PDA

View Full Version : FO: Straight-Laced Socks

DotMom61
03-20-2006, 10:34 PM
Wow ... I've had two FOs in the past three days. I think that's a record for me.

First of all, here are my Straight-Laced Socks (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/PATTstraightlaced.html) from Knitty.com in Sockotta sock yarn, #617.

http://static.flickr.com/35/115608150_7f35436d72.jpg

And just to prove there *are* really two! ;-)

http://static.flickr.com/39/115608152_75392b3d85.jpg

I knit these top-down on two circular needles, and I did both socks at once. The pattern called for turning the socks inside out to do a 3-needle bind-off on the toes. :shock: I found this to be a bit challenging, to say the least. I decided to go ahead and Kitchener stitch the first one, but I decided that I needed to do the 3-needle thing on the other. So, I flipped it inside, wrestled both sets of circulars through the tiny little hole in the tip of the toe and bound off. It left pointy little edges on the bind off, and I wasn't overly thrilled about the whole process. I probably won't do this again.

Finally, this pattern seemed to knit up a bit larger than I had hoped. They feel a bit baggy. Fudging w/ reducing this pattern would be a challenge because of the lace repeats. So, I'll probably just use a different pattern next time, but it was a fun one to knit!

Oh yes, and I forgot: My second FO is a tiny preemie gown for the Compassionate Knitting Project. I posted a picture of it on that thread here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138853#138853).

CateKnits
03-20-2006, 11:15 PM
I like them! I want to make some, but only if I can do it on DPNs.

Tammy6071
03-20-2006, 11:20 PM
Wow, they look so nice! I just finished my first sock and thought they were a lot of work, I cant even image doing all the lace in these, but they really came out beautiful, really nice work and the colors are great!

Jeep_Girl
03-20-2006, 11:21 PM
DM -= they are so BEAUTIFUL!! :heart: :inlove:

ekgheiy
03-20-2006, 11:22 PM
:inlove: Lovely!!! I like, I like ...

sara_jayne
03-20-2006, 11:33 PM
Great job! Thanks for posting about your problems with the pattern etc - those really help!!

Amber
03-20-2006, 11:38 PM
Great socks -- i love the color!!

rebecca
03-20-2006, 11:53 PM
LOVE :heart: :inlove: :heart: LOVE the socks!! I was just looking at that pattern earlier today, but cast on for Cascading Leaves instead.........Oh yeah.....SOCKS, BABY...........WTG :cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

Jan in CA
03-21-2006, 12:39 AM
What a pretty color they are! Good job! :cheering:

KellyK
03-21-2006, 01:01 AM
They're SO pretty, Jul!!!! :cheering:

DotMom61
03-21-2006, 02:00 AM
Thanks, everyone. :oops:

Cate ... if you've knit socks before, you could probably convert the pattern to use w/ DPNs, but it might be a challenge w/ the lace pattern. It's not a complicated lace pattern, but I wouldn't want to split it up. That's just me, though.

Anyway, I got my Cat Bordhi sock book the other day, and now I'm really looking forward to doing more socks on 2 circs! They really do go faster & you don't have to worry about laddering & stitches falling off when you least expect it.

Becka ... I want to check out the Cascading Leaves pattern ... it sounds intriguing!! Where is it?

Well, off to bed for me. Thanks again, everyone, for all the nice compliments!

Andrea
03-21-2006, 05:25 AM
Very pretty, Julie bear!!! I'm still waiting for my Addis from Jeff (it's been 11 days since I got my receipt! :mad: ), then I'm going to try 2 socks on 2 circs. :D

Ingrid
03-21-2006, 08:51 AM
I love those colors!! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!

VictoiseC
03-21-2006, 12:23 PM
Those are very pretty socks. Wow, that sounds way too complicated for me. I am in love with DPNs for some silly reason. I guess they wouldn't felt from the type of yarn but maybe they'd shrink just a little if you wash them and put them in the dryer for a short time?

rebecca
03-21-2006, 01:22 PM
Cascading Leaves is beautiful. Jeanne Townsend designed the pattern and several other lovely sock patterns. I got the patterns from my yahoo group "Townsend Sock KAL" I also have found some beautiful patterns in Yahoo's "Six Sock KAL" And you can find some BEAUTIFUL circ patterns on Sockbug's blog (http://sockbug.blog-city.com/all_the_olympic_details.htm) ;)

Mer
03-21-2006, 01:25 PM
Beautiful--I love those colors!

DotMom61
03-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Ooo, Mer, I love your new avatar!

Becka: I joined the Townsend Sock KAL last night just so I could get that pattern. :D And to see what else I can learn from them. Perhaps I'll see you out there!

Vic: You're right; they won't felt. I, too, am hoping they'll shrink down a bit, though. We'll see. If not, I'll just hope that slouch socks come back in style. :rollseyes:

Thanks, Ingy!

And, Andrea, I hope your Addis come before you head off to FL! Socks would be a nice manageable project to tote along on the plane.

Now ... I'm off to fix dinner!

rebecca
03-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Doesn't she have some lovely socks?! Did you join the six sock kal? They do 6 new socks a year & have some beautiful patterns on file, too ;)

Andrea
03-22-2006, 06:32 AM
And, Andrea, I hope your Addis come before you head off to FL! Socks would be a nice manageable project to tote along on the plane.

I hope they come too, because we're DRIVING!!! :D :D Even MORE knitting time!!!!!! :cheering:

Ronda
03-22-2006, 07:45 AM
:cheering: Love 'em!

DotMom61
03-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks, Ronda. ;-)

Andrea -- DRIVING to FL?! :cheering: :cheering: Think you can convince DH to drive the whole way?

Becka -- I just joined the Townsend KAL group, and really, I don't even have time to get into that too terribly much. I just took a look @ their patterns a little bit this morning, though. There are some reallly pretty ones out there!

Andrea
03-22-2006, 11:58 AM
Andrea -- DRIVING to FL?! :cheering: :cheering: Think you can convince DH to drive the whole way?

I already told him he WILL be driving. It won't be too bad, because we'll stay in Atlanta overnight, so he'll only be driving 12 hours the first day. :D I can't wait! I've started my "to knit" list...now if only I could be wearing TUBEY on the way down! My goal is to finish my Lucy bag in the car and felt it in my parent's room in Disney!!! :cheering: :cheering:

DotMom61
03-22-2006, 12:03 PM
My goal is to finish my Lucy bag in the car and felt it in my parent's room in Disney!!! :cheering: :cheering:

Now that's a dedicated knitter!! :roflhard:

VictoiseC
03-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Just like the good ol' days.... DRIVING TO FLORIDA! :cheering: I think that's so neat. I've been trying to get my guy to do this (from NY) for years. I always get the 2 hours or 2 days! argument. I used to drive across and up and down the country a lot. I miss that, AND I won't get on a plane lately so it's kind of weird. You're going to get in a lot of knitting Andrea, cool!

Andrea
03-23-2006, 02:59 AM
I'm so excited!! AND I GOT MY ADDI'S TODAY :cheering: :happydance:

Pixywhispers
03-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Julie, they are gorgeous. Very inspiring.

WOOHOO! Andrea glad they came in!

DotMom61
03-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Oh, yay! Just in time for FL!! Have fun knitting with them. How's Tubey coming along?

Oh, and I keep seeing where everyone is buying Addis from "Jeff," but I've never looked into it. Do you have a link for me? :D

And thanks, Pixywhispers. :)

kimmie
03-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Dotmom!! Those are soooo cute! This is the second post I've read in a row about people doing 2 socks on 2 circs. That befuddles me! I'll have to give it a try I suppose, but it seems like magic!

:) kimmie

CountryVariety
03-24-2006, 08:36 AM
Just Wonderful - I LOVE your toe - it finished off so perfect :heart: Very Very Nice!

:XX: Shelley
Country Variety Yarn Shop
IT'S ALL ABOUT OPAL SOCK YARN
http://www.countryvariety.com

DotMom61
03-24-2006, 09:59 AM
Kim -- The 2 socks/2 circs thing is rather magical. I really liked having both socks done at once, but it seemed like it took longer. Of course, this is the first pair of adult socks I've made. So that may have also contributed to the slowness factor.

I think now that I've done two at once, I could execute the pattern a little more "elegantly" than I did this time. I also have Cat Bordhi's Socks Soar on 2 Circulars book now, and I'm thinking that her hints in there are going to also be helpful, although she doesn't knit 2 at once.

And, Shelley, thank you! The toes do look pretty good in the picture, don't they? ;-) One of them has a tiny bit of yellow in the tip of it. Looks kinda funny by itself. :lol: I do like the Kitchener stitch toe much better than the 3-needle bind-off in the pattern, btw. It's a much smoother finish.