PDA

View Full Version : how to use charts

fullhouse451
03-06-2006, 01:51 PM
Does anyone have a good site on how to use/read a knitting chart? This is my first time using one. It is for a poncho. The blank squares in the chart, does that mean those are NOT stiches? Or do they usually represent something. My chart says a - for purl a l for knit and m for make 1 knit st. and read from right to left always. So on line number 1 it has 6 blank squares then l l l l m l l m. So would I just start knitting 4 sts, make one, knit 2 sts, make one?
Thanks if anyone can help.
kim

bjc1050
03-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Ther should be a key with the chart . The key explains what stitches are to be used in each square. I've only done one project from a chart and don't have it handy and it's been a couple of years since I worked that project. One thing I do remember is that each line is read from right to left. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will help you here.

fullhouse451
03-06-2006, 02:05 PM
The guage says to do 2 inches in basketweave stich but the chart has you steadily increasing. How would you do gage with a chart like that? should I even bother with a gauge for a poncho?

bjc1050
03-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Here's a site that may help http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/FEATcharts.html

Ingrid
03-06-2006, 05:03 PM
When you work from a chart, read the right side rows from right to left and the wrong side rows from left to right. If you were working in the round, all rows are read right to left.

All charts do have a key. One thing to remember though, that most of the time, empty squares are really stockinette stitch--knit on the right side and purl on the wrong side. After a while you get to know what your pattern is supposed to look like so it makes it a lot easier.

I like to keep track of charts by blocking out all the rows above the one I'm working on with post it notes. It really helps.

bjc1050
03-06-2006, 05:11 PM
I KNEW Ingrid would come to the rescue! She's such a LAMB! :D Actually, it's been more than 2 years since I used a chart.