PDA

View Full Version : OT - Oscars...what did you all think?

hedgewick
03-06-2006, 11:18 AM
I thought John Stewart did a great job! Was also happy that March of the Penguins won documentary. I saw it in the theatre and loved it!

brendajos
03-06-2006, 11:40 AM
well i love me some Jon Stewart and he can do no wrong as far as i am concerned. (he's pretty, he's funny, and it seems like he may think like i do...what more could a girl want? ;) )

I was happy that Crash won. I loved Brokeback but i thought Crash was a phenomenal movie. I just saw TransAmerica yesterday and really thought that Felicity would win. Reese was great in Walk the Line but i think that Felicity did a better job. Only because i think it was a harder role to pull off. Really happy that Philip Seymour Hoffman won for Capote. Loved that movie too but i am a HUGE fan of the book and his portrayal was amazing. i was delighted to see George Clooney and Rachel Weisz win as well.

all in all i was very happy with the winners last night and could have been happy with others as well. I liked all the movies that were nominated for major awards save for Hustle and Flo but only because i never made it to see that one.

the only complaint i had was twice last night they cut people off in the middle of giving their speeches and that just bugs me.

hedgewick
03-06-2006, 11:53 AM
I agree about cutting off speeches. If they are short on time they should cut out some of the "extras". I was especially bothered when the folks from Crash were cut off. For god sake, they won best picture!

brendajos
03-06-2006, 12:49 PM
oooooh and there is an evil little corner of me that wished Jennifer Garner had fallen! :devil:

But to be fair...i woulda felt bad if she had! :angelgrin:

hedgewick
03-06-2006, 12:54 PM
I kinda liked that moment even though I was glad she didn't really fall. It show that these people are "real". They can fall just like the rest of us and still laugh about it.

brendajos
03-06-2006, 01:10 PM
i was watching GMA this morning when i should have been getting ready for work and they said that afterwards she said that she was closer to falling than it seemed.

hedgehog
03-06-2006, 01:27 PM
I'm not a huge Jennifer Garner fan (nor Ben, nor J-Lo, etc) but i thought she was so cute last night. She didn't make a big deal of it and laughed it off with a good quip about doing her own stunts. Also, i'd feel kinda bad if a new mother fell - i mean, first time back on the red carpet and she falls on stage? Eeek. She was cute.

I was torn between Brokeback Mountain and Crash for best picture. I was soooooo moved by both of them so i was glad to see them BOTH get accolades - best director AND best picture. I LOVED Brokeback and i'm so pleased that it is getting the recognition it deserves so i think i was kinda pulling for it a little more. HOWEVER, Crash was so gritty that it really causes you to self-reflect. Both were divine movies.

Of course i also loved the edgy and poingant Good Night and Good Luck. Fantastic movie - kudos to George Clooney!

I think the fact that the films that WERE nominated were edgy, gritty, thought-provoking, intricately layered and deep made the entire night a winner. I was pleased with all of the recogonition for each. 'Bout bloody time!! For the first time in a long time there wasn't one weak movie nominated. (ie: Sideways? give me a break!! B-O-R-I-N-G)

I thought John Stewart stumbled a bit in the beginning and his delivery was really pinched and slow. I don't know - it was a bit weird. But as the night wore on he got back into his normal John Stewart-y self and was wonderful. I hope he gets a repeat invitation. He'll be more relaxed next time.

I was glad Wallace and Gromit won. LOVE them! And I was thrilled that Brokeback AND Crash won for their repective writing nominations. The were BOTH deserving. Oh, and I was sooo glad Brokeback won for Original Score - against John Williams, twice! - it's such haunting music.

None of the wins were surprising to me except for Crash after Ang Lee had won. That was weird, but good.

My big disappointments? There were three:

1.) The dancers. ICK, Ick, ick. C'mon! We don't need interpretive dance, people! The days of Debbie Allen are GONE. Singers only please - let the song speak for itself.

2.) 3-6 Mafia. I have NO problem with them appearing OR winning. I thought that was great and was so happy they won. (Wasn't Latifa funny when she announced them? So cute!) And i LOVED their exuberence. I had only wished that they didn't make it seem so "Grammy-esque" (or worse, "MTV-award-ish") in their acceptance speech. It's the Oscars - drop the foul, inarticulate language, raised fists and holla's... But good on 'em for winning!!

3.) Blue jeans. Honestly. It's the Oscars - probably THE most formal occasion in this country outside of Innagural Balls and all the other Balls that occur in D.C. Would it have killed him to dress properly?

But not bad overall. I was pleased with the outcome of the night. I hope this ushers in a trend of strong movies and interesting genres.

-hh

brendajos
03-06-2006, 01:49 PM
3.) Blue jeans. Honestly. It's the Oscars - probably THE most formal occasion in this country outside of Innagural Balls and all the other Balls that occur in D.C. Would it have killed him to dress properly?

i was saying the same thing to my friend Phin when he came up on stage....i don't care if he's a cowboy...no jeans!...hmph! (though i must say that his writing partner didn't seem to be a terribly pleasant woman when he was speaking...she looked down right grumpy!)

i have to say that i was pleasantly surprised by Sideways last year. I went to it completely expecting to hate it and i really enjoyed it. But there is something wrong with a movie that i have no interest in seeing a second time. I bought the DVD and have not been able to sit and watch it again. strange.

Jan in CA
03-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Maybe it's just me then..but I thought John Stewart was basically a flop. A lot of times they'd pan to the audience and they weren't really laughing either or were giving the little "polite" laughs. :rollseyes:

VictoiseC
03-06-2006, 02:17 PM
1. I HATE George Clooney.

2. I am sick to my stomach that Heath Ledger was ignored.

3. I will never watch this sham again.

KellyK
03-06-2006, 03:56 PM
I am SO glad that Phillip Seymour Hoffman has finally had his day! I have not yet seen Capote, but he has been BRILLIANT in everything else.

I liked Sideways, too.

Everything is on my Netflix list, still to be seen. Including Wallace & Grommit.

hedgewick
03-06-2006, 04:12 PM
I am SO glad that Phillip Seymour Hoffman has finally had his day! I have not yet seen Capote, but he has been BRILLIANT in everything else.

I've been a fan since Scent of a Woman when he played the smart-*** rich friend. Glad he won.

wildforyarn
03-06-2006, 04:22 PM
I also was irritated with the two cut-offs on the speachs.

Jon Stewart got better as the night went on. I am not a big fan, but I had to admit that I did laugh as the night went on.

I was shocked that Crash won, but also loved it! It was a great movie, I was just thinking that Brokeback would win like many people. Was glad to see Crash win.

I also saw Transamerica and thought the movie was great and really wanted Felicity Huffman to win. I liked Walk the Line and Reese, but thought Felicity deserved it more.

LOVED March of the Penguins too and glad it won.

And finally, I agree. Jeans???? Really???? Come on, it is the Oscars for crying out loud, not the Golden Globes or another more relaxed show. The Oscars! Jeans are just not allowed! Are they? :??

hedgewick
03-06-2006, 04:55 PM
The thing about the jeans and the behavior of the music group that won is that the Oscars should be treated with more respect than that. It is about tradition and IMHO it diminishes the importance of the event. Everyone has come to expect that sort of thing at the MTV awards because it's a much less formal event. Notice that I didn't say less important because to those who attend it and win it is very important. It just isn't meant to be a formal. Fun is the key thing there.

brendajos
03-06-2006, 05:01 PM
The thing about the jeans and the behavior of the music group that won is that the Oscars should be treated with more respect than that. It is about tradition and IMHO it diminishes the importance of the event. Everyone has come to expect that sort of thing at the MTV awards because it's a much less formal event. Notice that I didn't say less important because to those who attend it and win it is very important. It just isn't meant to be a formal. Fun is the key thing there.

i would generally agree with you but i have to say that some of my favorite Oscar moments have been when it was just pure genuine emotion displayed (Cuba Gooding Jr.!) it is just a pure outburst from someone who never expected to win. I love that. I wouldn't watch if it was all that because that would get tedious and would diminish the enjoyment of it for me but to see it like when CGJ did it...FUN!

hedgewick
03-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Ok, you got me. I forgot about that and loved it too. CGJ was fun. My husband makes fun of me for watching the Oscars because he thinks it is snooty and pretentious. Maybe it is a little but it's still fun for me to watch and imagine you are a part of that world. Kind of like playing dress up like a princess when we were young.

knitncook
03-06-2006, 05:25 PM
We have an Oscars Party every year. We dress up in thrift store prom dresses or evening gowns, put on tiaras and fake diamonds. Inivite friends over. Roll out the "red carpet" (an ancient piece of cheap red fabric we use every year.) It's always a lot of fun. Unfortunately, this year I came down with the plague so we asked our friends not to come. :( I just didn't want them to get sick.

We love the Oscars (and the Tonys, and the SAG, and the Golden Globes). I love the acceptance speeches that are pure emotion - where the "winner" is so overwhelmed and so caught off guard that they just pour it all out from the heart. I'm not a big fan of George Clooney. Didn't like him in er, still don't like him. I think he is pompous. I think there were some better men overlooked.

I agree with the Reese/Felicity situation. I really thought that Felicity was going to stop Reese's award sweep she has going on this year. I had to catch my breath when Jennifer almost fell. Not that I'm a fan, but I just hate the embarassment of falling in front of millions of people when you are supposed to be graceful!

And speaking of Jennifers, is it just me or does Jennifer Lopez always look SO sad when she is not smiling. When she smiles she lights up the room, but when she doesn't smile she looks sad!

jsauer
03-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Ok, you got me. I forgot about that and loved it too. CGJ was fun. My husband makes fun of me for watching the Oscars because he thinks it is snooty and pretentious. Maybe it is a little but it's still fun for me to watch and imagine you are a part of that world. Kind of like playing dress up like a princess when we were young.

I've got to agree with your DH. Without the jeans, or the over the top excitement of some winners the Oscars would be BORING! As for the few laughs in the audience at Jon Stewart's witty repartee - well, he was cracking a few lines that probably hit just a bit too close to home for a lot of them. After all, the Oscars are about Hollywood telling the world how AB FAB it is. Too bad they couldn't laugh at themselves. JMO

knittingachiever
03-06-2006, 06:10 PM
The Oscars were a mixed bag for me this year. I loved Good Night, and Good Luck, and I think George Clooney had a very courageous filmmaking year and is a real force for ethics and accountability in cinema - I was so so pleased to see him honored. He is such a class act.

Same with PSH - I have been an enormous fan of his for years and he deserved to be honored way before this year. His transformation from his own big lug of a character actor to Truman Capote was certainly worthy of the award this year.

About Crash, though... it sounds like I was the only one who didn't like it. I thought it was a TERRIBLE movie, and the more I think about it, the worse I think it was. For one thing, it was SO derivative. Near the end, DH and I had a conversation in which we suggested it would be wrapped up in exactly the same manner as either Magnolia or Short Cuts (both far superior movies in the "intertwined stories" genre, whose endings I won't reveal for those who haven't seen them). For another thing, I think the way it dealt with its supposed theme of racism was infantile. Instead of exploring the subtle ways in which racism affects the ways people interact and treat one another, it made every single character a raving flagrant bigot who used the same tired stereotypes and ended up just looking cartoonish. It was like there were 15 of the exact same character. I have never seen a movie so totally devoid of subtlety, except possibly American Pie II. So, needless to say, I was disappointed with the Best Picture winner.

Wow, that was pretty ranty. :blush: Sorry 'bout that...

Calabaza
03-06-2006, 08:09 PM
HAha.... I thought it was funny when Hard enough life for a pimp, won for best song. It was soo cool to see them come out on stage and win and Oscar.....they didn't except it.

It was cool to see Memoirs of a Geshia win for some back tech stuff. That movie was stunning to watch.

I liked the Oscars this year!

jodstr2
03-06-2006, 10:01 PM
I liked Reese's speech and I'm glad Crash won Best Picture.

but to be honest, the only movie I saw out of all the "major categories" was Crash.

Andrea
03-07-2006, 04:06 AM
My favorite part was George Clooney's acceptance speech. He just cracks me up (but later in the show I felt he was snotty...like when that one lady thanked the academy for sitting her next to him at the luncheon and he made a stupid face like she was nuts).

I'm glad PSH won for Best Actor, haven't seen the movie, but I will when it's out on DVD.

Thought Charlize's dress was ridiculous

Wished Jennifer Garner would have fallen (but with no injury, that would be mean to wish for). I just DON'T like her!

I thought Jon Stewart was pretty good. It seemed like the audience was just bored, but he cracked me up a lot.

I like Reese a lot, but I thought her acceptance was starting to get too long and her tears almost seemed like she thought she needed to cry so she was trying to do it.

I'm glad Crash won, except I heard that Matt Dillon made a nasty comment about cops on the red carpet and THAT makes me angry :mad:

humblestumble
03-07-2006, 04:36 AM
:shock: I forgot they were on tonight! Even after going to the grocery store talking about seeing what's his face on the Red Carpet...

I really wanted to see Jon Stewart! D*mn this dreaded day. lol

yarnpiggy
03-07-2006, 10:27 AM
About Crash, though... it sounds like I was the only one who didn't like it. I thought it was a TERRIBLE movie, and the more I think about it, the worse I think it was. For one thing, it was SO derivative. Near the end, DH and I had a conversation in which we suggested it would be wrapped up in exactly the same manner as either Magnolia or Short Cuts (both far superior movies in the "intertwined stories" genre, whose endings I won't reveal for those who haven't seen them). For another thing, I think the way it dealt with its supposed theme of racism was infantile. Instead of exploring the subtle ways in which racism affects the ways people interact and treat one another, it made every single character a raving flagrant bigot who used the same tired stereotypes and ended up just looking cartoonish. It was like there were 15 of the exact same character. I have never seen a movie so totally devoid of subtlety, except possibly American Pie II. So, needless to say, I was disappointed with the Best Picture winner.

Wow, that was pretty ranty. :blush: Sorry 'bout that...

Just wanted to say that you're not the only one. I didn't really get what was so big about Crash. I really didn't. It made me feel so stupid that everyone is just raving about this movie when I just though it was horrendous--I felt like I just must not "get" it. I was sure there was something I must've missed, but I couldn't bring myself to watch it again!

feministmama
03-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Reese: thought her acceptance was starting to get too long and her tears almost seemed like she thought she needed to cry so she was trying to do it.

Me too! I don't like her though

Kirochka
03-07-2006, 08:58 PM
I've only seen March of the Penguins (DH and I being big penguin fans, we're happy it won) and Walk the Line of the nominated movies so far this year (we wait until the DVD, usually, for most movies, although we did see Penguins in the theater...), and I missed the first hour of the Oscars, so I can't say much except...

... George Clooney makes me go weak in the knees. And he did even before I knew his politics. Now I practically swoon at just the thought of him.

Oh, also I adore Jon Stewart, whether he's being funny or not (often not on Sunday, I thought).

End of inciteful commentary on the Oscars.

Except to say, yeah, what was Charlize wearing???