PDA

View Full Version : kinda serious ? - dangers of knitting in the car

hedgewick
04-09-2006, 05:02 PM
I like knitting in the car on long trips but it drives my Husband nuts when I do it. He says it's really dangerous because if we were in an accident I could stab myself with the needle and be seriously injured or worse. I see his point (no pun intended) but I've never heard of anyone being unjured while knitting in the car. What is everyone's thoughts on this? Anyone heard of someone hurt because of in-car knitting? Is it something you even worry about?

Jan in CA
04-09-2006, 05:08 PM
I like knitting in the car on long trips but it drives my Husband nuts when I do it. He says it's really dangerous because if we were in an accident I could stab myself with the needle and be seriously injured or worse. I see his point (no pun intended) but I've never heard of anyone being unjured while knitting in the car. What is everyone's thoughts on this? Anyone heard of someone hurt because of in-car knitting? Is it something you even worry about?

What if you use circulars? They are a lot less lethal IMO. Even though they do have points I don't think they'd impale you.

Cristy
04-09-2006, 07:06 PM
I think that if you look at things from that perspective, then everything in your car thats not secure is dangerous--cans of soda, a purse, car charger for a cell phone, etc. All of these things could knock you out if you were hit hard enough--kwim? Sounds dh is being super cautious and protecting his loved ones--I guess it's just all in how you look at it and what you are comfortable with!

kayeknit
04-09-2006, 07:07 PM
I do not knit in the car. I have thought about the dangers of it, too. Personally, I agree with your DH. I just don't think it's worth the risk.

rebecca
04-09-2006, 07:58 PM
:D Ahhh, I must knit on road trips ;)

IrishBaby
04-09-2006, 08:00 PM
I knit at stoplights. I get a lot done. :)

I get sick, so I can't knit in the car, but I think that if the accident were serious enough that you impaled yourself with a needle, chances are good you'd have other things to worry about. :)

Ingrid
04-09-2006, 08:24 PM
but I think that if the accident were serious enough that you impaled yourself with a needle, chances are good you'd have other things to worry about. :)

I totally agree. In order to be impaled with a knitting needle, you'd have to be holding it with a death grip as your body was thrown onto it. Even it it got wedged somewhere and it could impale you, the force would be tremendous.

I can't imagine anything happening with circs, though, under any circumstances, unless you decided to strangle someone in the car. ;)

I always felt it would be rather ironic if I died in a knitting accident. :rollseyes: :rofling: ;)

Danielle
04-09-2006, 08:25 PM
My dad thinks its dangerous too. I usually take a sock to knit on while in the car. He says if it looks like we're going to be in an accident, to throw those "toothpicks" (what he calls DPN's) into the back of the car! :roflhard:

Friskums
04-09-2006, 08:32 PM
To be honest, I think that's a little over protective. Technically you can impale yourself on anything, if given enough speed and force.
Yeah, there's a possibilty of injury. But I agree with IrishBaby...if the accident is bad enough to be injured with knitting needles, you most likely have more to worry about.

dustinac
04-09-2006, 08:36 PM
I drive dh crazy if I'm not knitting.. did you see that? watch out? don't get so close.. how fast are we going..or do a death grab on his leg as I suck all the air out of the car lol when we get ready to leave he says do you have your knitting ready? :lol: like others have said if it did then I'll prolly have alot to worry about...

knitterma
04-09-2006, 09:09 PM
:rofling: The responses to this thread are a lot funnier than I'd imagined they'd be. :rofling:

I think DH loves that I knit in the car, because it means I'm not driving (he loves to drive our new car), and also not nagging about his driving.

hedgewick
04-09-2006, 10:27 PM
I like the idea of circular needles in the car. Seems like a good compromise. And if I did die it would be a good way to go. At least I'd be happy knitting!

Curlykat
04-09-2006, 10:31 PM
I'll knit in the car, but my one compromise is my cable needle, which I usually hold in my mouth when I'm at home, but I don't want to have that poke me to death in the back of my throat if we got in a car accident, so I just put it on my lap.

04-09-2006, 11:39 PM
I always felt it would be rather ironic if I died in a knitting accident. :rollseyes: :rofling: ;)

:rofling: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Oh my god, too funny Ingrid...

glomper
04-09-2006, 11:46 PM
This thread reminds me of some "urban myths" I used to hear as a teenager - at least I hope they were myths, about people picking their noses at the time of impact and their fingers going further than they intended and even worse stories.

My car is a hazard anyway as between DH and my children we have all sorts of junk loose in the car incl. fire extinguisher, 1st aid kit, misc toys, umbrellas, rubbish, clothing etc, sometimes tools, shoes. I am sick of constantly nagging the family to remove their junk from the car, so if we do have an accident I will have alot more to worry about flying through the car than a knitting needle or two.

kayeknit
04-10-2006, 07:26 AM
[quote="Ingrid"]
I totally agree. In order to be impaled with a knitting needle, you'd have to be holding it with a death grip as your body was thrown onto it. Even it it got wedged somewhere and it could impale you, the force would be tremendous.

Actually, the force of an airbag IS tremendous, and that's what I was thinking about. My husband had to attend traffic school recently, and was told some real horror stories about accidents involving airbags and other items we don't tend to think about in cars. I just don't think it's worth the risk. Why not READ a knitting book, or look over patterns, etc. while in the car? ;)

Angelia
04-10-2006, 08:30 AM
I don't know your dh, obviously, and don't want to presume I do, but maybe when you knit, he's bored because you're not talking to him as much as you might otherwise. That's the reason my dh doesn't want me knitting in the car. I'm not saying he isn't concerned for your safety, certainly, just that there may be something else going on, too.

Anya
04-10-2006, 08:42 AM
I drive dh crazy if I'm not knitting.. did you see that? watch out? don't get so close.. how fast are we going..or do a death grab on his leg as I suck all the air out of the car lol when we get ready to leave he says do you have your knitting ready? :lol: like others have said if it did then I'll prolly have alot to worry about...

OMG, this is me- DH hates it- I gasp at every breaklight :lol: He prefers it when I knit, but he does worry about an air bag sending that needle flying into my somewhere :rollseyes:

brendajos
04-10-2006, 10:12 AM
i don't know, i just think there are more likely dangers in our worlds than this. Could it happen? sure i suppose it could...but if i considered everything that COULD happen, i would remove everything from my house and live nekky in a padded room! i just think we have become a society that is scared of everything (and yes i DO have someone to blame for that but that is for a different rant) which is starting to paralyze us. Heck our parents gave us pointy steel darts and sent us outside to play and we survived it! I think we need to get back to worrying about why are parents were trying to kill us with lawn darts and not fret about knitting in the car! :rofling:

samm
04-10-2006, 04:23 PM
I've wondered if a needle would deflate the airbag before it does its duty, so I always ask the DH to let me know if we're about to crash so I can throw my knitting on the floor of the car!!! Of course I'd worry about the knitting getting dirty while we're crashing..... :roflhard: samm

Ingrid
04-10-2006, 04:26 PM
I've wondered if a needle would deflate the airbag before it does its duty, so I always ask the DH to let me know if we're about to crash so I can throw my knitting on the floor of the car!!! Of course I'd worry about the knitting getting dirty while we're crashing..... :roflhard: samm

And I can imagine my bloodied hand reaching out from the stretcher as I gasp. . . just give me my knitting so I'll have something to do in the hospital!

aylaanne
04-10-2006, 04:34 PM
And I can imagine my bloodied hand reaching out from the stretcher as I gasp. . . just give me my knitting so I'll have something to do in the hospital!
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: that'd be me, too. :lol:

Angelia
04-10-2006, 11:29 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Go back to the crash site...one of my dpns is missing!

Ronda
04-11-2006, 06:06 AM
:rofling: The responses to this thread are a lot funnier than I'd imagined they'd be. :rofling:

I was thinking the same thing! :roflhard:

dustinac
04-11-2006, 08:33 AM

OMG, this is me- DH hates it- I gasp at every breaklight :lol: He prefers it when I knit, but he does worry about an air bag sending that needle flying into my somewhere :rollseyes:

:cheering: yeah I'm not alone!! :rofling:

I asked dh what he thought he said I think I have more of a worry of you not knitting than you causing me to wreck... :oops:

:roflhard: :rofling: Ingrid so true.....

samm
04-11-2006, 09:19 AM
So it's almost unanimous? We all want to be warned about impending crashes so we can not impale the airbag which will save us for future knitting? And we want said knitting saved first.... all bits of it, including the markers which likely have flung themselves to safety in weird places under the seats and in the air vetts. That said knitting will accompany us in the ambulance, and will be finished even if both our arms are in casts up to the shoulders? Do we have consensus here!? :XX: :roflhard: samm

Ingrid
04-11-2006, 09:55 AM
I believe we do! :thumbsup:

brendajos
04-11-2006, 09:57 AM
:thinking: hmmm....maybe some kind of medic alert type bracelet or card for our wallets? "My name is Brenda...My phone number is XXX-XXXX...My emergency contact is blah blah blah...please grab the knitting first!"

HollyP
04-11-2006, 10:06 AM
:thinking: hmmm....maybe some kind of medic alert type bracelet or card for our wallets? "My name is Brenda...My phone number is XXX-XXXX...My emergency contact is blah blah blah...please grab the knitting first!"
:roflhard: Can you imagine the look on the paramedics face reading it?Something like this :shock: or this :?? perhaps :rollseyes: Unless the paramedic was a knitter or married to a knitter! :roflhard:

dustinac
04-11-2006, 10:39 AM

:roflhard: :roflhard:

brendajos
04-11-2006, 10:41 AM
oooooooooooooooh and you know how you can get those stickers for your house to alert firefighters that there are pets inside...maybe you can get one of those to alert them that there is yarn inside...please save the yarn!

dustinac
04-11-2006, 10:42 AM
:oops: I've been wondering about a fire safe box for my yarn.. I have one for our important papers...

Pixywhispers
04-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Yall are hilarious!

I was knitting in a car accident a few months ago. We hydroplaned and hit the barrier 3 times, the car spun through all four lanes of traffic on most of those spins.

I was raised by a woman who was overly cautious about everything. But Ive recovered from it. But I hadnt realized till now that it did change my in car knitting habits. I was knitting my first sock at the time of the accident on dpns. One ended up in the backseat, with my kids. Yikes! I no longer knit with dpns in the car, ten points versus two points with my circs. So no socks for me till I learn how to do them on circs. I also keep a cleaner vehicle. They used to call it my purse on wheels.

I also think that I handled the uncertainty of the actual accident very well because I had been knitting. Physically I recovered from this accident better then any other accident I have been in. And this was the worst accident I have ever been in.

My air bag did not deploy, but I do remember putting my knitting down by my knees, I held it till I was getting the kids out of the truck.

And yes before the wrecker took the truck I did grab my knitting bag. There was a twinge of pettiness when I grabbed my bag (20 min after the accident), but I knew my after care recovery depended on finishing that sock. :) And I was releaved that dh was real cool about it. Even brining me a loose ball of yarn he found.

It hasnt stopped me from knitting in the car. And I agree if the accident is bad enough the needle in me is probably the least of my problems. Dh likes me knitting in the car, it keeps me from talking too much! :roflhard:

Denise in Michigan
04-11-2006, 11:46 AM
God bless you, the kids, and your yarn-saving DH, Pixywhispers!

Pixywhispers
04-11-2006, 07:02 PM
God bless you, the kids, and your yarn-saving DH, Pixywhispers! :P

Amen Denise!

Knitting has kept our marriage together. :) I finally have a hobby that is almost as expensive as his! And he can support me in something I love. :)

Ingrid
04-11-2006, 07:30 PM
:oops: I've been wondering about a fire safe box for my yarn.. I have one for our important papers...

Let it burn and then tell the insurance company it was your collection of luxury fibers. ;)

Pixywhispers
04-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Let it burn and then tell the insurance company it was your collection of luxury fibers. ;)

In that case we need to insure the contents for at least another fifty thousand! :happydance:

Ingrid
04-11-2006, 07:43 PM

In that case we need to insure the contents for at least another fifty thousand! :happydance:

I think that would make arson too tempting for even the most honest of us! :rofling:

Angelia
04-11-2006, 09:57 PM
:shifty:

kellyh57
04-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Ya know, I was thinking about this the other night after I read it. Think about how dangerous smoking is in the car and people do it ALL the time, even while driving. If you had an accident, the cigarette would go flying. That's something ON FIRE with a possible gas leak. Let alone burning whoever it lands on. Why is this not illegal?

Kelly

brendajos
04-12-2006, 02:43 PM
can i tell you how much it irritates me that people blow their smoke out the window and I am sitting next to them or behind them at a stop light? even with my windows up the smell comes right into my car.

but i haven't figured out a way to make it illegal to smoke OUTSIDE too!...lol

hedgewick
04-13-2006, 01:09 PM
If you had an accident, the cigarette would go flying. That's something ON FIRE with a possible gas leak. Let alone burning whoever it lands on. Why is this not illegal?

Kelly

I have a friend who was driving behind someone who was smoking on the highway when all of the sudden she had a cigarette in her lap! The person in front of her threw it out of the window and it landed on her. Crazy thing was it was still lit. Luckily, she wasn't hurt. The other driver got off the highway before she realized what had happened so she couldn't do anything about it (no idea what she would have done). Still...pretty scary.

TwoLeftNeedles
04-13-2006, 02:50 PM
I've seen someone toss their cigarette out the window and have it land in the bed of the pick-up they were driving... setting fire to the mattress they had back there :shock:

Angelia
04-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Eeek! :shock:

brightspot
05-13-2006, 02:03 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: Ok, this is not a safe thread to read while on the computer in the library!!!!!

Hedgewick,
I wonder if the police would do something if you got the license number of the car and showed them the cigarette? We live in the woods and one careless cigarette can burn it down. There was a big fire by the highway about 3 miles away from someone doing that!

miccisue
05-13-2006, 02:17 PM
The only danger I've heard of was on the MSN knitting board. Someone there was knitting while riding in the car, and one of the needles literally exploded. They have pictures of it up and everything. It just has this crater in the side of it. :shock:

The theories as to why it happened are really interesting.

kayeknit
05-13-2006, 06:18 PM
Okay. I am such a hypocrite. I knit in the car today. :oops:

photogirl72
05-13-2006, 07:51 PM

actually, that wouldn't work. In a house fire, if you have any collections, they are not covered. You have to have a seperate insurance policy on collections. That means my dolls, precious moments, music cd's, and dvd's are not covered. Oh and of course the enormous amount of yarn in my stash.

Ingrid
05-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Oh well, then I'd just have to go buy more!