PDA

View Full Version : the end of the universe is coming....

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-06-2006, 11:28 PM
... DH wants me to teach him to knit this weekend!!!!!

what do I do???? :shock:

Ingrid
03-06-2006, 11:30 PM
Hide the good stuff, give him the crapola, and teach him to knit! Live-in stash buster!!

Jenelle
03-06-2006, 11:33 PM
:shock: :shock:

I send you good luck! My dad wants me to teach him how :shock:

CateKnits
03-06-2006, 11:33 PM
DO IT!

CateKnits
03-06-2006, 11:34 PM
DO IT!

brendajos
03-06-2006, 11:56 PM
Hide the good stuff, give him the crapola, and teach him to knit! Live-in stash buster!!

i say do that and make sure you tell him how nice the yarn you are giving him is so he doesn't know! ummm...and hide the Denise's! :shock:

oooooooh and don't tell him how to find US! :rofling:

Julie
03-07-2006, 12:28 AM
Does this mean he'll be accompanying you to future IL get-togethers?? :D

quirky
03-07-2006, 12:50 AM
There is nothing sexier than a man who knits. Didnt I read on here about a weenie "cozy"? :blush: Maybe that could be his first project! :rofling:

humblestumble
03-07-2006, 01:27 AM
wow, good luck with that! I tried teaching my poor boyfriend to knit a while back...he got so frustrated!

Jan in CA
03-07-2006, 01:42 AM
Go for it, Hildie! You too, Jenelle!!!

Debbie
03-07-2006, 07:03 AM
Knit naked ... that way you won't be perceived as bossy when you tell him what to do :) and he won't notice that you didn't let him use the good yarn.

Lana
03-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Knit naked ... that way you won't be perceived as bossy when you tell him what to do :) and he won't notice that you didn't let him use the good yarn.
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Before we were married, DH asked if I'd teach him to knit.
(I was teaching his little sister at the time.)

He caught on quickly,and then I said I teach him to purl.
"No, no, no! I only wanted to see if I could learn how to knit.
I don't want to make anything."

Maybe you'll be this lucky. :thumbsup:

KellyK
03-07-2006, 08:56 AM
HILD!!! TEACH HIM! It will be HYSTERICAL! :roflhard:

He'll make beer cozies and tequila bottle cozies and bottle opener cozies and maybe a frying pan cozy.

DONT knit nekkid. From what you've told me, he'll never learn that way. ;)

Jax3303
03-07-2006, 09:08 AM
When Dh wanted to learn to knit, I took him to the LYS and told him to pick out yarn and a set of needles. I made sure he knew that my needles were MINE and my yarn is MINE and he needs to start his own collection of needles and yarn..LOL

Angelia
03-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Oh Hildie, I am so excited for you! :cheering: :cheering:

I think taking him to the LYS is a great idea--he can get his own yarn and needles, and he can feel that the knitting is really his.

I keep trying to get my dh to let me teach him how to knit. He says no, that it's my "thing." I'm still working on him, though. He's really creative, and I think he'd love it.

countingsheep
03-07-2006, 09:48 AM
:shock: Ok, you guys know that I love you all. I really do but... HAVE YOU ALL LOST YOUR MINDS?!?!?

If my DH knew more about knitting then he'd know more about what is required to knit. He'd find out how much my Addi's cost and might frown on the purchase of more. :shock: He'd find out how much all that lovely yarn costs and take issue with all those sad balls waiting to be used. :crying: He might even... :oo: want to come hang out here to "learn more"!

I'm sorry but... NO WAY! He can play with his lathe to his hearts content but he needs to stay out of the yarn! I swear, I do not want to log on one day and find my DH posting notes to you guys! :doh:

Good luck and keep us posted but I, personally, think that you are all insane!

Angela

feministmama
03-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Angela :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Angelia
03-07-2006, 09:54 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

My dh is much more likely to ignore the cost of things if he's involved in them and enjoys them. If it's foreign to him, then I have to explain how the costs work. In my case, life would be much easier, and my stash much larger, if he were to knit.

I know what you mean, though; in some cases, it's like giving secrets to the enemy! :rofling:

Ingrid
03-07-2006, 10:14 AM
I'm with you Angela. Knitting in MINE!! I encourage him to continue to think that he doesn't have the patience for it.

Angelia
03-07-2006, 10:15 AM

quirky
03-07-2006, 10:15 AM
I know what you mean, though; in some cases, it's like giving secrets to the enemy! :rofling:

KellyK
03-07-2006, 10:22 AM
I wouldnt mind if DH wanted to knit....he is AWESOME at sale stalking! :thumbsup:

cheesiesmom
03-07-2006, 10:27 AM
Years ago my DH asked me to teach him to knit after watching me work on a nordic sweater. I gave him some scrap yarn and a pair of needles and showed him the basics. His stitches were PERFECT!!! Perfect gauge and tension. I was really bummed because his knitting looked far and away better than mine. Fortunately for me, he just wanted to try it and wasn't interested in continuing. My mother always said that men were better at such things. But then she was an old-school pre-liberation woman. I didn't knit again for a long time after than. Very disheartening.

Gladys in Michigan where Spring is only 2 weeks away!! Yea!!

nicolethegeek
03-07-2006, 10:58 AM
My DH hasn't shown any interest in learning to knit... my three year old son *thinks* he can knit though! My DH grew up in a family of crocheters, so a hook is less foreign to him. In fact, when I was giving group crochet lessons {to the oldest 5 kids :D }, he grabbed a hook and was showing one of our sons how to do a chain.

As for the expenses involved in a hobby... my DHs only complaint is UFOs. If yarn is sitting there and hasn't told me yet what it wants to be, that's fine. But once it's started, he gets annoyed if I don't finish it in a timely manner. He has been with me shopping many times. He didn't even blink at the nearly $40 bill at Ram's when we went to get his sock yarn {3 hanks of wool and one set of good bamboo dpns}. He's the one that went and got my Denise's, and he knows how much money they will save me in the long run... if anything, he's kicking himself for not getting them for me when he first spotted them! He knows I have thousands of dollars invested in my various hobbies, but doesn't say a word. He's afraid that I'll bring up how much his golfing costs, his leatherwork supplies {untouched for 2 years}, his cross-stitch and latch hook {untouched for 3 years}. :thumbsup:

quirky
03-07-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm with you Angela. Knitting in MINE!! I encourage him to continue to think that he doesn't have the patience for it.

Omg you do have a way with words Ingrid! :roflhard:

amy
03-07-2006, 12:21 PM
LOL! Hildie, that's awesome, I hope you teach him!

I taught Sheldon to knit Continental, by using my left hand and his right hand to knit together. It was cool, at first I did much of the motion with my left hand, and after several stitches I finally just kept my hand still so Sheldon was doing all the maneuvering himself. It was fun to knit together so literally! :D He picked it right up, and when I showed him how to hold the yarn in his left hand, he knew just what to do! But he just wanted to see if he could do it, and hasn't touched the needles since.

It's funny, a part of me was excited, and a part of me was like: gosh, I hope he doesn't get so into it that he becomes a better knitter than me! :oo:
:lol:

sfavereau
03-07-2006, 05:00 PM
My DH has tried to learn to knit several times over his lifetime, but I guess he doesn't have the patience... LOL He can crochet, but knitting seems to just get him all tangled up. His mom and aunts all used to knit continental style (they are French) and I knit English style, so I tried teaching him continental and had him watch the Amy's videos, but it didn't work very well, so he does 3d graphic stuff that I can't do and I knit. :thumbsup:

Indygirl
03-07-2006, 09:07 PM
:shock: Ok, you guys know that I love you all. I really do but... HAVE YOU ALL LOST YOUR MINDS?!?!?

If my DH knew more about knitting then he'd know more about what is required to knit. He'd find out how much my Addi's cost and might frown on the purchase of more. :shock: He'd find out how much all that lovely yarn costs and take issue with all those sad balls waiting to be used. :crying: He might even... :oo: want to come hang out here to "learn more"!

I'm sorry but... NO WAY! He can play with his lathe to his hearts content but he needs to stay out of the yarn! I swear, I do not want to log on one day and find my DH posting notes to you guys! :doh:

Good luck and keep us posted but I, personally, think that you are all insane!

Angela
:roflhard: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-07-2006, 09:19 PM
well, he's all excited about it :-) I'm thinking a hat would be a good project, once he has the knit and purl down.

dustinac
03-07-2006, 11:04 PM
:If my DH knew more about knitting then he'd know more about what is required to knit. He'd find out how much my Addi's cost and might frown on the purchase of more. :shock: He'd find out how much all that lovely yarn costs and take issue with all those sad balls waiting to be used. :crying: He might even... :oo: want to come hang out here to "learn more"!Angela

:rofling: :roflhard: I agree plus if he continued to want to knit it would cut into my own yarn budget...good thing I don't have to worry about that...

