PDA

View Full Version : Self-fringing scarf

trouper
03-01-2006, 07:41 PM
I asked before about a pattern for a self-fringing scarf but I wasn't particularly clear...the one I'm looking for is a scarf that fringes by pulling a strand of yarn when you have knit the body of the scarf and....magically, you have fringe along the sides of the scarf! If this makes any sense to anyone who just happens to know how to do it I would be very happy to get the instructions. More than one person has given me verbal instructions (which are probably great if you've made the scarf) but I am too visual to be able to absorb information w/o seeing it done or written.

Thank you.....

Nancy

KellyK
03-02-2006, 08:35 AM
I think I saw a scarf like that on Knitty Gritty once.... you may want to do a quick search on DIY.com

Shandeh
03-05-2006, 01:41 AM
Here's a pattern for a shawl with self-fringing ends, but I don't have one for a scarf:
http://www.knitpicks.com/Projects/Projects_Display_Yarn.aspx?itemid=50354220&yarnid=5420120

FeliciaCW
03-10-2006, 03:03 PM
The self-fringe scarf is incredibly easy...in fact, I made 8 of them for holiday gifts. Just cast on as many stitches as you'd like for the width of the scarf and knit it in garter stitch (knit every row) for the length you'd like it. On the last row, knit the first 3 stitches (or more if you'd like longer fringe), bind off until the last 3 stitches. Then take the first 3 stitches and last 3 stitches off the needle and rip them down the side of the scarf - there's your fringe (it's looped fringe). Have fun with this!