PDA

View Full Version : Continental knitting

cookworm
04-03-2006, 11:47 PM
I've been looking at the VERY HELPFUL (thank you, Amy!!!!) knitting videos on the site, which has taken out so much intimidation of some of the different aspects of knitting for me (especially how to correct my mistakes), and I have a question for seasoned knitters:

It seems that it is quite worthwhile to learn continental knitting style (I am an English knitter). Is this an accurate observation? Does anyone find that it is more helpful to learn how to continental knit?

aylaanne
04-03-2006, 11:52 PM
Ingrid knits English. I started in English and then switched after about a month. I wrap my yarn different from Amy, that's the only way I can manage it. I like continental better, but I still use English for some things.

TwoLeftNeedles
04-03-2006, 11:53 PM
I can knit either way. I find Continental to be easier when the pattern calls for alternating knits and purls, like ribbing or seed stitch because flicking the yarn forward and back is so easy with the left hand.

I find English to be easier when the pattern calls for many decreases (like lace) or twisted stitches, because these stitches tend to be tighter and getting the working yarn back through them is easier if I'm tugging on it from the right.

I use both when knitting Fair Isle or stranded patterns, with one color yarn in each hand. I have to be careful, though, because my Continental gauge is looser than my English.

rebecca
04-04-2006, 12:32 PM
There are many English knitters here, as well as conti knitters...it's all in what you are comfy with, I think ;) I began knitting English & switched to conti knitting about a year after I began. I now do both, depending on the project. I find that I have a bit more speed with conti knitting, but not too much faster than when I was knitting English ;)

Jax3303
04-04-2006, 01:22 PM
I can knit both English and Continental, but English is easier for me and it's what i do the most of. Whichever style you choose dosen't matter as long as you get the desired fabric. Do whichever you're most comfortable with.

cheesiesmom
04-04-2006, 01:36 PM
I started out English, but I learned Continental (via Amy's superior vids). At first Conti seemed awkward and I would revert to English. But I stuck with it and made myself use the continental style, mainly bc my tension is better (more even). I find it really fast (well, for me) on ribbing and stockinette (such as the foot of a sock). Lace patterns I find I use a little of both, but I try to stick with continental. It's been about a year and I'm beginning to find English to be the more awkward of the two methods.

It's been a plus for me to learn continental; but I probably could have gone on for 40 more years without having to change. Ya gotta do what's best for you.

KathD
04-04-2006, 07:46 PM
I learned to knit English-style from my Mom. I tried continental, reading EZ, but couldn't get the hang of her purling. Then I tried again with Amy's video and now I'm a happy convert to continental knitting. Its faster for me. I also like it when knitting with two colors. I knit one color continental and one color English. Much faster!! :happydance:

roxtarchic
04-05-2006, 12:25 PM
my sister... who inspired me to knit in the first place (ok so it was a lil bit of sibling rivalry there).... knits English style... but me, i'm continental, & we both have NO IDEA how that happened, she initially showed me how to knit... i also hold the yarn between my ring & middle fingers... so i think it really IS about whats most comfortable...

i'm sure my sister would knit as fast as i... (if we were to take the sibling rivalry to a whoooooole new level) altho i do think continental knitting might aide speed... in that its more of a fluid motion (hmmm easter might be interesting this year! hahah)

dustinac
04-05-2006, 12:29 PM
I started out knitting English and then switched cause I felt more comfy with it... my mom knits English and so does the LYS instructor and man she can make those needles fly... I think its just what you get used to.. I've been practicing both ways for color changes and find my tension is really bad with English but still practicing with it lol