I did show my brother back this fall.. My SiL came up with my mom and attended the knit fling with us.. She learned to knit that weekend so when she went home she told Ray how hard it was... he was like oh its not that hard.. so he looked at me and said got extra yarn? needles? I went and got some.. he said will you show me? I said sure.. but I don't knit like she does I use my left hand.. My mom stepped in and said you better learn to throw I think its easier well that made my brother really want to learn "sissy's way" so I showed him.. in one evening he was knitting and purling the cont. method.. no extra sts or yo... she had been knitting for about a week at this time still getting yos and extra sts so she was not happy at all... a few days letter after I was back up here mom called and said the sil was hot.. cause she couldnt remeber how to CO and my brother had to co for her :rofling: he hasn't knitted since and prolly won't ...to him it was I'll show ya I can type of thing...

kemp
03-08-2006, 02:59 PM
OMG...so exciting! The most important question though is are you going to share your stash? :shock:

DotMom61
03-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Does this mean he'll be accompanying you to future IL get-togethers?? :D

Oh, good lord. :doh: Tell him our motto is: "No Shirt, No Shoes? No yarn" and absolutely None of this:

http://static.flickr.com/50/109749739_875d3ed3d5_o.jpg

Angelia
03-09-2006, 10:13 AM
:shock: :shock:

What...what is that?! It reminds me of those crochet/beer can hats from the 70s!!

nicolethegeek
03-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Oh geez! :roflhard: If that is from a commercial site, you should submit that to You Knit What? (http://youknitwhat.blogspot.com). I'm certain the girls there would have a heyday with that one!

Editted to fix link.

DotMom61
03-09-2006, 11:15 AM
I Googled on "knit beercan hat" and that was something like the first link in the list. Hideous, isn't it?! :rofling:

Here's the link: http://www.redlipstick.net/2002show/contest11.htm

Jeremy
03-09-2006, 12:12 PM
I actually learned to knit last summer when I was taking my wife and our friend around to yarn shops. To avoid being bored, I decided to learn too.
My wife and friend now seldom knit but I knit every day.

Angelia
03-09-2006, 01:30 PM
I Googled on "knit beercan hat" and that was something like the first link in the list. Hideous, isn't it?! :rofling:

Here's the link: http://www.redlipstick.net/2002show/contest11.htm

Hey, I WORE a beercan hat in the 70s--it was made with Coors cans. But I was like 8 or 9, so please be nice! :rofling:

DotMom61
03-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Hey, I WORE a beercan hat in the 70s--it was made with Coors cans. But I was like 8 or 9, so please be nice! :rofling:

I think the important thing, Ang, is that you're not wearing one NOW! :roflhard:

Angelia
03-09-2006, 04:37 PM

Or making one!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-09-2006, 06:39 PM
MAN!!! DH would LOVE to knit a beer can hat!

Angelia
03-09-2006, 06:41 PM

I think you have to use crochet for those, but I'm not sure ;) But if he's game, well, let him at it!

DotMom61
03-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Oh, no, Ang. That hat's KNIT! I'm sure if you contacted the "artist" who designed it, Hild, she'd love to share her pattern ... for a price. Did you see the sale price on the contest hat? :roflhard:

Angelia
03-10-2006, 04:56 PM
I was so horrified by the hat that I missed the equally horrifying price! $1250? What the? :shock:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-10-2006, 05:12 PM
OMG!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

DotMom61
03-10-2006, 11:16 PM
I'm pretty sure the price is intended to be "tongue-in-cheek." One of the other entries was even more than that. It was really hard, in some instances, to tell whether the hat artist/designer was really serious about their entry. I, personally, was afraid to ask or show any interest. You know, if you don't make eye contact, it's easier to avoid them. :shock:

KellyK
03-11-2006, 07:50 AM
Ya know....I think it would be fairly easy to convert a crochet beercan hat pattern to knit....just punch holes through the cans and pick up sts through those holes....and......

:oops:

(Was ANYONE being serious?)

:roflhard:

Angelia
03-11-2006, 09:43 AM

Ingrid
03-11-2006, 10:37 AM

brendajos
03-11-2006, 10:43 AM
Ya know....I think it would be fairly easy to convert a crochet beercan hat pattern to knit....just punch holes through the cans and pick up sts through those holes....and......

:oops:

(Was ANYONE being serious?)

ya know it is one way to get guys knitting though....one guy makes one...proudly tells all his friends that he made it, they all want one, he shows them how to make one, next thing ya know....you have an all male stitch n bitch session going on out in the garage! :rofling:

Angelia
03-11-2006, 10:54 AM
I can see them all drinking beer just to have the cans to put in their hats, competing over who has the most unusual beer cans for his hat, who has the most "manly" cans...then they'd get creative, seeing who can knit with the most unusual "yarn," using electrical cords, fishing line, raiding the weed-eater for its twine...the possibilities are endless! :shock:

Ingrid
03-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Keeps them out of the house, too! :happydance:

Angelia
03-11-2006, 11:00 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

countingsheep
03-11-2006, 12:36 PM
:verysad: This is the voice of doom, again. Please note that you have all been warned about how dangerous this is going to get!

I can see them all drinking beer just to have the cans to put in their hats, competing over who has the most unusual beer cans for his hat, who has the most "manly" cans...then they'd get creative, seeing who can knit with the most unusual "yarn," using electrical cords, fishing line, raiding the weed-eater for its twine...the possibilities are endless!

Yes, Ang, endless and frightening! They will start to take things apart soon. You will have dead appliances because DH wanted the copper wire in the cord to knit with on his last project. You will have dismembered weedeaters in the shed and your yard will be crying out for a goat! THEN they are going to decide that they can make their own knitting needles and it will be so much more affordable. :shock: This is simply a ploy to purchase more tools that are expensive, take up tons of space and rarely get used!

:crying: Oh, my poor, poor friends.

Angela, the voice of doom!

Ingrid
03-11-2006, 01:21 PM
You're so right! They'll need the finest hardwoods and the most sophisticated lathe! No pencil sharpeners for them, nosiree! A drill press for making a needle measure thingy and all the bits needed to drill the proper sized holes. And the storage for all this boggles the mind!

feministmama
03-11-2006, 01:52 PM
I actually learned to knit last summer when I was taking my wife and our friend around to yarn shops. To avoid being bored, I decided to learn too.
My wife and friend now seldom knit but I knit every day.

Ain't it lawys the way :rollseyes:

DotMom61
03-13-2006, 12:38 PM
You will have dismembered weedeaters in the shed and your yard will be crying out for a goat!

Oooooo ... a goooaat!

Anggoooooorra .....

.... Cashmere! :happydance:

Ingrid
03-13-2006, 12:42 PM
You will have dismembered weedeaters in the shed and your yard will be crying out for a goat!

Oooooo ... a goooaat!

Anggoooooorra .....

.... Cashmere! :happydance:

Ever the optimist! :rofling:

mintdee
03-13-2006, 06:40 PM
Man I can just see all of the beer, remote, lawnmower cozies laying around the house :shock:

Ack depending on how bad his addiction got I would have to add more to my daily chore list cause nothing would get done! :shock: (wait... never mind all that would be different is he wouldn't play his computer game anymore, *sigh* :doh: )

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-13-2006, 07:33 PM
well, the FIRST attempt was a disaster. He didn't like the size 8s or the black yarn.

the SECOND attempt was much better! I gave him size 35s and lion thick and quick super bulky yarn. As soon as batteries charge I'll show you the 4 rows he got done (with NO drops, NO mistakes!) before he got bored! :cheering:

Lana
03-13-2006, 07:57 PM
(with NO drops, NO mistakes!) before he got bored! :cheering:

You pretty use to short attention spans, aren't you? :rollseyes:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-13-2006, 08:06 PM
actually, yes, it comes from

I'm sorry what was I saying?

Lana
03-13-2006, 08:09 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Ya know, kids can't sing nearly as loud as they can blow brass instruments, when their attention runs out.

Angelia
03-14-2006, 09:45 AM

Can't wait to see what he's knit, Hildie!

KellyK
03-14-2006, 10:30 AM
next thing ya know....you have an all male stitch n bitch session going on out in the garage! :rofling:

Dontcha mean a Stitch N BELCH?? :roflhard:

YAYYYYYYYY DEANO!!!!! :cheering: