PDA

View Full Version : I luv doggie sweaters! (Post more dog pix!!)

knit-a-holic
03-02-2006, 05:42 PM
If you love your pooch :heart: , here's a perfect place to show them off! :waving: Show off your knitted sweaters with your dog wearing it, or any knitted dog accessories. I love seeing the creativity! If you have pets other than dogs, they are also welcomed! My next project is to knit my loveable yorkie (Buster) a hooded sweater. (Well, he's my brother's dog, but I love him anyway!) :XX: Share your pet stories as well!

CarmenIbanez
03-02-2006, 05:58 PM
This is the whole reason I learned how to knit. I owe it all to her, my first ever dog. She is three now, which means I have been knitting for three years. I still take time between projects to knit her and her brother little blankets and sweaters and things. Having them helps me during those unfortunate "baby cravings" I have about once every few years!

knit-a-holic
03-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Awww. He's cute!!! Love the sweater! :heart:

butterflymama
03-02-2006, 07:04 PM
I love that sweater. Do tell the pattern and yarn colors please.

I just lost my beloved dog, Chloe (chihuahua), 2/16 from an attack Rottweiler and his lab mix mother. She was 8 years old 2/15. Her brother, Silas is very sad and lonely and I think that sweater would look perfect on him. (attack story is I let her out to pee, turned my head to pick up my oldest and she was attacked, less than 2 feet from my front door and we live on the back of 7 acres....by a neighbors dogs. It was truely one of the most horrible things I have ever seen)

Anyway, not to dampen the mood! I love to see pics of furbabies.

CarmenIbanez
03-02-2006, 07:12 PM
I am so so sorry! I just made this sweater up, but I know I have my notes on it at home, so I will put them together and send them to you!

I hope the authorities took those dogs away! They need to be put down. Any dog that attacks another animal or a person shouldn't get a second chance.

JessicaR
03-02-2006, 07:19 PM
I still have my sweater up for grabs!

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10030

bjc1050
03-02-2006, 08:37 PM

I just lost my beloved dog, Chloe (chihuahua), 2/16 from an attack Rottweiler and his lab mix mother. She was 8 years old 2/15. Her brother, Silas is very sad and lonely and I think that sweater would look perfect on him. (attack story is I let her out to pee, turned my head to pick up my oldest and she was attacked, less than 2 feet from my front door and we live on the back of 7 acres....by a neighbors dogs. It was truely one of the most horrible things I have ever seen)

Truly sorry about the loss of your chihuahua baby. It seems that no one is safe from vicious dogs whether in rural areas or urban. We have a few pit bulls in our neighborhood that concern me. Fortunately, they aren't next door, but still make me nervous to walk my dogs past them.

bjc1050
03-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Chihuahua's are awfully cute. However, I believe that yorkies are the cutest dogs that God created. Can't help being partial. I've had three of them.

Here's Pepper in the sweater I knitted for him.

knit-a-holic
03-02-2006, 08:42 PM

I am really sorry to hear about your dog. :crying: I used have a flat-coated retriever named Midnight Shadow. She was all black. She was the best dog ever! She died Christmas Eve (1999) morning from a tumor in her front left leg. She was only about 7 yrs old. My Dad cried the most, though we all cried too. I still think of her every day. She was a big part our family. I should scan her pictures. I do agree they need to put those dogs away! :mad: I will post the link of the hooded dog sweater I want to knit. I have it saved on my comp at home. (I'm at work.) That would be nice to knit Silas a sweater! I'm sure he would love it! :heart:

butterflymama
03-02-2006, 08:43 PM
Thank you. Its still hard for me to talk about but the good news is I can go about 8 hours now without crying! That is a drastic improvement. Even my 2 year old still asks about her and gets very sad. (he saw the whole thing happen) Really, just a horrible, tragic death.

knit-a-holic
03-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Hi Beverly! As you can see I made a topic for dogs, especially for Yorkies! Tehehe. :D

bjc1050
03-02-2006, 08:47 PM
This is our yorkie, Dickens. He passed away in the fall of 2004 before I was able to finish a sweater I had started for him. He only weighed 6 lbs full grown. He was blind for the last 5 years or so of his life.

knit-a-holic
03-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Thank you. Its still hard for me to talk about but the good news is I can go about 8 hours now without crying! That is a drastic improvement. Even my 2 year old still asks about her and gets very sad. (he saw the whole thing happen) Really, just a horrible, tragic death.

:(

bjc1050
03-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Here;s Maggie in the sweater I intended for Pepper. However, she was jealous. So SHE ended up with the sweater.

butterflymama
03-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Here is pic of Chloe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/alicia215/100_0440.jpg

bjc1050
03-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Magie's newest sweater. I DO think she may become a clothes horse, :lol:

butterflymama
03-02-2006, 08:57 PM
All these yorkies are so cute!

What breed is Maggie? She looks huge in comparison! :lol:

bjc1050
03-02-2006, 09:03 PM
This is the whole reason I learned how to knit. I owe it all to her, my first ever dog. She is three now, which means I have been knitting for three years. I still take time between projects to knit her and her brother little blankets and sweaters and things. Having them helps me during those unfortunate "baby cravings" I have about once every few years!

My dogs are the reason I started knitting again. Lost contact with my granddaughter for more than 2 years (thought the separation would be permanent) and was devastated by that...couldn't finish sweater project started for her. Now only an act of God can take my fur babies from me.

bjc1050
03-02-2006, 09:16 PM
AWWw. Chloe IS so cute! Looks so sweet. :D

bjc1050
03-02-2006, 09:22 PM
Hi Beverly! As you can see I made a topic for dogs, especially for Yorkies! Tehehe. :D

Shucks! You shouldn't have. :lol: Once you get me talking about my dogs, I can't shut up. Big or small, I :heart: them all.

Cristy
03-02-2006, 09:41 PM
YOU GUYS!!! Stop posting all of the wonderful doggie pics... Plug your ears if you're tried of hearing this story....

When hubby and I married (4 months ago) he said the only prenups he had was to say that if I dressed the dog...he was leaving. He says dogs aren't supposed to wear clothes but what the H E double hockey sticks does he know anyway??!?!?

I'm knitting a sweater for the dog...I haven't started one yet but I will....and dh'll love it whether he wants to or not...HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA...(that's supposed to be sinister laughter...)

bjc1050
03-02-2006, 10:01 PM
Maggie is a pomeranian. She weighs about 10 lbs....the same as Pepper. She just has longer legs...the same difference in height between DH and myself...he's 6'2", I'm 4"11".:lol:

Not all poms are teacup size. They are in the spitz family, some of whom can weigh around 50 lbs. They also have chow in them. That must explain Maggies independent, stubborn nature. :lol:

I takes about 3 years for pomeranians to get their full coat. Maggie is only about 2 years old. We got her from a local shelter when she was 1 year old.

knit-a-holic
03-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Here;s Maggie in the sweater I intended for Pepper. However, she was jealous. So SHE ended up with the sweater.

Lol. That is too funny! :roflhard:

knit-a-holic
03-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Maggie is a pomeranian. She weighs about 10 lbs....the same as Pepper. She just has longer legs...the same difference in height between DH and myself...he's 6'2", I'm 4"11".:lol:

Not all poms are teacup size. They are in the spitz family, some of whom can weigh around 50 lbs. They also have chow in them. That must explain Maggies independent, stubborn nature. :lol:

I takes about 3 years for pomeranians to get their full coat. Maggie is only about 2 years old. We got her from a local shelter when she was 1 year old.

She is cute! Love the sweater! :heart:

knit-a-holic
03-02-2006, 10:50 PM
YOU GUYS!!! Stop posting all of the wonderful doggie pics... Plug your ears if you're tried of hearing this story....

When hubby and I married (4 months ago) he said the only prenups he had was to say that if I dressed the dog...he was leaving. He says dogs aren't supposed to wear clothes but what the H E double hockey sticks does he know anyway??!?!?

I'm knitting a sweater for the dog...I haven't started one yet but I will....and dh'll love it whether he wants to or not...HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA...(that's supposed to be sinister laughter...)

I don't even have my own dog, but at least I have my brothers. Lol. My bf is the same as your husband. I told him that dogs get cold too, and the sweater keeps them warm. He said dogs don't get cold. My bf is crazy. :rollseyes:

knit-a-holic
03-02-2006, 10:52 PM

Shucks! You shouldn't have. :lol: Once you get me talking about my dogs, I can't shut up. Big or small, I :heart: them all.

LOL. Yea me too. Big or small, I love them all!

knit-a-holic
03-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Yay! More Buster pix! He needs a sweater though!

knit-a-holic
03-02-2006, 11:22 PM
Magie's newest sweater. I DO think she may become a clothes horse, :lol:

Maggie is VERY fashionable I must say! ;)

Friskums
03-02-2006, 11:52 PM
Truly sorry about the loss of your chihuahua baby. It seems that no one is safe from vicious dogs whether in rural areas or urban. We have a few pit bulls in our neighborhood that concern me. Fortunately, they aren't next door, but still make me nervous to walk my dogs past them.

Just wanted to make a note that while yes, pits, by human creation, have the tendancy to be dog agressive, it's really the owners that are responsible. My bf and I just recently got a pit puppy and are working diligently on getting him socialized and properly trained.
If the dogs owner doesn't take proper care, and pits need more care around other dogs than most dogs, it's not the dogs fault.
Not to hijack the thread, it just hate seeing animals getting blamed and punished for people's shortcomings.
If you treat any dog the way pit bulls have been treated for so many generations, that dog(or breed) would be the same way. The only time animals ever fail is because their people have failed.
There are many other breeds that have a tendancy to start fights...pits just don't back down from one (again, because of the way people have bred and trained them.)

To get back on topic, I'm so god-awful sorry to hear about Chloe, butterflymama. I had a similar experience with my first pom, Chien. My horse kicked and killed him while my back was turned for 2 seconds, not 10 feet from me. I heard the thump of the kick and held him as he died. It was really traumatic. *hugs*
Finally, after almost 6 years I can talk about it without sobbing. Although I do still take some time on Sept 25th at about 2:00pm to cry for him if I still need to. That's the day and time he died, so I always portion it out for him.
I still miss him fiercely. :crying:

And to the rest : cute doggies!

knit-a-holic
03-02-2006, 11:58 PM
I still have my sweater up for grabs!

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10030

That's a cute webpage of your dog, Jessica..I didn't know they even had a webpage for dogs! I should make one now. :happydance:

knit-a-holic
03-03-2006, 12:01 AM
Sorry to hear about your doggie, frisky. That must've been traumatic. All of them are. I miss Shadow terribly! I can't take this anymore! *Sniff* *Sniff* :crying:

JessicaR
03-03-2006, 12:04 AM
Here's Rose modeling the sweater I'm trying to give away. Looks like a halter top on her ;) Enthused isn't she?

knit-a-holic
03-03-2006, 12:06 AM
Here is pic of Chloe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/alicia215/100_0440.jpg

Butterflymama: Chloe is a cute dog!

butterflymama
03-03-2006, 12:06 AM
[ it's really the owners that are responsible.

If the dogs owner doesn't take proper care, and pits need more care around other dogs than most dogs, it's not the dogs fault.

The only time animals ever fail is because their people have failed.

I totally 100% agree with this. I don't blme the dogs, I blame the owners.

And thank you for your kind words.

I am so sorry to hear about your dog!

knit-a-holic
03-03-2006, 12:07 AM
LMAO. Jessica-looks like she didn't like it at all! Awww! Too funny!! :roflhard:

bjc1050
03-03-2006, 10:39 AM
I don't blame attack dogs either, but the danger is still there.

Doberman's have a bad reputation, too. However, I've never met a vicious doberman...usually very friendly and sweet...some were even well trained.

bjc1050
03-03-2006, 10:44 AM
The pit bulls in our neighborhood are not kept in fenced yards. My husband has seen large boards in one yard. Apparently the boards are for the pit bulls to build up their jaws...doesn't sound good to me.

Not so long ago in our state, an eighty year old woman was mauled and killed by pit bulls while she was walking her small dog.

bjc1050
03-03-2006, 10:48 AM
We adopted our yorkie Pepper from a local rescue group. They said he came from Tennessee. Being from the deeper south, he feels the cold more than any of our previous dogs did. Pepper hovers next to the baseboard heat when he is cold. That's when I decided to knit him a sweater.

bjc1050
03-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Rose looks a lot like a dog I grew up with. Nothing ever disturbed her. She used to let me dress her in doll clothes when she was small enough.

JessicaR
03-03-2006, 11:03 AM
She's just miffed I got her up from her nap, which btw is 23 hours a day. Gotta pee and eat sometime I guess.

CarmenIbanez
03-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Just wanted to make a note that while yes, pits, by human creation, have the tendancy to be dog agressive, it's really the owners that are responsible. My bf and I just recently got a pit puppy and are working diligently on getting him socialized and properly trained.

Honestly what makes me angry is that not very many people take into consideration any realistic topics when they buy pets. There is a problem with Pitts and the problem is that humans have been breeding the most vicious dogs to each other for too many years. Yes, you can get a perfectly great dog and how you raise it makes a big difference. But if you are buying from a breeder that does not have their own lineage of dogs going back many years, it is just as easy to get a dog that has been bred for all the worst qualities. And I'm not sure it matters whether the dog is at fault or the owner is at fault when someone ends up maimed or dead.

Breeders are just like any other professional. If they are legitimate, then they have had many litters and will supply you with all the references you want. You call other people who have had their dogs, and you find out what to expect. It just makes me mad that people don't do their homework. I also think that there is a difference between bringing a small dog into your home and a large dog. Any dog can go bad, but the worst I can expect from my chihuahua is a bleeding ankle. A pitt bull can kill you.

Okay, enough ranting. :-)

bjc1050
03-03-2006, 02:13 PM
[quote=bjc1050]

I didn't write this. Just quoted it from another post.

The problem with pit bulls is that too many people deliberately train them to be fighting dogs. They are just as bad as terrorists. Just goes to show you...evil can be anywhere.

CarmenIbanez
03-03-2006, 02:25 PM
My bad for misquoting you! I shouldn't have posted it at all. It hijacked the thread more and I love to celebrate puppies, so forget it!

bjc1050
03-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Just came across this so haven't tried it yet. Thought it might be useful in the future. Going to post it in my blog Always a Beginner here at Knittinghelp, also.

http://www.thedietdiary.com/cgi-bin/chart_dog.pl

knit-a-holic
03-03-2006, 03:48 PM
I've heard about customizing websites. Those are cool! I'd have to try it one day when I get started on the sweater!

Knittens
03-04-2006, 06:33 PM
This is Fletch. He's a bit too big to sweaterize. And he's got all'a that fur. (I'm hoping to learn how to spin with his fur someday) He's and Old English Sheepdog.http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7186/2303/400/000_0026.jpg

knit-a-holic
03-04-2006, 11:13 PM
He just looks so soft n fluffy! :D Love the pic!

bjc1050
03-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Fletch looks so snuggly. :heart: Apparently, huskies aren't the ONLY dogs with blue eyes.