PDA

View Full Version : Now FO'd!!! - Virginia Tank from KnitPicks

Friskums
02-28-2006, 09:51 PM
I'm knitting the Virginia Tank from KnitPicks with the alpaca/silk blend yarn called Shimmer - color Morning Mist. I started the night before last (I think) and I've been working on it while at work the past two days. I think I've got about 2 or 3 inches done of the stocking/rib pattern. So, it's getting there, but it's still got a ways to go yet.

I think it's really strange how the light blue color keeps layering on itself and there's just a big chunk of that one color.
http://www.ekittie.com/images/knitting/tank1.jpg
http://www.ekittie.com/images/knitting/tank2.jpg
http://www.ekittie.com/images/knitting/tank3.jpg
http://www.ekittie.com/images/knitting/tank4.jpg

I'll update this as I go along and add more when I've got it done.

Jenelle
02-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Pretty! Awesome job so far. I love the color :thumbsup:

Ingrid
02-28-2006, 11:05 PM
That's going to be gorgeous and unique!!

Angelia
02-28-2006, 11:05 PM
I think that's called "pooling." It makes the sweater look tye-dyed--I like it a lot! :thumbsup:

Friskums
02-28-2006, 11:17 PM
Ah. Interesting. Learn something new every day. ;)

Thanks. ^_^ It's my first real project. I'm so nervous.
My gauge was right on on my test swatch, but it's a little different now on the real thing. I hope it's not enough to make a difference.

Of course, since I have to block it when I'm done I'm hoping the little irregularities will soften themselves and be less noticeable. I've never blocked before either.

So many new things!! :shock: :lol:

Angelia
02-28-2006, 11:21 PM
I've read somewhere...I hope I'm not making this up...that to avoid pooling, alternate balls of yarn every couple rows or so. That seems like a lot of trouble to me, but if the pooling is really a problem, or if it bothers you, there is a way to avoid it.

As I said earlier, though, in your sweater it looks great!

I've never blocked anything either...well, except for felted bags, but those don't really count!

Friskums
02-28-2006, 11:32 PM
No, no. I don't mind it at all. The 'pooling' thing is kinda neat.
I just found it really strange that it was doing that. :lol:

Friskums
03-02-2006, 02:47 PM
So, my shirt's on hold for today. A friend from work came out of the hospital yesterday, so I'm making her a pair of those Pocketbook Slippers.
I'm really trying to get them done today so that I can drop them off for her tomorrow at the latest.

Before I was doing the shirt, I thought these slippers took a long time to knit up. :lol: Boy, they sure seem like they are going fast now.

Ronda
03-02-2006, 04:22 PM
I've read somewhere...I hope I'm not making this up...that to avoid pooling, alternate balls of yarn every couple rows or so. That seems like a lot of trouble to me, but if the pooling is really a problem, or if it bothers you, there is a way to avoid it.

I saw this in the KnitPicks catalog but I had no idea what pooling was. Frankly, I think it's terrific! It looks great to me! Can't wait to see it when it's finished.

Angelia
03-02-2006, 04:32 PM
:figureditout: KP!! That's where I saw the info on pooling! Thanks, Ronda, for mentioning them!

HeatherFeather
03-02-2006, 04:33 PM
did you do your swatch flat? that might have something to do with your gauge being different.

To get a more concise swatch, cast on the number needed, and do a big I-chord, but don't pull the yarn behind it tight. You generally knit a different guage than you purl, and this will solve that, sort of.

I tried to find where Amy described it, but couldn't..so I described best I could.

Friskums
03-02-2006, 05:29 PM
did you do your swatch flat? that might have something to do with your gauge being different.

To get a more concise swatch, cast on the number needed, and do a big I-chord, but don't pull the yarn behind it tight. You generally knit a different guage than you purl, and this will solve that, sort of.

I tried to find where Amy described it, but couldn't..so I described best I could.
I did start flat, then remembered it was different in the round, so I switched to the "round" (what you just described) and did the swatch.

I'm just gonna keep going till I have about 6 inches and then measure again, all over the place. If it's still off, I'll probably just start over with diff size needles.

HeatherFeather
03-02-2006, 08:37 PM
is this for you? and is it REALLY REALLY REALLY off???? I seldom if EVER swatch...well I"ve swatched socks and Amy's square...AHHHHHHHHH I can SAY IT OUT LOUD!!! rofl...

but for something like that...would 1/2 or 2 stitches really matter? just something to think about. :) :lol:

Friskums
03-02-2006, 11:03 PM
It is for me. And no, I don't think it's -really- going to matter. Specially cuz I hafta block it afterwards.

