Any other suggestions/ideas?

Ingrid
02-28-2006, 07:17 PM
Knit on. There is very little difference in dye lots in commercial yarns these days. If you can't see a difference, then don't worry about it.

aylaanne
02-28-2006, 07:21 PM
That's what I was hoping, but there's so much emphasis on dye lot matching that it made me nervous. Thanks for the reinforcement. :happydance: :XX:

Ingrid
02-28-2006, 07:32 PM
I think the dye lot matching is more important in small mills and less processed yarn. It's also a way for the large companies to protect themselves.

brendajos
02-28-2006, 07:38 PM
My LYS always tells me if you are mixing colors it really doesn't matter because if there is a slight difference it will just look like the yarns are twisted different.