PDA

View Full Version : FO - Scrunchable Scarf

sara_jayne
03-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Here are some pictures of the scrunchable scarf (http://www.knitlist.com/96gift/giftsscarf.htm) I made for my DH. He asked me to knit him a scarf on a day when it was 20 below zero (with the wind chill). And to think....at one point he said he'd never wear a scarf.

I used Jaeger Extra Fine Merino yarn (a grey/black mix) and I used two strands and casted on 38 stiches. I probably would cast on fewer next time. I have 2 balls of the yarn left so I may see if I can knit a hat with the scruchable pattern. I love this yarn and it knitted up wonderfully.

Please ignore the random dog hair in the middle of the second picture....I'm sure there are several hundred knitted into the scarf body!

Finished Scarf
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/sarajbc/Knitting%20Projects/ShaneScrunchableScarfFinished-cropp.jpg

Scarf Detail
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/sarajbc/Knitting%20Projects/ShaneScrunchableScarfDetail-small.jpg

What it Was Before Knitting!
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h97/sarajbc/Knitting%20Projects/ShaneScrunchableScarfStart-small.jpg

Edited only to change source location of the photos

KellyK
03-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Gotta love the scrunchable!! That yarn looks YUMMILICIOUS!

wildforyarn
03-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Great scarf! Love the yarn, it looks soo yummy!

Ingrid
03-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Looks great!! I love that pattern, too. I made a scrunchable hat for my niece and it came out nice, too.

butterflymama
03-06-2006, 05:25 PM
That looks so soft! :cheering:

Rennagayle
03-06-2006, 08:03 PM
That looks so nice. :shock: I have been wanting to knit a scarf for my dh, but wasn't sure what to use (pattern or yarn). Now that I've seen yours, I know what I'll knit him. I love both the pattern, and your choice of yarn. It is so elegant, and yet still masculine. You did a great job. I can't wait 'til my next trip to a yarn shop so I can buy some of that yarn. :happydance:

Of course, I'll have plenty of time to complete it, as it won't be scarf wearing weather in these parts for another 8 months or so. :rollseyes:

Jenelle
03-06-2006, 08:49 PM
I like it!!! Awesome color too! :thumbsup:

Amber
03-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Very nice!

Angelia
03-06-2006, 11:05 PM
Ooooh, that looks so cozy!! That is a delicious yarn! :inlove: :inlove:

sara_jayne
03-07-2006, 02:28 AM
Thanks everyone for your nice words. My DH actually went to the yarn store with me and I made him pick out his own yarn (he is SUPER SUPER picky). Lets just say he has expensive taste....we were back in there the other day and he saw the price and couldn't believe how much just the yarn for the scarf was! Oh well, boys need spoiling. I loved the simplicty of this pattern - and the sleveged (or what ever) edge is really sharp.

Thanks again!

Rennagayle
03-07-2006, 02:32 AM
we were back in there the other day and he saw the price and couldn't believe how much just the yarn for the scarf was!

Hmm...maybe I better choose a different yarn for my dh's scarf. :shock: I dunno. I guess he's worth it. I'll make it for next year's Christmas present. It really is beautiful. :thumbsup:

sara_jayne
03-07-2006, 11:28 AM
The way I look at it my DH won't ever want another scarf - and he is worth it. That yarn was cheap ($9.00 per 110 yards) compared to some of his hobbies! He actually said - "I thought knitting was a way to save money by making your own clothes".....silly silly man.

Angelia
03-07-2006, 12:07 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Silly indeed!

Rennagayle
03-07-2006, 12:47 PM
So, you ended up using about 4 skeins? :thinking: If so, that would be $36 (minus tax), which is not a bad price for a really nice gift for dh, which would last a really long time. :D

sara_jayne
03-07-2006, 12:50 PM
Actually I used 6 skeins. I used two strands at a time, so if you used one at a time you'd need only 3! It was just about 4.5 feet long and 38 stiches across - which was toooooo many! I did end up buying 2 more because I have a tendency to worry I'll never have enough, but I think I'm going to make him a matching hat with that.

The yarn is SOOO luxurious and was great to knit with. Normally I don't like double stranded knitting but this was easy (other than the twisting!!!). Plus, I bought it from my LYS, which is a local business (duh!) and I am a full believer in supporting those local businesses instead of the bigger chains.

Rennagayle
03-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the info, sara_jayne! I may make mine a little narrower, but I think I would also want it that thickness. It looks so warm and snuggly. However, I think I might like mine a little longer, as my dh is sort of tall.

I guess I'll buy plenty and keep my receipt to return any if necessary. I'm on the yarn shop's mailing list, so will wait until they have a percentage-off sale to purchase it. Sadly, I don't have a lys, so I have to drive a couple hours away to go to one, but boy, is it worth the drive. :happydance:

ecuzzacrea
03-07-2006, 01:41 PM
great scarf!

that yarn looks really luxurious!

feministmama
03-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Lookin goooood :thumbsup: I'm gonna have to make me a scrunchable scarf soon :thinking:

sara_jayne
03-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Renna - My DH is 6'5"!!! So he is kinda tall too! I left the length up to him. He ended up deciding he didn't want to wrap it around his neck very much (just drape it over his neck) so he didn't want it too long.

And thanks everyone for the nice comments!

Rennagayle
03-07-2006, 02:13 PM
Hmm...chances are, my dh would likely not wrap his either, so maybe that length would be good for him, after all.

Thanks again! ;)