PDA

View Full Version : cheap storage idea

janelanespaintbrush
04-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Hi all!

Yesterday I found a great storage solution for my knitting supplies -- an inexpensive toolbox from Big Lots! It's not the purtiest or sturdiest thing (it's black plastic with red accents), but it's more than adequate for all of my yarn and supplies. (I'm a newbie so my stash is very modest... so far.) They had a bunch of different sizes, but I got the 19" one which was only $5.99! :cheering: It has several small compartments on top (great for little doodads like tapestry needles, point protectors, stitch holders, etc.), a removable tray in the middle (for medium-sized items), and a large open area below (perfect for my denise set and yarn). I've had it for less than a day, but so far it's working so much better than the basket I used before, where everything was all jumbled up.

I just thought I'd share my find in case anyone else is looking for cheap storage ideas. I was so excited when I bought it, I think the cashier thought I was a little crazy, but so what? It made my day!

-Jane

brendajos
04-10-2006, 01:43 PM
i think the people at Big Lots (of cwap!) are use to crazy! ;)

ya know i had to chuckle wondering how big that tool box had to be to fit stash AND needles in there! it made sense after you said you were new....you are going to need a bigger tool box soon! :thumbsup:

samm
04-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Veeerrrrry soon!!! You will need a bigger box, like a trunk, and then big plastic bins, stacked up, and then.... a whole closet.... and then a room!!! That's the stage I'm at, the whole room stage. Just bought those wire cubes that can be attached to each other to file my yarn in in my sewing room. Of course I still have the big plastic tubs in the store room.... Don't worry, you will catch up to the rest of us. I think someone said the one with the biggest stash when we all are gone, wins? samm who welcomes you to stashdom! :D :XX:

rebecca
04-10-2006, 04:30 PM
:D LOL, I, too, thought that it must be a HUGE box that would allow the stash AND other knitting items to fit ;) Ahhh, not much longer..u will be using all places in your home for your stash ;)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-10-2006, 08:16 PM
I was thinking that might be okay for, like, the "car knitting" stuff. :-)

Nikki
04-11-2006, 07:52 AM
I had to read this because after only knitting for about 8 months my stash is becoming unmanageable. What is the matter with me? Why can't I see I have yarn waiting to be knitted at home and don't need anymore? *sigh* I bought one of those large plastic bins on wheels that you roll under you bed but I'm afraid to use it. If I don't see yarn, does that mean it's okay to buy more?

Good deal on the tackle box, I use one as a sewing first aid kit and now I can always lay hands on a needle and thread for a quick mend.
Nikki

dustinac
04-11-2006, 08:29 AM
If I don't see yarn, does that mean it's okay to buy more?Nikki

:happydance: :cheering: Yep!!! :cheering: :happydance:

:rofling: my dh was telling me on Sunday he was glad to see I was out of my Boyds Bear phase no more little critters coming in and trying to find a place for them... I aksed him are you hoping I will be out of a knitting phase soon? he said nah you only have that one container of yarn in the computer room your doing good... :shock: now I'm afraid to open my closets... :rofling:

samm
04-11-2006, 09:21 AM
ARghhhhh!!!!! :rofling: :roflhard: :rofling: !!! Deceiving husbands is soooooo simple!!!! samm

Cristy
04-11-2006, 09:54 AM
The best thing about having a big stash is that once it gets too large--dh's can't keep tabs on whats new and whats old! :--- :roflhard: :devil:

brendajos
04-11-2006, 09:56 AM
i think that is likely true with Dustina's Boyds collection too isn't it? :rofling:

dustinac
04-11-2006, 10:38 AM
:oops: oh yeahhhh I have so many boyds he couldn't pick out a new one if his life depended on it :rofling: When I was into boyds like crazy I had a car so I would go shopping while he was at work.. return home.. have it out on display before he returned... but now my car is still waiting for work to be done on it looks like July now for the guy.. :rollseyes: so when I go out and come back with it he is here so I thought he knew how much I had.. I guess he never opens that closet or didn't realize how fast it can add up :rofling:

ecb
04-11-2006, 11:20 AM
when I use that cheap acrylic yarns in my Multi color scarves
I use a Wine box
looks like crap, but keeps the colors easier to manage

when I M doing a smaller scarf I stack them next to each other in a backpack

ecb

ecb
04-11-2006, 11:20 AM
when I use that cheap acrylic yarns in my Multi color scarves
I use a Wine box
looks like crap, but keeps the colors easier to manage

when I M doing a smaller scarf I stack them next to each other in a backpack

ecb

Angelia
04-11-2006, 11:27 AM
The best thing about having a big stash is that once it gets too large--dh's can't keep tabs on whats new and whats old! :--- :roflhard: :devil:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

That's why I keep my stuff hidden. He really can't tell. Of course if he actually ASKS "is that new?", then I have to say yes...I just try to change the subject quickly before the question comes! :twisted:

alicia
04-11-2006, 12:03 PM
this is histerical! :roflhard:
I wonder if Boyd's bears are the "gateway drug" to stashing yarn cuz I have a ton of those and I don't collect them any more... :thinking:

It's TRUE!!! Dh are SOOOO easy to deceive! And I am absolutely, positively trying to avoid the stash question only ALL the time- esp when I keep getting those coupons in HIS e-mail for a.c.moore :oo: (doesn't come to my box- go fig!) and when I cut out my michaels coupons...

Stashes can get SCARY big! Real quick!

brendajos
04-11-2006, 12:11 PM
lol i collect a few (woodsleys and shutterbears mostly) still but for the most part my teddy bears have gotten MUCH more expensive since i discovered the joys of the artist bear! :rollseyes:

my friends insisted that i needed to start knitting clothes for all those "dirty little bears" hanging around the house nekkid! ;)

Cristy
04-11-2006, 01:39 PM
I was never into bears but I do still wonder why I can't just go in a store w/ yarn w/o purchasing some. I went to Michaels for a stitch holder yesterday and left with two pounds of love skeins and a book of baby afghans.....when I got home I realized that I forget the stitch marker and had to go back....

I bought two AND a skein of a novelty yarn that I thought might be fun to use for something...

Angelia
04-11-2006, 02:08 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

That's hilarious, Cristy!

Since we moved and I take a shortcut to avoid rush hour traffic, I have to drive by Hobby Lobby on my way home from work. It's all I can do to keep the car from hurtling itself into the parking lot and throwing me out at the door! I'm not sure, but I think the car might not let me back in unless I were to buy something knitty! Bad car! :shock:

Think the dh would buy that story?

abby001
04-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the tip, Jane. Great minds think alike! I have a fishing tackle box for my sewing supplies and was thinking that now that I've gotten back to knitting and a little crochet I should get another box (fishing or tool--I'll check out the one at Big Lots) for my knitting needles, crochet hooks, ruler, stitch holders and the multitude of goodies that are required.

My stash--and yes I already have one after only a few months--is in a couple of the clear plastic storage boxes.

Thanks for sharing your good idea.

abby001
04-15-2006, 04:48 PM
Thank you, Jane! I got my "tool box" at Big Lots! yesterday. I went with the 16" size ($4.99) because the compartment cover on the top was see-through. My longest needles fit in it so I'm happy and a little more organized thanks to you. Well, back to the knittin' :XX:

janelanespaintbrush
04-15-2006, 10:52 PM
Well as everyone predicted, it didn't take long for my box to become too small to hold all of my knitting stuff since I got another order from knitpicks this week, and just won two ebay auctions (all yarn)... Plus, I also picked up one of those styrofoam head thingies at a beauty supply store I happened to pass by the other day. (It was only $3 so I thought what the hey. I'm gonna use it for blocking hats.) Of course I'm still really liking the toolbox for all those things that are handy to have at my fingertips like stitch holders and crochet needles, all neatly arranged in their own little compartments. I may have to go back to big lots for additional storage bins soon, though! :mrgreen:

yarnnut
04-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Hi, all. I'm only about one year into :XX: . I have been storing my yarn in a plastic zippered bag that a comforter was stored in. Then I've used the small zippered ones the pillow cases were sold in for individual projects. I carry around the project I'm working on in a duffle bag that zippers. I just hit max in the comforter bag; can't help myself when I see those 50-75 yard yarns selling for 2.90, the Moda's, etc.

What about the long rectangular storage containers that are about 5" high, good for wrapping paper, that you can stash under a bed? :thumbsup:

Cristy
04-17-2006, 07:55 AM
I'm making a couple of needle cases this weekend w/ my mil...we are going to the lake and decided that we need a project in case it rains... :happydance:

Cristy
04-17-2006, 07:59 AM
I'm making a couple of needle cases this weekend w/ my mil...we are going to the lake and decided that we need a project in case it rains... :happydance: