PDA

View Full Version : Lambs pride in the UK

electrocarly
04-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Hello all,

I'#ve spotted this fantastic pattern on knitty
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTmarleysghost.html
and i absolutely must knit it, only trouble is, I'm in the Uk and the wool I want isn't!

I want to use the wool specified in the pattern as I'm too in-experienced to ventured further.
I've already dismissed the pattern in buying 6mm needles instead of 5.5mm as I am a tight knitter.

Does anyone know of a UK stockists of this wool or any other suitable yarn that is preferably 85% mohair and 15% wool- i just want it to felt nicely and look like the fab chain in the pic.

ps- i'm also trying to knit myself a padlock for it. any ideas?!

big knitting love, thanks
Carly

kemp
04-12-2006, 06:05 PM
carly...there are probably lots of good substitutions but here is a reliable web source that will ship to the uk

http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/faqs.asp#ship4 this page shows you the shipping info.

mulene
04-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Hi, I'm also in the UK (London)

I must say for the past week I've been trying to find good wool shops without much success! John Lewis of course have a lovely haberdashery department.

I am just back from the most horrendous trip to Liberty's Haberdashery department - It's been a while since I was there but the wool section is *tiny* these days and the staff were rude, unable to add up and I ended up just saying "sod this" taking my card back and leaving the store empty handed.

Depending where you live in the UK would depend on what you can get. I know that ebay is a great source for many US yarns unavailable to us here, though it IS worth a look at John Lewis. I know John Lewis are carrying Debbie Bliss wools.

I saw today something about a store in Islington which apparently carries a vast array of yarns - it's a new ish store and it is there to cater to the new trendies who have taken up knitting. I'll have a look in a while and see if I can find the name of it again for you.

London, alas, is severely missing it's old yarn shops. It looks like its going to be Ebay / Mail order from the US and John Lewis for me from now on. Today's experience with Liberty left me thinking I'll never darken their door again!

AmandaC
04-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Hi - i'm in the uk and also finding it difficult to find feltable wool - we just don't seem to have it as readily available as the US.

Try going to Angelyarns.co.uk and looking at the Twilleys- Freedom wool.

Good luck - John Lewis Oxford street has the nicest selection I have seen yet - I am closer to the Reading branch tho but they don't do the Noro.

feministmama
04-13-2006, 03:12 PM
THis seller on Ebay (Oregon Trail Yarn and Books) has TONS of lambs pride. She may ship overseas. Just ask her:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1lb-Cone-Lambs-Pride-Worsted-Wool-Yarn-BLUE-MAGIC_W0QQitemZ8276325347QQcategoryZ36599QQtcZphot oQQcmdZViewItem

mulene
04-13-2006, 04:15 PM
THis seller on Ebay (Oregon Trail Yarn and Books) has TONS of lambs pride. She may ship overseas. Just ask her:

*cheer* she ships Worldwide =D Great link thanks Feministmama!

electrocarly
04-13-2006, 04:57 PM
fantastical ladies, thank you very much for all your help.

mulene- I've been to the wonderous shop in islington, i also live in North London- it's called 'Loop' and very gorgeous, all be it a bit expensive and overwhelming. I, like you absolutely heart my John Lewis.

AmandaR- John lewis oxford street makes me very happy indeed- my nearest is Brent cross, I've just made a new shop friend too, yay!

i found a replacement wool- i think the gauge may be a wee bit small but i've gone down half mm in needle size so it's all good but i'm going to try Rowan kid Classic and see how it goes.

now i just gots to skip off and learn how to use dpn's properly.

xx

mulene
04-13-2006, 05:20 PM
ahaaa thats the place, Loop! I should have remembered since I just bought a Sirdar Loopa tool *grin*

I'd love to take a trip there but the thought did cross my mind that its going to be expensive - As soon as I saw Islington I just knew it would be ;)

Brent Cross JL is the nearest one to where I work (I work in West London on the border with Willesden), but today I was lucky enough to share my bosses cab into town so I could nip to Liberty for lunch! I did think if he hadn't been going I'd have driven to Brent Cross, it's been a while since I was there!

There used to be a gorgeous little yarn shop near where my mother lives, alas it has gone too =( So much for the mad knitting revival in London!