PDA

View Full Version : Sneaking around to Knit (how do YOU hide it?)

Rennagayle
03-10-2006, 01:35 PM
My dh is off work and home today. He seems to think it's a perfect day for spring cleaning the yard, flowerbeds, and house. :rollseyes: All I want to do is knit. I try and slip in a few stitches here and there when I think it will be a bit before he comes in looking for me. :oo:

I've even had visions of sneaking my knitting bag into the bathroom. At least there, I can lock the doors. :X: (I guess we don't have a knitter on the "pot" icon)

I think I've reached the point where knitting has become an obsession with me. So, what other obsessor's have come up with creative means of sneak-knitting? :mrgreen:

CarmenIbanez
03-10-2006, 01:37 PM
I knit at work during lunch and breaks. :-)

koolbreeze
03-10-2006, 01:46 PM
girl just knit. tell him you get to it later :D

Jan in CA
03-10-2006, 01:50 PM
I don't know...can you make a deal with him? Work with him for a few hours and take a break to eat and knit for an hour or so, then work for a while..etc?

njknitter
03-10-2006, 02:17 PM
I can't hide it...just do it! I have to admit that I do feel guilty at times....there's always something else that really needs doing!

sfavereau
03-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Oh gosh! Whenever DH wants me to do something and I want to knit, the best thing I've found is to get the task done as fast as I can, then I can knit to my heart's content without having to hide. DH is pretty good, but he'll make soooooooooooooooooo much fun of me if I'm knitting instead of doing what I'm "supposed" to be doing. :roflhard: He does seem to understand "addictions" since he has his own, namely 3d graphic stuff.

Amber
03-10-2006, 03:00 PM
:roflhard: I don't have any suggestions, but I like your taking your knitting into the bathroom idea. That's a good one! :rofling:

brendajos
03-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Oh gosh! Whenever DH wants me to do something and I want to knit, the best thing I've found is to get the task done as fast as I can, then I can knit to my heart's content without having to hide. DH is pretty good, but he'll make soooooooooooooooooo much fun of me if I'm knitting instead of doing what I'm "supposed" to be doing. :roflhard: He does seem to understand "addictions" since he has his own, namely 3d graphic stuff.

lol...i think it would be worse too if he were to CATCH you doing it! :rofling:

JessicaR
03-10-2006, 04:22 PM
I usually move piles of crap around to new places, sometimes hide them so it looked like I cleaned!

hedgewick
03-10-2006, 04:54 PM
every time I'm knitting in front of my husband I can just see him adding up in his head all the $ I've spend on yarn. Of course, he's a computer geek and I hate to even THINK about all the $$$ he's spent on parts to build and upgrade his computers (yes, more than one). I think I have the "cheap" hobby...LOL!

Jenelle
03-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Well, I try to hind from my parents, but over 75% of the time they find me.

It's pretty sad though, because half the time my mom goes, "Jenelle, I'll ground you from knitting for one week!" :rofling: :roflhard:

dustinac
03-10-2006, 06:15 PM
:rofling: who all has secret knitting stashes in their bathrooms? Confess?? Ya know sometimes I thought if I could knit while taking a hot bath it would be so great... since the hot bath time is normally my only peace and quiet of the day... but then the idea of getting my yarn wet or my dh's stares as I took my knitting to the bathroom make me stop and not do it...

I usually try to get everything out of the way or I feel guilty while knitting.. unless I have a certain date to get something done and I'm not going to make it then it all goes out the window till its done.. and dh knows this and doesn't care lol...

quirky
03-10-2006, 06:37 PM
It took us a good long time to come to an agreement. We have been married 17 years. If my husband wants to get something done - he will ask if I can help. If I have already made plans, even if it is just to knit, then we set a date to get the other stuff done. Works in reverse too.

Occassionally something comes up when we both HAVE to pitch in. In that case we both agree to set a limit on how much time we spend on that project.

Celine
03-10-2006, 06:42 PM
I knit openly in my home while I should probably be doing housework!! I have knit as early as 5am. when I get up early. I find it very relaxing. :XX: :XX: :XX:

I haven't had to hide my yarns yet either...but if I ever get my big antique looking armoire FULL then I will have to hide yarn..that armoire is pretty big! :D

I have not knitted out in public yet....I guess when I'm not home that is my break time from knitting. I babysit my gd full time at my home..so when I'm out of the house that is a real treat!! :happydance: But I've knit in my yarn shops so thats in public and counts right?? lol :roflhard:

Angelia
03-10-2006, 06:44 PM
We don't have children and have odd academic schedules, so days are for work and evenings are for recouperative things like my knitting and his video games. On weekends, which are usually when any kind of substantive cleaning occurs, we both pitch in for a couple of hours and then separate to do our own things. He never complains that I'm knitting when he thinks I should be doing something else (he wouldn't dare--he is not my father!), but he does occasionally complain about the $$$ spent on knitting. ;)

aylaanne
03-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Tonight, I thought I lost a knitting needle on my futon (in my livingroom, also known as my nest). I spent half an hour cleaning it, vacuuming underneath it, and as soon as I found it, I immediately stopped cleaning and resumed knitting.

I keep small projects in my school bags so I can knit whenever. I have a project next to my bed so I can knit in bed. I have projects around my nest. Today I was upset that I ended up having an hour at a patient's home while we waited for his antibiotic to infuse, because if I had known, i would have brought yarn and needles to cast on a new project! :lol:

I'm a mess.

Rennagayle
03-10-2006, 07:26 PM
I try and keep a brain number project in a ziploc bag in my purse (such as a garter stitch scarf) at all times, for those opportunities which arise unexpectedly.

This afternoon, dh wanted me to go with him to a local RV open house sort of thing. We aren't in the market for a new RV, but it's fun to look and dream; plus they were giving away free hotdogs and cokes. :mrgreen:

Anyhoo, I grabbed the little Angels Pocket (http://www.bbc.co.uk/print/stoke/my_pages/babywear/hkp/025.shtml) project I'm working on for the Compassionate Knitting Project (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9430) KAL here at KH. I was SO glad I had it with me, as dh got into a lengthy conversation with one of the salesman about boring RV related stuff that I could care less about. I made a beeline for the van, and grabbed my knitting. :XX:

Ingrid
03-10-2006, 07:30 PM
We had a fire drill at school the other morning at 7:40. This is very unusual, as the students weren't even in yet--just a few staff members. I grabbed by knitting bag in case it was a bomb threat or something. No point waiting around outside without something to do!

I never hide knitting, though. If the room is in chaos around me, so be it. Knitting keeps me sane among the insanity. ;) I do feel better knitting in a clean room, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

knason4
03-10-2006, 07:38 PM
I usually move piles of crap around to new places, sometimes hide them so it looked like I cleaned!

:rofling: :rofling: That is so true! How can we be expected to clean when we have knitting to do? :roflhard:

feministmama
03-10-2006, 08:04 PM
I can't have a realtionship where a partner tells me I can't knit. It's just not gonna happen. This is my body and I do with it what I want. dammit.

Now my son on the other hand can be a total jerk nagging me and whining and complaining that I knit too much. Most of the time he just has to complain. But sometimes I'll tell him to go brush his teeth or something just so I can finish a row :shock:

cozy
03-10-2006, 09:30 PM
I'm with feministmama. It's not DH who's the problem, it's ds. :D But he's only 14 months-old, so he hasn't yet been properly trained to leave me alone when I'm knitting! :XX:

Although I do sometimes feel guilty when there's chores to be done & I'm intent on knitting, I feel I deserve "me time," too. I work at home, so I really can't "get away." DH is nice about it, too--only once has he kinda begged me to "not buy any more yarn." :rofl:

knittingachiever
03-10-2006, 10:34 PM
I never have to hide my knitting at home - DH is totally mesmerized by it and loves to watch my projects grow. He's actually encouraged me to take knitting breaks! :heart:

At work is another story... my current boss is one of those people who can't understand that one might be doing something even if they aren't running around looking frazzled. For a long time, I'd slip off to the building library and knit a few rows when I had some downtime. Now, however, since I'm a short-timer there and will be giving notice within a month or so, my scr3w-it threshhold has dropped pretty low and I just knit right at my desk. :blush: :roflhard:

Rennagayle
03-10-2006, 11:31 PM
In my dh's defense, he never tells me I can't do anything (knit or otherwise), but when he's worked all week, comes home on the weekend wanting to get some household projects done, and the only evidence of anything having been accomplished by me that week is my pile of knitting, well, I could hardly blame him for getting frustrated. :oops:

I tend to obsess on whatever I'm doing, at the expense of other things around me which need doing. My dh never says anything to me, but I know he's disappointed if I've let the house go all week, and he's been out working all week to come home to a mess, with me in the center clacking my needles. :mrgreen:

In other words, dh isn't the problem, I am. :rollseyes: