PDA

View Full Version : this would be a great website

hedgewick
04-11-2006, 07:36 AM
I just had an idea for a website (maybe it really exists and I don't know it). Say you have 3 balls of knitpicks crayon (just an example...I don't have this) but you don't know what to do with it. Perhaps it's an odd amount that isn't quite enough for a sweater or blanket but too much for a hat. You would enter your yarn brand and type, weight, yardage and the site would tell you all sorts of patterns for things you could make with it. I always see yarn on ebay that looks nice but I don't want to create a stash. I feel like I need a project in mind for it before I buy it. Anyone else like this idea or know a a site that accually does this?

kitkat
04-11-2006, 08:59 AM
That would be a great idea - kind of like Carol's site for orphan needles. I would definitely participate in that!!

candicane
04-11-2006, 09:04 AM
I would love that! Unfortunately I am too new of a knitter to be of much help. (I am crossing my fingers that I bought enough yarn for my daughter's sweater.) Have you seen the book One Skein? I am going to see if the library has it. I already have bunches of leftovers of yarn from other projects.

Candice

Yvonne
04-11-2006, 09:12 AM
At Knitter's Review (knittersreview.com) they have one section that shows what to make if you have some certain number of yards of yarn. Like what can I make with 100, 200 yards, etc. Then I think people make suggestions.

It's the forums section, down near the bottom of the page under the heading "What Should I Make With It?"

hedgewick
04-11-2006, 09:16 AM
At Knitter's Review (knittersreview.com) they have one section that shows what to make if you have some certain number of yards of yarn. Like what can I make with 100, 200 yards, etc. Then I think people make suggestions.

It's the forums section, down near the bottom of the page under the heading "What Should I Make With It?"

Thanks! I'll have to check that out.

Jan in CA
04-11-2006, 01:24 PM

I've seen that, but I never know how many yards are "left" in used balls. I guess I should measure them and roll them into balls one day when I'm really bored... :rollseyes:

metalsgirl
04-11-2006, 01:40 PM
Jan - I normally guestimate by weight - if the original ball was 50 grams and it now weighs 25 grams, I assume I have half of the original yardage.... I use a kitchen scale...

kitkat
04-11-2006, 01:58 PM
http://destash.blogspot.com./

check this out - I just found it - gotta get back to 1040 land!

Mer
04-12-2006, 10:02 AM
http://destash.blogspot.com./

check this out - I just found it - gotta get back to 1040 land!

Ooh, that's a great idea! Thanks for posting it.

Jan in CA
04-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Jan - I normally guestimate by weight - if the original ball was 50 grams and it now weighs 25 grams, I assume I have half of the original yardage.... I use a kitchen scale...

That's a good idea. I've been thinking of getting a kitchen scale anyway.