PDA

View Full Version : YOTS: Part Deux--Design your own tank!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Are you a designer? :??

Do you want to be? :?eyebrow:

Is it hard for you to find patterns that fit your curvy hips, flat chest, short waist, big boobs, wide sholders, third arm, etc in just the perfect way??? :shock:

Can you add, subtract, multiply, divide, cast on, knit, purl, and bind off?

If you answered YES to any of the above questions, then this KAL is for YOU! :cheering:

Our second "sweater" this year will be a summer tank top, which you will design and knit with Hildie's Happy Mathematical Methed. (alliterations are always alluring!)

I'm hoping that this KAL will inspire some of you to take the next step in knitting--pattern emancipation!!!!

A few "requirements" for this KAL that I thought would be fun:
*some kind of bottom "border" or edging
*a stitch pattern BESIDES stockinette stitch

But it's your design, so if you want a roll edge stockinette tank top, go ahead and do it.

Since we want this to be done and wearable in June, I am suggesting cotton yarn, or a cotton blend. You don't want to be sweltering your butt off when you are wearing it! Knitpicks (www.knitpicks.com) has lots of cotton, in cute colors and textures, but you could also use cottontots, brown sheep cotton fleece, or whatever.

The KAL will "officially" begin next week, but I thought that some people might want to get a head start. Here's what you should do:
1. Find yarn you like, and buy enough* for your tank (*see this thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=139494&highlight=navigate#139494)on my suggestion on how to determine what is enough. when in doubt, buy extra.)
2. Take your measurements--bust, hips, waist, and hips to armpit area. You can also measure a few of your own tank tops/shirts that fit you well. Write these numbers down somewhere.
3. Scope out some free patterns online (at Knitty (www.knitty.com), or knitting pattern central, (www.knittingpatterncentral.com) or books at the library, etc) and take notice of some designs you like.
4. Look at some stitchionaries, or online for some stitch patterns that you like (think simple: 37-stitch repeating pattern might not be your best choice), and practice a few.

More directions on gauge and other stuff will follow NEXT week. The first 2 weeks of the KAL (April 2-15) will be one "task" that incluces the above stuff, as well as other essentials.

Our goal is to be finished by June 24th (that's 12 weeks) but it WON'T take you that long I promise.

Take a leap of faith! If you are a beginning knitter who is comfortable with knit, purl, increasing and decreasing, and knitting in the round, you can do this KAL. If you're Ingrid, you can do this KAL too! ;-)
You can make it as easy or challenging as you need. We will help you be successful! Really!

The only things I will not do for you:
1. The math--I will show you HOW to do the math, but you need to actually do the operations. Buy a calculator.
2. Knit your tank.

And, as I stated in the first sweater KAL... Join us! We are cool! *

*don't leave me alone. I'm still scared

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-29-2006, 08:49 PM
ooooops, sorry I didn't mean to lock the topic :oops:

post on!

CateKnits
03-29-2006, 08:54 PM
I'm scared, too. But we'll survive! I'm still about 3/4 finished with that halter top I'm "designing." I was hoping to have it finished before this KAL started, but I guess I missed. :oo:

wildforyarn
03-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Oh come on Hilde, you won't do the math for us?? Oh pooh!

I think I will try this KAL. And, yes, I am scared too. I already have some yarn that I can use, but now, to pick the pattern will be a little more difficult............ :shock:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-29-2006, 09:11 PM
but you're not picking a pettern! There is no pattern! You are making it up :-)

see! So the hard part is done! No pattern picking!

CateKnits
03-29-2006, 09:15 PM
If this is using math, does that mean I can use this bulky ribbon yarn and still make it work, in your expert opinion? Because if you say no, I'm totally open to ordering more yarn. :roflhard:

jhelanee
03-29-2006, 09:19 PM
If this is using math, does that mean I can use this bulky ribbon yarn and still make it work, in your expert opinion? Because if you say no, I'm totally open to ordering more yarn. :roflhard:

I think it will work just fine - that's what I'm planing on using for mine too!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-29-2006, 09:30 PM
yep do it!!!! ribbon would be very cool!

jamadian75
03-29-2006, 09:30 PM
Why is it that I'm tempted to join EVERY KAL I read about in here???
This is some kind of sickness! Right up there with buying more yarn and needles than I could possibly use in a year! These aren't complaints mind you, but I've heard the road to recovery begins with admission ;)

I read an article once that says when you get to the stage of "using the math" and understanding the basic construction you've essentially graduated to some next level of knitting.

Though I won't commit to the deadline (terrified of another UFO), I'd love to be in on this. Thanks Hilde!! :lol:

mintdee
03-29-2006, 09:59 PM
I am in on this one. I even have the yarn already so I have no excuse not to join, other than the fact that I get hives whenever I have to do math. :shock: I am allergic I swear.

:roflhard:

nanonette
03-29-2006, 10:47 PM
This looks like fun! If anything, it's a good excuse to buy some more yarn! :lol:

Off to research tank tops.

wildforyarn
03-30-2006, 12:30 AM
Okay, I can't pick a pattern? I actually have to design it??? That is taking a lot of faith in a scared knitter like me. :shock: I have found some that I like. Now I just need to figure out how to design something. I will be looking to you to follow some directions. ;)

Jan in CA
03-30-2006, 12:38 AM
:cheering: I can't wait to get started...but... :shifty: Math? eeek....

Mer
03-30-2006, 12:38 AM
Yay, I have some yarn I just got, but I'm not sure I have enough. We'll see!

CateKnits
03-30-2006, 12:39 AM
Come on, guys! Math isn't THAT scary! If she gives us a formula, it's just plugging numbers into a calculator. YOU CAN DO IT!

Jan in CA
03-30-2006, 12:43 AM
Come on, guys! Math isn't THAT scary! If she gives us a formula, it's just plugging numbers into a calculator. YOU CAN DO IT!

I can do that. As long as it's not like a word problem. :shock: :roflhard:

CateKnits
03-30-2006, 12:47 AM
I promise, if she gives us a word problem, I'll MAKE a formula! :rofling:

Jan in CA
03-30-2006, 12:55 AM
I promise, if she gives us a word problem, I'll MAKE a formula! :rofling:

:cheering: :cheering: :roflhard:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Don't worry, it will be plugging in numbers. Easy Peasy

countingsheep
03-30-2006, 06:20 PM
:cheering: I'm in!!! This is just what I was looking for! I am dying to try out bamboo yarn and... here's my opportunity! Having "felt up" various brands, Plymouth makes a yummy bamboo yarn!

:thinking: Are you guys sure about doing the math ahead of time? Can't we just kinda... wing it? Maybe I can bribe Cate into doing my math. "Let Cate do it, she'll do any math! Hey, she likes it!" ;)

Angela

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-30-2006, 08:45 PM
yeah! cate can be our official calculator!

CateKnits
03-30-2006, 08:46 PM
I'll do math for anyone who trusts me, as long as Hilde allows it. :P

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-30-2006, 09:04 PM
:cheering:

Jan in CA
03-30-2006, 10:27 PM
I'm struggling with the dog sweater so I may need a lot of help if the math is like that. :shock:

I'm coming up with appx 750 yds for a tank..that sound about right? I was thinking of ordering KP's Shine or Shine Worsed. Any experience with Shine in general? Shine would be cheaper so I may go with it...

kitkat
03-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Gulp. Count (count, get it????) me in!!!

CateKnits
03-30-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm knitting a halter in Shine, Jan, and I like it so far. It's very soft and easy to work with.

Jan in CA
03-30-2006, 11:15 PM
I'm knitting a halter in Shine, Jan, and I like it so far. It's very soft and easy to work with.

Okay, good to know. What kind of needles are you using? Oh and is it DK or worsted weight?

CateKnits
03-30-2006, 11:18 PM
It's not the worsted. I'm using size 4 bamboo straights (why I bought these, I have no idea, since I just don't bother with straights anymore!) and it slides fine without being too slippery.

Jan in CA
03-30-2006, 11:23 PM
Great, thanks! :cheering:

CateKnits
03-30-2006, 11:25 PM
You're welcome! :thumbsup:
I found some yummy yarn today, but I couldn't justify spending $45 to knit a tank top. :oo:

kitkat
03-30-2006, 11:35 PM
hmmmmmmmmm I have some shine - but I also have a buttload of that that lionbrand cottonease that was on clearance last year - in just about every fluorescent color they offered. DAGNABBIT! That means I have no justification for buying MORE YARN!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-31-2006, 09:49 AM
but are you SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUREEEEEEEEEEe you have enough???????? :thinking:

you should probablly go buy more, to be ASSURED that you won't run out.

countingsheep
03-31-2006, 12:47 PM
:crying: Dang it! I just did some basic math - don't rush me - and 750 yards is looking right for me too. Unfortunately that comes to 8 balls of the Plymouth Bamboo and... :help: I just can't do it.

Maybe one of you math genuises can help me with this one but... is there a formula for how much cables add to your yarn usage? This is important because I'm suddenly inspired to do something with cables and that will affect my yarn total which will affect which yarn I use. Any help is very much appreciated.

Jan in CA
03-31-2006, 02:44 PM
I ordered some shine last night!! Woohoo! I hope it doesn't take forever to get here!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-31-2006, 05:23 PM
yikes I have no idea on that one.... Ingy? :thinking:

KathD
03-31-2006, 06:43 PM
Hey,
I'm new to the forum....but I've been lurking for a while :blush:
Anyway, I just bought a silk blend from my LYS because it was on super-discount-sale. The owner assured me it would be enough for a tank(~880yds/fingering weight). Soooo, I'd love to join y'all. I'm going to need some support 'cause I'm not sure its enough yarn and I really want it to fit well.
So, I'm going to work up a gauge swatch this weekend as study breaks (yes another grad student)
:study: :X: :study: :XY: :study: :XX: :study:
So excited to be joining in instead of just watching!
KathD

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-31-2006, 10:00 PM
YAH!!! :cheering: We're glad too!!!!

Can you call your LYS and ask the owner to hold another skein for you? Just in case it isn't enough.. that would be baaaaaaad :shock:

Mer
04-01-2006, 01:18 AM
Maybe one of you math genuises can help me with this one but... is there a formula for how much cables add to your yarn usage? This is important because I'm suddenly inspired to do something with cables and that will affect my yarn total which will affect which yarn I use. Any help is very much appreciated.

I don't think there's a formula--my Knitters Handy Guide to Yarn Requirements says cables and lace will take up more yarn than stockinette, so purchase more. Doesn't say how much more. :thinking:

countingsheep
04-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Wow! Mer, can I quote you on that one? "But honey, Mer said to buy MORE!" I mean, I'm all for buying more yarn but I wish I knew how much more - that's like an open invitation to "buy, buy, buy"!

Where's Ingrid? If there's a formula out there, she either knows it or can find it!

Thanks anyway, and Mer... :heart: I'm using that one!

Angela

sogrammatical
04-01-2006, 02:46 PM
I know I didn't make it to the end with the last sweater KAL, but I also really hated the yarn I was using, both the texture and the color (it was a gift so I figured I had to use it), and I wasn't especially excited about the pattern - it was really boring.

But the idea of designing a tank top is really exciting! Though I want to make sure I pick a yarn that I'll really love, or I might just give up again. I'm looking at the KP Shine, but I'm not sure what weight I'd want for something to wear in the summer. I'm leaning towards the sport weight because I like the look of thinner yarn better.

Is Shine nice to knit with?

Jan in CA
04-01-2006, 02:52 PM
Is Shine nice to knit with?

I hope so...I just ordered about 8 skeins of it! :roflhard: Actually if you read up further you can see what Cate said about it.

sogrammatical
04-01-2006, 03:08 PM
I can't tell you guys apart with your matching avatars! I guess this is what happens when I take an internet-holiday.

I've discovered that Webs has a cottom yarn named after my hometown and I'm tempted to knit something in it just so I can say I'm wearing my town, but it's worsted weight and I'm not sure I want worsted. Also, it's more expensive than Shine, but not by too much.

kitkat
04-01-2006, 11:38 PM
Well I figure I have some Shine and I have the cotton-ease - so lets get those calculators heated up and do some knitting! I am down to the last few inches of my winter Noro sweater - so will be ready for a new project!

Mer
04-02-2006, 11:45 AM
The yarn I was thinking of using isn't going to work out for this. Luckily I have some Debbie Blisss Cathay left over from my hourglass that I wanted to make into a tank/shell. Not sure that I'll start right away though, as I am using the needles I'd need for that in something else.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Weeks 1&2... Getting Started.

Design your own tank KAL has officially began!

Our first task will take 2 weeks, just because there's a lot of preliminary stuff to get together before we actually start the design process.

Three uber-important decisions to make:
1. Pick a yarn
2. Pick a border
3. Pick a stitch pattern

Yarn:
I am recommending cotton yarn, or a blend. Make sure that that the yarn you pick is appropriate for your a)budget :-) and b) stitch pattern you choose (a lumpy yarn might not show the stitches as well). Your LYS might let you try it out before you buy it. See this thread (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=139494&highlight=navigate#139494) for "how much should I buy?" YES, *DO* buy your yarn within the next 2 weeks.

Borders:
this can be a lace edging, some kind of ribbing, picots, fancy cables, whatever you want. Nicky Epstein's Knitting on the Edge and Knitting Over the Edge are good places to look if you have those books or can borrow from the LYS or Library. Knitting Pattern Central (www.knittingpatterncentral.com) is also a good place to look (search for edge, border, lace, etc). Almost ANYTHING can be an edging, even just a stitch pattern (seed stitch is a good one).
Something else to think about with edging is how you're going to knit it. For instance, you might knit it long ways (3 inches wide and 38 inches around), and then pick up stitches for the body, OR knit it sideways (38 inches around and 3 inches high), and continue on for the body.

Stitch pattern:
Preferably something besides stockinette!!!! Easiest way to go is something that is knit over an odd number of stitches, OR something over an even number.... If you choose something that is over, for instance, a multiple of 4 plus 1, you will need to make sure that your edging "works" with the stitch pattern. Also, increasing and decreasing may be more challenging with a more complicated stitch pattern.

You will also need a circular needle (24 is a good length) in a size that is appropriate for your yarn (check the label). You will also need at least 3 ring-type stitch markers, and possibly some hangy padlock-style stitch markers. You may need/want a needle that is a size or 2 smaller (for ribbing and waist shaping) and a size or 2 bigger for binding off.

ALSO during weeks 1 and 2:
4. Take your measurements--Hips (or wherever the bottom will be), waist, from hips TO waist, bust, from hips to fullest part of the bust, from hips to armpit area, and from hips to sholder. I made a worksheet in Microsoft Word; if you would like a copy, please email me--or just write everything down.
5. Knit a gauge swatch--in the stitch pattern, AND in the border. Make sure you like how it looks. Write down your stitch per inch gauge, and your row per inch gauge. If you're going to use more than one size needle, knit a swatch with both needles. See Amy's gauge guidelines (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7177&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15)if necessary.

Finally, if you don't have some kind of knitting journal , get one, or start one--a spiral notebook will be fine. This is where you're going to record all of your information and what you did and where and why and all that good stuff. You will WANT to have everything in the same place, I promise.

In Summary:
Get yarn, pick a border and a stitch pattern, knit a gauge swatch, take measurements, and get all the supplies/notions/tools/junk you need.

WHEW. That's a lot of directions. Once you've made these decisions, please post what all you're doing (yarn, border, stitch pattern), and a link if there is one :-)

Happy knitting!

CateKnits
04-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Is the edging really required? I ask not out of laziness, but because I plan to use ribbon yarn and seed stitch and I just can't think of any edging that would look good with that.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Nope, nothing is required :-) What am I going to do, come after you??? You could do a garter stitch edging, though.

ecuzzacrea
04-03-2006, 06:15 PM
i think i'll try this!

i have a bunch of shine that i bought for gah knows what. it's just sitting there.

i hate math though - hopefully if i get stumped my math genius boyfriend will help! :roflhard:

i'm going to look in my knitter's bible tonight for some stitches and edging.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-03-2006, 06:29 PM
BTW: We'll have to figure FIT into your design. The FIT is the difference between looking normal and looking like a sausage coming out of the casing :shock:

From Knitters:

Very Close Fit = Actual bust measurement
Close Fit = Bust + 1-2 inches
Standard Fit = Bust + 2-4 inches
Loose Fit = Bust + 4-6 inches
Oversized Fit = Bust + 6 or more inches

ecuzzacrea
04-03-2006, 06:35 PM
sausage coming out of a casing is not very beginning on me! LOL

just so i'm not biting off more than i can chew....you're going to tell us how to calculate the # of stitches based on our measurements??

i'm thinking of a V-Neck that i want - is that too difficult?

CateKnits
04-03-2006, 06:48 PM
Yeah, but I think garter stitch edging would not be pretty. I'll see if I can find anything else.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Cate, do whatever you want to!!!

I've never done a V neck, but I don't think it will be a big deal. Just have to make sure we start the V in the right spot!

Yep, I will show you how to do the math.

sogrammatical
04-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Alright, I just put in my yarn order for Shine in green apple! I have a surprising amount of pink skirts, so I decided to get a color that will go with them. Last time I tried to order from KP, I had a lot of trouble and had to end up cancelling the order. Hopefully this time it'll go better *crosses fingers*

Now I just need to find some patterns I like and I'll be set!

ecuzzacrea
04-03-2006, 08:10 PM
any question: when i'm knitting my swatches do i start with the needle size noted on the yarn???

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Yes!

kitkat
04-04-2006, 04:02 PM
oh wow is me.....I was all set to use one of the following yarns for my project:

Cotton ease - in just about any color I have em all
Shine - in a pretty apple green
Debbie Bliss Cotton Denim in some funky purple thing that I have

But....I went and looked at Elann and look at this pretty stuff!!!

http://secure.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Rowan+Cotton+Tape&Cat=NEW&ProductType=5&Count=1

The colors!!!!

Zukes
04-04-2006, 04:33 PM
is it too late for me to join? This is the COOLEST /Smartest/ bestestest knit along EVER! I promise to make up the time that I've missed so far.

I've bought yarn:700 yrds of summerspun (http://www.flyingfingers.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_1629_1630&products_id=1612) in seabreeze( it is so pretty and I remembered a quote "hey, sometimes you've gotta eat duck"-gnathanial highsteinzoom and I splurged,and bought it.)

I've picked out an edging (http://tiajudy.com/scallopedge.htm)

I'm looking online for stitch patterns(this?) (http://www.knitting-and.com/photos/gallery/homeworkstitches/spider_2_image)
as we speak.

I've made a book (computer paper+3 hole puncher+scrap yarn=new knitting journal)
I've taken my measurements and written them down in the book.
I've been sketching out what I want it to look like...
I have my stitch markers (scrap yarn tied into loops) and "junk"<= loved that
Please please? Can I? Can I?
I promise to actually swatch!![/url]

mintdee
04-04-2006, 05:38 PM
:shock: Wow you are way more prepared than I am. I got my yarn and I know that I want a lace type border and thicker wider straps but that is it.
I am thinking that my hubby needs to measure me. Think that he will enjoy that? :eyebrow:

:roflhard:

Jan in CA
04-04-2006, 05:58 PM
My yarn came! A KP record I think!!! :shock: Anyhoo..I got Shine in sky. I also want to do a nice border and wider straps.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Zukes, have you swatched that stitch pattern yet? It might be kinda holey for a tank to wear by itself..... (those holes look exactly nipple sized to me... course if that's what you're going for.... :shock:) I Love the edging though, very pretty. And :heart: that yarn, and I hope for the sake of $$$ that 2 skeins is enough! (it will be).

Mint, I had DH help "measure" me for the last KAL. We didn't get very far :eyebrow:

Jan I ordered my yarn from KP last night... Shine worsted in watermelon (because I look smashing in red, of coourse). Yours is shine sport? I couldn't decide between the two... I picked the worsted hoping that it would take less time to knit!!!

KitKat, are you going to buy some of that cotton tape? I :inlove: the colors and the look of it... I wonder how it will knit up--I tend to split chain/mesh yarns like that.

Yay! Everyone is on schedule!

jhelanee
04-04-2006, 07:15 PM
I ordered my yarn off E-Bay over the weekend, so I am now (impatiently) awaiting its arrival. It is a tape/ribbon yarn, so I am looking forward to playing around with it since I haven't used that style before.

Meanwhile I just got some sock yarn from KP for my first try at socks, so that should keep me busy until I get my tank yarn.

:XX:

CateKnits
04-04-2006, 07:17 PM
I may or may not like the way this ribbon yarn ends up, but I'm using it anyway. It's Moda Dea Ticker Tape. I bought it a couple of months ago on sale and thought it might make a cute tank...but I've since remembered that multicolored things are going to make me look a little bigger than I'd like. :shock: Plus, I'm sure I'll split the yarn to bits. :rollseyes: But I don't really want to go out and buy anything else at this point (shocking, I know, but I'm about to put in a $50 order for a skirt that I'm sure I'll never finish!).

Jan in CA
04-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Jan I ordered my yarn from KP last night... Shine worsted in watermelon (because I look smashing in red, of coourse). Yours is shine sport? I couldn't decide between the two... I picked the worsted hoping that it would take less time to knit!!!

Yes, mine is Shine Sport. It was cheaper that way. :blush: I'm not sure if I should swatch in the round or flat? How are we doing this?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-04-2006, 09:21 PM
OMG!!! THANK YOU for mentioning that!!!

Since we're going to be knitting in the round, you should do your swatch in the round. Since it isn't practical to make a swatch knitting in the round (it would take too long and too much yarn), you should do your swatch FLAT either on DPNs or on a circ (staights won't work) as follows:
Cast on, and knit across in your pattern.
At the end of the row, instead of turning the work, slide the work to the other end of the DPN or circ, and gently bring the working yarn around the back to the beginning of the row. It will look like you have a bunch of strands running across the back when you're done.

ALSOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, your stitch pattern might be written assuming you're knitting flat and turning the work. Since you'll be doing in the round, you might have to change around some of the stitches. (knit instead of purl, purl instead of knit for instance). (Another reason to go for simplicity)

If you are planing on knitting the edging flat and then picking up stitches for the body, you can swatch flat. You would do this if you're edging is longways (like a long saxon braid), but you WILL need a provisional cast on for this (so you can seamlessly join the two ends).

Thanks Jan, I totally meant to mention this, and forgot!!!!

Jan in CA
04-04-2006, 09:38 PM
You're welcome! And what the heck is with the subject line? :??

CateKnits
04-04-2006, 09:40 PM
Important update in red on page 5?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-04-2006, 09:54 PM
yeah, about the swatching....

CateKnits
04-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Sorry, I was commenting to Jan. I wondered why she thought there was something odd about the subject line.

mintdee
04-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Okay I think that I am insane. I am using a dark blue yarn and I think that white beads would look so pretty along the bottom a couple rows. I don't know I am going to think on it more. :thinking:

Off to swatch!

CateKnits
04-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Beads would be awesome!

mintdee
04-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Thats what I thought too!

I still think I am slightly insane though :roflhard:

CateKnits
04-04-2006, 11:13 PM
Oh, you are. I'm just enabling your insanity. :twisted: :heart:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-04-2006, 11:41 PM
ooo yes!!! I was just thinking about beads too! Because the lace pattern I've been trying (elizabeth's lace lattice p. 78 Knitting on the Edge) SUCKS and there's no way I am sane enough to use it... but there *IS* a beaded edge on the next page I was eyeing....

I dont' want to steal your idea though :-) Maybe I'll do beads at the top. :thinking:

mintdee
04-04-2006, 11:59 PM
No its okay! We could be bead twins! ;)

Jan in CA
04-05-2006, 12:13 AM
Sorry, I was commenting to Jan. I wondered why she thought there was something odd about the subject line.

I got the YOTS part after a minute, but the IMPT part threw me... nevermind. I'm retarded. :rollseyes: :roflhard:

CateKnits
04-05-2006, 12:15 AM
I read it as "impatient" at first. :oo:

Andrea
04-05-2006, 03:11 AM
Jan, you crack me up!!

I want to play with you guys, but making up my own pattern WOULD BE CRAZY!!! There is a tank I want to make, but I have to follow the pattern!

Jan in CA
04-05-2006, 01:30 PM
I don't know about making this up either, Andrea. We'll see how it goes. :lol:

Hey Hildie...I was just thinking/wondering about something. How can we pick an edge/border pattern if we don't know how many we are going to CO? I've noticed that a lot of patterns for edges and patterns say they are worked over a certain number of stitches. If it's a small number of stitches you might be able to fudge it a little, but with a larger lace or something it might be impossible. Then again I've never done this before so.....

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-05-2006, 02:57 PM
you're right... that's going to be a challenge.

If you choose an edging that is knitted horizontally, we can fudge a stitch or two when you start the pattern for the body. You may want to consider and edge and a stitch pattern that have a similar number of stitches. (for instance, a 2x2 ribbed edge will work easily with seed stitch, but an edge that is a multiple of 8sts+1 might not). Again, the easiest thing you can do is pick an edge and a stitch where the directions say "over an even number of stitches."

If your edge is knitted vertically, it might be easier--you just have to make sure that you pick up the right number of stitches. The downfall is that it will take you longer to knit the edging. I think this is how I'm going to go.

Remember that, since we are DESIGNING, some of this will be trial and error. We might find that what we thought would work, won't. Or we might have to adjust our ideas, and "go with the flow". Think of this as an organic process; it's not going to be as clear cut as following a pattern. Not exactly trial and error..... kind of like bend and flex :)

Jan in CA
04-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Well, I was thinking of going simply with a vertical edge pattern and stockinette body.

Another concern... I don't want to have to block this thing every time I wash it. I prefer wash and wear. If I do stockinette it's going to be a pain on the straps right?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Hmm... maybe.... you might be able to crochet around the edges of the armholes (or add a variation of your edging maybe?) to help it stay flat.

Tammy6071
04-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Okay, I think I'm well on my way to being ready for this KAL. LOL I think we are all using Shine!! I ordered mine yesterday... Shine sport in green apple!

-Yarn (check)... on its way
-Measurements (check)
-Edging (check)... I've decided to go with a simple seed stitch, as this is my first sweater and I don't want to get in way over my head.
-Stitch pattern. Still looking.
-Notebook (check)
-Stitchmarkers (check)

So now Im just patiently :rollseyes: waiting for my yarn to arrive so I can do my swatches and then yea!! Im ready!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-06-2006, 06:35 PM
my yarn came today :cheering:
Now I just need to make a durn decision about edgings and stitch patterns, so I can knit a gauge swatch.

Jan in CA
04-06-2006, 08:07 PM
I finished my gauge swatch! I hope. I also made it longer and tested a pattern.. a simple seed stitch which is a little different from the regular seed. I think I might do that on the border with the simple as a pattern. :thinking:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-06-2006, 09:39 PM
eh? i didn't know there were different ones....

here's my yarn!

mintdee
04-06-2006, 10:57 PM
:inlove: ooooo pretty have fun playing with it!

Zukes
04-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Zukes, have you swatched that stitch pattern yet? It might be kinda holey for a tank to wear by itself..... (those holes look exactly nipple sized to me... course if that's what you're going for.... :shock:) I Love the edging though, very pretty. And :heart: that yarn, and I hope for the sake of $$$ that 2 skeins is enough! (it will be).

LOLOLOLOL you crack me up!!! I've done a couple of sketches, and a swatch of the edging! I may go with something else, I think that I should decide on a main stitch pattern first, then decide which edging works best with that. This is a tuff yarn to decide on a main pattern for cuz of the white fleckyness of it...would that be considered a tweed or something? the little white bits are a bit distracting in a lacey pattern...back to the drawing borad!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-06-2006, 11:28 PM
okay so snag number one for me... maybe...

The lace border I want to do for my tank KAL has an 18 stitch repetition.

I swatched 3 repetitions, and got an average of 7.25 inches per 2 repetitions, OR 3 and and third inches per 1 repetition (width wise, that is).

Sooooo if my big butt is 52 inches around, 14 repetitions won't be quiiiiite enough, but 15 will be 2 and a half inches too big.

SO , I should go down a needle size, swatch again, and re-measure? That might make 15 repetitions enough. I can't take stitches off (because the lace will be messed up), so my only course of action is to switch needle size.

I'm afraid if I leave it how it is, and I lose more weight, that it will be TOO big. Then again, I do want this to be a standard fit, which is actual measurement plus 1-2 inches....

maybe I should leave it?

:??

Zukes
04-07-2006, 01:38 AM
does the lace boarder have any stretch to it?

I've swatched for 3 different Main stitch patterns tonight...regular stockinette (dull)
the spider stitch pattern gets totally lost in the yarn...check! it's off the list
AND I've tried a different lace pattern (http://www.knitting-and.com/photos/gallery/homeworkleaves/perfection_leaf_lace) for the main...that looked aight (I was getting 9 inche to the repeat, a whopping 35 sts across-which was one whole and 2 halves which has a bit of stretch to it width wize, but how ever would I decrease and increase on that pattern? eeek, I don't want just a tooobe.)...then I started thinking about this pattern as an edging hmmmm... ....AHHH what to do... make the edging the focus or the main body? The balance, the path is in the middle ! This is gonna be a tuff balance cuz of the yarn I've chosen...HAHAHAHa I've dun myself in...(jeeze, who knew eating duck would give me adgeda? :roflhard: ) yeah I crack me up too.
back to the drawing board!

Jan in CA
04-07-2006, 01:40 AM
:shock: That is why I'm thinking of sticking to seed stitch for now.. I have a week to think about it though.

Here's simple seed stitch. I don't know if it's technically a real thing, but I found it originally in a pattern in my latest Creative Knitting mag.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/free_patterns/bee-sweater-pattern.php

http://www.geocities.com/love2knit_dishcloths/Dishcloth023

Zukes
04-07-2006, 01:51 AM
oops I quoted my self and posted it when I was trying to edit...sowwy..can someone delete this?

TwoLeftNeedles
04-07-2006, 09:51 PM
I'm in. 8 skeins of Shine Sport in Grass, swatched at 6 2/3 spi / 9 rpi on size 3 circs.

I'm gonna be a bit rebellious, though. Rather than a border plus an overall pattern stitch, I'm going to do a lace and cable panel up the center front. I'm currently trying to rewrite the directions from flat to in the round.

earthchick
04-08-2006, 07:43 AM
I still want to be part of this KAL, even though I am wayyyyy behind. I'm still trying to finish up my spring sweater! I've got one sleeve and the seaming to do, which I hope I can manage in the next few days.

Even though I'm behind, I still want to be a part of this, so I'm going to go ahead and make plans for my summer sweater. What I really want to do is design my own version of this shell I found on the yarnmarket website. Love the style, love the colors (except mine will *not* be cropped :shock: ). It looks like just a basic double rib, with stripes across the chest, and a mock turtleneck. Am not sure about how to make the arm holes look like the original, but otherwise I don't think it should be too hard. Am thinking of doing it in Merino Style, Mainline, Shine, or Shine Worsted, in light blue and dark brown. Do y'all think I would be able to figure out how to design a similar one myself?

earthchick
04-08-2006, 07:44 AM
Looking at the picture again, I'm wondering if it's actually more like a triple rib, or even a quadruple rib. :thinking:

KathD
04-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Very cute pattern, It looks like K2,P2.

nanonette
04-08-2006, 08:55 AM
I like it, Stacey!! :thumbsup: Love the color combo!

I'm super behind, too. I want to make a variation of http://www.magknits.com/Apr06/patterns/calla.htm]MagKnits' Calla, but I can't decide on the cables or the lace pattern. They both need to be simple and not too busy. And like TwoLeftNeedles I plan to knit it in the round, too. I'm keeping the 2x2 ribbing border.[/url]

kitkat
04-08-2006, 10:18 AM
I will do my measuring tomorrow! With edit: I think I need to rethink this- I looked at the shine I have - and realized its Shine Sport which a) will need to be done on super teeny needles and b) I highly doubt I bought enough of it. (6 skeins - unless there is some hiding somewhere - what do you all think?). With second edit - I must have bought theyarn for Picovolini but i sure didnt get an ounce extra which makes me a bit nervous!

So I will use up some of the cotton ease - after all thats why I bought the silly stuff!

jhelanee
04-08-2006, 06:07 PM
My mailman delivered my yarn today!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Now I can swatch and decide what stitch pattern and edging to use.

:XX:

Jan in CA
04-08-2006, 06:19 PM
I will do my measuring tomorrow! With edit: I think I need to rethink this- I looked at the shine I have - and realized its Shine Sport which a) will need to be done on super teeny needles and b) I highly doubt I bought enough of it. (6 skeins - unless there is some hiding somewhere - what do you all think?). With second edit - I must have bought theyarn for Picovolini but i sure didnt get an ounce extra which makes me a bit nervous!

So I will use up some of the cotton ease - after all thats why I bought the silly stuff!

If you go with something with more of a spaghetti type strap you might have enough. Depends on your gauge and needles I suppose though.
http://knittingforboozehags.com/freebirds/sarah

kitkat
04-08-2006, 06:56 PM
At age 46 and carrying some extra 15 lbs (and a good chunk of it in the boobs), NO SPAGHETTI STRAPS for this girl! I can always check if they have the same dye lot - i may do that tomorrow and just go ahead and order some more. And while I am at it, order some other stuff !!!!!

sogrammatical
04-08-2006, 08:39 PM
I've only ordered 6 skeins of the Shine sport and I'm hoping it'll be enough. I'm pretty tiny and so I couldn't find any patterns that would fit my measurements (30" bust, I think) so I took a guess based on what I could find. My yarn didn't come in today so hopefully it'll come in on Monday and I can start swatching. I haven't decided on a stich pattern yet.

I really hope I've ordered enough yarn....

Jan in CA
04-08-2006, 09:24 PM
At age 46 and carrying some extra 15 lbs (and a good chunk of it in the boobs), NO SPAGHETTI STRAPS for this girl! I can always check if they have the same dye lot - i may do that tomorrow and just go ahead and order some more. And while I am at it, order some other stuff !!!!!

:roflhard: :roflhard: Oh boy...I SO know what you are talking about! I wish I could wear spaghetti straps! I also tend to wear v or u necks with the body a little longer... it makes your boobs look higher and not so saggy. Or maybe it's just me dreaming, but as long as I'm happy..whatev. :roflhard: :roflhard:

Zukes
04-10-2006, 12:08 AM
hey ladies...what does yots stand for??

knitqueen
04-10-2006, 12:17 AM
hey ladies...what does yots stand for??

Year of the Sweater :thumbsup:

Zukes
04-10-2006, 01:16 AM
oh duh!....haahhahahahaha i can be such a dink sometimes!!! thanks!!

Mer
04-10-2006, 10:19 AM
Ok, I keep changing my mind on this. I may rip out another tank I did and don't wear and use that yarn to design something. :thinking:

kitkat
04-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Just for accountability sake - I have NOT measured, and I have NOT swatched - however, I am planning on doing this. I have one more week of accounting-tax h-e-double toothpicks and then I can focus on whats really important!!!! hehehehe

TwoLeftNeedles
04-10-2006, 03:45 PM
Gack! I just finished Knitting Rules! and after reading the terrifying swatch and gauge stories, I went back and did another swatch.

Wouldn't ya know, I got 6 spi instead of 6.66!! :shock:

I went back and recalculated cast on, increases, decreases, etc, but I'm afraid to cast on. What'll my gauge be next week? :crying: :frog:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-10-2006, 04:04 PM
PISH! I wear spaghetti straps often, because it keeps me much cooler. I have to wear a strapless bra, though, and although it was tough to find one in my size that actually supported the 10 pounds of boobie i have to stuff in them, I really like wearing spaghetti straps now.

How are the weeks tasks going for everyone? I can't seem to find a stitch pattern that I like that will go with my edging, so I am either going to have to change the edging, or just go with stockinette, or just use my edging the whole time, which might be cool, but I am forseeing some headaches with the decreasing, armholes, and neckline that I don't want to deal with. soooooo... who knows. .

I discorvered that my patterns didn't look right together because I knitted a swatch that had the edging at the bottom and the body stitch at the top. Actually, i knit and frogged and knit and frogged several swatches (as KK can attest, because I did several at her house!) . ANYWAY, if you're finding that you have the time, it might be helpful to do this, just to make sure they "go together"

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-10-2006, 04:10 PM
It's always good to knit a gauge swatch after you've already been knitting something... and then, work on the project where gauge matters after you've been knitting something else, too. Our gauge changes as we knit, soit's good to start after we'e already loosened up, so to speak.

Two-thirds of a stitch is a big enough difference that you might want to swatch again and then take an average....

ecuzzacrea
04-10-2006, 04:19 PM
i'm a little behind, but i do have the yarn at my house.

i know i'm going to stick with a plain tank for the most part - just need a spare night to sit down and figure some things out.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Well, since the only body I can find that looks good with my edging is stockinette, that's what I'll be doing! So I'm backing out of the find a cool stitch pattern, sorry guys!!!! You can feel free to re-nig like i did :-) (it will make your life easier, too!)

Next week is going to be MATH. You'll need to make sure you have a measurement for how many inches around you want the bottom to be--your measurement plus whatever inches of ease you want--and the gauge of your edging. It might also be helpful to figure out how many inches each REPEAT of your edge pattern is too, because you might not be able to stop in the middle of a repeat (or it will look funny if you do). You will also need to know how many inches you want your edging to be--again, calculating how many inches your total pattern row repeats will be helpful as well.

sogrammatical
04-11-2006, 08:44 PM
I made major progress today! My yarn came in and it's loooooooovely. I've picked both an edging and a stitch pattern - one is directly from Knitting on the Edge, the other is a slight modification of one from the book to make it less see-through. Now I'm halfway through the edging swatch and it's even more of a pain to do a swatch in the round. Grr.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-11-2006, 08:47 PM
yeah, I had to write in my pattern book how to do mine in the round. Lucky for me it means more purling, so the tank will go faster (yes i'[m wierd). :thinking: hmmm maybe I should try to work the edginginside out, so I can do the whole body with purling..... *dashes off to get needles*

Jan in CA
04-13-2006, 01:21 AM
I did another swatch. The original one just seemed so loose doing it flat that way and I KNOW I knit tighter in stockinette in the round. So I started flat to test it and then joined an continued. It does seem tighter so that might make a difference.

I also tried the border I was thinking of and I don't like it. So for now I'm back to seed stitch and stockinette. I think it's too hard to figure out a border pattern w/o knowing how many we are casting on. So I may change once I know that.

kitkat
04-13-2006, 07:58 AM
I am keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have to go in this weekend to work - I am "audit/accounting" and not "tax" at my firm, and I have all the tax returns and extensions for which I am responsible complete. Last year I volunteered and took on a bunch of tax work - it ended up biting me in the arse - I had to push back my work and then the week AFTER, everyone else was back to normal days and I was still working OT. No way Jose this year!

Anyhoo! I plan on going further on my Noro sweater, and swatching for this one. I still haven't decided quite which yarn I will use - I did order more of the Knitpicks green because regardless I wasnt going to have enough for anything unless it was a boob tube. Oh yeah and that pesky measuring thing too!

TwoLeftNeedles
04-13-2006, 12:26 PM
I finally settled on 6 stitches to the inch but couldn't decide on an edging so I just did a provisional cast on.

Jan in CA
04-13-2006, 01:26 PM
I finally settled on 6 stitches to the inch but couldn't decide on an edging so I just did a provisional cast on.

You already started? :shock:

TwoLeftNeedles
04-13-2006, 02:45 PM
uhm :oops: yeah...

It's all the fault of my allergies, really. I was home sick yesterday and spent the day listening to Pride and Prejudice audio book and knitting.

Check out my Office Depot stitch markers.

kitkat
04-13-2006, 02:51 PM
um I be so confused! did I miss the part where we learn what to do with our numbers? or are you just one of those people who knows (and understands) what they are doing?

TwoLeftNeedles
04-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Ack! I shouldn't have said anything! Sorry!!!

You didn't 'miss anything. I know the theory behind the numbers. Whether or not my execution will be good enough remains to be seen!

Jan in CA
04-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Ack! I shouldn't have said anything! Sorry!!!

You didn't 'miss anything. I know the theory behind the numbers. Whether or not my execution will be good enough remains to be seen!

:roflhard: No problem! I couldn't possibly start as I haven't a clue what this is all about. :roflhard:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Yikes, I dont' really have a THEORY :shifty: I figured we'd go trial an error!!!!! :shock:

TwoLeftNeedles
04-13-2006, 06:48 PM
:oo: psssst! :oo: read this (http://www.inknitters.com/Issue1/hall.pdf)

nicolethegeek
04-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Well I lucked out, I have two big balls of a nice robin's egg blue cotton yarn in my stash. I know I bought that colour to make Becka's "I Love to Knit" cloth, but I guess I must have had this in the back of my mind when I decided to buy two! I haven't swatched or anything, but I'm just so thrilled that I didn't need to go out and get more... it's soooo much hassle asking an AM to open a till on a holiday or Sunday morning, and I *know* I'd get the oddest look if the necessity that I need them to open one for is yarn!!! IT IS *SO* A NECESSITY!!! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Mer
04-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Well, I changed my mind again. But before I post anything let me see how it works out. ;)

And really, once you understand gauge it should be pretty easy to make a simple tank. I'm sure trial and error will be a part of it, but with your measurements and gauge you'll be good to go! No need to worry. :D

kitkat
04-14-2006, 09:40 PM
Well I am not working tomorrow (HOORAY!) and my extra shine came in the mail, along with the coral shine worsted weight, so I have no excuse for not measuring and swatching in the next few days!!!!

KatyKoolkat
04-15-2006, 01:54 AM
Hey Everybody!!

I am trying to knit a sweater for the family's baby number 4, and I thought this (http://www.jimsyldesign.com/~dishbout/kpatterns/ostplume.html) pattern might look ok. I recycled my own sweater (very proud-it's my fourth attempt and the only one to have turned out!!), so it is a dark green with black flecks in it. What do you guys think? Any suggestions on an edging?

Thanks!!

Edited to add: Will this work on your KAL (with your math-I have measurements for the average baby at the right age)? Or am I sabatoging by making something not for myself?

Mer
04-16-2006, 05:33 PM
Ok, so I think I'm crazy for trying this, but I'm going to design a lacy camisole inspired by this (http://www.knitrowan.com/html/magazines_slide_show.asp?productCode=ZM37&serial=59). So the yarn isn't summery--it's Elann's Peruvian Baby Silk--but it's still a tank. I've swatched using a diamond lace pattern from a Rebecca magazine I have. Which one do you guys like better? The one on the left is using US6 needles and the one on the right uses US4. I know they're knit flat, but I was just testing them out.

http://static.flickr.com/45/129626471_6a0bcc4c06.jpg

sogrammatical
04-16-2006, 07:05 PM
I've finished swatching! I'm going to throw the swatches in the laundry with the enormous load I'm going to do tonight and then I can measure them when they're dry.

TwoLeftNeedles
04-17-2006, 09:35 AM
I'm going to design a lacy camisole ....Which one do you guys like better? The one on the left is using US6 needles and the one on the right uses US4...

The one on the right. I'd use the looser one for a stole or shawl, but since a tank needs to hold some shape, I think the tighter sample will work better.

Don't forget to allow for extra ease if you're planning to wear something else under that. You are going to wear something else under that, aren't you? :shock:

TwoLeftNeedles
04-17-2006, 09:45 AM
Will this work on your KAL (with your math-I have measurements for the average baby at the right age)? Or am I sabatoging by making something not for myself?

I don't think the target user matters really, though you'll want to be careful about the neck opening. Babies' heads are much larger in proportion to their bodies. Changing the top shoulder seams to overlap slighitly and button together instead of being seamed together on one or both sides often is enough to do the trick.

It also looks like a 15 + 2 repeat with an extra edge stitch :thinking: Depending on your gauge, you may have trouble fitting in repeats. I guess you could always just go larger, as you can pretty well count on a baby growing! :D

Mer
04-17-2006, 01:16 PM
I'm going to design a lacy camisole ....Which one do you guys like better? The one on the left is using US6 needles and the one on the right uses US4...

The one on the right. I'd use the looser one for a stole or shawl, but since a tank needs to hold some shape, I think the tighter sample will work better.

Don't forget to allow for extra ease if you're planning to wear something else under that. You are going to wear something else under that, aren't you? :shock:

Thanks! I was thinking I might actually do another swatch on size 5s and see how that comes out. I'm just not looking forward to doing the whole thing on 4s! And yes, I'll wear something under it. :rofling:

Zukes
04-17-2006, 02:23 PM
I want to do math hilde, math!! Hope everyone had a great easter/passover weekend.

Jan in CA
04-17-2006, 02:40 PM
I want to do math hilde, math!!
:shock: :??

I'm having second thoughts about this. :rollseyes: Maybe I'll just find a pattern and do it on my own. :thinking:

kitkat
04-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Unfortunately I have NOT swatched or done my measuring - I was superproductive this weekend around my house and I still have tons to do to catch up.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Okay week 3!!! Math time!!!

This week, you are going to do some math, and cast on the edging of your tank, and knit half of the edging. Small chunks!!!!

Here's what you need to know:
Measurement A: Inches in circumference of the bottom of the tank, INCLUDING ease
B: Gauge for your edging, either in pattern repeats, OR in stitches.
You can not proceed without this information!

*breathe, it's not that bad*

For most of the math stuff, I'll use my measurements and gauge to show you how to do it. For this week, I will do an example using pattern repeats in inches gauge (in red below), AND an example using stitches per inch gauge (in blue below). Follow the directions that is relevant to you. If your edging is ribbing, seed/moss stitch, a simple slip stitch pattern, use the stitches per inch example. If your edging is knitted lengthwise and you're going to pick up stitches, OR if your edging is complicated with a long stitch pattern repeat, use the pattern repeat example.

There is more below the blue example that is just general comments, don't forget to read those!

Example 1: pattern repeats

Measurement A: 54 inches (I'm going for a loose fit, so I took my actual hip measurement (which is where I want the bottom to be) and added 4 inches. )
Measurement B: 3.75 inches per 1 pattern repeat (18 sts) (I actually measured 2 pattern repeats = 7.5 inches, and then figured out how much one repeat would equal from that to reduce confusion/unnecessary math later)

Now, I need to figure out how many pattern repeats it will take to equal 54 inches. I'm going to DIVIDE my measurement A (54 inches) by my Measurement B (gauge of 7.5 inches).

A divided by B = the number of pattern repeats I need to cast on, so...
54 divided by 3.75 = 14.4 pattern repeats

Now, I can't do a ".4" of a pattern repeat, so I can either round up or down. Just to make an educated decision, I'm going to figure ut how many inches 14 pattern repeats would be, and also 15 pattern repeats:
14 pattern repeats times 3.75 inches each = 52.5 inches
15 pattern repeats times 3.75 inches each = 56.25 inches

Since I am a tight knitter, I'm going to go with 15 pattern repeats. Besides, you never know what the dryer is going to do :-)

Now, I know I need to cast on enough stitches for 15 pattern repeats. Since each repetition needs to be 18 stitches (for my edging), I need to multiply the number of pattern repeats times the number of stitches in each to get the number of stitches to cast on.
15 repeats times 18 sts each = 270 stitches to cast on.

So, I'm going to grab my needles, cast on 270 stitches, and start knitting!!!

*remember that if your edging is knit longways and you're going to pick up stitches that you will need to calculate how many ROWS are in your pattern repeat, not how many stitches. if this is you and you're confused, PM me.

Example 2: Stitches per inch
*for this example, I'm going to pretend I am using moss stitch, which is a multiple of 2 stitches)

Measurement A: 54 inches
Measurement B: 5.25 stitches per inch

The math for this is a little bit easier. You're going to multiply your gauge times the number of inches you want it to get the total number of stitches to cast on.
5.25 sts per inch (B) times 54 inches (A) = 283.5 stitches

Now, since you can't cast on a half stitch, we have to round up or down again. If you round down, to 283, you'll notice that it is not a multiple of 2 (for moss stitch). SO we'd have to go down to the next multiple of 2, which is 282. Rounding up gives us 284.
Just to make sure, let's do the math and see which will be better. To figure out how many inches 282 and 284 stitches will give us, we have to divide the total stitches by the gauge
282 sts divided by 5.25 sts per inch = 53.71 inches
284 sts divided by 5.25 sts per inch = 54.09 inches

In this case, EITHER one would work out. Please make sure you do the math backwards (the last step I did, the dividing) to make sure either or would work for you. For me, since the 282 sts is almost my exact measurement, that's what I would go with.

If your edging is something funky like 3x2 rib or over 6 stitches, you might want to calculate BOTH (red and blue) just to see which one will give you the best fit.

You can if you are confused about my directions, PM me. If you need help with math, get a calculator :-) If you're not confused, but it just doesn't "seem right" please POST the calculations you did and your answers, and we all will try to help you :-)

REMEMBER, after you do the math,cast on and start knitting! We want to do math again in 2 weeks... week 4 will finish the edges, and week 5 will be more math for the body of the tank. Knit the edging as "tall" as you want it to be :-) If you have one gigantic circ you might even be able to try it on as you go along.

If the cast on number you got doesn't equal the number of stitches you need for the body, that's okay. We can just fudge it on the first row, and it will work out just fine.

:cheering: math is fun! (you can do it, Jan, promise!)

Happy knitting!

sogrammatical
04-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Earlier, you posted with how many inches of ease should be added into ones measurements; where can I find this again?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-18-2006, 04:37 PM
BTW: We'll have to figure FIT into your design. The FIT is the difference between looking normal and looking like a sausage coming out of the casing :shock:

From Knitters:

Very Close Fit = Actual bust measurement
Close Fit = Bust + 1-2 inches
Standard Fit = Bust + 2-4 inches
Loose Fit = Bust + 4-6 inches
Oversized Fit = Bust + 6 or more inches

tada!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-19-2006, 05:24 PM
I see we have some summertime KAL competition!!!! Come on people, step it up!!!!! (we'll be much cooler in our tank tops :-) )

jhelanee
04-19-2006, 06:20 PM
I'm here! :waving:

My plan/progress so far:
*Using Patons Fresco (http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=1735) ribbon yarn in "Very Berry" purchased off E-Bay.
*I had trouble finding a decorative edging that looked good in my bulkier yarn, so I finally settled on doing a picot hemmed edge. I'll use an open/provisional cast on and knit the hem in to avoid sewing at the end. :D The body will be stockinette b/c I didn't like the way patterns looked.
*Swatched on size 8 and 9 needles - decided to use the smaller one b/c the fabric isn't quite so holey. I did my swatch flat (living on the edge), but I don't think it will make much difference since my flat and circular gauges tend to be very similar and I don't care if the amount of ease is off slightly.
*Measured my gauges and the size of my swatch, washed it and am waiting for it to finish drying so I can see if things changed at all.
*I won't have much time tonight, but tomorrow I should be able to do my measuring and math and possibly even cast on. :happydance:

-----
Two questions:
1. I read a tip that when doing a hemmed edge you should use a needle 1-2 sizes smaller to knit the turned under portion. Any experience or thoughts this?

2. I am going to be putting a fair amount of shaping (decreasing for waist, increasing and short rows for bust) into my tank. If Hilde does not include instructions for these would anyone like me to post what I am doing so you can try too? Warning: there are a number of extra measurements and extra math involved.

Mer
04-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Jennifer, I was almost going to use that same yarn in a different color! I had made a tank I was going to rip, but I think I'll save that for some other time. Of course we'd love your ideas about shaping--I'm sure hildie will incluse some but it's always good to have other ideas! And for other folks wondering about designing to fit your body, there's a big section in SnB Nation about making a sweater your own that could be quite helpful. Easy to understand too!

When I've done a hem I've used a smaller needle--it's supposed to keep it from flaring out.

I think I've found an edging here. (http://www.knitting-and.com/homework/normandy-lace.htm) I still have to try it out though. I'm going to be on vacation starting this Sunday so I'm going to be way behind on this KAL I'm sure, but I'll do my best!

TwoLeftNeedles
04-19-2006, 07:53 PM
Jennifer, I'd love to see your commentary on shaping. I'm confident about hip to waist, but waist up I'm nervous about. I'm exceptionally short waisted and would love any extra math to make sure I don't end up with short rows in the wrong spots or saggy shoulders.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-19-2006, 09:34 PM
ooo great!!!! My plan for waist shaping was to decrease needle sizes... that's the easiest way, in my opinion, to make it smaller without interrupting the pattern. Still, I think everyone should post all of their ideas. This is my first time designing, and even though I understand the premise behind knitting mathematics, it doesn't mean I know exactly what to do! *

Re: Hems
In vogue knitting, it says the hem should be worked on needles at least one size smaller, and possibly 2 or 3 sizes smaller. It also says you might have to increase or decreases stitches once the hem is complete, AND the folded edge should be sewn invisibly to the garment (duh) with whipstitch or blind stitch, or sewn stitch by stitch from the knitting needle (i'm not sure about that last part). It also says to work the turning edge after the hem is the desired length.

Vogue knitting is a FABULOUS book... if you guys can check it out of the libary (or hey, buy a copy), it will definitlley help. I bought it about a month ago, and even though I haven't used a whole lot of the techniques mentioned, it is very informative and easy to understand. Good pictures, too.

*like, i don't want anyone to be pissed personally at me if their tank doesn't fit! :shifty:

jamadian75
04-20-2006, 10:23 AM
2. I am going to be putting a fair amount of shaping (decreasing for waist, increasing and short rows for bust) into my tank. If Hilde does not include instructions for these would anyone like me to post what I am doing so you can try too?

Yes Please!! I would like to doa fitted tank, maybe even cropped, and would love to see this.

Tammy6071
04-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Question, I'm trying to do my math now. I'm doing stockinette stitch for the body, and a 2 x 2 ribbing for the hem. Im going for a loose fit, but Im wondering if I should add the extra inches to the hem since the ribbing is stretchy. Does anybody have any suggestions or advice on this???

TwoLeftNeedles
04-20-2006, 06:33 PM
I should add the extra inches to the hem since the ribbing is stretchy. Does anybody have any suggestions or advice on this???

Elizabeth Zimmerman and her ardent followers suggest casting on 10% fewer stitches for ribbing, then increasing to the full stitch count on the first row after the ribbing.

Lots of sources also suggest smaller needles for ribbing than for stockinette.

Also check out this cast on (http://autoscopia.com/amelia/archives/2005/11/tubular_cast_on.html) I did it for K1P1 ribbing and it's sooo polished looking.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-20-2006, 08:37 PM
I second that emotion!

Jan in CA
04-20-2006, 08:53 PM
[

Also check out this cast on (http://autoscopia.com/amelia/archives/2005/11/tubular_cast_on.html) I did it for K1P1 ribbing and it's sooo polished looking.

That is a cool cast on! I tested it and it would work okay with my moss stitch, but I did it flat so I could do the p, k, p, k sequence. How would this work when you're working in the round?

sogrammatical
04-21-2006, 05:35 PM
My pattern is able to absorb extra/fewer stitches from increases and decreases, so I would like to try to work out how to do shaping this way. I don't know anything about designing, so maybe when Hilde posts stuff about shaping I can try to work it out? Anyone else want to do it this way and we can work together on it?

Mer
04-21-2006, 05:48 PM
My pattern is able to absorb extra/fewer stitches from increases and decreases, so I would like to try to work out how to do shaping this way. I don't know anything about designing, so maybe when Hilde posts stuff about shaping I can try to work it out? Anyone else want to do it this way and we can work together on it?

That's how I plan to do it too--I think you really should just be able to do a few gradual decreases to the waist, and then the same number of increases spaced the same from the waist to the bust. That's how all the patterns I've used do it. The number of decreases/increases depends on the amount of shaping you want, and the rows between the decreases/increases depend on how quickly you want the shaping to take place. Um, if that made any sense.

jhelanee
04-21-2006, 07:40 PM
For my shaping I will be somewhat winging it because I haven't done it before either :shock: (although I have taken a class on it and understand the theory behind it). Unfortunately I remembered after I made my offer to post what I am doing that it will not translate well to tanks with stitch patterns, since decreases and increases are used to create the shape. I will have 6 dec/inc points in my tank: both "side seams" and two darts each on the front and back, however you could always just do side shaping - it won't be as nicely fitted, but it will help. :D

For those who still want to shape along with me: we won't start shaping until after the bottom band, so just use Hilde's instructions for that. Once she posts body instructions I will add some "shaping guidelines." In addition to the basic measurements you already have done, you will want to know the distance between your hips and waist (i.e. how long you have to decrease), waist and bust (how long you have to increase to bust measurement) and, for bust short row shaping, the nipple-to-nipple distance.

I'm sure I am forgetting something. :thinking: Guess I'll just have to add it later when I remember!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-21-2006, 11:58 PM
Tammy, you know, I was thinking. I think EZ suggests casting on 10% fewer stitches to make the ribbing tighter/stretchier. If you're going for a loose fit, you could switch to 1X1 ribbing, or use a size larger needles?

TwoLeftNeedles
04-22-2006, 01:39 AM
[

That is a cool cast on! I tested it and it would work okay with my moss stitch, but I did it flat so I could do the p, k, p, k sequence. How would this work when you're working in the round?

It works the same in the round. I used it on mittens that way.

TwoLeftNeedles
04-22-2006, 01:43 AM
and, for bust short row shaping, the nipple-to-nipple distance.

I'm so juvenile. I immediately start wondering, "What if my boobs are wall-eyed? or cross-eyed?" and then... right on cue... a ditty from my childhood gets stuck in my head...(I believe the tune is "Turkey in the Straw")

Do your boobs hang low?
Do they wobble to and fro?
Can you tie 'em in a knot?
Can you tie 'em in a bow?
Can you sling 'em o'er your shoulder like cotton in a sack?
Do your boobs hang low?

nanonette
04-22-2006, 09:17 AM
[quote=jhelanee]

Do your boobs hang low?
Do they wobble to and fro?
Can you tie 'em in a knot?
Can you tie 'em in a bow?
Can you sling 'em o'er your shoulder like cotton in a sack?
Do your boobs hang low?

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Tammy6071
04-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Last night I cast on and did a small sample in the round of the 2x2 ribbing using needles 2 sizes smaller. It took me all night, but it gave me a better sense of what it would look like finished. I really liked the look of it. There was a lot of stretch, but the way it laid normal looked nice too. But, now Im thinking Im going to swatch with the 1x1 ribbing and LARGER needles and see how that looks. Thanks for the suggestion Hildie!! :D :D I let you know how it turns out!

mintdee
04-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Finally started swatching last night! I think that I am going to do vine lace (http://www.thedietdiary.com/blog/index.php?p=237)and stockinette ( :shock: ) stitch. I think that I have decided to not add beads to this one. But if this tank works out for me the next one that I make will be beaded! :D Now to talk hubby into measuring me :eyebrow: so that I can get started knitting

mintdee
04-23-2006, 11:59 AM
K changed my mind the vine lace wasn't working for what I wanted. so. I have my swatches knitted and went to figure out how many to co. What I get is
Pattern Repeat
2 repeats=3 inches divided in half is 1.5 inch. (using a chunky yarn btw)
waist measurement with ease is 43.
I get 90 sts CO
with the sts/inch I get 172 CO rounding up 174.

The pattern I used is the English mesh lace (http://secure.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=111024) which is a 6 sts repeat.

I am thinking that I should go with the 174 because 90 just doesn't seem like it would be enough even if it is chunky yarn. What do you guys think?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-23-2006, 06:41 PM
OKay, when I did the math, I got 174. How did you get the 90?

TwoLeftNeedles
04-23-2006, 07:26 PM
I get 172 either way and can't figure out where the 90 comes from either!

mintdee
04-23-2006, 11:13 PM
I got it with the pattern repeats. Very possible I did the math wrong though. I never have been very good at it. Thank you for checking it for me. I am off to co the 174!

This is kinda exciting. Designing my own top! :happydance: I will post pics when I have enough of the pattern done to show off.

:thumbsup:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-24-2006, 11:35 AM
OKAY!

Sorry this is late. Week 4 we are going to finish our edging. NEXT week is more math, and starting the body. :happydance:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Hellooooooooooooo

I noticed no one has posted since I gave week 4 directions... are we ready for week 5? Still working on the edgings, or are we ready to start the body?

TwoLeftNeedles
05-01-2006, 07:49 PM
One vote for body!

Tammy6071
05-01-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm ready!! :D :D

Zukes
05-01-2006, 11:43 PM
Awe man, I've been sooo busy,! I'm soo sorry ladies. i'm lagging behind I know, and I promised to keep up. Trust me I am still totally thrilled and gun-ho about this. Please go ahead with the body with out me, I'll catch up!! I'm still working on the edging..ug I wish I had more time these days...but you know how it goes, quack quack...waddle waddle...I've been working all I can (I started a mural this week(yes yes i'll post pics of the murals progress, that'll force me to remember to take 'em) and I am babysitting all nights this week& saturday I teach classes all day out by 8 am and babysit till late... this sunday I taught a special class(yes 7 days a week baby!) and so i'm sleeping when I'm not working. Anyhow...So I am thinking After this week I'll have time to focus on my condiment skills (ketchup. get it? get it? ha? ha?) ok . ok . I'm a big dork :doh: :D

-zukes
psssst. calgon take ma away! puuuulllleeeeease.

mintdee
05-02-2006, 12:07 AM
I am behind having to prepare for finals. So I have two rows knitted on my tank. I will catch up with everyone once the semester is over (roughly middle of next week.) :D

jhelanee
05-02-2006, 11:57 AM
:shifty: I already started on my body...

Mer
05-03-2006, 09:24 PM
:waving: Hi everyone! I'm back from vacation and hope to finally get going on this. I am way behind but I really want to give it a try!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Sorry guys, I dropped the ball on this one!!

I'm working on the directions now, it will be up later tonight.

Here's what's being covered:
Increasing or decreasing evenly across the first row of stitches to make sure we have the right number of stitches for our body stitch pattern

Decreasing over a number of inches/rows for the waist shaping.

I wasn't going to include the waist decreasing yet, but I thought that some people might need to start decreasing right away, so it's taking longer than I thought to type it all out.

Check after ER, it should be up by then!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-05-2006, 12:25 AM
For the body

If you have the right number of stitches for your body stitch pattern, you can just go ahead and start your pattern, knowing in your heart that other people who don't have the right number of stitches are cursing you. :-) You can skip all the following increase/decrease stuff... do mark the side seams though :-)

If you DON'T have the right number of stitches for your body stitch pattern, you need to get the right number of stitches for your body stitch pattern (multiple of 5 plus 1, a multiple of 3, or whatever). While you are getting the right number of stitches on this round, place markers to mark where the side seams would be... I like to have the beginning of the round in the center BACK, personally, and mark the side stitches counting from there.

here's how to figure out how many stitches to increase or decrease:
Calculate the number of stitches you have already: X
Calculate the number of stitches you need to have: Y
Calculate the Difference: Z

If your Y is bigger than your X, you need to INCREASE. These instructions are in red.

If your Y is smaller than your X, you need to DECREASE. These instructions are in blue.

Increases
X= 282 stitches
Y = 287
Z =5 sts to increase (because the Y is more than the X)

Now, you should space the increases/decreases evenly on the first row of the body stitches... if there's only 2, you can do it at the beginning/end of the round, if there's 4 you can do it at the side "seams" (not really seams, you're knitting in the round) . If there are more than 4 (like my example) you can figure out how to space them evenly as follows:

Divide the number of stitches you have by the number to increase.... 282/5 = 56.4. This tells you how many stitches should be between each increase.
So, it would look like this... [k 56, increase 1] 5 times
Now just to make sure, do some simple addition... the number of stitches you need between each increase (56) plus 1 (for the decrease) added together the number of increases you need to do (5)
(56 + 1 ) + (56 + 1 ) + (56 + 1 ) + (56 + 1 ) + (56 + 1 ) = 285

BUT NOW WHAT??? :shock: I'm still missing 2 stitches!!! :doh:

Just add those in between two of the increases, like this:
k56, inc 1, k57 , inc 1, k56 inc 1, k57, inc 1, k56, inc 1
or
[k56, inc 1, k57, inc 1] two times, k56 inc 1

Now check: 56+1+57+1+56+1+57+1+56+1 = 287 :cheering:

Decreases:
X = 282 stitches,
Y = 275 stitches for my pattern
Z = 7 stitches to decrease (because the Y is less than the X)

282 / 7 = 40.285
Here's the tricky part: remember, that it takes TWO stitches to do a decrease. Subtract 2 from the number you got when dividing.. that's how many stitches between the decreases.

40 - 2 = 38 (i know you all know that)

Again, technically, it would look like this:
[k 38, decrease 1] 7 times

but if we do the checking math:
number of sts b/t decreases (38) plus 1 (for the decrease) added together the number of decreases (7) you need to do.....
(38 + 1) + (38 + 1) + (38 + 1) + (38 + 1) + (38 + 1) + (38 + 1) + (38 + 1) = 273

HORRORS!!! 273 is 4 stitches too short!!!! :wall: We'll just fit those 4 stitches in, in the spaces between the decreases:

K39, dec 1, K38, dec 1, k39, dec 1, k 38, dec 1, k 39, dec 1, k 38, dec 1, k 39 dec 1
OR
[K39, dec 1, K 38 dec 1] THREE times, k39, dec 1

To check:
39 + 1+ 38+ 1+ 39 + 1+ 38+ 39 + 1+ 38+ 39 + 1 = 277 :happydance:

While you're doing the above increases or decreases, you can work that row in pattern, OR you can just knit and start your pattern on the next row. You decide which looks better, which is easier, etc.

Once you've started the body, you will need to think about when you want to start the waist shaping, if you're doing it.

here's what you need to know:
Your ROW GAUGE (how many rows per inch)
A: How many inches from the bottom of the tank to the smallest part of your waist (or wherever you want the smallest part of the tank to be)
B: The width of your edging (in inches)
C: How many inches you want the smallest part to be around
D: How many inches of "waist" you want (this might be 0 or 1 or whatever... this is how much "wasit" you will knit before you start increasing)

For instance....

Row Gauge: 5 rows per inch
Stitch Gauge: 5.5 sts per inch
How many sts you have in the round for the bottom of the body
A = 11 inches from hem to waist
B = 3 and a half inches of edging
C = 42 inches
D = 2

First, subtract the width of the edging from the number of inches between the bottom of the tank to the smallest part of the waist:

A - B = # of inches to decrease over the bottom half of the body rows.
11- 3.5 = 7.5 inches

Then, transfer the number of inches to decrease to the number of rows it will take to do so:
7.5 inches X 5 rows per inch = 37.5 rows
Now, you can't knit a half a row,sooo decide if this happens to you, just decide if you're going to round up or down. For this example, I'm going down... 37 rows.

Let's figure out just how many stitches we need to decrease over those 37 rows. I have a stitch gauge of 4.5 sts per inch. In order to make the smallest part of the waist 42 inches,Multiply the Number of inches by the number of stitches per inch.

Inches at smallest part of waist X sts gauge = total number of sts at smallest part of waist
or
42 X 5.5 = 231 sts

Then, subtract the total number os stitches you need from the number you already have to get the number of stitches needed to decrease

282 - 231 = 51 stitches. Fudge that number so it's divisible by 4. (you're going to decrease by 4 stitches on each decrease round)

This means that we need to decrease 52 stitches over the course of 37 rounds.

At this point my math is messed up.... I've been trying to get it to work with the vogue knitting directions, with my "hildie sense" and with random "well, let's try this..." and I can't get it to work. I think it's too late to keep thinking about it, and I want to get this posted so the directions to figure out "decrease X stitchs every ____ row Y times" will have to wait... unless someone else has the magic formula and wants to share!

Anyway, to be continued... sorry about that! :oops:

TwoLeftNeedles
05-05-2006, 01:15 AM
52 stitches / 4 stitches decreased in a round = 13 rounds with decreases

First round decreased leaves 12 more decreasing rounds to be done within 36 rounds.

36/12 = 3 or every third round.

Final instructions: 4 decreases on the first and every following third round over 37 rounds.

Sometimes the math doesn't work out quite as nicely, and you may need to decrease every fourth round for a while, then every third round or another similar arrangement.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Yeah, *I* got it to work for my example, but I couldn't trandfer that to a formula. Oi vey.

countingsheep
05-12-2006, 10:04 PM
:oops: I'm sorry to be rude and I know, I really do KNOW that Hildie is probably swamped with end of the school year stuff but...

Is anyone still working on this? I was kinda into it and actually doing real math and now... it's pretty quiet. I was just wondering. :oops:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-12-2006, 11:15 PM
No one thinks you're rude!!!! :heart: I'm glad you asked... I didn't want people to think I was harassing them :oops: since I check like 10 times a day wondering if anyone has posted since last friday.... I chalked it up to less people being involved in this KAL because there are so many other ones going on. I waited until the middle of last week to post about the waist shaping because it didn't seem like much was happenig, and haven't really seen anything happening since then... I was going to wait to talk about bust darts until I thought the need was there, unless someone needs directions before then.

Still working on mine... I'm actually still on the edging part. :oops:

mintdee
05-13-2006, 01:28 AM
I am trying to work on mine :) Just not much time lately. Summer always seems to be a busy time for me. Hopefully I will be back full swing soon!

countingsheep
05-13-2006, 09:57 AM
:thinking: You probably have to have a "bust" to need to include bust darts into your pattern, right? :oops: Yeah, I won't be asking about that one anyway so... Hey! If you use darts will it give the illusion of a bust? :happydance: This could be a cool thing!

Thanks for the reply. I hope the end of school goes well for you. We've got 2 :( weeks left so everyone here is really in the final push. I understand completely if you're not spending as much time on this as you used to - you work so that you can knit! :thumbsup:

TwoLeftNeedles
05-13-2006, 12:34 PM
: Hey! If you use darts will it give the illusion of a bust? :happydance: This could be a cool thing!

How about really big bobbles? :rofling:

I'm still working oin this. I'm up to the bust at this point and doing short rows right before binding off for the arm holes. I've no clue what I'm doing... just using the tank at White Lies for inspiration.

I haven't posted anything because I've been so uncertain of where everyone else was, and didn't want to seem braggy.

jhelanee
05-14-2006, 12:31 PM
:waving: I'm still here too!

Although I hit a snag. :crying: I got up to the waist, tried it on and although it fit, I didn't like the way it was turning out. The fabric was too thick and stiff and the double thickness hem was really to thick and flared out to boot. Sigh... So after much thought and some helpful suggestions from EZ, I am starting over. My changes: I am using a less bulky yarn on fewer stitches and two sizes smaller needles for the hem facing, and going up a needle size for the body of the tank. I still worry this may be more holey than I want, but since I appear to have tightened my gauge significantly on the main piece vs the swatch last time, hopefully it will be all right.

I am about 2/3 of the way through the new hem, but haven't quite taken out the first attempt yet. I think that is this morning's project. :frog:

TwoLeftNeedles
05-14-2006, 12:46 PM
*sigh* Just realized I skipped two rows in the cable/lace pattern up the front, which means tinking 6 rows back.... :frog:

Tammy6071
05-14-2006, 09:01 PM
Well, I am finally getting back into my tank top tonight. I decided last monday to make my mother a booga bag for mother's day. So now that that is out of the way, I can devote my time to this!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-15-2006, 08:11 PM
Sounds like we're all at the same stage... frogging!!!! :frog: I just had to rip back several rows as well :doh: According to my "calendar" (in my head) we shoul dbe about halfway done at this point... so if you're waist shaping now you're right on track. If not, that's okay, because no one will notice. My personal goal is to be able to wear the tank on June 8th, the last day of school.

After decreasing for the waist, we need to increase the same amount of stitches until we get to about an inch below the bust. I'll post armhole directions later in the week. I don't think that bust darts will give the illusion of a bust :thinking: ... it might just look baggy in the front, and therefore make your non-bust look smaller. You could add some stripes or go "grace adler" with a really deeeeeeeeeeeeep neckline to make the bust more enticing :eyebrow:

jhelanee
05-15-2006, 08:28 PM
I decided last monday to make my mother a booga bag for mother's day. So now that that is out of the way, I can devote my time to this!

Funny, I did the same thing! :rofling: She loved it. Now my sister wants one too...

And since I needed to go back and re-work the beginning of my tank, it was good to take a break from it. Now I am back working on it and enjoying it again. Let's hope the frogging is over with - although with the hemming I am attempting soon I am not sure it is (I'm messing with needle sizes, so I may end up tinking and reknitting a couple of rows if I don't like them).

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-17-2006, 09:39 PM
tank top tragedy!!!!!!!

:frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog:

I somehow "lost" 2 stitches in my feather and fan pattern!!! I can't even tell where it is that I screwed up! I don't have any dropped stitches, and I was OBSESSIVE about counting after each set of yo/k1s and k2togs.

I don't want to start over!!!!! I don't have time!!!! I'll never finish!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

wahhhhhhhhhhhhahaaaaaaaaa

Tammy6071
05-17-2006, 09:48 PM
Awww, sorry Hilde...I feel your pain!! :( :(

TwoLeftNeedles
05-20-2006, 11:15 AM
If you can't tell where you screwed up, can't you just sneak two stitches back in somehow?

Mer
05-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Hope you can fix it Hildie! :(

I am working on mine--it's just going very slowly at the moment. Hopefully I'll have some time to work on it this weekend!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Checking in, how are we doing?

Anyone ready for bust darts and armhole shaping yet? (anyone who doesnt' know how and needs help, I mean :-) )

Mer
05-26-2006, 11:52 AM
I'm thinking of frogging mine and starting over. :( It's working out just fine, but I don't like the selvedge stitches I left on the sides. Phooey!

knitqueen
05-26-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm thinking of frogging mine and starting over. :( It's working out just fine, but I don't like the selvedge stitches I left on the sides. Phooey!

Did you do a slip first stitch, knit last stitch of each row kind of selvedge?? If so, let me just say that I've done that on my most recent projects and it looks kind of weird and loose on the edges at first but it makes for some super easy and neat looking seaming. :thumbsup:

Mer
05-26-2006, 12:13 PM
No, I'm doing it in the round and left some stockinette at the sides for decrease/increase ease, but I don't like the way it looks. Not sure if selvedge is the correct term for that. :?? Thanks though!

knitqueen
05-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Oh, I know what you mean. Too bad it's not working out for you :(

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-30-2006, 02:32 PM
I feel like i started a KAL disaster!!!! :hiding:

Mer
05-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Don't worry Hildie! I'm glad that I started over on mine, because before I ripped it out I tried it on and it was huge! So I'm moving along again, but quite slowly.

Does anyone who's farther along have progress pics? I'd love to see them!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-30-2006, 09:45 PM
I keep putting mine down every time it's time to start a new ball of yarn.... In fact, I stopped knitting on it nearly a week ago and have since started like 3 other projects *sigh*... one of them IS a tank top for my niece, though!!!

:doh: and the fall KAL is supposed to start in July too!!! :wall:

TwoLeftNeedles
06-02-2006, 11:05 AM
I'm very happy with the pattern up the front. It was easy to memorize and three repeats worked perfectly. The right shoulder has been a bit of a challenge as I have to figure out where to start in the middle of a repeat when casting off stitches.

I'm using KP Shine Sport in Grass and really like it once I got in the habit of rewinding the ball before using it. It's showing the stitch well and is fairly tolerant of tinking.

I based the shaping on the simple shapely tank at White Lies, recalculated for a different gauge, knitting in the round, and the insertion of the cables and lace up the front.

The capped circ is holding the back in waiting.

I've slowed down a bit since it's become too heavy and awkward for taking it to waiting rooms and on busses.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-02-2006, 11:26 AM
FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

You can add some crochet around the armholes to keep if from curling.

Did you add bust darts?

Mer
06-02-2006, 01:50 PM
That is beautiful! I love it. :inlove:

TwoLeftNeedles
06-02-2006, 02:37 PM
You can add some crochet around the armholes to keep if from curling.

Did you add bust darts?

:oops: Thanks!

I plan to pick up stitches around the armholes and neckline for a finished edging. Hopefully enough to cope with the curl.

And yep, you spotted the short rows at the bust line.

You get a lot of the credit, Hildie.. I never would have braved something other than shawls and socks if you hadn't proposed this KAL right after I was 'stuck' with 8 balls of KP Shine that didn't arrive in time for a baby shower gift project.

nanonette
06-04-2006, 10:37 AM
What a terrific design!!! Your tank is FABULOUS!!! :inlove: :cheering: :thumbsup:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Thanks TLN :oops: YOU did all the work, though! I'm just the motivational speaker ;-)

You should submit it to Knitting Pattern Central (www.knittingpatterncentral.com) , I'll be a lot of people would like to make it. *I'D* like to make it... I think the cables make a really good vertical line, which is nice for fluffy gals like me :-) Bonus, they don't look too complicated, so even a beginner could be confidant with it. Have you thought of a name?

How is everyone else doing? I'm just finishing the waist shaping, I'm going to increase and figure out where to put the bust short rows next.

jhelanee
06-05-2006, 01:52 PM
I have also have been progressing in patches - work for a while, finish a ball of yarn, stall out... :rollseyes:

I am up through the bust section and think I successfully put in darts. :pray: Now I just need to figure out what I am doing for the top part. I want more of a sleeveless tee than a true tank top, so I guess I should go consult some patterns for inspiration. :thinking:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Shoot, I thought I posted about this, but I think I saved it as a draft, for some reason... :doh:

Check out Vogue Knitting's Ultimate Knitting Book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193154316X/sr=8-1/qid=1149866605/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-4778651-3463162?%5Fencoding=UTF8) There is a whole section on design at the back, and it talks all about sleeves, necklines, armholes, etc. It's a great book to buy, but you could probablly also check it out of the library, or maybe scope it out at the LYS.

Mer
06-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Sorry folks, but I'm going to have to give up. :( I didn't plan well and won't have enough yarn. I have learned a lot though--first of all, I like bamboo needles, and second of all, it's really hard to figure gauge in a stretchy lace pattern. ;)

So, any thoughts on what my edging could become instead of a tank?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-11-2006, 10:32 PM
scarf??

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-22-2006, 04:39 PM
Checking in... is anyone besides me still doing this??? part of me feels like a KAL failure...uninspiring and boring :verysad: I got a lot of kintting done this week, and I'm ready for bust darts--which I have to recalculate because I bought a kick *** CORRECTLY SIZED bra-- and armhole shaping. Dammit, where is KK when I need her to measure (fondle) me???

jhelanee
06-22-2006, 07:36 PM
I keep looking at it in my knitting bag and thinking "I should really finish that!" Does that count? :rollseyes:

Seriously, I have gotten a couple of books out of the library for armhole shaping ideas and am slowly figuring out what I want to do. I really should make myself finish it before I get going on the lace shawl I am planning... Maybe the forcast 80 degree weather this weekend will motivate me!

TwoLeftNeedles
06-22-2006, 09:22 PM
I've lost steam since being diagnosed. The new meds (and the diagnosis itself!) are interfering with my sleep, so I drag my derriere all day and can't focus on anything more demanding than a square of stockinette I'll turn into a little pouch for my physical therapist.

mintdee
06-22-2006, 09:32 PM
I got so busy that I forgot I was working on this. So after reading your post I pulled out my tank and began working on it. I am no where near the bust part but soon now that I am working on it :) Don't be sad Hilde :)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-22-2006, 10:10 PM
:heart: 2LN!!! but I thought you were done!

jhelanee
06-23-2006, 12:35 PM
I worked on mine last night! I may have gotten up to the armholes, but I need to try it on to be sure. I am close in any case. :happydance:

mintdee
06-24-2006, 05:34 PM
Okay I know that I am wayyyy behind on this but I am done with the lace and am ready for the body. here are my figures...

Calculate the number of stitches you have already: 172
Calculate the number of stitches you need to have: 152
Calculate the Difference: 20

172/20=8.6
9-2= 7

[K7,dec1]20

(7+1)+(7+1)+(7+1)+(7+1)+(7+1)+(7+1)+(7+1)+(7+1)+(7 +1)+(7+1)+(7+1)+(7+1)+
(7+1)+(7+1)+(7+1)+(7+1)+(7+1)+(7+1)+(7+1)+(7+1)=

8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8=160

Does this look good so far?

mintdee
06-25-2006, 01:13 PM
NM I got it now :)
Just took me streaching math muscles I hadn't in a while. Excuse me while I go take some asprine. :roflhard: :roflhard:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-25-2006, 01:55 PM
:cheering: Yay mint!!!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-27-2006, 04:02 PM
I had to frog my tank top :verysad: click here to read the tragic story (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196716#196716)

jhelanee
06-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Oh Hilde! :heart: :heart: :heart: I am so sorry for you. :crying:

I noticed something similar (although not as bad) with mine, and have a theory about why this may have happened: We have busts! Yes, I know that sounds silly, but hear me out. For guys, kids and smaller-chested women the front and back widths are both about 1/2 of the total chest diameter. However the larger the "girls" are, the less true this is. (I just measured myself and my front side-seam to side-seam measurement is 4 inches wider than my back! :shock: ) So the all around shaping for the waist part turns out fine because front and back are (closer) to equal at that point, but when you increase for the bust all over it has the effect of giving you way to much width and increased ease in back and a decreased ease in the front. I think that if you redistributed you increases so that you go to specific front and back widths rather than just the bust circumference you will remove (or at least decrease) the extra fabric on the back. That's the theory anyway, I haven't tried it yet (but may on my next designed project). :thinking:

On a happier note, I got to my armholes last night. :happydance: Then ensued a bunch of math when I figured out that just decreasing for a "regular" proportion arm hole left me with way-too-wide front and back panels. So I figured out how wide I wanted them and calculated back how many stitches to bind off or decrease to get the desired result. We shall see how well I did shortly... :pray:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
06-27-2006, 04:58 PM
OMG! You're right, and it never occured to me... if big boobies make the fronts longer than the back, it must make the front WIDER too!!!!! :doh: Well, once I am through being mad about having to :frog: I might try it again.

I had got the feather and fan lace a little wonky, and with the combination of that and the too bigness, i *knew* I wasn't going to wear it. *sigh* I figured better to save the yarn then have a FO that won't be worn.

jhelanee
06-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Well since I don't think I have ever seen anything about boobs adding width in any knitting book, it does not surprise me that you didn't think of it. And as painful as it is, I agree with your decision to just frog and start over once you realized that it wouldn't be worn.

You have been such a wonderful cheerleader for the rest of us, I really hope you do find the inspiration to try again. I'll be happy to look over your numbers/calculations and :cheering: you on if you do. ;)

mintdee
06-27-2006, 08:04 PM
:( I'm sorry Hild! I have to say that i am really glad that you started this though. I would have never tried this on my own and now that I have started I am really enjoying it.

I found that I started mine with too many sts so when I tried it on last night it was too big! but it was only a few rows into the body so I added in some decreases and will now have a ruffley lace that I am hoping will look as neat as it does in my head ;)

Mad love to you Hilde! :D

Mer
06-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Aww, I'm sorry Hildie! I do have to say that I have so much respect for designers now...who knew it would be so hard?!?

jhelanee
07-01-2006, 07:07 PM
I'm done! :cheering: Well, with the knitting portion at least... I used the 3-needle bind-off for the shoulders ( :heart: how slick that is), tried it on, and ..... (drumroll please)...

....It fits perfectly!!! :cheering: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :cheering:

DH even commented on what a good job I had done with the shaping. :D

Now I just need to deal with a bunch of ends and put some sort of edge on the arm/neck holes - single crochet I think. :thinking:

I am so excited that I can almost wear something I designed myself. :happydance: Thank you again, Hilde, for all of your encouragement! :heart: :heart:

Mer
07-03-2006, 09:54 PM
That's great Jennifer! Can't wait to see it! :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
07-05-2006, 02:39 PM
where is it where is it where is it???????

jhelanee
07-06-2006, 05:20 PM
:rofling: Patience my dear...

When I first posted I hadn't completed the finishing yet - now I have. I am still not sure how I like the hemmed bottom edge - it keeps flaring out despite my best efforts to control it. It is blocking now to see if that helps. If it doesn't I may end up putting some elastic or yarn around the inside bottom hem. :thinking:

But even once that is finished I still have to borrow a camera to get a picture. So it will be at least next week before I can show it off. So you must have patience.

jhelanee
08-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Look, pictures (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=225234#225234)!