PDA

View Full Version : Cat bed, socks, shawl and dishcloth (new pics now, meow)

Yvonne
03-19-2006, 11:24 AM
Here are a few things I've been working on lately.

The dishcloth is the Holidays Swirls cloth from Creative Knitting Magazine.

The shawl is the Feather and Fan Comfort Shawl (pattern free online) but made with sport weight variegated cotton, with a ruffle added for an edging. Those were some loooooooooooooong rows!

The socks are plain short-row heel socks made with Bernat Sox yarn. They don't particularly match and I only made them for lack of other knitting inspiration. I probably won't wear them as I'm in south Florida and can't even remember the last time I wore socks! :rollseyes:

The cat bed is an interesting thing. I was on one of my Goodwill jaunts and found some really old crewel/tapestry yarn in those little 40-yard skeins. But they were 100% virgin wool, and were 39 cents, so I figured what the heck, I'll get 'em. In addition, I had some recycled navy merino that used to be a men's sweater lying around, so I put it all together and went to town on this cat bed. I made the base in a pinwheel fashion, then picked up stitches around the edge, working on the walls in random stripiness till I figured it was tall enough. Then, a purl row turning ridge, a mirror image of the outside wall for the inside wall for thickness/sturdiness. After that I sewed the inside wall to the base and added applied I-cord to the top all around. THAT STUFF FELTS AND SHRINKS REALLY FAST. I swear it was in the washer for MAYBE five minutes. I was so disappointed. I like the overall look, but the cat has to turn herself into a pretzel to fit into it! She can do it, and she loves it, but it is way too small. Parts of her hang out all over the place.
Moral of the story: Don't pass up those little non-knitting skeins of wool. They work!

Jan in CA
03-19-2006, 11:40 AM
Everything looks great! Too bad about the cat bed, but it looks beautiful! Cats like to be pretzel-like anyway. ;)

knitterma
03-19-2006, 11:46 AM
When I read the thread topic I was thinking "cat bed and cat socks?". :rofling:

I really like the kitty bed, even if it didn't felt up the way you wanted. I'm sure your kitty will enjoy it ... my kitty is always stuffing himself into things he shouldn't fit into like so:

http://img2.glowfoto.com/images/2005/12/17-2020581295T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=17-202058L&y=2005&m=12&t=jpg&rand=1295&srv=img2)

Ingrid
03-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Everything is beautiful! I love the way you pinwheeled the cat bed. I agree that the bed is probably just fine. If you're cat didn't like it, do you think for one single moment that she would use it? I think not. :rofling:

Jan in CA
03-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Bridgette!! That pic is hilarious! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Danielle
03-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Great job on everything! :thumbsup: I love the colors of the socks. I really like that dishcloth pattern. I made one a few months ago, and I kept ending up with the wrong # of stitches after each repeat... :rollseyes: Got it figured out after :frog: about 10 times! :rofling:

KellyK
03-19-2006, 01:39 PM
I think those FUN socks match JUST enough! They look GREAT!

As does that shawl....beautiful!!

LOVE the cat bed. I had a HUGE cat once that liked to sit in our TEENY TINY bathroom sink....I bet that bed is just right where he's concerned!

Yvonne
03-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Kelly, my cat used to lie in the bathroom sink in our old house too. She was even fatter then, and the sink was at least as small as this cat bed.
You know what's weird? I bet others who have made a cat bed or dog bed have seen this too-- is the way the animals know it's for them and take to it within minutes! Right now the cat is on the lanai where there are three chairs and a whole futon to sit on, but she has crammed herself into this too-tight bed. She really does like it. Who knew.

Pensguys
03-19-2006, 03:04 PM
Those are really nice!!!

Will you post a picture of the cat in it? I'd like to see! My boys keep trying to get me to make a cat bed....I will one day.

Jenelle
03-19-2006, 03:21 PM
I love everything! Great color choices too!

Bridgette- Our cat tails acts like your cat. She tries to cram herself into boxes that she can't fit into. :rofling:

We used to have a cat who tried to fit into dixie cups :shock: :rofling:

gardenmommy
03-19-2006, 03:34 PM
I love that pinwheeliness of the cat bed!

Socks and shawl and dishcloth are great too!

Apparently cats in sinks is a common enough phenomenon to warrant its own website! LOL Whodathunkit?

http://www.catsinsinks.com/

Yvonne
03-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Those are really nice!!!

Will you post a picture of the cat in it? I'd like to see! My boys keep trying to get me to make a cat bed....I will one day.

You asked for it, you got it. Complete with Cat Thought Captions. :lol:

Mer
03-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Aww, I love the cat bed! Very creative pattern. And as long as she uses it, that's all that matters! :D

Pensguys
03-19-2006, 06:15 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard:

Great pictures!!! Thanks!

knitterma
03-19-2006, 06:16 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Thanks for the pics and the narration. Totally made my day.

And Jenelle - DIXIE CUPS?!? :rofling:

sfavereau
03-19-2006, 06:29 PM
I love the cat bed! She can get in it!

Bridgette, that picture of your cat in the USPS priority mail box is HILARIOUS! I nearly died laughing.

Jenelle
03-19-2006, 10:03 PM
And Jenelle - DIXIE CUPS?!? :rofling:

Yeah.... he tried to fit into everything though :??

I remember taking an ice cream bucket and tying a string to it, and he would jump in there to go for a spin :rofling:

I have got to make a kitty bed. Something huge for our fat cat Cleo.

Amber
03-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Everything looks great! I love the pics of the cat trying out his new digs! Too cute!

Andrea
03-20-2006, 05:19 AM
The kitty pictures are soooooo cute!!! How adorable how hard he's trying to fit, I :heart: it!

sara_jayne
03-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Everything looks so great!

I had a cat who was a big cat (not overweight, just big) and he used to cram himself into shoe boxes and he was perfectly content in there!

Rennagayle
03-21-2006, 01:38 AM
I LOVE the pinwheel stripes in kitty's bed, and he looks adorable all squished into it. :mrgreen:

I, too, have latched onto those little skeins of wool. I found a couple dozen of them at our Salvation Army last year. I think I paid about ten or twenty cents a skein. :thumbsup: I used them to make large felted (crocheted) coasters, and they felted perfectly, and quickly. :happydance:

VictoiseC
03-21-2006, 12:37 PM
That's so funny! Hey maybe you could knit an addition for her head!!!
:shock:

No really, that's the prettiest cat bed I ever saw. You are so clever to do that pinwheel thing. I adore this bed. Why don't you make another one but bigger? Gosh those would sell for like $100 here in Manhattan I'm not kidding.

Want to see a real tragedy? This is the first Pi bed I made and although I felted it twice (or maybe 3 times I forget) it just wouldn't firm up and it never took shape even though I put it over a big bowl. It's FLAT AS A STUPID PANCAKE. (I suspect some of the yarn was washable wool or something...) But guess what, they (both my cats ) LOVE IT. They didn't realize it's suppsed to be more of a a bowl. We take it in the car when we go back and forth to our country place and they love it. But I just have to make a proper one.

Here it is: (hanging her head in shame)

VictoiseC
03-21-2006, 12:40 PM
P.S. Isn't it hard to do that pinwheel thing? Where did you learn that?

Rennagayle
03-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Victoise, flat or not, that is a beautiful bed! :thumbsup:

rebecca
03-21-2006, 02:02 PM
:D Everything is GORGEOUS!! Looks like Kitty loves the bed. LOL, my cats crawl into boxes, lie in the sink, one likes to sleep in the pillowcase with the pillow...they are too funny ;)

VictoiseC
03-21-2006, 02:20 PM
thank you Renna!!!!! :blush: :D

Yvonne
03-21-2006, 02:24 PM
P.S. Isn't it hard to do that pinwheel thing? Where did you learn that?

I can't remember! Maybe years ago in a book? But no, it's not hard. You just cast on some multiple of 3. Knit 3, turn, knit 3. Turn. K6, turn, K6. Short rows, doing this until all the stitches are used up. Then you start all over again, beginning each section at the outside edge. And since I was felting this, I didn't even bother wrapping on the short rows. Easy-peasy.
By the way, I like your cat bed bettern than mine whether or not yours felted the way you wanted. Besides, if the cats love it, that's what counts.
I think I'll make a bigger and better one in a couple of months, and give this one to a 6-pound Pug I know. :D

VictoiseC
03-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Thanks Yvonne, I think I'll try that sometimes, it sounds intriguing..... the pinwheel. How can you POSSIBLY like mine better!!!! Yours is a work of art.
You should make them and sell them they're so different.

VictoiseC
03-22-2006, 06:59 PM
Happened to be passing the couch today and there he was: Picture Perfect

so I thought I'd send it along. Hope you don't mind...

Paolo says Hi

Yvonne
03-22-2006, 07:44 PM
Hi Paolo! Here, kitty kitty!

I see you have a cat bed you can actually fit in! :oops: hee hee

spooky
03-22-2006, 10:41 PM
ohhhhh !!!! look at the meow meows !!!!!! HOW CUUUUUUUUUTE!!!!!

ekgheiy
03-22-2006, 11:26 PM
Great work Yvonne!!