PDA

View Full Version : Starsky!!!

Pages : [1] 2

catownedanna
03-07-2006, 02:59 AM
Hello everyone,

there seems to be a bunch of us interested in knitting the Starsky cardigan (http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTstarsky.html) from knitty.com's winter 2005 issue.

Will you be one of us? :D

Jax3303
03-07-2006, 08:50 AM
I ordered my yarn for starsky yesterday morning! I couldn't decide on a color so posted here and on other knitting boards asking for color picking help, but i got equal votes for mist and cinnamon. So, I asked my best friend which color i should use. She's useless (j/k, i love her) she said both. So finally I just did an eenie-meenie-miney-mo thing and Mist won..LOL I want it to hurry up and get here so I can cast on.

sfavereau
03-10-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm in!!! My knitpicks order arrived yesterday, but it's still at my apt's office. I'll go pick it up today! Wooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ! I'm so excited. This is my first knit along!

ecuzzacrea
03-10-2006, 02:50 PM
which yarn are you ladies using???

sfavereau
03-10-2006, 02:55 PM
which yarn are you ladies using???

I'm using Knitpicks Sierra in Cranberry. I loved the way natural looked, but I think I'd wear a colorful sweater more.

Jax3303
03-10-2006, 05:00 PM
My yarn arrived yesterday. I'm using Knitpicks Sierra. I should be able to cast on this evening.

ecuzzacrea
03-10-2006, 08:05 PM
hmmmm...maybe i'll give this a shot.

how many skeins did you order?

i'm making a purse out of Sierra now and i like it.

sfavereau
03-10-2006, 08:15 PM
I ordered 12 skeins because I wanted to be safe. I really love the yarn!!! I can't wait to get started, but I already have 2 things on the needles! I'll finish one of them tonight or tomorrow, I hope.

sfavereau
03-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Ok, I have one project off the needles and in the washing machine for felting... Any one else casting on? I'm debating on whether or not to cast on this afternoon or work on my other project (a very time consuming scarf/wrap). What do you guys think?

Jazzmatazz
03-11-2006, 07:09 PM
I keep looking at Starsky. The pattern says extra spicy, but it doesn't look that difficult, just time-consuming. What do you think? I make cables and socks and have made a couple of pullovers. I've never done a cardigan. I really really like this pattern. :heart:

sfavereau
03-11-2006, 07:11 PM
I say give it a go! The more the merrier. I heard it was extra spicy because of the seaming and assembling...

Jax3303
03-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Starsky is going along a lot quicker than I thought it would. I was finally able to cast on yesterday (saturday) morning, and now it's Sunday afternoon and I am ready to start row 3 of my second chart repeat for the back. You can click on the link to my blog in my sig to see a progress pic.

sfavereau
03-12-2006, 07:57 PM
K guys, I'm casting on now! :XX: :XX: :XX:

I worked on my scarf/wrap for a good while today and I'm pleased with the progress, so my reward is starting Starsky before being done with the other project.

catownedanna
03-13-2006, 03:47 AM
Nice to see some of you have casted on!!!

I'm having issues with what yarn I'm supposed to use. I thought I'd find something at my LYS and last week I bought a skein of 100% wool. I wanted to see if I could work the pattern out as I've never done cables or twists before. I'm glad I just bought one skein as I don't like the yarn at all. It's scratchy!!! I've washed my two swatches (one plain and one with Banana Trees on it) but they still feel very scratchy... :(

I have asked the owner of the LYS to look for some wool mixed with alpaca that knits up to 4st/inch and I'll check in on her this week.

I'm thinking about the KnitPicks Sierra as it seems to be soft and nice. First problem is to get it to Sweden without ruining myself on taxes and postage. And also, it's said to be non-washable and I do like my sweaters to be washable. Especially since I'm planning on going with the Natural colour. Hmmm... :thinking:

catownedanna
03-13-2006, 03:49 AM
I'm so excited. This is my first knit along!

Mine too!!! And I'm soo frustrated that I don't have the yarn so I can cast on... I want ot dive right into it! :XX:

Andrea
03-13-2006, 07:19 AM
Starsky is going along a lot quicker than I thought it would. I was finally able to cast on yesterday (saturday) morning, and now it's Sunday afternoon and I am ready to start row 3 of my second chart repeat for the back. You can click on the link to my blog in my sig to see a progress pic.

Looks great so far! And looks like I have a new knitting blog to read! Your pictures are beautiful! When I have time, I'm going to read more of your blog!

AmandaC
03-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Yay , I've just bought the wool for this .. :happydance:

I am going to knit this in Rowan Polar - colour Stony. Fortunately (or maybe not) this is a discontinued range so I have managed to get it at half price - 3.25/$5.60 compared to 6.50/$11.25 per ball so this is going to cost me 36/$62 (including postage).

I did think about ordering the Sierra from KnitPicks and get someone to receive it and then post it to me but I worked out it would be about $90.00

Anyway - this should arrive tomorrow :cheering:

sfavereau
03-13-2006, 02:47 PM
I casted on last night after a nightmarish time of getting the skein of sierra tangled up. oh my goodness! It took me over an hour to get one skein into a ball. I hope the next skein works out better!

I've gotten the ribbing and only 8 rows of the pattern done so far. Maybe it'll get easier, but I'm having to look at the pattern for every stitch! Usually after awhile, the cable pattern becomes obvious to me and I don't need to constantly look at the pattern. I'm hoping that will happen soon, since I either watch tv or listen to audio books while knitting. :D

It's looking really good so far though! I really love the way this yarn knits up too.

KNITBIT
03-13-2006, 04:44 PM
I was just cking out knitpicks out of curiousity about the yarn used for Starsky and noticed they had a correction on how many sts to the " it knits up. Just thought I'd let you all know just in case you weren't aware.

Here's a link:
http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/itemid_5420129/yarn_display.aspx

I haven't knitted any sweaters/cardigans yet. But when I do decide to I'm gonna have to remember this one. I likey! :thumbsup:

KNITBIT :XX:

ecuzzacrea
03-13-2006, 06:01 PM
i'm still thinking about it.

it looks way too hard for me, but i might be up for the challenge. :thinking:

Andrea
03-13-2006, 10:12 PM
i'm still thinking about it.

it looks way too hard for me, but i might be up for the challenge. :thinking:

That's how I feel too. I have KP Sierra on wish list just in case I take the plunge! :D

sfavereau
03-13-2006, 10:29 PM
It's not really that hard, if you've done cables before. I'm having a blast with it! I have two cable projects going on right now and Starsky is the more challenging of the two, but it's still really fun!

catownedanna
03-14-2006, 05:08 AM
Hmmm... My LYS hadn't been successful in finding me a good yarn substitute. So, I'm leaning towards Sierra from KP. Sent an emial off to relatives in the States to ask if they would mind being the "middle men" in shipping.

I'm having issues with the colour choice, though... I'd love to have a cardigan knit in Natural but as the yarn isn't washable, I'm not sure. How hard is it getting stains off when hand washing? ('Cause I assume I can at least do that with the Sierra...)

Does anybody know what the Mist and the Cinnamon looks like IRL? I think I read somewhere that someone was surprised by their Mist, that it was more blueish than greyish. Is that right?

And what about the pattern being more visible in a light colour?

I did think about ordering the Sierra from KnitPicks and get someone to receive it and then post it to me but I worked out it would be about $90.00

I'm trying to do that maths but I'm not ending up with that much. Am I missing something? I'm thinking 12 skeins @ $4,49 = $55 and then postage. My experience (from Canada and not the US) is that postage usually isn't that bad for private persons... Are you calculating for taxes too? I'm hoping that I won't have to pay them if I get my relatives to make sure the package looks like a gift and not a purchase.

catownedanna
03-14-2006, 05:11 AM
Just a tip for the cables and the twists:

When tryin gout the Banana Tree pattern, I colour coded the different abbreviations and after doing that I didn't make a single mistake on a pattern repeat as oppossed to the several mistakes I did when just trying to read the explanations to the abbreviations. I ended up reading on the wrong rows...

So, get your colour markers out and I'm sure that will make it easier! :D

AmandaC
03-14-2006, 08:03 AM

I'm trying to do that maths but I'm not ending up with that much. Am I missing something? I'm thinking 12 skeins @ $4,49 = $55 and then postage. My experience (from Canada and not the US) is that postage usually isn't that bad for private persons... Are you calculating for taxes too? I'm hoping that I won't have to pay them if I get my relatives to make sure the package looks like a gift and not a purchase.

I worked it out at 10 skiens @ 4.49 plus tax and postage would be $62 ish (according to the KnitPicks website - i pretended to make an order) and then the postage to the UK would be another $26 ish. (i calculated from the USPS website for international shipping) :shock: :thinking: maybe I will check it again....

sfavereau
03-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Just a tip for the cables and the twists:

When tryin gout the Banana Tree pattern, I colour coded the different abbreviations and after doing that I didn't make a single mistake on a pattern repeat as oppossed to the several mistakes I did when just trying to read the explanations to the abbreviations. I ended up reading on the wrong rows...

So, get your colour markers out and I'm sure that will make it easier! :D

That's a great idea! What helps me with 1/1 stitches (1 knit, 1 purl) is to always remember that when working the RS, the stitch that will be "forward" is always knit and the other is purl. Does that make sense?

Friskums
03-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Wow, that's pretty. ^_^

It's funny that I looked at this since just last night I told my bf I wanted to make a jacket-thingy -just- like this. So, I'm glad I saw it.

Only...I've never done cables before, and I just don'tt hink I have the experience for it yet.
Anyone know of a similar pattern without all the fancy work on it? I :heart: the look/cut/style of it, and it's the perfect length.. I just wanted one a little plainer. (How boring am I? :rollseyes: )

Anyway, any tips would be appreciated. ^_^

Thanks.

AmandaC
03-14-2006, 02:32 PM
can you not just follow the pattern and do stst for 21 stitches instead of the cable pattern?

Friskums
03-14-2006, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I could. I thought that cables pulled the stitches differently though so I didn't know if I would need all the stitches originally or not.

sfavereau
03-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I could. I thought that cables pulled the stitches differently though so I didn't know if I would need all the stitches originally or not.
From the way mine looks so far, I'd say that the cables, knit and purl stitches do pull the knitting in. Not as much as ribbing, but it does make a difference, but I don't know if it's enough to warrant a pattern change.

sfavereau
03-14-2006, 09:21 PM
Here's my progress so far on Starsky. I'm really pleased with the way it looks so far! The picture is bad... My flash kept washing out the knitting so you couldn't even see the pattern. I'll take a picture in better natural light tomorrow.

catownedanna
03-15-2006, 02:51 AM
That's a great idea! What helps me with 1/1 stitches (1 knit, 1 purl) is to always remember that when working the RS, the stitch that will be "forward" is always knit and the other is purl. Does that make sense?

When trying out the pattern I was looking for some kind of "mantra" like that but got confused and couldn't find it. I'll keep this in mind 'til I get back to knitting the actual Starsky.

And I love the way your Starsky look in the picture! I can totally see the pattern. You're doing such a good job on it! :D

catownedanna
03-15-2006, 02:58 AM
Only...I've never done cables before, and I just don'tt hink I have the experience for it yet.
Anyone know of a similar pattern without all the fancy work on it? I :heart: the look/cut/style of it, and it's the perfect length.. I just wanted one a little plainer. (How boring am I? :rollseyes: )

I suggest you try the Banana Tree pattern for a bit. I haven't done any cables or twists before and wanted to see if I was up to the challenge of doing Starsky. I casted on so I could make two pattern repeats on every row and then I tried it out. The first two leaf-sections (heightwise) came out with a couple of mistakes, twists turned the wrong way, and looked funny.

Then I colour coded the abbreviations and made another 12 rows (or so) without a single mistake. And I realized the pattern isn't that difficult! It took some time as I had to double check and put stitches on a DPN and so on, but it wasn't difficult!

So I say; try the pattern out before deciding that you can't do it! :thumbsup:

AmandaC
03-15-2006, 04:53 AM
Stephanie, that looks great ... I can't wait to start mine now!

I picked my wool up from the post office this morning so potentially I could start this tonight :thinking: but I do have my booga to finish, a jumper for my son that I've only just started too. Plus my Hourglass sweater that I'm meant to do too :??

:thinking: Yep! I think I will start this off tonight .... :cheering:

catownedanna
03-15-2006, 05:19 AM
I got so frustrated not finding a good yarn substitute so I ended up ordering Sierra from KnitPicks. I'm having it shipped to relatives and then they will forward it to me. I hope to have the package in a couple of weeks (paid extra for fast shipping in the US and hope for fast air transport to Sweden) as I'm sooo itching to get started. :XX:

This will probably end up being ridiculously expensive considering all the shipping, but I just grew so impatient... And I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of the cardigan.

I ordered 13 skeins of Natural. When taking measurements I ended up with the second smallest size for bust and hips. I'll lengthen it though, as I want it to really get down over my hips. The sleeves need some lengthening too. So 11 skeins turned into 13 in my head when I considered the lengthening. Probably could do with 12 but I would just hate to be one skein short in the end... :doh:

Yep! I think I will start this off tonight ....

That made me laugh! :D

Friskums
03-15-2006, 11:25 AM

I suggest you try the Banana Tree pattern for a bit. I haven't done any cables or twists before and wanted to see if I was up to the challenge of doing Starsky. I casted on so I could make two pattern repeats on every row and then I tried it out. The first two leaf-sections (heightwise) came out with a couple of mistakes, twists turned the wrong way, and looked funny.

Then I colour coded the abbreviations and made another 12 rows (or so) without a single mistake. And I realized the pattern isn't that difficult! It took some time as I had to double check and put stitches on a DPN and so on, but it wasn't difficult!

So I say; try the pattern out before deciding that you can't do it! :thumbsup:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of doing. I'll probably try today.
I think I'll just have to copy the pattern by hand though cuz I don't have a printer here at work. Oh well, wouldn't be the first time. ^_^

If I can manage it, this will be my first KAL. :happydance:

Friskums
03-15-2006, 03:24 PM
So, I decided to give the banana tree pattern a shot to see if this was something I could manage.

..I'm not sure. I must be doing something wrong. I cast on 21 stitches, did a few rows in k2p2 rib, knit a row, purl a row (just to give it a base to start on) and started on the pattern. I only got to like stitch 17 before I ran out of stitches. I thought that was rather strange, but thought I may had done something wrong.
So I Frogged my little example, cast on 32 stitches, did the same base (rib, knit, purl) got the first of the pattern done, and I had 5 stitches left over. Which, again, isn't right. I turned it anyway and worked the pattern back across (after those 5 stitches), got to the end of the pattern and had more stitches left over.

I'm really confused. :??

For the 2-st RC, I slip the stitch onto a cable needle(held in back), knit the next stitch, then knit the stitch off the cable needle, right?

For the key, it uses the 2 blocks for the 2-st RC. Now, do I do that for each stitch that corresponds to each block, or, does both of the blocks mean 1 stitch. :?? :thinking:

Hope that makes some sense. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

sfavereau
03-15-2006, 03:31 PM
I can't make any sense of any chart, so I don't use it. I just use the text and everything worked out fine for me.

Yes, for the 2-st rc, you slip one stitch to the cable needle, hold it in back, knit the next stitch and then knit the stitch from the cable needle.

It sounds like you are knitting 2 together somewhere or something like that. Can you do the first row and count the stitches every so often to make sure you still have the right number? Maybe then you can isolate where the problem is.

I never had problems with the number of stitches, but I did have problems remember when to knit and when to purl with the 1/1 stitches, but I've gotten it worked out. I've even had to fix a few without frogging, but now I'm good.

Friskums
03-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Yes, for the 2-st rc, you slip one stitch to the cable needle, hold it in back, knit the next stitch and then knit the stitch from the cable needle.

Ok. I think I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was reading each block in the chart seperately, so I was actually 2-st rc'ing twice. :doh:
I think I've got it now. :oops:

sfavereau
03-15-2006, 04:08 PM
:thumbsup:

Awesome! Now, you'll see the beauty of the pattern!

Friskums
03-15-2006, 04:14 PM
I probably would, except the yarn I'm using is cheap acrylic and bright bright rainbow. :lol:

But, that's ok. As long as I can manage the pattern. ^_^

Damn, now I have to order more yarn to wait for. I'm waiting for the stuff I got last week so I can start my stepmom's b-day set. And then my dad's. Ugh, I hate waiting for yarn orders. -_-

catownedanna
03-16-2006, 06:29 AM
Ok. I think I figured out what I was doing wrong.

I'm glad to hear that! Just keep on working on it and I'm sure you'll get into it.

While waiting for the yarn to appear at my door I think I'll cast on for a baby blanket or something and do the Banana Tree pattern on it. Just to practise some more, but in a useful way.

Good luck! We'd love to see you in our KAL! :thumbsup:

sfavereau
03-17-2006, 05:19 PM
Hi guys!

I just wanted to hop on here and let you know that once you get started on this pattern, it becomes sooooooooo addictive! I've gotten the back done and I just started the left front.

Be careful once you get to the armhole shaping on the back though. It gets kinda dicey, since you have to decrease into the pattern, but still work in pattern. Well, this was for the large size, anyway, I can't speak for the other sizes, but I imagine the same is true.

I can see that the sweater will need some blocking to really bring out the banana tree pattern, but it's really neat pattern.

Hope you guys are having fun with it!

Friskums
03-17-2006, 06:56 PM
I'll be starting soon. Gotta finish a scarf and hat for my step mom first though. And there's a few other little ones I'm supposed to be doing, but I really really wanna start this one.

Now that I know the yarn I want to use, I'm going to have a hard time not buying it. I'll give my little projects another week I think. Then, it's me time, baby. :happydance: :lol:

MMK
03-19-2006, 09:22 AM
I've started the back. I love the yarn, Sierra in Cinnamon, and it has a really pretty finish to it. Here in Louisiana, this sweater will probably serve as a coat most of the winter. Hopefully it's going to be finished by next winter!

sfavereau
03-19-2006, 02:36 PM
I've started the back. I love the yarn, Sierra in Cinnamon, and it has a really pretty finish to it. Here in Louisiana, this sweater will probably serve as a coat most of the winter. Hopefully it's going to be finished by next winter!

Welcome MMK! Glad to have you here! Sierra is fun to work with, isn't it? Here in Colorado Springs, I hope to wear the sweater this Spring, but of course we will be under a severe weather alert today and tomorrow. LOL Right at the beginning of Spring! We might get 12" of snow in the next 24 hours. The most I've seen since moving here in December is 6-8".

sfavereau
03-19-2006, 09:53 PM
Ok, guys, here's my weekly progress report....

I've gotten the back and left front done and blocking. Here are the pics. I'm really enjoying this sweater, even if the armhole and neckline shaping drives me crazy sometimes! I've totally had to scribble things all over the pattern and I've found that it's actually much easier if you can sit down and do the whole "shaping" in one shot. I got to do that today with the left front and I had a much easier time than I did with the back.

I took the second picture to show how the banana leaf pattern looks. The stitches on mine aren't too even because of cabling on the front and back, since my knit and purl stitches' tension differs, but I'm still happy!

Ingrid
03-19-2006, 09:58 PM
Not even!? That looks gorgeous!! :cheering:

sfavereau
03-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Not even!? That looks gorgeous!! :cheering:

Thanks Ingrid! In person, up close, you can see the tension is different on certain twisted stitches. I guess we are our own worst critic, huh?

I got a lot done today, since the weather here has been a little icky. Nothing like knitting when it's cold, rainy and now snowy. :D

Ingrid
03-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Up close we can always spot the glitches. Nobody else can, though. ;)

Friskums
03-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Wow, that's coming along great!

I'm trying to decide what color to do mine in. I sure like the look of the color they used in the pics on the site, it looks really vintage to me for some reason. But...I'm not a light color person. I'm much much too dirty.
I also want a color that I can wear with everything since that's what I'm planning to do with it.
The duster I currently wear to work, that I'm planning on replacing with Starsky, is a nice mid-grey color. But, I don't know if I want it in grey.
I love black, which goes with everything, but I dunno how the banana leaf pattern would show up.

Once I figure out which color I want, I'm gonna order me some yarn.
And I decided to go with Encore Chunky yarn instead of the suggested one. Working with it to make this scarf just makes me -really- wanna make something for myself in it. :drooling:

Here's (http://plymouthyarn.com/index.php?nav=cYarn.yarnDetail&collection_id=000005) the Encore colors (gotta click on the color card link for chunky). I was thinking of using #403.

What do you guys think, colorwise? Any suggestions?[/url]

sfavereau
03-19-2006, 10:41 PM
I like either #403 or #240 if you want something in grey tones. :thumbsup:

I don't know how the banana tree pattern would show up on black, but I think this sweater would look really good in black! I chose a bright color because that's what I currently like wearing. I wore neutrals for so long that now I love color. I loved the natural color that the pattern suggests, but like you said, FK, I'm much too dirty for it. I can see the cuffs being brown in less than a day... LOL I play with my dog way too much to stay clean for more than a few minutes.

Friskums
03-19-2006, 10:58 PM
I liked #240 too.
I wish I could find a swatch of the #403 so I could see what the color differences would be. I did a search online, but was unable to find anything.

Gee, maybe I'll just buy a ball and do a test swatch myself. Sure couldn't hurt to have more Encore. :lol:

Thanks for the input. ^_^

AmandaC
03-20-2006, 05:19 AM
I've completed one 'chunk' of the pattern - so 12 rows after the ribbing....

It looks ok - apart from the fact that I think on a couple of stitches I held forward instead of back - But hey ho - it's home made!!!

I have had to tink in a couple of places where I 'knit' 1 stitch less than I was meant to but it was ok in the end.

Also, to my complete surprise, I am finding reading off the chart easier than reading the text ... now I did colour code the stitches (as Catownedanna suggested) so I still don't get what the different lines mean although I have worked out that a slanting line from top left to bottom right means hold front and bottom left to top right means hold back :?? I think that is right :thinking: but I still haven't a clue how to distinguish the knit and purl within the cable sequence - so I have to check the instruction for that particular colour/stitch sequence.

Anyway, I am off to Prague for work this week, but I don't think I will take this with me as it takes too much concentration, so I will do some more on this tonight and tomorrow night and then that will be it til Sat night :(

YAY Starsky!!!

I'm doing mine in a beige colour and it is sooooo soft!

catownedanna
03-20-2006, 11:48 AM
I've completed one 'chunk' of the pattern - so 12 rows after the ribbing....

Wat to go!!! :cheering: I'm practicing the pattern on a baby blanket while waiting for my Sierra to arrive. Hoping for next week... I haven't tried looking at tha chart as it only confuses me. I go with the text lines and my colour coded explanations. Maybe the chart will make more sense when I've done a couple of "chunks" of the pattern so I can see it sort of next to the chart... :??

Thanks for the input. ^_^

I like 'em both. If you can't decide on your own; flip a coin! :D

Ok, guys, here's my weekly progress report....

It looks gorgeous!!! :heart: I can't believe your progress. I'm sooo envious as I want to get started on my own... Waiting for my yarn to arrive. :zzz:

So, the shaping of the armholes was difficult? Any specifics I should keep in mind when getting there?

So, I'm guessing the Sierra is worth waiting for then? :D I have ordered the Natural one. Was thinking about the Cinnamon as well but let my boyfriend make the final decision and he chose Natural.

I'm hoping my cardigan will be good for summer nights and for fall. With the weather I have here in the south of Sweden I might be "unlucky" enough to be able to wear Starsky all year around... I guess I shouldn't hope for a 25-30 Degree-summer this year! ;)

sfavereau
03-20-2006, 12:49 PM
So, the shaping of the armholes was difficult? Any specifics I should keep in mind when getting there?

Well, the problem is that you'll be decreasing right into the pattern so you have to figure out what stitch you need to start the pattern with. I found it a bit difficult to figure out sometimes. The worst was when you'd have to start the pattern with the second half of a cable, but I worked through it. :happydance:

AmandaC
03-20-2006, 05:02 PM
Ok - here's what I've done so far:

Jax3303
03-20-2006, 05:33 PM
As of this morning, here's what I have done. I am working the armhole shaping of the back panel. I've got 21 inches done.

Friskums
03-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Jax, is that just plain black? (You never know with computer monitors)

Jax3303
03-20-2006, 05:48 PM
it's grey. Knitpicks Sierra in Mist.

Friskums
03-20-2006, 05:49 PM
OK, thanks. ^_^

vcuchica931
03-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Wow, you guys knit fast!!

Everything looks great!! I wish I could make this but I'm on a yarn diet. :crying:

sfavereau
03-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Looks great, Amanda and Jax!

Andrea
03-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Everyone's Starskys are looking GREAT!! :cheering:

Friskums
03-22-2006, 12:54 AM
I just ordered my yarn for Starsky. I decided to go with plain black. It probably won't show the leaf pattern very well, but... *shrugs* I'll live with it. :lol:

Now I just have to wait. :pray:

sfavereau
03-22-2006, 01:19 AM
I really think this sweater will look really good in black! Keep us posted! I'm so excited we have another starting this KAL!

I'm on the Right Front (I just reached the armhole shaping this evening). I haven't gotten to work on it too much, but I needed a bit of distraction today because I've been having anxiety problems lately and my DH took the day off and spent most of the day with me to help me out. :heart: :inlove:

Friskums
03-22-2006, 01:33 AM
Awww... my bf did that one night shortly after I moved in with him. :heart:

It's the sweetest thing in the world. :happydance: for you and your man. ^_^

Yeah, I think black will look great too. It'll have just the right cut and hang, and I think even if the pattern isn't obvious, it'll have a nice subtle texture to it.

catownedanna
03-22-2006, 02:14 AM
My Sierra is on the way from the US!!! :cheering: I just read an email sent from my relatives saying that it was on its way. They repacked the yarn, removed any paper evidence of KnitPicks and sent it off labelled as "gift" with a low value. This way I'll hopefully get it without having to pay taxes for it... Wish me luck!!! :lol:

I'm on the Right Front (I just reached the armhole shaping this evening). I haven't gotten to work on it too much, but I needed a bit of distraction today because I've been having anxiety problems lately and my DH took the day off and spent most of the day with me to help me out.

In awe when it comes to your knitting progress...

Sorry to hear about your anxiety problems but it makes me happy to see what a wonderful man you have to help you out!

Yeah, I think black will look great too. It'll have just the right cut and hang, and I think even if the pattern isn't obvious, it'll have a nice subtle texture to it.

I think you're right. Even if the pattern doesn't show up very obviously, it'll have a nice sbtle texture to it. It might be that everyone will look at it twice to really see what it is, whereas my natural one will have no one looking at it twice... Or maybe they will, to try and figure out what all those twists are as they can't find a pattern there that resembles anything... :roflhard:

Glad to see more people joining us!!! :thumbsup:

Friskums
03-22-2006, 10:40 AM
I'm sure they'll be looking twice at all of them. Both knitters and non-knitters alike will have to check it out closer. It is a rather impressive pattern. (I think so anyway.. :blush: )

sfavereau
03-22-2006, 02:36 PM
In awe when it comes to your knitting progress...

Sorry to hear about your anxiety problems but it makes me happy to see what a wonderful man you have to help you out!

Thanks! I am so grateful to have him! :D I have been battling anxiety for over month. It's all been triggered by some problems with my dog's knee and the surgeries he's required. Unfortunately, the surgery is not healing as planned (even though he uses his leg really well now) and he may face more surgery on that knee and maybe the other as well. He's barely over a year old too. I have no idea why it's hit me this hard (believe me I know this is a minor issue compared to what others have gone through), but I'm waiting for an application for health insurance to be approved so I can get some professional help. Sadly, knitting hasn't helped me enough.

I'm going to be joining a knitting group to get out and meet some people too. :D That should be fun, but doesn't start until the 1st Fri in April. I can't wait!

Andrea
03-23-2006, 03:11 AM
:heart: Stephanie :heart:

Hang it there...give your doggy lots of kisses. Does your DH's work offer any sort of free counseling? I bet the knitting group will help a lot too!! Do you journal? That always helps me when I have a lot on my mind...good luck... :heart:

Jax3303
03-23-2006, 09:21 AM
I finished the back panel yesterday and last night I started on the left front panel. Finishing that back panel alone felt almost as good when I completely finish a project! :happydance: :XX:

Friskums
03-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Looking good! ^_^ It's coming along great. :thumbsup:

I can't wait to start mine. :happydance:

sfavereau
03-23-2006, 04:23 PM
:heart: Stephanie :heart:

Hang it there...give your doggy lots of kisses. Does your DH's work offer any sort of free counseling? I bet the knitting group will help a lot too!! Do you journal? That always helps me when I have a lot on my mind...good luck... :heart:

Thanks Andrea. I have started a blog (thanks for your comment, by the way, it's my first!) and yes, it does feel better to "share" my fears and anxieties. :D DH owns his own business, and since I quit my job, we were left with no insurance. Hopefully, our application for anthem health insurance will be approved and then, at least, I'll have the option of getting professional help.

Oh dear! I just checked the Starsky pattern (http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTstarsky.html) b/c I was going to post about a mistake... and they've made a correction to is. Check out the right front instructions.... See the stuff in pink?????????? That wasn't there when I printed out my pattern and I've done it with the old pattern. Should I rip?

The old pattern reads:

Next Row [RS]: K3[4, 8, 3, 6], work 21-st repeat of Banana Tree Pattern 1[1, 1, 2, 2] times, k10[15, 17, 7, 10].
Next Row [WS]: P10[15, 17, 7, 10], work 21[21, 21, 42, 42] sts in Banana Tree Pattern as set, p3[4, 8, 3, 6].
Cont in patt as set until work measures 14.25[15, 15, 15, 15] inches, ending with a WS row.

I'm 16 rows away from completing the panel??!!!!! I think it will just center the banana leaf pattern better (I thought it wasn't centered right). What should I do?

They didn't correct the mistake I found though... It's on the same panel.

Work in patt as set to last 2 sts, k2tog, k2.

Shouldn't that be "work in patt as set to last 4 sts?[/url]

sfavereau
03-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Well, guys, I'm going to go frog and start the panel again with the new instructions...

So if you've printed the pattern out already, go back and make sure you have the corrected one.

Friskums
03-23-2006, 08:06 PM
Aww, sorry to hear that. :(

catownedanna
03-24-2006, 03:42 AM
but I'm waiting for an application for health insurance to be approved so I can get some professional help. Sadly, knitting hasn't helped me enough.

I'm going to be joining a knitting group to get out and meet some people too. :D That should be fun, but doesn't start until the 1st Fri in April. I can't wait!

I wish you well on getting that health insurance so you can get some professional help to handle your anxiety. I got professional help handling a depression a couple of years ago and I'm so glad I was fortunate enough to be able to see a great CBT-therapist.

Being Swedish I can't imagine the hassle of not being able to get medical help without a certain health insurance... :(

I hope for your dog to get better as well. I have two cats and just imagining one of them being sick or in need of surgery, makes my eyes tear up...

I'm holding my thumbs for you having a great knitting night with others in April! (In Sweden we hold our thumbs for luck and cross our fingers when we lie... :D )

Friskums
03-24-2006, 09:48 PM
Yay!! :cheering: :happydance: :cheering:
Got my yarn in the mail today. I'm going to frantically try to finish the hat for my step mom (unless it's -still- too small and I have to frog it again, then I'm gonna put it to the side for a day or two) and then I'm gonna cast on and get started.

Got a bunch of other little projects to do yet that need to be done in the next month or so...but one or two days won't hurt. ;)

sfavereau
03-27-2006, 05:08 PM
How's everyone doing after the weekend? I got my right front panel done, finally! Whew! No more banana leaf pattern! I'm working on the sleeves right now (make sure you reprint the pattern b/c there is a mistake that's been corrected there too). The sleeves seem so much easier, since it's ribbing and stockinette stitch.

Unfortunately, I won't get it done in time to wear to my first knitting group meeting on Wednesday. Oh well, maybe the following week??

Jax3303
03-27-2006, 05:34 PM
I'm still plugging away at the left front panel. So now I have the back panel completed and just over 1/2 done with the left front panel. I had a busy weekend and didn't get to knit as much as I would have liked to.

Friskums
03-27-2006, 07:00 PM
Just started the ribbing on the back. Got a little over an inch done.

I've got a long ways to go yet.

I love the color of the yarn (I'm using Plymouth Encore Chunky in black), but I'm a little sad it's not as soft as the Worsted or DK. *sigh* Oh well. It's not bad, by any means, just not quite as soft.

I had problems with my swatch though, but I didn't bring my other needles with me, so when I get home I'm going to try swatching with a size 10.5 instead. I'm just scared that it's going to be too loose and make the stitching holey. :( I hope not.

catownedanna
03-28-2006, 02:40 AM
I found this (http://criminyjickets.blogspot.com/2006/03/starsky-post-1.html) last week and I have to say that I really like the way he changed the ribbing. If there was one thing I didn't like about the Starsky design it was the way the pattern came out irregularly from the ribbing.

I think I'll try and do something like it.

Yay!!
Got my yarn in the mail today.

:cheering: with you... I hope to get my yarn this week. Even though I knew it wouldn't come last week I was soooo anxious to get home every day just to check... :D

Friskums
03-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Well, I did another swatch last night on size 11 needles and got the right size. So, I ripped out the the ribbing I had done and cast on again this morning when I got to work.

Now, after seeing catownedanna's post with the altered Starsky I'm tempted to start over again. :thinking:
I disliked the irregularity as well, but now that I look at both of them...

I dunno. I think I'll stick with the original one.

Friskums
03-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Well, I've got the first 'complete' row of the pattern done. I tried to get some pics, but taking pics on black yarn is apparently very difficult. :lol:
So, behold! My black rectangle:
http://ekittie.com/images/knitting/starsky.jpg

I lightened up the pics to try to get it to show up better...and believe it or not, this is a lot better. :lol:

http://ekittie.com/images/knitting/starsky2.jpg
That's a close up of one of the leaf patterns.

My other yarn got here today, so I'm gonna hafta put Starsky on hold for a day or so until I get some more of my friends' presents done.

I'm happy with the way it's turning out though. ^_^ :happydance:

MMK
03-29-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm finally getting to the point of shaping the armholes on the back section. The pattern is really fun, especially now that I have all the cables figured out in my head. They're not hard, I was just reading the darn things wrong. That's what I get for watching "24" while I knit. :shock:

catownedanna
03-30-2006, 01:06 AM
Wow, you're all making great progress with Starsky! :cheering:

sfavereau
03-31-2006, 11:55 PM
I've made some really good progress on Starsky! I'm almost done with the collar. No small feat, since I have 243 stitches on the needles for the collar. Whew! I'm a little bit concerned about the amount of yarn that I have left though... I'm hoping I have enough to make the belt. I left that for last in case I ran out. I figured a different dye lot for the belt wouldn't be as bad.

Pictures will be coming soon!

AmandaC
04-01-2006, 05:20 PM
I've been :XX: all day and have got to the armhole shaping on the back. Am just going to check back on here to check the pattern is correct cos I can't understand why I would only be decreasing on one side - shouldn't it be symetrical?? Going to the check the pattern corrections too!
Right, I came on here two hours ago to do the checking but have been caught up on the blog catching up!

sfavereau
04-01-2006, 05:34 PM
The back is symmetrical. You should be decreasing evenly on both sides.

Friskums
04-01-2006, 07:42 PM
I'm almost ready to start my decreases on the back. Just another few inches to go. :happydance:

sfavereau
04-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Hey guys! I finished Starsky today! A few things.... The sleeves turned out way too long for me, even though I followed the pattern (23" before armhole shaping). I also ran out of yarn for the belt and belt loops. I scrapped the tube belt and just did a garter stitch belt (and streeeeeeeeeeeeeeetched it out). I managed to have enough for two of the four belt loops.

I'm going to order another hank of sierra from Knitpicks when I have some more yarn to order so I can make a better, longer belt and finish the belt loops.

But anyway, here's the finished product. I still do like it! And it's quite warm!

Friskums
04-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Congrats!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
That looks great!

I like long sleeves.

MMK
04-02-2006, 07:56 PM
That Starsky looks great! I'm still working on the back, although I haven't done much of anything this weekend. I ordered one more skein of Sierra than the pattern called for, so maybe that's a good thing.

Do you think the pattern just has really long sleeves, or are you just not a long-limbed person? I think I have short arms, and maybe I shouldn't make the sleeves as long as the pattern says.

Anyway, yours looks great. I love the collar.

sfavereau
04-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Well, I don't generally have a problem with the sleeves being too long on most patterns... I think I might have average length arms, so maybe the pattern just calls for a long sleeve! I made mine 23" from the ribbing (which is folded up into a cuff).

The collar is really great! I had 243 stitches on the needles for the collar and it was bit of a bear to handle, but it goes really quickly. I love the way it turned out!

Andrea
04-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Very cute!!! I would like to see you in the pose from Knitty where she's behind the car door :D

sfavereau
04-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Very cute!!! I would like to see you in the pose from Knitty where she's behind the car door :D

Hah! Sure would be hilarious! I wore it out (just to take a little walk to pay the rent at the apt. office) and I found that it's actually a lot more comfortable with the belt untied... I think it looks good like that too.

catownedanna
04-03-2006, 02:09 AM
Hey guys! I finished Starsky today!

It looks great!!! :heart: I'm happy to hear that you like it and that knitting it was worth the effort!

Do you think the pattern just has really long sleeves, or are you just not a long-limbed person?

I have long arms and usually have to lenghten everything to make it fit. I think I've bought two jackets the last ten years that I haven't had to fix the sleeves on. When going to my tailor I never have to explain what I want to have done, she knows... :D

But, measuring my arms and the sleeves on Starsky, I have to say that I probably don't have to do much lengthening. So, if you don't have long arms you probably don't have to make the sleeves as long. If you find it hard taking the maesurements on yourself, just pick a sweater that fits and measure the sleeves on that one.

Am just going to check back on here to check the pattern is correct cos I can't understand why I would only be decreasing on one side - shouldn't it be symetrical??

Did you work it out?

Me, I'm still waiting for my yarn... :( How can it take two weeks for some hanks of yarn to cross the Atlantic?...

AmandaC
04-03-2006, 03:41 AM
Ok - the bit I didn't think was symmetrical was the first bind off - you did 3 at the beginning on the rs and then 3 at the beginning of the ws ... it is only 1 row but I didn't think it was correct - but I did it anyway and it's ok :D

I have finished the decreases and am just working up the back til it measures 22 inches (although I may stop earlier because I am short!).

Love your's Stephanie and I love the colour too - I couldn't imagine it before but now I see the FO it's lovely :thumbsup:

wildforyarn
04-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Your finished Starsky is great! Way to go!! Love the color too.

Friskums
04-06-2006, 12:09 AM
:happydance: Finished the back! :happydance:

I'll start on the left panel tomorrow at work.
I screwed up the bind offs at the neck. For some reason, the BO 4 on the edges ended up on the outside edge of the panel instead of in the middle next to the BO for the neck.

I'm hoping it won't be too big of a deal. I'd worry more about it, except there are WAAAAAAY too many mistakes in the banana leaf pattern throughout the back panel for me to be concerned over 8 stitches. Especially once I add the collar on.

(It's hard to see it in the pics, and my camera ran outta batteries, so I can't take a close up. Not that I really wanna anyway. :P )

http://ekittie.com/images/knitting/starskback1.jpg
http://ekittie.com/images/knitting/starskback2.jpg

catownedanna
04-06-2006, 01:47 AM
My Sierra arrived yesterday!!! :cheering: :heart: :D

I had to work a bit last night and didn't have too much time to oooohhh and aaaahhhh over the yarn but I did end making a swatch. But...

My stitch count is a perfect 16 st/10 cm but row-wise I'm off. It's supposed to be 18 rows/10 cm and I ended up with 22 rows/10 cm... How can I fix that? Will changing needle sizes help or will that trow my stitch gauge off?

:??

Finished the back!

Looks great!!!

Friskums
04-06-2006, 02:25 AM
My Sierra arrived yesterday!!! :cheering: :heart: :D

I had to work a bit last night and didn't have too much time to oooohhh and aaaahhhh over the yarn but I did end making a swatch. But...

My stitch count is a perfect 16 st/10 cm but row-wise I'm off. It's supposed to be 18 rows/10 cm and I ended up with 22 rows/10 cm... How can I fix that? Will changing needle sizes help or will that trow my stitch gauge off?

:??
As far as I know, since you work for a certain number of inches (not rows) the row count isn't really as important. As long as your stitch gauge is on, I think it'll be just fine.

If you want other opinions, do a search for row gauge and I'm sure you'll find some hits where it's been mentioned before.

But they all pretty much say the same thing.

Looks great!!!
Thanks. ^_^

I was starting to get worried that your yarn had gotten sucked into the Bermuda Triangle it was taking so long. Glad you finally got it. ^_^ :thumbsup:

Andrea
04-06-2006, 03:45 AM
That was QUICK, Frisky!! Nice job!

AmandaC
04-06-2006, 04:23 AM
:cheering: Frisky..... I finished the back of mine the other night and mine looks similar to yours (except yours is black and mine is beige!). Do you think you will have to stretch it alot to get the correct dimensions, because mine is quite narrow but according to the pattern it is meant to be 19.5 inches across .... I don't think I will get it to go that wide :shock: (I'm doing the small). Well the pattern did say it had 8 inches of ease, so maybe mine will end up being a 'skinny' starsky! :oops:

Angelia
04-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Wow, Steph, your Starsky looks amazing! :inlove:

And Ms. Frisky, your WIP looks fantastic!! :thumbsup:

I'm sooo jealous of all of you!

Friskums
04-06-2006, 10:35 AM
:cheering: Frisky..... I finished the back of mine the other night and mine looks similar to yours (except yours is black and mine is beige!). Do you think you will have to stretch it alot to get the correct dimensions, because mine is quite narrow but according to the pattern it is meant to be 19.5 inches across .... I don't think I will get it to go that wide :shock: (I'm doing the small). Well the pattern did say it had 8 inches of ease, so maybe mine will end up being a 'skinny' starsky! :oops:

Because I used a different yarn (one that can't be blocked) mine does look skinnier. But, I think once it's all done it'll be fine. There's a lot of stretch width-wise because of the ribbing and pattern.

I'm hoping so anyway. I guess I should measure it across when I get home. :lol: I hadn't even thought of that. :doh:

And thanks Angelia and Andrea. I'm not minding the larger projects like I thought I would. I'm really enjoying this. ^_^

Angelia
04-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Cables are just plain fun; that's why the larger project was so enjoyable! They keep knitting interesting, unlike miles of stockinette stitch that never seems to get anywhere.

I wonder how many days the dh wouldn't talk to me if I were to order yarn for Starsky... :thinking:

I'm supposed to be stash busting, not stash adding...

jamadian75
04-06-2006, 11:10 AM
I wonder how many days the dh wouldn't talk to me if I were to order yarn for Starsky... :thinking:

I'm supposed to be stash busting, not stash adding...

OMG this had me cracking UP!! :roflhard:

I just did some stash acquisition yesterday since my March yarn embargo was lifted. My justification (and yes, I had it ready for the "post Yarn Store justificaiton call") was that at least 1/2 of what I bought was for a suprise for HIM- some yummy sock yarn for my first pair of socks!

Buy your Starsky stuff and some stitch markers for a future project and tell him it's for a "surprise" for him ;)

sfavereau
04-06-2006, 11:35 AM

It does stretch if you block it. If you don't block it, it stretches when you seam it too. I thought the same thing and mine worked out.

I wear my Starsky every day, since the weather is a little bit unpredictable. It's perfect for cool spring mornings! I haven't gotten any comments on it, except from the ladies in my knitting group, so it must not be wearable. :rofling:

Friskums
04-06-2006, 12:44 PM
I haven't gotten any comments on it, except from the ladies in my knitting group, so it must not be wearable. :rofling:

Pfft, no one else just knows how to appreciate some good knitting skills when they see them. ;)

Friskums
04-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Shouldn't that be "work in patt as set to last 4 sts?

Did you make that alteration when you did yours? Do I need to make a note of that on my pattern?
I forgot to ask this before...
Thanks.

sfavereau
04-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Shouldn't that be "work in patt as set to last 4 sts?

Did you make that alteration when you did yours? Do I need to make a note of that on my pattern?
I forgot to ask this before...
Thanks.

Yes, I made this alteration when I knitted the front right panel.

Friskums
04-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Ok, thanks. ^_^

catownedanna
04-07-2006, 01:49 AM
I didn't come home until 9:30pm last night and I was itching to start my Starsky but restrained myself... Casting on that late would've been a great mistake...

I did however, start a different swatch on bigger needles. As I said before I got a perfect stitch gauge on 6mm needles but my rows were off. I got 22 instead of 18. So, yesterday I tried with 7.5mm (couldn't find my 7's) and my stitch count came out 2 stitches too few and my row count was off with 2 too many. So, I figured I'll go with my 6mm and compensate for lack of row gauge when knitting.

I'm concerned about the sleeve caps and armholes. I guess those are the areas where row gauge matters. I'm hoping you guys can help me out if I get stuck! :D

I'm going to change my ribbing as well. I like it the way Criminy Jickets (http://criminyjickets.blogspot.com/2006/04/starskys-back.html) has done it and I'm doing the same for my back panel. I tried working the ribbing out for the front panels but got confused. I'll fix that when I start knitting them.

If everything goes well, I'll cast on tonight!!! :cheering:

catownedanna
04-07-2006, 01:52 AM
I wonder how many days the dh wouldn't talk to me if I were to order yarn for Starsky...

What if you complained for a week or two about how cold you are and how perfect a Starsky would be... Or is he one of those DH's that would just walk over to your closet and bring you a sweater you already have? :D

MMK
04-07-2006, 07:23 AM
I finally got a little time to knit yesterday, and I am nearly through with the back. It's really fun figuring out how to decrease for the armholes and still stay in pattern. If I ever make this sweater again, it will be a breeze. Extra-spicy? I'm not so sure about that, but I might find out when I get to the next stage.
Edited to add: Okay, so maybe it IS extra-spicy. I wasn't paying attention and had to frog a few rows. :shifty:

Angelia
04-07-2006, 08:00 AM
Or is he one of those DH's that would just walk over to your closet and bring you a sweater you already have? :D

Ah, I see you know him already! "How many sweaters does a person need?" he asks. I cannot even comprehend such a question! I think it's in English, but I'm not entirely sure...

catownedanna
04-10-2006, 02:24 AM
Friday I casted on for the back!!!

So far I've done the ribbing (and added an inch as I want the whole thing to be long) and three repeats of the Banana Tree pattern. My row gauge is seriously off (22 rows/4 inches) so my pattern is a bit squished (being inventive with my English... :D ) but if I hadn't seen what it's supposed to look like I probably wouldn't notice...

If I was on row gauge my work would be approximately 12 inches long now but I'm missing 2,5 inches... So I'll have to do more tree sections than most.

Being off row gauge with 20% I'm worried that I might not have enough yarn. I ordered 2 skeins extra (13 instead of 11) and that almost comes out to 20% extra, BUT I've read that some people have had to knit their collar and belt thinner/shorter because of lack of yarn. Hmmm...

And ordering one skein extra of Sierra from the US. Not going to happen... :(

I think it's in English, but I'm not entirely sure...

:D

catownedanna
04-11-2006, 04:50 AM
I'm one inch away from starting my armhole shaping on the back... :cheering:

I have to do some maths tonight to work out how to do my decreases and how to shape my sleeves and sleeve caps as my row gauge is so off. It'll be exciting as I've never knit a set in sleeve before and don't really know what effect my changes will have on the matching between the two pieces.

I realize I have to do osme changes on the sleeve caps but I don't really know how much of an adjustment I have to make for the armhole shapings. Comparing my row gauge to the pattern's I should do the decreases on the back over 12 rows instead of 10. I'm guessing that doesn't really matter... What do you think? :??

-----

Were/Are you short of yarn? My row gauge has me wondering if I have enough yarn... I'm almost up to shaping the armholes on the back, I'm knitting the M size, and I'm on my third ball of yarn. Do you have any ideas on where you were when you started skein number so-and-so?

Or if you have any ideas on how many skeins you used for the collar, for the belt or the sleeves...

Just so I can have something as a reference...

Jax3303
04-11-2006, 07:53 AM
I'm making the XXL size (mainly because i'm breastfeeding my DD and that's caused HUGE boobs...LMAO) But I used almost 4 whole balls of Sierra on the back panel, and just over 1 ball on the left front panel. I'm doing the armhole & neck shaping on the right front panel and I am on ball 6 now.

dustinac
04-11-2006, 09:23 AM
I have been wanting to do this so gonna order my yarn this week :cheering: now I gotta decide what color I want... :thinking:

Ya'll are doing a great job on them!! :thumbsup:

catownedanna
04-11-2006, 09:29 AM
I have been wanting to do this so gonna order my yarn this week now I gotta decide what color I want...

Yey, a new member of our KAL!!! :cheering: Welcome!

Colour choice is not easy. I wanted a light colour so the the pattern would be easy to see. But then after seeing the great colours everyone is using I think Starsky works with any colour.

I also wanted a light colour so I wouldn't feel too "wintery dressed" if I wore Starsky on a chilly summer night. A black cardigan would do that for me...

Good luck in choosing and knitting! :D

Jax3303
04-11-2006, 09:52 AM
I struggled with color choice too. I was stuck between Mist and Cinnamon. I polled people here, and IRL and finally I did an eenie-meenie-miney-mo thing (LMAO) and choose Mist.

dustinac
04-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Thank you!! I've been wanting to do it since it came out so I'm anxious to get my yarn :happydance:

Thats me I want something I can wear all year round... I'm thinking maybe Tide :thinking: then leaf caught my eye.. I have several color cards for KP but not for this yarn and no other cc I have has tide on it... of course I could order the cc but that would cut into getting the yarn fast :lol:

sfavereau
04-11-2006, 02:34 PM
I was short on yarn, but I think might be that even though I followed the pattern, the sleeves are too darn long! I made size L and I believed I used almost 4 balls on the back, 2 balls each on the front panels, around 3 balls on both sleeves and I had a little over 1 ball left for the collar and belt.

I still have to order another hank from KP, but I'd hate to just order one item! I'm waiting until I know what else I have to order from them. But I still love wearing the sweater sans belt! In fact, I'm wearing it right now! :D

Jax3303
04-11-2006, 02:45 PM
I've read several posts on here, craftster and the yahoo Starsky KAL about the sleeves being WAY too long. I'm a short person and usually need to hem normal sleeves when i buy shirts so I am definately going to alter the starsky sleeves to make them shorter.

I now have both front panels and the back finished, and I cast on for a sleeve a few mintues ago.

Angelia
04-11-2006, 03:01 PM
Oh how exciting for all of you!! I can't wait to make one of my own. I know I keep saying that, but it's still true ;)

Andrea
04-11-2006, 03:32 PM
I can't wait either! I think it'll be a great sweater! I just have to wait a little while longer!

catownedanna
04-12-2006, 01:43 AM
When it comes to colour choice for Starsky I had my boyfriend help me out. I was interested in Sierra Natural, Mist or Cinnamon but couldn't make my mind up. I had him make the final decision. He liked Natural so that's what I'm using. :D

Thanks for giving me some responses on how much yarn you've used so far. I hope I'll be calmer about the yardage in a couple of days when I've come a bit further...

I have long arms and I just took for granted that I'd have to lengthen the sleeves on Starsky, but maybe I don't have to. I'll doublecheck the measurements when I get home tonight. (As always, I'm stealing Internet time at work... :shock: )

Yesterday I did some maths to sort out my armhole shapings and sleeve caps. I think I got it right but I'll redo it before I start the actual decreases. I'm wondering though; my row gauge tells me to make my armhole decreases on 14 rows instead of 12 (including the two BO-rows). Will that actually make a difference in the end or do I have to compensate for that in order to have the sleeve caps fitting properly?

I'm afraid I'll have to tug the sleeves strangely to get them to fit if I oversee something in the design of set in sleeves... Sometimes I think too much!!! :D

dustinac
04-12-2006, 09:10 AM
I think natural is the best choice I really like the way it looks but I have 2 small babies (5&2) so I'm afraid chocalote hands might greet me one day and after all that work I'd be like :shock: :crying: so thought I better not :lol: I was gonna have dh help me decide last night but we got home late and I forgot about it :rollseyes: gonna have him help me tonight although I know he will choose Tide his favorite color is blue :rofling:

I plan on making the LG cause I like looser fitting sweaters my arms are average I think :thinking: lol so might have to adjust them too... :happydance: can't wait to start or get my yarn :cheering:

wildforyarn
04-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Okay, me being lazy and not wanting to sift through all posts, what is everyone using for yarn for the Starsky. I think I am going to start one and just trying to decide on the yarn for it. Thanks!

Friskums
04-12-2006, 09:08 PM
I used Plymouth Chunky in Black.

...I think I'm the only one who didn't used the suggested yarn.

wildforyarn
04-12-2006, 10:26 PM
I used Plymouth Chunky in Black.

...I think I'm the only one who didn't used the suggested yarn.

Thanks! I knew that there was someone who used something else. I am dying to try and start this. Off to look at yarn color choices...

catownedanna
04-13-2006, 01:01 AM
I knew that there was someone who used something else.

I think AmandaR used a different yarn as well as she found it expensive and time consuming to have KnitPicks yarn shipped to the UK from the US. CAn't remember what she used though. You can find it if you look back through the posts here.

AmandaC
04-13-2006, 02:32 PM
It's me - i am using Rowan polar

dustinac
04-13-2006, 09:07 PM
My Sierra from KP has been ordered :cheering: ... I asked my dh he suggested Mist.. I asked mom she liked Tide and Grape... So I'm going with Tide so I could have ordered this on Wed if I had just stuck with what I wanted... :rollseyes:

knitqueen
04-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Okay, I'm not totally decided if I'm going to actually make this sweater or not (I DO love it, whether I can afford new yarn or not...) but I have this worsted weight in a color I love and have been fiddling around with it. I can actually almost get the right gauge.

I know that the knit would be looser, but what do you all think? If I can get the right gauge, do you think it would be feasible? I like the idea of a slightly less chunky version.

MMK
04-15-2006, 07:22 PM
On the pattern schematic that shows the finished sizes of the pieces, why is that line showing 3.5 inches drawn on the left side of the side piece? I'm assuming it has to do with the overlap, but not sure. Should that side be blocked bigger or what?

In case you can't tell, I've not made a cardigan before! :doh:

Edited to add: Knitqueen graciously answered this question on the How To forum!

catownedanna
04-18-2006, 01:57 AM
I wish I had a digital camera so I could show you all that I've been working on Starsky over the weekend. Not as much as I had hoped though, but it's because of good wheather and an urge to be outside, so I'm not complaining too much... :D

I want to make my Starsky as long as possible so I've knitted the back and the front panels up to where the decreases start. I've started the ribbing on the sleeves and figured I'd make them before finishing the back and fronts. That way I hope I can more accurately decide on how much of a lengthening I can do. The pieces are 2 inches longer as it is now...

How are you all doing?

AmandaC
04-18-2006, 07:03 AM
I've finished the panels and am now on the first sleeve - hurrah no more cabling. I'm hoping the sleeves go quickly - i want to move on to the next project now :rollseyes:

catownedanna
04-18-2006, 08:17 AM
I'm hoping the sleeves go quickly - i want to move on to the next project now

Are you already tired of knitting Starsky? Or is the next project just more fun?

I'm really enjoying my Starsky. Love the cabling sections of it! :D For some reason I imagine the collar to be fun to knit as well even though I realize it's an endless 3x3 ribbing...

Jax3303
04-18-2006, 08:41 AM
Oooh, the collar IS fun to knit! I got really bored working on the second sleeve, so yesterday I decided to start the collar. I like doing short rows and short rows + ribbing = mindless enough to do while watching TV, yet fun enough to keep you wanting to work in it.

and the sleeves do go quickly, it's just they're VERY borring to knit.

I will lay my Starsky wip out and get a pic of it later today.

Jax3303
04-18-2006, 01:02 PM
okay, here's a pic of what I have done so far on Starsky!

Andrea
04-18-2006, 01:07 PM
:inlove: :inlove: That color is very pretty! Can't wait to see it finished!

knitqueen
04-18-2006, 01:26 PM
Beautiful work! I agree, the color is lovely.

knitqueen
04-18-2006, 01:27 PM
I've been fooling around with the cable pattern a bit and am wondering if anyone else finds this cable really tricky? I'm finding it super hard to memorize, even tricky to 'read' my own work. Does it get better as you go???

sfavereau
04-18-2006, 02:35 PM
I've been fooling around with the cable pattern a bit and am wondering if anyone else finds this cable really tricky? I'm finding it super hard to memorize, even tricky to 'read' my own work. Does it get better as you go???

Slightly better, for me. But I was never able to memorize it. I could read my work after awhile, but never memorized it at all. I had to use a row counter and a post it note to keep my place in the pattern. I've never had to do that before! LOL

knitqueen
04-18-2006, 04:57 PM
A HUGE FAVOUR PLEASE!!! ;)

I am venturing out here, reeeeeeally wanting to make Starsky, but wanting to make it out of some lovely worsted yarn I have (ie. NOT the same gauge) so with some googling around, and I know there's a quite lengthy description in Stitch 'n Bitch Nation, I found various sites that teach how to convert patterns to using a completely different yarn and gauge.

I'm gonna give it a whirl!! BUT I need to know the row gauge in order to calculate some of the stuff.

The Starsky pattern doesn't give a row gauge, so what I'm wondering is if some of you who have completed it, or have your swatch, or could measure stitches on the sleeve (the gauge has to be in stockinette) for me, I'd greatly appreciate it!

All I need to know is approx how many ROWS PER INCH you get with the recommended yarn and needle size.

Thanks! :D

sfavereau
04-18-2006, 07:43 PM
I get about 5 rows per inch in stockinette. Hope that helps!

knitqueen
04-19-2006, 12:57 AM
The pattern does give a row gauge afterall....duh! :doh: Thanks though!

catownedanna
04-19-2006, 01:09 AM
The pattern does give a row gauge afterall....duh! Thanks though!

I hope your conversions work out! My row gauge is off with the Sierra I'm using. It's supposed to be 18 rows/10 cm and I', getting 22 rows/10 cm. I'm doing a bit of maths myself to have it all work out.

I'm finding it super hard to memorize, even tricky to 'read' my own work. Does it get better as you go???

I started out practising tha cable pattern only and did it by following the written directions. I colour coded the different cable codes in the text and the explanation. Just to make it easier to follow. I then realized that colour coding the different cables on the chart was waaay easier for me.

The pattern suddenly made sense to me and even if I have to glance at it to get every row right I just have to see a blue or yellow combination and I know what to do.

I always keep track of my work marking every row on a piece of paper. In doing Starsky I grouped my marks in twelves. (Does that sentence make sense in English? :D )

okay, here's a pic of what I have done so far on Starsky!

Great work!!! :cheering:

dustinac
04-19-2006, 10:21 AM
:cheering: Jax that looks great!!

