PDA

View Full Version : three needle bind off with this pattern

daisy
04-04-2006, 04:24 PM
I'd like to try the three needle bind off for the sweater I'm making, but I have a couple of questions. :)

1) Do all the needles have the be the same size? I haven't quite amassed a collection of needles yet. I have 2 of 9, 10, 10.5 needles. I'm knitting on size 10 needles. So could I do the bind off with a third 10.5 needle? Or should I just stick to a regular bind off?

2) Shape shoulders: Cast off 12 (13-14) sts beg next 2 rows, then
12 (13-13) sts beg following 2 rows. Leave remaining 35 (35-37) sts on
a stitch holder.
This is the last bit in my pattern. So instead of binding off the 12 stitches, would I just leave them on the needle, and bind off at the end? ie, when I go to join the front and back?

Ingrid
04-04-2006, 05:11 PM
You can do short row shaping for the shoulders if you want them to be sloped like the pattern says. It's not essential--purely a personal choice.

Since they only are shaped in two steps, I don't think I'd bother with the short rows.

You can use the 10.5 needle for the bind off, I'm sure. I don't think it would be too loose at all, but I'd be more nervous about the 9 making it too tight.

I usually just put the first set of shoulders on an extra needle or waste yarn and then do three-needle bind off when all the shoulders are done. I have to say it is the best finishing technique I know. It makes such a difference!!

daisy
04-04-2006, 05:34 PM
awesome, thank you! :)