So, I'm kinda worried about it, but at the same time, I'm not.

It is only off slightly.

I don't think I'm going to swatch after this. Yeah, I know you're supposed to, but if I'm knitting something in the round, I'm just going to start. Knitting straight I think my swatch will be on, so I'll probably do that, but knitting in the round...I don't trust the swatch now. :lol:

I'm so bummed I missed out on being able to participate in Amy's blanket. :crying:

Friskums
03-03-2006, 02:24 AM
Finished the slippers. Well, I've gotta seam the other one, which I'll do tomorrow at work. Bed time now. *yawn*
http://www.ekittie.com/images/knitting/paleslipper3.jpg
http://www.ekittie.com/images/knitting/paleslipper2.jpg
http://www.ekittie.com/images/knitting/paleslipper1.jpg

First one shows the color best. Hope they fit. They seem smaller than the other pair. Guess I'll find out tomorrow...er, well, later today. :rofling:

Angelia
03-03-2006, 07:53 AM
That slipper is so cute!! :inlove: :inlove: I love the Mary Jane look--and the yarn is fun! Happy feet!

Andrea
03-03-2006, 08:01 AM
Very cute slippers!!

HeatherFeather
03-03-2006, 08:39 AM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :heart: :heart: :heart: them!!!! :) awsome colors too!!!

ya...it's fun to pick something up and work on it quickly!!! :) That's my preference actually. My attention span doesn't do well with BIG projects!!!

Friskums
03-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Tragedy! >_<

I was cruising along on my shirt just fine, then suddenly noticed I had started ribbing where it was just straight knitting. :doh: It's only a few rows back, and since I'm terrified to just pull it out and try sticking the needles in again, I'm just going to un-knit it. TINK, I think it's called? :??

I was trying to figure out how to get a needle and yarn through a spot just below the mistake so I could try frogging to that point, but...I couldn't figure it out. So, we're tinking tonight. :?

HeatherFeather
03-03-2006, 09:21 PM
OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...it's amazing isn't that "auto pilot" takes over...I"m doing a seed stitch right now, and need to make a button band which is p 5....you'd THINK because the flipping back and forth I'd be happy to do the p5 at the beg. of each row...nope...more times than not I'd have to TINK.

So...this will be good practice!!! and i'm pretty good at it now, I think I'd rather TINK than frog, because I NEVER get the yarn back on right...

jamadian75
03-04-2006, 01:46 AM
Must. Have. This. Pattern.

Please ( :D )

Those slippers are beyond!! :heart: :heart:
Nice work! :thumbsup:

Angelia
03-04-2006, 09:02 AM
I always unknit rather than frog if I only have to go back a couple of rows. It takes longer, but with unknitting I'm assured of three things: no split yarn, no dropped stitches, and no twisted stitches.

Friskums
03-04-2006, 02:17 PM
After I unknit one row, when I came up to the spot again (I still don't know what I was thinking...I just randomly started ribbing) I got very clever. Instead of going another 2 rounds, I just intentionally dropped the stitch, pulled it down till it was past the mistake, then used a small pointy object and picked them back up the right way. It worked out very well, and noting got all screwed up. I'm thinking of doing that for another spot where I mis-stitched. Although, it's just one stitch, and probably no one will notice. I purled a knit stitch in the ribbing.

I've got 5 inches of it done now. 6 more to go, then I get to start increasing, putting half the stitchs on another needle and doing more crap that I can't remember right now. :lol:

I guess I was worrying about the amount of yarn needed for no reason. I'm gonna have plenty.

(I'm a lazy bum today and just added the pics here rather than to my site.)

Ingrid
03-04-2006, 02:19 PM
What you did is actually a perfect way to fix a stitch that's a few rows down. A crochet hook is perfect for this. Amy even has video on it.

Friskums
03-04-2006, 02:22 PM
What you did is actually a perfect way to fix a stitch that's a few rows down. A crochet hook is perfect for this. Amy even has video on it.
I actaully got a good handle on picking up dropped stitches from Nona's I-cord Mittens that someone posted a link to while I was looking for a way to cover my fingers.

I only have one crochet hook, and it was too big for the stitches. So, I just grabbed a toothpick and used that. :lol:

Friskums
03-04-2006, 02:26 PM
Must. Have. This. Pattern.

Please ( :D )

Those slippers are beyond!! :heart: :heart:
Nice work! :thumbsup:
It's not a free pattern, but the link to order it is:here (https://www.knitpicks.com/Projects/Projects_Display_Yarn.aspx?itemid=50364220&yarnid=5420112)

Angelia
03-05-2006, 09:44 AM
Oooh, the tank is looking even more loverly!! :inlove:

knittingachiever
03-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Those slippers are ADORABLE!!! I love the Mary Jane strap - so so cute. :cheering:

And I'm excited to see your progress on the tank - that yarn is yummy.

Shandeh
03-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Great job on the TINKing. I just love that word. It's KNIT backwards! :roflhard:

Too bad we can't say we are LRUPing when we undo PURL stitches. :lol:

Friskums
03-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Maybe just pretend and say LURP? :thinking: ;) :lol:

Thanks for the compliments.
The slippers -are- just adorable. And the color looks so much better than in those pics. And so comfy! (even with the cheap acrylic yarn I used)

Angelia
03-06-2006, 08:39 PM
I like lurp ;)

Shandeh
03-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Ok, now that we've chosen our "lurp", we can say that we spend our days, knitting and purling.....and tinking and lurping..... :happydance:

Angelia
03-06-2006, 09:32 PM
I like it!! Makes what I do every day sort of official, what with the nifty terms and all! :happydance: :happydance:

Friskums
03-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Both tink and lurp are just fun to say. :lol:

Friskums
03-07-2006, 01:39 AM
So, we're up to 7 1/2 inches on the tank. And on one side there's a very big "pool". It just amazes me. Two strands of yarn are matching up repeatedly enough to make a big section of the same color. Craziness.

http://ekittie.com/images/knitting/tank7.jpg
http://ekittie.com/images/knitting/tank8.jpg
http://ekittie.com/images/knitting/tank9.jpg
(Apparently my thigh makes a good holder for the shirt while I take pics. :lol:

And my little center pull ball I made is getting pretty squishy. Thinkin I'm gonna hafta get the other hank wound up and ready to go pretty soon here.

http://ekittie.com/images/knitting/squish.jpg

Angelia
03-07-2006, 08:48 AM
Wow, the more you knit on that, the more I just love that yarn! :inlove: :inlove:

Shandeh
03-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Hey, maybe when you're done, the "Virginia" tank will look like a geographical map of Virginia! You might have to change the name though, if it looks like....Texas, or something. :roflhard:

It reminds me of rivers and lakes and land.....a real geological study. You should call it the "Landscape" tank.

It's really coming along - and looks so cool!

Friskums
03-07-2006, 12:37 PM
:roflhard:
That's hilarious. I just assumed it was someone's name or something. I never even though of the state. Which is kind of funny, since I'm -from- Virginia....

Virginia, Minnesota that is. ;)

Friskums
03-09-2006, 05:25 PM
So, I've finally seperated the tube I've been knitting for the sleeves. So now I'm just going to be working the back and then the front. After a little confusion about which side to start on , I've got about an inch done.

Since I added the new ball of yarn, it's coming out more like I think it was supposed to, color-wise. It's supposed to have rings/stripes of the colors. I had screwed it up before cuz the yarn was uneven, but I think I liked the messier look better. I'll take more pics when I get home so you guys can see what I'm talking about better.

While I was working it in the round no one believed me that it was a shirt for me. Today I got asked if it was a sweatera sweater for a cat. :lol: I try to explain that it's just bunched up, but....they just don't get it. ;)

Friskums
03-10-2006, 07:30 PM
I'm done with the back! I'm done with the back!!! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

I forgot to take pics last night, but I'll take some tonight.

I just hope it fits. :pray:

Angelia
03-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Oooh, can't wait to see it! :happydance:

Friskums
03-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Here's the pics.

It's backwards, cuz I wanted to show it off better. It's snug, but it fits. Shorter than I thought too, but, that's ok. I'm just so excited it's almost done!!!

(Hope no one is offended by the back of my bra. If you are, just say so and I'll take it down.)
http://ekittie.com/images/knitting/tank12.jpg
http://ekittie.com/images/knitting/tank11.jpg
http://ekittie.com/images/knitting/tank10.jpg

Oh, and I LOVE my Denises. I just popped the needle ends off, put on the stoppers, and boom! I can try on my shirt. They are AWESOME!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

sara_jayne
03-10-2006, 09:57 PM
It looks wonderful - great job so far!! Isn't it fun to be so close?

Ingrid
03-10-2006, 10:09 PM
That looks great on you! You've got the figure for it, for sure!

I do, by the way find your bra extrememly offensive, since I so rarely see one. :rofling:

Shandeh
03-11-2006, 03:07 AM
What a great top! Isn't it fun to be able to wear your own handiwork? You go girl! :thumbsup:

Friskums
03-11-2006, 03:36 AM
I do, by the way find your bra extrememly offensive, since I so rarely see one. :rofling:

Well, I think that's just too bad. Cuz I fibbed, I'm not taking it down. ;)

Angelia
03-11-2006, 09:34 AM

Well, I think that's just too bad. Cuz I fibbed, I'm not taking it down. ;)

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

The tank looks absolutely gorgeous!! :inlove: :inlove: That yarn is doing some interesting things colorwise--love it!!

Friskums
03-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Yeah, it started self striping when I added the new ball.

I was really liking the pooling effect, but, when it's on, the stripes don't bug me as much I guess. I kinda liked it.
Strange stuff. :lol:

Friskums
03-12-2006, 10:54 PM
It's done! My first real project. ^_^ Sooooooooo, pleased!!! :happydance: :happydance: (As if you couldn't tell. :blush: )
http://www.ekittie.com/images/knitting/tankdone2.jpg
http://www.ekittie.com/images/knitting/tankdone1.jpg
Anyway, this thing feels -great- on. And even though we're not supposed to wear tank tops at work, I'm -so- wearing this baby in.

I love it. There's a few minor mistakes that no one will ever notice.

I wish the bottom edge wouldn't roll up so much. Even with the garter stitches, it's flipping up. Probably could have used a few more rows.

But still... I :heart: :heart: :heart: it!

Edited to add: The pattern says to block the stockinette sections. Should I? Do I have to? I don't mind if I do, I'm just wondering, since it fits, if I still need to.
Thanks

Ingrid
03-12-2006, 11:05 PM
It looks wonderful! :cheering: :cheering:

If you like it the way it is, don't bother blocking it.

BinkyKat
03-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Way to go! The tank looks faboo on ya! I agree with Carolina Red, it is great to wear you're own handiwork isn't it?
Congrats on another FriskyKittie fashion success!!
:thumbsup:

Friskums
03-12-2006, 11:32 PM
Yeah, it is. It's my first time too, so this is just way too cool. :D

Angelia
03-13-2006, 12:53 AM
Oh it looks gorgeous!! :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

And that yarn is just fantastic--I love the differnet stripes and pools. Even using the same yarn, no one will ever have a tank that looks like yours! :thumbsup:

CateKnits
03-13-2006, 01:40 AM
I love it! I like yours better than the picture for the pattern. Yours makes me want to knit one and theirs didn't do much for me. :thumbsup:

catownedanna
03-13-2006, 03:53 AM
When I saw the first pictures of your tank I thought it was too bad that you had that kind of colour pooling...Looking at it all finished though, it looks great!!! I love the way the colours pool and stripe.

Nice fit too! :D

Friskums
03-13-2006, 04:09 AM
Yeah, at first I didn't like the huge amount of the same color. But it ended up working pretty well.

Thanks everyone. ^_^ :heart:

Andrea
03-13-2006, 07:26 AM
:cheering: Nice job!!! :cheering:

Amber
03-13-2006, 11:05 AM
It turned out fantastic! It fits you perfectly too! Great job!

sara_jayne
03-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Great job! Those colors are beautiful!

Tessa
03-13-2006, 11:51 AM
Wow, this top is so elegant! I may have to make it myself.

The pooling totally works, too. Great job.
:)

LeslieA
03-13-2006, 12:18 PM
That is really cool. I fits you great and you made it. I love the color it almost looks a little tie dyed with the way it swirls and stuff. Great job.

Shandeh
03-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Gorgeous! Gorgeous!

I'm so jealous.....I wish I was thin enough to wear something like that. I would look like the Michelin Woman or the Stay Puff Marshmallow Girl if I wore a tank top. :roflhard:

VictoiseC
03-13-2006, 02:48 PM
OMG! Those slippers are darling. I want a pair! They look really quick to knit up too. did you post the pattern.... I'll go back and look...
I like the sweater too, it'll look great with jeans. I never used yarn like that, it is very different...the way it does that.

Friskums
03-13-2006, 03:17 PM
I didn't post the pattern, but the link I got it from is here (http://www.geocities.com/knitwits_heaven/pocketbookslippers.html)

Yeah, it would look nice with jeans. Wish I would wear those to work too.

KatyMaria56
03-13-2006, 03:29 PM
I love the little blue bloblette I think the colors are wonderful :D

VictoiseC
03-13-2006, 05:05 PM
Thanks for posting the link! :thumbsup:

AnreeAce
03-14-2006, 11:15 AM
That's such beautiful work! Be proud, be VERY proud!

Thanks for sharing it as you went along, makes me feel like we were in a coffee shop together.

Keep it up!