:happydance: my yarn should be here today :happydance:

knitqueen
04-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Here's my progress so far. I'm calculating to convert this to using a worsted weight yarn (Patons Decor) and I'm crossing my fingers that my mathematical ingenuity and gauge will not disappoint! :roflhard: I have done 2 repeats of the banana tree cable and I'm loving it so far!

wildforyarn
04-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Here's my progress so far. I'm calculating to convert this to using a worsted weight yarn (Patons Decor) and I'm crossing my fingers that my mathematical ingenuity and gauge will not disappoint! :roflhard: I have done 2 repeats of the banana tree cable and I'm loving it so far!

If this actually works out for you, would you mind sharing the math with me? I would love to make this out of some worsted weight yarn that I already have. Great idea! :thumbsup:

knitqueen
04-20-2006, 04:09 PM
I'd love to share what I did, if it works!! We'll wait and see, I'm going to do my best. I'm glad that I decided to change the lower ribbing though, so that it matches up with the ribs in the cable section. That part bugged me about the pattern.

knitqueen
04-20-2006, 09:05 PM
For those a bit further along in the pattern......how does it work out when you have to do the decreases surrounding neck & armhole shaping in relation to the cable pattern?

sfavereau
04-20-2006, 09:17 PM
For those a bit further along in the pattern......how does it work out when you have to do the decreases surrounding neck & armhole shaping in relation to the cable pattern?

You just have to decrease right into the pattern and pick it up from there. Not very fun!!! I had to do all the decreasing in one sitting or else I'd mess up.

catownedanna
04-21-2006, 01:48 AM
I'm glad that I decided to change the lower ribbing though, so that it matches up with the ribs in the cable section. That part bugged me about the pattern.

I've changed my ribbing as well. On the back I have the Tree stems coming out of two knit stitches but I couldn't work that out on the front panels if I didn't mess around waaay more with the ribbing, including sections of four and such. So now I have the stems on the front panels coming out of two purl stitches. It looks okey to me and I don't really think anyone else will notice.

Good job on your Starsky! :cheering:

dustinac
04-21-2006, 09:42 AM
:cheering: Looking good KQ

I got my yarn :happydance: I was trying to get a little farther on my green gable cause I can wear it now but the yarn is calling my name not sure how much longer I'll be able to hold out... I know me though once I start the Starsky thats all I will want to work on :rofling:

knitqueen
04-21-2006, 10:50 AM
I'm going to work it so that my ribbing is K3P4 all the way around.

Friskums
04-21-2006, 03:02 PM
I haven't made any real progress so far. I've been so sick this past week I only managed one day of work (the next day I went in my supervisor told me to go home. :shock: )
And I've been frantically trying to get my mom and stepmom's items done for mothers day. I'm still working on my mom's hood scarf.

Hopefully after this weekend I can continue working on the left front panel.

Everyone else's is looking great! :cheering: :cheering:

knitqueen
04-21-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm finding that the lower ribbing and the cabling pulls the design in A LOT that I'm worried it will wind up too small. It is stretchy and I can stretch it to the proper measurements, but it still has me a bit worried.

Andrea
04-22-2006, 04:43 AM
I love it KQ! :heart:

AmandaC
04-22-2006, 02:30 PM
I'm finding that the lower ribbing and the cabling pulls the design in A LOT that I'm worried it will wind up too small. It is stretchy and I can stretch it to the proper measurements, but it still has me a bit worried.

Me too :shock: I doubt there will be the 8 inches of ease the pattern says there will be with mine!

AmandaC
04-24-2006, 05:06 AM
I'm on the collar!!! :cheering: yay - I missed the belt out :oops: - I will do that afterwards but I do have plenty of wool left to finish it.

I'm hoping to finish it by Friday :rollseyes:

Andrea
04-24-2006, 05:08 AM
Can't wait to see it :cheering:

catownedanna
04-24-2006, 05:10 AM
I've finished the decreases on the back and am now working up towards the neckline. I think I have about 4 inches left.

When that is done I have to start the decreases on the front panels. I've knit them up to where the neckline shaping starts.

The sleeves are done and I think they ended up the perfect size for me. :thumbsup: Following the pattern's recommended lengths!!! I love the fact that Starsky has long sleeves and that the cuff makes it easier to adjust the length individually.

I've started on the belt as I need something mindless to bring to my knitting group tomorrow and I wanted to try it out so that I knew exactly what to do. I enjoyed it so much that I now have 20 inches done on it.

I sooo wish I had a digital camera! :(

I'm still debatting on whether I have enough yarn or not. I'll do some maths and decide that it's enough and when finishing up for the night I'm convinced that I'll end up being short. I don't know how many times I've done the same calculations by now... :( I guess I wouldn't fuss so much about it if it was easier for me to get an extra hank of Sierra.

Rereading sfaveraue's reply to my question some pages back I realize that she used one hank for the collar and I have thought that the collar would need at least 1 hanks... So, Anna, stop fussing about it!!! It'll be alright!

I'm on the collar!!!

Great!!! Can't wait to see the finished Starsky!!! :cheering:

knitqueen
04-24-2006, 07:28 PM
I'm making progress on my 'converted to use worsted weight Starsky'. It's a good lesson in gauge for me, actually. The pattern asks for 16sts/4" and what I'm working at is 19sts/4", so only ( :rollseyes: ) 3sts/4" different, but it makes as much difference on the medium size to cast on 99sts instead of 84sts for the back piece. I was shocked!! :shock:

So I'm up to starting the armhole shaping for the back piece, it's on hold right now as I figure/calculate/try to wrap my brain around this! I've made a chart to chart the whole thing up from this point on because I'm a bit anxious about the decreases and how they work with the cable pattern, I want to SEE it before I actually DO it so I know that I won't end up with a big screw up somewhere along the way. Needless to say, I'm going to be inserting a lifeline before I continue!!! I would hate to lose so much work. I think my measurements are dead on at the moment so I'm good to go.

You would not believe how much calculations go into converting something like this. I all of a sudden realized (duh!) that if the pattern itself says, for example, to work 2 rows and repeat 4 times more decreasing stitches on each side on every other row, that you have to figure out how many ROWS on the new gauge it equals and how many stitches the number of stitches increased equals in the new gauge, in other words 10 rows does not equal 10 rows.

Gaaaaah! I need a rest. :zzz:

butterflymama
04-24-2006, 09:18 PM
Man, that hurts my head just reading about the math! Let me ask a stupid question...why couldn't you change needle sizes until you got the correct gauge with worsted? Or is that as close as you can get?

I feel for ya!

knitqueen
04-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Well, with the worsted weight I could get close to the right gauge with about a 10.5 or 11 size needle, but then it would be too loose a knit.

Edited to add: I just realized when looking over the pattern again, that now that I've figured out the armhole shaping for the back piece, it will be virtually the same for the front pieces so most of my work is done! :D

(I'm actually enjoying the math :thumbsup: )

catownedanna
04-25-2006, 01:17 AM
You would not believe how much calculations go into converting something like this.

I think I have some clue! :D My row gauge is off (have 22 rows/10 cm instead of 18) and I've had to recalculate to get the armhole shapings, the neckline and the sleeve increases and caps to come out the right shape. I've had to turn k2tog to p2togtbl and so on the get the slantings right as I have decreases done on the "wrong side"...

I can imagine the work having to consider stitch gauge as well...

I'm glad to hear that you enjoy the maths! :thumbsup:

catownedanna
04-25-2006, 01:22 AM
Yesterday I finished the back and the left front panel! I hope to have the right front panel done so I can start the collar this weekend.

Do you suggest blocking the pieces before starting the collar? My pieces have to be blocked as they're too narrow and the pattern a bit too "chunky"... What method of blocking would you use for KnitPicks Sierra (70% wool and 30% alpaca)? I've only tried steam blocking before.

I can't believe I've come this far so quickly on Starsky! I imagined me having to struggle to get it done for the summer nights and now I think I'll have it done within a few weeks.

Maybe time to start thinking about the next project? :D

sfavereau
04-25-2006, 02:19 AM
I do suggest blocking the pieces. The method that worked well for me was to pin the pieces down (I pinned them to my carpet) and then lightly spraying them with water. I let the pieces dry overnight and they came out quite nice.

catownedanna
04-25-2006, 03:05 AM
I do suggest blocking the pieces. The method that worked well for me was to pin the pieces down (I pinned them to my carpet) and then lightly spraying them with water. I let the pieces dry overnight and they came out quite nice.

I thought it would be easier to block the pieces before getting the collar on. Just wanted to check! :D

I'm glad to hear that your blocking was that "easy", as I had pictured myself working veeeeery hard to get the blocking done. I'm glad to hear it didn't take more than one night to get the pieces dry. I'd hate to wait forever to start the collar.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Also, do you (or any of the others here) see any reason not to do a three needle bind off on the shoulders as opposed to seam the pieces together?

knitqueen
04-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Also, do you (or any of the others here) see any reason not to do a three needle bind off on the shoulders as opposed to seam the pieces together?

I don't see any reason why not. This is what I plan to do.

jessicat
04-26-2006, 01:55 AM
Hey all,

Just wanted to share some photos. I always like to see what a pattern looks like before I knit. Hopefully, these will give people an idea of what they are getting themselves into. Honestly, it has been a much easier pattern than I originally thought. Everyone who suggested using color coding to keep track of where you are in the design were right on. I have yet to make a mistake using the color-coding method.

Now the pics. I used Knit Picks Sierra as called for by the pattern. The color is Mist. It is sort of a blue toned charcoal color.

Friskums
04-26-2006, 02:25 AM
Lookin good!! :cheering:

knitqueen
04-26-2006, 05:25 PM
That looks really nice, jessicat! :D

Here's the back of my Starsky. 100% finished knitting but completely unblocked and all that jazz. It came out really well, the picture doesn't really portray the colour properly, but here you go!!

:XX:

Andrea
04-27-2006, 01:40 AM
I :heart: it! Is it more pink, less pink?? It's beautiful!

sfavereau
04-27-2006, 02:02 AM
Everyone's Starsky is looking great!

Catownedanna asked me (on my blog (http://sfavereau.blogspot.com) if I got much use out of my Starsky and the answer to that is one emphatic yes! I love my Starsky! I wear it all the time. Spring here in Colorado Springs can be a mixed bag when it comes to weather and my Starsky (made from KnitPicks Sierra) is the perfect weight and warmth for the cooler days. I love it!

jessicat
04-27-2006, 02:29 AM
Thamk for the pics and compliments. We'll see how complimentary everone is feeling when i get to the part where things have to be sew together. :XX: :doh: :crying:

I really like the pink you chose for your sweater, knitqueen. I like this project a ton and am considering making other colors, unless som fine young patter walks bye blowing sweet kisses to me :heart: Crap! One more things to try and stuff in my knitting area.

Slight off topic but realted to my future plans for Startsky, any of you want to weigh in on the virutes of blocking this piece or not blocking it. Blocking is an epic, a life and soul draining experience in a studio apartment backed from floow to cielling. Kave u ever lived to regret and needle-to-body garments for their mishapen and become a blocker?
[/code]

catownedanna
04-27-2006, 03:05 AM
Your Starskys are looking great! I'm amazed how good the cardigan looks no matter what colour you've chosen. I was so certain it was one of those "need-the-right-colour-to-make-it-look-awesome"-cardigans... :oops:

My aim is to have Starsky ready for Tuesday next week. We have Monday off from work (May 1st is a national holiday here) so I have the weekend plus Monday to finish one of the front panels, block the pieces, do a three needle bind off on the shoulders, knit the collar, seam it all up and attach the belt loops... (That sounded like soooo much to do when I had it all out like that. I guess I'll be :XX: my time away!)

I bought a new pair of shoes yesterday and I found myself wondering if they would go well with my Starsky... :D

AmandaC
04-27-2006, 05:46 AM
Ok - I've finished the collar, blocked it and sewn one sleeve in. I don't know if I block correctly but it seemed to work for me - I get a wet tea-towel and have the iron on steam - stretch it out, cover with the wet tea-towel and then press it with the iron, pressing the steam button all the time.

I had to stretch it alot!

So tonight I need to sew in the other sleeve, do the seams, do the belt and belt loops ... I want to wear this tomorrow ... not sure if I will be able too yet :thinking: I will be :XX: :XX: :XX: don't think I'll have to stop and eat dinner!

dustinac
04-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Last night I finally got my Green Gable to where I put the sleeves on scrap yarn :rollseyes: making adult sweaters is not as fun as kids.... but thats it... I've printed out the Starsky pattern... working on my gauge cause I'm jealous :oops: of ya'll and your wonderful starskys... so Green Gable is being put in the bottom of my bag... :rofling:

Jax3303
04-27-2006, 10:20 AM
Here's a pic of what I have done on my Starsky. She's still missing her left sleeve, belt and belt loops (which are all in progress), but I think she's lookin' pretty good! Forgive the pic (and my pajama pants), it's the best picture out of 10 and the photographer is my 6 year old son.

knitqueen
04-27-2006, 12:19 PM

Just looking at it again.....maybe it's not so much the colour that's off, it's just a poor quality camera that doesn't take good pictures. I find that the picture makes it look kind of harsh and scratchy but it's really nice and fluffy and soft. This is the yarn I'm using (http://www.patonsyarns.com/product.php?LGC=decor&SPP=999) in the color called 'Pale Country Pink'. That'll give you a better idea.

Jax, your starsky looks great and I love the colour you chose. It really does look good, no matter which colour is used.

:cheering:

AmandaC
04-27-2006, 06:19 PM
Cool starsky's everyone.

I've finished the main part of Starsky - I just need to do the belt and the belt loops.

The arms are quite tight - maybe they'll stretch with wearing and there is definitely not 8 inches of ease as the pattern states! maybe I rushed my swatch :oops: and knitted a bit tight! Oh well - looks nice anyway. I will get a picture of it when there is someone to take it for me!

Andrea
04-27-2006, 07:08 PM

Just looking at it again.....maybe it's not so much the colour that's off, it's just a poor quality camera that doesn't take good pictures. I find that the picture makes it look kind of harsh and scratchy but it's really nice and fluffy and soft. This is the yarn I'm using (http://www.patonsyarns.com/product.php?LGC=decor&SPP=999) in the color called 'Pale Country Pink'. That'll give you a better idea.

Jax, your starsky looks great and I love the colour you chose. It really does look good, no matter which colour is used.

:cheering:
Where did you pick up your yarn? I love those colors! Is it soft?
And Jax, I :heart: it!! Tell your son, "great job!" on the pic! :thumbsup:

I will knit this eventually, I just HAVE to!

knitqueen
04-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Well, I'm in Canada so if I told you I got my yarn at Lewiscraft it probably wouldn't mean anything! ;) But it's the kind of yarn you can find at any Michael's or whatever, it's not a fancy LYS type of yarn, if you know what I mean.

It's very soft, in my opinion. It's the same fiber content as Plymouth Encore but I think the Patons Decor is a bit thicker and softer. AND I got it all for 30-40% off so how could I say no??? :lol:

Andrea
04-28-2006, 03:33 AM
I wonder if we have that at our stores... :thinking: I'll have to take a looksie

catownedanna
04-28-2006, 08:56 AM
Looking forward to seeing your Starsky, Amanda! :D

I'll be blocking my pieces overnight and hopefully start the collar tomorrow. I did notice though that my LYS-lady must have miscalculated (from inches to centimeters) as she gave me a 31inch circular needle instead of the 36inch that the pattern calls for. Will I be able to make the collar without too much hassle or should I stop by my LYS for a 36inch needle?

AmandaC
04-28-2006, 09:02 AM
hmmm - not sure on length of needles. I used my denises and had two cables joined. For reference I had 267 stitches on the needles (small) if that is any help.

Right - a question about the belt ..... It says K1 sl1 with yarn held to front of work ... does this mean: Knit one (as normal) bring the yarn forward, slip one (would that be knit or purl wise?) then bring the yarn to the back again and Knit one again etc .... so basically it would be like k1p1 without doing the p1 (if you can understand that I will be amazed cos I'm not it makes sense to me!) :??

Confused from UK!!!

catownedanna
04-28-2006, 09:07 AM
does this mean: Knit one (as normal) bring the yarn forward, slip one (would that be knit or purl wise?) then bring the yarn to the back again and Knit one again etc .... so basically it would be like k1p1 without doing the p1 (if you can understand that I will be amazed cos I'm not it makes sense to me!)

Yes, that's it!!! :thumbsup: (And slip it purlwise so you don't twist it.)

It'll turn out to be a tube. But flat. Cool! I love my belt! :D

AmandaC
04-28-2006, 09:11 AM
Thank you thank you - will be doing this tonight - my other plans for the evening fell through :(

jamadian75
04-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Ladies,

I'm not part of this KAL, but I just can't help coming in here to (be nosey) see how you're all doing and may I say... :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

This sweater just sounds complicated, but you all are doing REALLY fantastic knitting.

Keep it up!!

knitqueen
04-28-2006, 10:39 AM
So the belt is done in the same way that an i-cord would be? Sliding the stitches to the other end of the needle rather than turning to work the next row?

Jax3303
04-28-2006, 11:03 AM
So the belt is done in the same way that an i-cord would be? Sliding the stitches to the other end of the needle rather than turning to work the next row?

no. the way the belt is knit, it does create a tube, but it's not knit like and i-cord. you knit a stitch, then with yarn in front, slip a stitch purlwise. you do the k1, slip 1 WYIF across the 12 stitches, turn and do the same across the next row.

AmandaC
04-28-2006, 11:31 AM
you do the k1, slip 1 WYIF across the 12 stitches, turn and do the same across the next row.

so in reality you are only 'knitting' 6 stitches per row and slipping 6.

I hope I am as enthusiastic about this belt as Anna is!

knitqueen
04-28-2006, 12:23 PM

no. the way the belt is knit, it does create a tube, but it's not knit like and i-cord. you knit a stitch, then with yarn in front, slip a stitch purlwise. you do the k1, slip 1 WYIF across the 12 stitches, turn and do the same across the next row.

Thanks, that really helps. :D

Friskums
04-28-2006, 10:50 PM
Arg!
I'm so frustrated/confused/unhappy I just want to rip it all out and start over.

Initially I was going to post a question I had, but as I was looking the pattern over again, I think I skipped a part.

Sizes S, M Only:
Next Row [RS]: K2, ssk, work in patt as set to last 4 sts, k2tog, k2.
Next Row [WS]: P2, p2tog, work in patt as set to last 4 sts, p2tog tbl, p2.
Repeat these 2 rows 3[4, _, _, _] times more. 56[58, _, _, _] sts rem.

Sizes L, XL, XXL Only:
BO_[_, 2, 4, 4] sts at beg of next 2 rows. _[_83, 91, 92] sts rem.
Next Row [WS]: P2, p2tog, work in patt as set to last 4 sts, p2tog tbl, p2.
Repeat these 2 rows _[_, 1, 2, 2] times more. _[_, 75, 79, 80] sts rem.

Next Row [WS]: P3, work in patt as set to last 3 sts, p3.
Repeat these 2 rows 4 times more. _[_, 65, 69, 70] sts rem.

All Sizes:

I'm doing the small size, and for some reason, when I was reading the pattern, I thought the part I bolded was for the L, XL, and XXL. But, as I look at it now, I think I may be wrong and I was supposed to do it too.

I'm on the left front panel and just finished working it for the 14 inches and am trying to figure out the neckline and armhole shaping. I think I've figured it out, but those same two rows are under the X, XL, XXL part again. So, if I was supposed to do them on the back, and didn't, should I not do them now so it matches? Will not doing them effect the finished product?

Also, there's so many errors in the back (only one or two on the front panel) I'd really like to just frog it all and start over, this time paying more attention to the chart (and maybe not working on it at work since I seem to screw it up when I'm there).

After seeing the pics of the other Starsky's coming out so well I'm so disheartened...

Any thoughts or suggestions? And any input on the pattern would be -greatly- appreciated.

knitqueen
04-28-2006, 11:45 PM
I'm fairly certain that when she seperates the different sizes with different directions, you would just then jump to where it says 'All Sizes'. I think that the part you bolded belongs to the larger sizes. I hope I'm right because that's how I did my back piece!

sfavereau
04-28-2006, 11:57 PM
You don't have to do the stuff that frisky kittie bolded if you are doing the smaller sizes. You just jump right into the All Sizes section.

Friskums
04-28-2006, 11:59 PM
I'm fairly certain that when she seperates the different sizes with different directions, you would just then jump to where it says 'All Sizes'. I think that the part you bolded belongs to the larger sizes. I hope I'm right because that's how I did my back piece!

Ok. I'll calm down then. I don't know why that sent me into such a little panic. Thanks though; that's what I was thinking too but the more I look at patterns, the harder I think about it and I think I just end up confusing myself.

[Edited to add: When it says
Work in patt as set to last 4 sts, k2tog, k2.
Work 7 rows in patt as set, maintaining 3 sts at neckline edge in stockinette st.
Repeat these 8 rows 3 times more

Do I do the next 7 rows with a k2tog at the last 4 sts? Or just the first row gets the decrease?]

knitqueen
04-29-2006, 12:38 AM
The 7 rows in between are without decreases.

Friskums
04-29-2006, 12:40 AM
Thanks. ^_^

Friskums
04-29-2006, 12:50 AM
Ok, hopefully the last question:

For the armhole shaping, it says:
Next Row [RS]: BO 3 sts, work in patt as set to end.
Work 1 row in patt as set.

Now, after that, do I keep BO 3 on each RS until the neckline shaping is finished?
Or do I move down to the next part of directions and do that, the BO and the neckline shaping?

Sorry I'm being such a pest with these questions. I'm just confusing myself more and more. :(

sfavereau
04-29-2006, 11:26 AM
Ok, hopefully the last question:

For the armhole shaping, it says:
Next Row [RS]: BO 3 sts, work in patt as set to end.
Work 1 row in patt as set.

Now, after that, do I keep BO 3 on each RS until the neckline shaping is finished?
Or do I move down to the next part of directions and do that, the BO and the neckline shaping?

Sorry I'm being such a pest with these questions. I'm just confusing myself more and more. :(

You only BO 3 once. Then you just continue with the pattern.

knitqueen
04-30-2006, 09:54 AM
One sleeve down, and man did that ever take a long time! The back piece took a long time too but it was challenging and kept me thinking which I really enjoyed for a change. Then to go to a loooong stockinette sleeve kind of bored me! I'm odd, but I think I'll do the belt next, for a change of scenery again, and then the front pieces (or maybe I should suck it up and do the second sleeve first).

I did the sleeve as long as the pattern said to, even though some have talked about the sleeves being really long. I measured my arm and when taking into account the fold-up cuff, I think it'll be about right.

AmandaC
04-30-2006, 06:29 PM
Ok - here we go ... This is the 'skinny rib' version of Starsky - not intentional but that's the way it turned out ....

Starsky Back
http://www.alreeve.zoomshare.com/album/Knitting/images/7e4776f6842501365d5fdd6a005a24c9_11464354110/image.jpg

Starsky Front
http://www.alreeve.zoomshare.com/album/Knitting/images/119a0344268d1e4066acbd601533cfa5_11464353850/image.jpg

Starsky On

http://www.alreeve.zoomshare.com/album/Knitting/images/71b5154005dd34466b483491d5a8f519_11464353560/image.jpg

NOTE: I quite like seaming!!! :shock: not as keen on the sewing the sleeves in tho! The belt seemed to take AGES!!!!

Jax3303
04-30-2006, 06:42 PM
AmandaR - WOW!!! your starsky looks great!

Jackie F.
04-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Amanda, your Starsky looks fantastic!!:inlove: Love it!

Friskums
04-30-2006, 10:12 PM
AmandaR, that looks great!

I've decided to frog my progress and start over. There were just WAY too many mistakes, and after thinking about it for a little bit, I came to the conclusion that even if other people wouldn't be able to tell I made so many mistakes, me knowing that I did would seriously bug me each time I wore it. So, I probably wouldn't wear it very often. Which completely ruins it.
So, I'm starting over. And not going to let myself work on it at work so I don't make as many mistakes again. Hopefully. :pray:

Andrea
05-01-2006, 04:50 AM
:inlove: Looks BEAUTIFUL, Amanda! Wear it with pride! So, how long from start to finish?

Frisky, you'll get it! :heart: Just keep working at it (coming from someone who is just lurking! :rofling: )

catownedanna
05-01-2006, 05:55 AM
Amanda, your Starsky looks great!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Looking at you wearing it, there's no thinking that it lacks 8 inches of ease. Really! Be proud!

And did you enjoy making the belt or was it just time consuming? :D

Friskie, I hope you'll stick to your Starsky even if you decided to frog it. I'm sure you'll love it when it's done and you know how committed you were.

Me, I was hoping to have my Starsky ready for tomorrow, but I'm not sure that will happen. I didn't get as much done this weekend as I had hoped for. Spent too many hours in bed feeling sorry for myself as I'm coughing my lungs out and sneezing my brains out...

I have two more rows to go on the collar (with 285 stitches on the needle!) before BO. Then I have to put the pieces together. I'm sure I can do the side seams quite easily but I'm totally afraid of putting the sleeves in... :( And then the belt loops.

I only have a couple of hours today that I can use for Starsky, so we'll see. Wish me luck!

dustinac
05-01-2006, 08:48 AM
:cheering: :cheering: Looking good!!!!

Friskie, don't feel bad once I get to those sections I'll prolly have tons of questions ;)

I'm finding that I can't work on this when my kids are up... I get to talking to them or answering questions and mess up my count.. I'm still at the bottom of the back working on the design.. I was hoping to have alot more done by now.. might have to put in some late nights :D

knitqueen
05-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts on an alternative to the collar??? I'm not crazy about the whole collar thing and wondered if I might just pick up stitches, as the pattern says to, but make a much narrower trim?

catownedanna
05-02-2006, 12:57 AM
I didn't make it for today... :(

I got the collar done and I set in the sleeves but I didn't have time to do the side seams or belt loops. Hope to be able to do that tonight.

sfavereau
05-02-2006, 02:18 AM
I didn't make it for today... :(

I got the collar done and I set in the sleeves but I didn't have time to do the side seams or belt loops. Hope to be able to do that tonight.

That's great! You'll have it done in no time! Personally, I don't like too much seaming, but that's because I choose to do matress stitch on the side and sleeve seams. Yikes, that takes forever!

catownedanna
05-02-2006, 03:04 AM
but that's because I choose to do matress stitch on the side and sleeve seams. Yikes, that takes forever!

:( That's what I'm planning on doing. Using mattress stitch. It's the best looking seam and I want my Starsky to be the best I can accomplish...

I hope it doesn't take more than a couple of hours, but then again.. Thinking about when I've used mattress stitch before, it's taken forever. I guess I better dive into seaming when I get home from work today! :D

AmandaC
05-02-2006, 08:13 AM
I did mattress stitch and it didn't take too long ... :shifty: but that may be because I got bored and threaded through 2 stitches rather than 1 at at time :oops: . Still looks good and holds firm so who cares!

catownedanna
05-02-2006, 09:14 AM
because I got bored and threaded through 2 stitches rather than 1 at at time

Well, I have slipped the first stitch on every row so I end up with half as many edge stitches as rows... I hope it won't be too bad. I really want to be able to wear my Starsky at least on Thursday when we're going on an overnight excursion with work.

Any in particular I should think of when it comes to the belt loops?

Andrea
05-02-2006, 10:24 AM
I bought my yarn today!!! I got KP Sierra Natural as in the picture on Knitty! :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering:
I can't wait to start!!! :happydance:

knitqueen
05-02-2006, 10:49 AM
YAY Andrea, you're finally joining us (after all your lurking! ;) )

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Andrea
05-02-2006, 11:17 AM
I know, I was feeling so voyeurish! :rofling:

AmandaC
05-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Any in particular I should think of when it comes to the belt loops?

I found it quite hard to pick up the stitches for the loops and needed to use another knitting needle to slip/manoeuvre the picked up stitch over the wrapped yarn - if you get my meaning .... :thinking:

catownedanna
05-03-2006, 06:26 AM
I bought my yarn today!!! I got KP Sierra Natural as in the picture on Knitty!
I can't wait to start!!!

Yey!!! Glad you're diving into it! And that you're using the same yarn and colour as I am. :D

I found it quite hard to pick up the stitches for the loops and needed to use another knitting needle to slip/manoeuvre the picked up stitch over the wrapped yarn - if you get my meaning ....

I think I get it! Thanks! :D

I finished my seaming yesterday and I'm really proud of it. If I may say so myself. :blush: I will do the belt loops later today. And then block the collar ribbing as I find it pulls up funny at the bottom. Then I'm done!!! :cheering:

kimmie
05-03-2006, 04:08 PM
I just discovered this thread and the Starsky's that have been knit are wonderful!!! I want to make one, but I'm afraid I'd never be able to decide which color to make because every single one there is a picture of seems "just right!" You are all so talented!!

kimmie

knitqueen
05-04-2006, 07:54 PM
For those who have finished (or are more finished than I am anyways!), at the shoulders, does the cable pattern on the front pieces line up with the cable pattern on the back piece??

sfavereau
05-04-2006, 07:57 PM
For those who have finished (or are more finished than I am anyways!), at the shoulders, does the cable pattern on the front pieces line up with the cable pattern on the back piece??

Yes, mine did. the pattern wasn't "continuous, but it did line up. As in the knit stitches lined up with the knit stitches and the pattern stitches lined up with the pattern stitches.

knitqueen
05-04-2006, 08:29 PM

Yes, mine did. the pattern wasn't "continuous, but it did line up. As in the knit stitches lined up with the knit stitches and the pattern stitches lined up with the pattern stitches.

Thanks. Because I'm changing this pattern to use a worsted weight, I hadn't considered this aspect of it until now. Not quite sure what I'm going to do. It will bug me if it doesn't line up so I'll be figuring something out!

catownedanna
05-05-2006, 08:46 AM
My Starsky is all done!!! :cheering: :D :heart: :cheering: :D :heart:

I've been wearing it on and off for two days now and I'm sooo loving it. I like the fit and the feel of it. Unfortunately the sleeves came out too short even if I thought I'd made good measurements. I'll probably wear it without cuffs.

The feed back I've got so far (from colleagues) has been so positive that my head is all blown up with pride. :blush: I'll see if anyone can take a picture of me in my Starsky before I leave the office today. If I'm successful, you'll see pictures here in a couple of hours, but you might have to hang on 'til Tuesday, when I'll be returning to the office (and the digital camera....)! :D

AmandaC
05-05-2006, 09:07 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

catownedanna
05-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Here are two pictures of my Starsky!!! Too little time to make them better looking... Sorry.

Edit: I forgot to add some basics for this post. I knit Starsky in the medium size. I did lengthen it with 2 inches. I used KnitPick's Sierra in Natural (as the Starsky in knitty.com was knitted in). The pattern called for 11 skeins. I used 12, due to not getting row gauge and the lengthening.

I truly enjoyed knitting Starsky. By colour coding the cable chart I got it quickly. Even if I had to glance at it for every row I knew how to do the blue and yellow cables without looking at the explanation.

As I didn't get row gauge I did some maths to get the armhole shapings, sleeve caps and neckline to work out alright. I also changed the ribbing as I didn't like the look of k3p3 for the medium size. It wasn't even. So I changed it and have the tree stems coming out of k2 (on the back) and p2 (on the front panels). I think you can see it on the pictures.

If you're thinking about knitting Starsky, I say; Go for it. It is a great knit and wear!!! :thumbsup:

sara_jayne
05-05-2006, 09:47 AM
Anna that is STUNNING!!! :inlove: Beautiful job!

AmandaC
05-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Superb ... If I knit this again I would try it in the KP Sierra (hang the cost) ... I love mine in the Rowan Polar but it did make the sizing squew-iff! and it looks a lot 'heavier' and tighter than yours ...

Lover-ley!

knitqueen
05-05-2006, 11:08 AM
It looks really fantastic. Way to go! The fit looks perfect. :cheering:

jamadian75
05-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Wow Anna!! As the yarn harlot would say - you are a Knitter!! (with a capital K)

:notworthy:

You should feel very proud of such a gorgeous accomplishment.

knitqueen
05-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Here's my back piece, now blocking. :D The yarn I used is a wool/acrylic blend so I HOPE that I don't have to totally re-block it everytime it gets washed. :pray:

Jackie F.
05-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Anna, that sweater rocks!! :thumbsup: 8-)

dustinac
05-05-2006, 11:17 PM
:cheering: that is so pretty!! You guys are doing a wonderful job.. I'm still slowly making my way up the back when the kids are napping... I should start a sleeve to do while they are up that way I'm still working on it... :thinking:

Andrea
05-06-2006, 12:13 AM
Anna, :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
It's perfect! Great jpb! Can't wait to start mine!!!!!!! :cheering:
KQ-yours looks great, can't wait for the finished product!

Jan in CA
05-06-2006, 12:17 AM
What a gorgeous sweater!!! :inlove: :inlove: Yours looks great, too, Knitqueen!

catownedanna
05-06-2006, 05:12 AM
Thanks for your compliments! :blush:

Naturally, we now have summer weather here, and my Starsky is waaaay to warm to wear. But I'm not complaining. Living in the south of Sweden, I know I'll get plenty of use for it. :D

Jax3303
05-07-2006, 03:18 PM
I finished my Starsky this morning!!! I'll be able to post a pic of it tomorrow. I am SOOO happy to finally have it done! I am not happy with how loose my sleeves are, but I am not unhappy enough to frog anything to go back and change the pattern.

knitqueen
05-07-2006, 03:37 PM
I am so burned out on this project :( I just can't help but think that if I'd only used chunky yarn like the pattern told me to, I'd be done by now. But noooooo, I had to go and make things all complicated :doh: . Added to that, the sun is shining, it's beautiful outside and do I feel like knitting with wool??? No, not really. So for now it's on hold until I re-gain my inspiration. I swatched and cast on for a summery top yesterday, and once I get that out of my system maybe I'll be ready to finish off Starsky.

Jax3303
05-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Here's a pic of my Starsky!!! Another great pic from my 6 year old photographer :) I placed my bletloops a little too high, and my sleeves are too baggy, but I love my Starsky! It's my first adult size sweater and my first non top down raglan sweater too.

Friskums
05-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Everything looks great you guys!

I was on a weeklong visit to my family back up in MN and during the flight there, a little while there, and on the flight back I restarted my Starsky.

I've got about a 3 rows left until I hit 15 inches and then I start the decreases. And even though I'm doing it over, I'm SO HAPPY I decided to do it again. There's only a couple of mistakes, and it looks soooooo much better. NOW I'm happy with how it's working out. ^_^

I've also decided not to work on it while at work since that's when I screw up all the time. At least I won't on the back. I realized I could start on the belt or the sleeves while at work...but I realized it after I was already at work today. Oh well. I'll bring it tomorrow.

So, yay! I'm excited about Starsky again! :happydance:

And again, everyone's FOs look fantastic! :thumbsup:

AmandaC
05-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Great job Jax - your photographer is much better than mine! He's six too but can't seem to hold the camera still so my pix were all blurry!

catownedanna
05-09-2006, 05:20 AM
I am so burned out on this project

Sorry to hear that!!! 'Cause it makes for a great cardigan...

But I can see the urge for some "summer knitting" now and I just hope your Starsky-urge will come back to you! :D Good luck! We'll be here :cheering: :ing for you.

So, yay! I'm excited about Starsky again!

Glad to hear that! :D I brought the sleeves and belt to work but wouldn't bring the front or back panels. I'd be afraid of messing things up. (Now I managed to do a complete Starsky without any mistakes in the cable pattern at all!)

Here's a pic of my Starsky!!!

Looks great! Give my compliments to the photographer as well! :D

Andrea
05-09-2006, 06:29 AM
Looks great, Jax! And Frisky, I'm glad you are happy now! I still haven't gotten my yarn, but according to the KP website, it's been shipped :happydance: