PDA

View Full Version : Summertime Cardi KAL - AKA We Have No Idea What We're Doing!

CarmenIbanez
04-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Okay, I am going to start this (http://www.lanagrossa.com/service/mdm/04_2006/index.html) cardigan as a gift for my mom for mother's day. Anyone want to join me? I bought yarn from this (http://www.pagelinx.com/cgi-shopper/loadpage.cgi/smileysyarns/ezshopper?user_id=id&file=iriot.htm) site called Filatura Lanarota Royal Linen in Blush. I am pretty sure that yarn is discontinued, so I bought a lot!

I will start as soon as my yarn arrives. I am very nervous as this project is definitely kicking it up a notch compared to what I have done before.

Okay, there's been a lot of comments about how hard this looks. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING either, so don't be afraid. I have learned so much from the projects I have tried that have pushed me past the limits of my skills. Come on, join me!

Here is the pic:

Jan in CA
04-06-2006, 02:16 PM
That's a beautiful sweater! I'm already doing the sweater KAL right now, but I think this might be a bit over my head at this point anyway. :rollseyes:

BTW..your yarn link to goes to a bunch of different yarns.

CarmenIbanez
04-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Ooops! I'll fix the link.

This is way over my head too, but that has been the only way I have learned so far, so I am going for it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jan in CA
04-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Ooops! I'll fix the link.

This is way over my head too, but that has been the only way I have learned so far, so I am going for it. I'll let you know how it goes.

The link it still the same. :?? Maybe you should just tell us what you got. :roflhard:

CarmenIbanez
04-06-2006, 02:30 PM
That is what I just did SMAR-T-PANTS! :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
04-06-2006, 02:53 PM
That is what I just did SMAR-T-PANTS! :thumbsup:

:oops: Oops! http://www.smilieland.com/graphics2/la1.gif.... running to get more coffee...

Angelia
04-07-2006, 01:09 AM
That sweater is just beautiful! I wish I could join right now...:(

CarmenIbanez
04-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Well, I have to make it, even though there aren't any takers for the KAL. I guess I'll be an expert by the time someone else can join. Now if only my yarn would ARRIVE!

Cristy
04-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Carmen--I just got frustrated w/ the stupid bunny pattern...I don't think I could handle this or I'd be right there with you...it's really beautiful...I try to kick it up a notch here and there too to learn but lately thats been biting me in the butt...

CarmenIbanez
04-07-2006, 03:58 PM
The knitting experience is so interesting! I have had trouble on the EASIEST of patterns and then breezed through things that should be hard. I never know what will happen when I start a new pattern. I think I like that about knitting. It truly is an adventure.

Cristy
04-07-2006, 04:43 PM
I know what you mean....I do like that about it...I'm just restless with it lately....I'm hoping the socks I plan to start next will help with that.

Good luck w/ this--I can't wait to see pics...it really is beautiful!

CarmenIbanez
04-19-2006, 01:52 PM
Okay, my yarn arrived and I am starting to swatch. The pattern is a small, so it will be interesting to see how my swatching turns out. I sort of need something in between a small and medium. As much as the pattern reads difficult, the basic pattern does not look all that complicated. These patterns that are translated can seem strange, but once you get over the language issue, it makes sense.

I CANNOT find some of my boye needlemaster set. It's driving me CRAZY!

CarmenIbanez
04-20-2006, 05:28 PM
Okay, so I started my swatch today, and I am so glad because I needed practice on the pattern. Check out how jacked up I made it! But anyway, a little more swatch and then I am off and going.

jamadian75
04-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Lovely swatch! It shows that the yarn is really going to show that pattern well. :inlove:

Angelia
04-20-2006, 07:33 PM
Yes, very nice yarn choice! The swatch looks great!

horve1
04-20-2006, 07:41 PM
WOW!!! Killer sweater, and the yarn does show the pattern well. I have too much on my list to get into the KAL, but I will be checking to see your wonderful WIP.

CarmenIbanez
04-21-2006, 10:57 AM
I'm feeling like this is a cross between a "Watcha Knittin'" post, a "blog" and a "Knit Along". Anyway, the pattern is a little messed up on my swatch, but I have it down now and can start it. So far, it seems to be one of those patterns that looks much harder than it is.

CarmenIbanez
04-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Kni-TING with my self, OH OH OH, Kni-Ting with my-seeeelf.

Anyway. The guage was a little small and I was having trouble measuring the swatch, which they made me do in pattern. But it still looked a little small, so I am re-swatching. I have never been much for swatching, so I am enjoying the process. I hope to start the pattern itself tonight.

CarmenIbanez
04-24-2006, 12:20 PM
I have started the left front piece. I have been decreasing to fit the waist and am just about ready to start increasing again for the boobies! :-)

Angelia
04-25-2006, 07:50 AM
That lace pattern is gorgeous! :inlove:

gmadat
04-27-2006, 03:31 PM
How is the yarn to work with? I was just considering purchasing some myself, so I Googled it and hit your forum discussion. I'm wanting to make a raglan sweater, but without lace. Does it work up nicely? Is it cooperative? I guess I'm asking if it is a pleasure to knit with?

Kay

allegra918
04-27-2006, 11:52 PM
What a great cardi. I just downloaded the pattern to find it in German!!!! (and then in English right after,phew :rollseyes: ).... I will think of making it this fall sometime, so I look forward to seeing the progress. The pattern DOES look complicated, glad to hear that it looks harder than it is!

CarmenIbanez
05-01-2006, 12:34 PM
How is the yarn to work with? I was just considering purchasing some myself, so I Googled it and hit your forum discussion. I'm wanting to make a raglan sweater, but without lace. Does it work up nicely? Is it cooperative? I guess I'm asking if it is a pleasure to knit with?

Kay

Well, it is fairly easy to work with. It doesn't split much, which I think is a result in the viscose content. The color is not consistent, as it looked in the photos. I bought the blush color, and it is more of a mix of that and a linen shade. It also has what I call "twigs" woven into it. Little pieces of linen that are almost like wisps of bark. It sounds weirder than it is. I actually really like the yarn. It is fairly forgiving for a yarn with little give. But because of the viscose, it keeps its shape really well.

CarmenIbanez
05-02-2006, 01:59 PM
The armholes look a little small to me so far, but I am reserving absolute panic until the whole thing is done. I can always add more to the top of this piece if I have to.

So I am on the Right front now. When that is finished I start the back. Then the sleeves. I have until May 12th. I think I can actually do it. Once you have the hang of the pattern, it goes quite quickly.

Angelia
05-02-2006, 03:08 PM
:inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

CarmenIbanez
05-08-2006, 03:05 PM
One week and counting. I think I will be pulling an all nighter on Friday to get this done. I have the back piece 1/4 done and two sleeves to go, but the sleeves are a lot of yarn overs and so they will go quickly. Here is a pic of the front panels. Unblocked, so yes, imperfect. I found a mistake already. So far only one and am considered repairing it, but that will be last thing I do.

I am so proud of myself for really pushing the envelope in terms of my skills and what not. If I can do this, I can do anything!

Angelia
05-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Beautiful!! :inlove: :inlove:

gimmesanity
05-08-2006, 10:35 PM
Wow, Carmen, that's really coming along beautifully. Your yarn choice is awesome, too. Can't wait to see it done!

jamadian75
05-09-2006, 12:27 PM
I can't believe I'm just seeing this for the first time - GORGEOUS.

What great choices of color and yarn and you really are doing some skilled knitting. Way to go!!

CarmenIbanez
05-23-2006, 01:55 PM
I am still working on the back piece. It is going slowly, but I am still working on it. Wishing I was further along. Will post another pic today.

CarmenIbanez
06-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Okay, I am back in the saddle. After complaining that I just couldn't pick up the needles, I just finished two rows. I made myself get started again, and it feels great. I need to finish this back piece and make some sleeves. Or maybe, I'll make it sleeveless! :roflhard: :roflhard:

Will post a pic later.

CarmenIbanez
06-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Here is where I am at. I have 1 1/2 sleeves left to do, they seem to work up pretty quickly. I am going to start blocking the pieces that are done. Do I block first and then crochet the edge? It says to block all the pieces, seam them, and then do the edging. Thoughts?

CarmenIbanez
06-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Here is where I am at. I have 1 1/2 sleeves left to do, they seem to work up pretty quickly. I am going to start blocking the pieces that are done. Do I block first and then crochet the edge? It says to block all the pieces, seam them, and then do the edging. Thoughts?

CarmenIbanez
06-29-2006, 12:54 PM
I have finished all the pieces and today I start blocking, yay! I hope to be able to seam and finish tomorrow, as my mom will be here. Yippeeeeeee!

CarmenIbanez
07-24-2006, 06:40 PM
HERE it is!!! It's done! It's delivered. I love it. My mom loves it. I can't believe I did it. Her first question was, OMG did you KNIT this? OMG!

Anyway. I am so glad I picked a project out of my skill set. I learned so much and now feel I can knit about anything!

SimplyKaar
07-25-2006, 07:27 AM
:cheering:

It is gorgeous!!! :inlove: and the pattern is bookmarked ;)

Not sure if I'll have the nerve to start something big like that, i've only done smaller items sofar but it'll be a nice thing to maybe do this winter while waiting for spring to arrive and to wear it then :D

I only now read this whole thread and I'll be keeping your comments in mind; that it usually looks harder than it really is and that by simply jumping in and doing it, you'll learn it quickly enough. That's true for most things so why not for knitting aswell right?

Anyway: congratulations on an awsome job here!!! I'm sure your mom will enjoy this for a long time to come. :thumbsup:

Jeep_Girl
07-25-2006, 08:29 AM
So Beautiful!!! :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Angelia
07-25-2006, 08:33 AM
It's an heirloom, Carmen! Wow!! I love everything about it. Pat yourself on the back for doing something new--you tackled it, stuck with it, and DID it so beautifully! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

CarmenIbanez
07-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Thank you all so much. It really was much easier than I thought it would be. Here are the things I learned that are most important for this project:

1) The stitch pattern is easy, but you have to count your stitches EVERY row. One stitch off will throw off the whole pattern.

2) Mistakes on the decreases and increases are okay on the edges, provided you mirror them in the other pieces. That is what I did after I realized that I did not do the proper number of rows between increases and decreases on the first front pattern.

3) Blocking fixes almost everything.

4) A small mistake here and there make the garment real, unique and completely yours. My sweater is not perfect, but it is perfect to me and I know it is perfect to my mom.

5) You can get away with making it a one button sweater if you want. :-)

Oh yeah and:

6) Make your own pattern diagram. The stitch pattern is shown in a block of several stitches, and then they tell you to "repeat the stitch pattern" a certain number of times. I found it was much easier to go into excel and just do the diagram including the edge stitch and border, so I could just look at that the whole time.

7) Last but most important, I learned to read the WHOLE pattern several times before you start the first piece. And then re-read the whole pattern occaisionally during the process.

Freyja
07-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Congratulations :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
It is beautiful!

jamadian75
07-28-2006, 06:35 AM
:cheering: Fantastic!!

Way to push yourself and with such lovely success! :thumbsup:

RachelJean
07-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Carmen, that sweater is gorgeous and your willingness to just jump in and try it is really an inspiration, especially since you made it as a gift.

Andrea
07-30-2006, 09:18 PM
:inlove: Absolutely Stunning!! Great job!!! :thumbsup:

Debbie
08-01-2006, 06:59 AM
That is beautiful! Please post it on the wip/fo thread so EVERYONE can see it. SO PRETTY!!!!