PDA

View Full Version : Love of socks...

Rhyannon1970
04-02-2006, 03:49 PM
I'm with you! Socks are my fav..something about them, the yarn, blah, blah, blah...plus i have knit sooo many, just easy to do, like breathing..hehe

Anways, i spend wayyyy too much $ on yarn..

Rhy :lol:

rebecca
04-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Rhy.....now, how can you say you spend too much $ on yarn...NO SUCH THING :roflhard: :rofling: If we thought that way...we'd ALL be in trouble :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard:
I'm with you.....something about socks....ahhhhhhh ;)

Rennagayle
04-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Well, I'm looking forward to the day when I can say I've made dozens of pairs, and that they're so easy! :pray:

I completed my first sock recently. It was a baby sock which I made while concurrently watching Amy's video, and Silver's sock tutorial. It didn't look great, but it didn't look that bad. It was positively thrilling to have the heel, flap, and gusset all turn out right! :cheering: I just need to work on my ribbing, as it looked a tad wonky.

I want to make lots of socks, and I want to be able to make giftworthy socks. My goal is to be able to do that in time to make them for Christmas presents. I LOVE the pair you designed for KnitPicks, Rebecca, and look forward to when I'm ready to tackle them. :thumbsup:

abbygail
04-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Well I agree wth Renna. I look forward to the day that I can say I have made many pairs of socks. I am making my first one and I enjoy knitting in the round and working with sock yarn but I haven't found it to be easy.

And I am getting to the heel and it is a little intimidating. I got behind in my class on socks because the first class she started with a totally new cast-on that I wish I would have known before hand and could have practiced bfore the first class.

People here keep saying how easy socks are to make. Is it because you all know what you are doing or is it because they were easy to learn.

Maybe I should have stated with a baby sock so I could have learn the basic components first before tackling a sock for adults.

Evelyn
:wall:

Rhyannon1970
04-02-2006, 09:12 PM
It will happen you know...after afew pairs( acouple of each member of the family, neighbours, heck folks at work that ask if they buy the yarn will you knit them a pair as well)....you get used to the pattern..hehe.

My Grandfather used to knit wool socks soooo tight, after he passed I got his needles(bent REALLY badly) he could knit them so tightly the water wouldnt pass through...great for our climate(fisherman)

Ahhhh socks :heart:
Rhy :happydance:

I'll get my daughter to help me get some pics on here soon!

Rennagayle
04-02-2006, 09:35 PM
Evelyn, I was afraid I'd give up and lose patience before mastering an adult sock, so I started with the baby sock. Much quicker gratification. :mrgreen:

I was amazed and surpised at the fact that the part I'd assumed would be complicated really wasn't that compicated. :D

rebecca
04-02-2006, 09:59 PM
:D Thank you so very much, Renna...you make me feel so special ;)
Knitting socks does take a bit of practice...as in most all knitting ;) I was TERRIFIED of socks, but I wanted so to knit them...I even went so far as to buy 7" circs :roflhard: :rofling: Now, those things are IMPOSSIBLE to knit with!! Then, seeing this episode (http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_dkng/episode/0,2046,DIY_18180_36323,00.html) of Knitty Gritty & reading the notes really :figureditout: helped me to understand sock knitting. Then I found all of the wonderful tutorials & tips online...great books, etc. I am now starting socks on circs & about to (hopefully) learn different heels & tows. I just find socks FUN :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering:
I so :D happy :D to hear that other knitters are finding the joy in socks, too ;)

Rennagayle
04-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Rebecca, I haven't seen that episode of Knitty Gritty yet, but I'm sure I'll eventually catch it, since they constantly rerun episodes. I learn things SO much easier and faster if I can actually see them done first.

Rhy, that is so cool about your grandfather knitting those tightwoven woolen socks; and even cooler still, that you inherited his needles! :D

Ooh, ooh, ooh! I see that they're airing that episode again on April 6th. I MUST remember to watch it! :shock:

Rhyannon1970
04-03-2006, 07:56 AM
Yeah, i guess thats where i get it from, the love of knitting*especially socks* I imagine him standing over my shoulder & smiling & guiding me sometimes...especially when i make a mistake..hehe. But i always unwind & start again...

This reminds me of a quote out of one of Sally Melville's books "HONOUR YOUR CRAFT'

Have a good one!
Rhy :XX:

RachelJean
04-03-2006, 08:23 AM
Rebecca, I didn't even realize you designed a sock pattern, but I just checked it out and it's really cute! I think I will have to get the yarn for that one. Yay...a reason to buy more sock yarn. :happydance: Like I really need a reason. :rollseyes:

rebecca
04-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Renna, there are a great deal of tips on the episode site, too :D
Thanks, Rachel...I think they are fun to make & I've found that they are quite a conversation piece when people see them :D Of course, for some reason most everyone thinks it's magical when they find out that you've actually made the socks you are wearing...which is always nice :D

cozy
04-03-2006, 01:17 PM
I was definitely intimidated by socks before I knit my first pair, but when I finally took the plunge, I saw that it wasn't so bad and now, I absolutely love it. I don't know everything I'm going to knit this year, but I know I'll be doing socks all year long.

iza
04-03-2006, 03:41 PM
I started knitting my first sock this weekend. I feel I am in great danger of sock knitting addiction. My sock is only an inch and a half long for now :shock: but I'm already in love with it! I'm a bit scared of the "picking up stitches" part, though... hopefully I will be able to manage without having to rip the whole thing out! :D

rebecca
04-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Iza, there is a video of picking up gusset sts right here (http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_dkng/episode/0,2046,DIY_18180_36323,00.html) ;)
LOL....yep, sock addiction is pretty common :roflhard: :rofling: