PDA

View Full Version : What is everyone's trick to hardboiling an egg ?

spooky
04-15-2006, 08:47 AM
Well, it's Easter Time again and you know what that means .... We have to hardboil a bunch of eggs to color. Now, my son is 8 years old and for the past 8 years I have never been able to hard boil an egg w/o it cracking. Sometimes I think I got lucky and when it comes time to eating that egg, it is gooey inside. This year I'd like to hardboil the perfect egg.

I've heard everything from spinning the egg, blowing ON the egg, to timing it for 12 minutes to get the perfect hard boiled egg.

So, what are your secrets on how to get the perfect hard boiled egg? Maybe I can give it a try :D .

gardenmommy
04-15-2006, 09:05 AM
This is from the Everyday Cheapskate newsletter I get...

Just about everyone loves deviled eggs. So what better time to learn a few clever tips, tricks and deviled-egg secrets than now, when eggs are plentiful and priced right?

The best eggs for "deviling" are small eggs. Once prepared, a small deviled egg can be handled and eaten more gracefully.

Set the egg carton on its side in the refrigerator a day before you plan to boil the eggs. For some reason, this "centers" the yolks in each egg and makes the most attractive deviled eggs.

Place the eggs in a medium saucepan, cover them with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, fill a medium bowl with 1 quart cold

water and about 14 ice cubes (one tray). Transfer the eggs to ice water with a slotted spoon; let sit five minutes. Peel.

GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS: After boiling and peeling, slice a scant nickel-sized piece of egg from each end to make them stable. Now, halve the eggs crosswise, not lengthwise. Notice how each half resembles a tiny cup and has a "flat" bottom that allows it to sit upright without wobbling on the plate. Look over your egg-white halves. Discard the two halves that are the least perfect. Now you will have enough filling to make sure all remaining halves are well-stuffed.

Carefully scoop the yolk from each egg half into a quart-size zipper bag, not into a bowl. Add other ingredients, zip and "knead" the bag with your hand to mix all of the ingredients well. Press the yolk mixture toward one of the bottom corners. With a pair of scissors, carefully snip a small bit of the corner from the bag. You now have a neat "pastry bag" from which you can pipe the mixture into the prepared egg-white halves. When you're finished, simply throw the bag away. No muss, no fuss, no cleanup.

Once they are prepared, refrigerate the deviled eggs for at least one hour before serving.

CLASSIC DEVILED EGGS: 12 eggs, 1 teaspoon paprika, 4 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon dry mustard.

DECADENT DEVILED EGGS: 12 eggs, 2 teaspoons dry mustard, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce, 1/4 teaspoon celery salt, 1/2 cup butter, softened.

CHEDDAR-BACON DEVILED EGGS: 12 eggs, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 4 slices bacon (fried, cooled and crumbled), 2 tablespoons finely shredded Cheddar cheese, 1 tablespoon prepared mustard.

SPICY-ITALIAN DEVILED EGGS: 12 eggs, 2 tablespoons spicy-brown mustard, 2 tablespoons Italian salad dressing, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste, 1 teaspoon salt or to taste. Sprinkle finished eggs with paprika.

ZESTY DEVILED EGGS: 12 eggs, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 4 tablespoons finely chopped onion, 6 tablespoons sweet-pickle relish, 2 tablespoon prepared horseradish, 1 tablespoon prepared mustard, salt and pepper to taste, and paprika for garnish.

knittingachiever
04-15-2006, 09:08 AM
I have to admit, I have not tried this trick personally, but I was at work earlier this week lamenting my inability to hardboil an egg without it being either tough and chewy or liquid on the inside, and one of my coworkers who is a very accomplished cook shared her secret:

Fill your pot or saucepan with water and bring it to a rolling boil. Then take it off the heat, put your eggs in, and set the timer for 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes, replace the hot (but cooling) water with cold water to stop the cooking, then refrigerate.

I dunno if it works, but it sounds good to me. I'll try it if you will! ;) :lol:

Virtuella
04-15-2006, 09:12 AM
My eggs are always solid and no cracks in them.
I put them in cold water in a saucepan, heats and cook slowly (at low heat) for 15 minutes. Then i fill the saucepan with cold water to chill them.

At easter i put lots of onionpeeling in the saucepan, and the eggs turns nice and yellow!

Good luck!

gardenmommy
04-15-2006, 09:18 AM
Also older eggs are much easier to peel than fresh ones. Although you can't really ask an egg how old it is. ;)

I do mine pretty much like Virtuella, start them in cold water in the pot on the stove, bring to a gentle boil for about 15 minutes, then chill them quickly. I even have a couple plastic bottles with ice in the freezer that I stick in the pan to chill them more quickly, especially if you want to use them right away.

margie
04-15-2006, 09:25 AM
I bring mine to a boil, then put a lid on the pan and take it off of the heat. I set a timer for 15 minutes, then pour off the hot water and cover the eggs with cold water.

DotMom61
04-15-2006, 09:35 AM
Yup ... like Margie, I boil mine then let them sit for 15 minutes -- this usually works quite well except when you go and do something else while you're waiting for them to boil. :oops:

The other methods sound interesting, too, though. Maybe you could turn your kitchen into a test kitchen & try *all* the methods! ;-)

brendajos
04-15-2006, 10:14 AM
i do what margie does except for 20 minutes i let them sit.

when i was a nanny the one family had this little gadgety thing that would put a tiny little pin prick in the shell that was suppose to keep the eggs from cracking. i never could see the pin prick so i can't prove it worked, BUT i also never had cracked eggs so who knows... :rofling:

aylaanne
04-15-2006, 12:27 PM
I make my eggs for eating, and I put them in the pot, cover with cold water, then bring to a boil. I set the timer for seven minutes. When the timer goes off, I take them off of the heat and drop them into ice water so the shells crack. This keeps the yolks from turning green.

If you're going to dye them, boil them longer, then let them sit until the water cools.

quirky
04-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Years ago I saw some french chef going over the egg issue. He used a thin needle and poked a hole in the big end of the egg. The reason was to let the air escape from the pocket. He said the air expands and causes cracked eggs.

Personally I pray to the easter bunny. This seems to really help as I have no real method. Yet in the 3 doz eggs I dyed today we only had one cracked egg. The easter bunny is really forgiving and does not need a lot of "amens" etc.
I suggest a simple ritual that might go something like this:
Put on a pair of bunny ears.
Call the children into the kitchen and distribute jelly beans and marshmellow chickies to all.
Advise the children that you are going to boil the eggs now and fill a large pot with cold water.
Put the eggs in gently one by one and chant to the easter bunny,
"oh great bunny, hear our prayers - may these eggs come out with out cracks. may we shed no tears"
While the eggs are boiling lay out the dying stuff.
Encourage the children to pester you with "are they done yet" (a must to ensure ritual accuracy)
Let the eggs boil until your kids are driving your crazy and you have lost patience. (at high altitude thats about 10 minutes)
Put the pan into the sink and without empying the hot water begin to add very cold water from the faucet. Allow the water to run until the water in the pan feels cold. Let the eggs sit another 10 minutes (feed the kids mor candy if you must)
Pull the eggs out of the water one by one and dry them with a paper towel. They may still be too hot to touch. If so put them in a collander (one by one) and allow more cold water to run over them.
The key, according to the easter bunny is - a big pan, so the eggs cant knock together, and picking them out of the water - not pouring the water off. And of course feeding the children candy.
I trust the easter bunny, she has not failed me yet.

Sara
04-15-2006, 02:36 PM
Julia Child says:

Prick the large end of the egg... place in a pot... fill with water to an inch ABOVE the eggs (NOT an inch of water in the pot!)... bring to a boil... turn off heat... cover pot for 17 minutes... lift out with spoon and put them in a bowl of ice water

This method keeps the yolks from turning green, as well...

Be careful with egg consumption! Don't eat eggs that have been out of refrigeration for too long!

Bon appetit! Paques Joyeux!!!

Ellen Edwards
04-15-2006, 03:14 PM
I've always done the -'-put eggs in a pot of cold water--covering them with water and then with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a rolling boil and take off the heat, leaving lid on for 20 minutes , then putting them in ice water before peeling!!' I bought Egglands this time--I hope they'll do okay!!

khitten
04-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Best thing to do to keep the eggs from cracking is to make sure the pot is not to full of them. They move around while being boiled and bump into eachother which cracks them. As for keeping them from turning green. That's caused from the sulfer in the egg, if you cover them the yolks will turn colors because the sulfer is trapped inside the pot. Make sure you put eggs in cold water and then bring to a boil slowly. Let them boil for 10 minutes then move them to another burner to sit for 15 minutes then you let cold water run on them for a while to cool them off. That method works best for the jumbo's and should make a nice golden yolk.

khitten
04-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Best thing to do to keep the eggs from cracking is to make sure the pot is not to full of them. They move around while being boiled and bump into eachother which cracks them. As for keeping them from turning green. That's caused from the sulfer in the egg, if you cover them the yolks will turn colors because the sulfer is trapped inside the pot. Make sure you put eggs in cold water and then bring to a boil slowly. Let them boil for 10 minutes then move them to another burner to sit for 15 minutes then you let cold water run on them for a while to cool them off. That method works best for the jumbo's and should make a nice golden yolk.

cheesiesmom
04-15-2006, 07:50 PM
I'm with all those who bring to a boil, remove from heat and let stand covered 15 to 20 minutes (personally, I do 22 minutes but what the hey!!)
I think they crack because there are cracks in the eggs. I generally lose one maybe two, but I always boil too many.

We're not doing any this year. No kids, I'm dieting, DH doesnt' want them. Sniff, sniff. Getting old and being an empty nester sucks, sometimes.

sfavereau
04-15-2006, 08:08 PM
I've always heard 10 minutes of boiling will do the trick (and it does work at sea level), but not here in Colorado Springs! Heck, you'll have a soft-boiled egg at this 6400ft altitude! So if you live at altitude, better to leave them in the boiling water a bit longer. I find 15 minutes of boiling, then about 5 minutes of sitting before going into cold water works well.

cookworm
04-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Probably a little bit late in my response (I just saw the post), but I have a method for hardboiling eggs that has always worked good for me, and not only do the eggs come out fully cooked and the yolks are yellow (without that "icky" greenish ring to them), but the shells just slide off (when the shells stick to the eggs and you have to gouge the eggs to get the shells off is the part that frustrates me the most).

First of all, everything I've heard says to have your eggs at room temperature before you begin boiling them. If you put a cold egg right from the refrigerator in even lukewarm water, it can crack the egg. So I let them sit out on the counter on a kitchen towel (not even in the styrofoam container, because that seems to hold the coldness in too). What I do then is to bring my water to a boil first, then I carefully lower each egg into the boiling water. I boil my eggs for exactly 20 minutes, then I turn off the heat, and carefully pour out the hot water, and fill up the pan with cold water a couple of times. I return the pan with the eggs and cold water to the stovetop and even add some ice to the pan and leave it sit for a little while. When the eggs feel cool to the touch when you hold them in your hand, you can try peeling them then, or you can just refrigerate them until you're ready to use them. May be a little bit of a fussy method to making the eggs, but I feel it's worth the effort if the eggs are tender, fully cooked, the yolks are nice and bright yellow, and the shells slide off. Hope this helps! ;)

HeatherFeather
04-16-2006, 08:39 PM
And, here's a trick my dad told me today for peeling eggs easily.

Crack each end, and take off one of the ends only, then make a line from the north to the south pole so to speak, and then peel in one piece from right to left all around the egg. I had two eggs I was NOT talking nicely to, as it seemed I had to pick of the shell piece by piece. He told me this trick and the rest peeled nicely.

brendajos
04-16-2006, 09:29 PM
And, here's a trick my dad told me today for peeling eggs easily.

Crack each end, and take off one of the ends only, then make a line from the north to the south pole so to speak, and then peel in one piece from right to left all around the egg. I had two eggs I was NOT talking nicely to, as it seemed I had to pick of the shell piece by piece. He told me this trick and the rest peeled nicely.

i have always heard that problem exists when you are using "new" eggs...i generally won't boil eggs that have been in my fridge for less than a week!

Jenelle
04-16-2006, 09:30 PM
I like this method-

Put 1 dozen eggs into a pan that will fit all of them on the bottom(NEVER stack eggs on top of one another). Fill the pot with cold water, that goes about 1/2 inch above the eggs. Turn the heat up to high, and bring to a boil for 15 minutes. Let set for 5-10 minutes in the pot of hot water. Dump out the hot water and put ice in the pot with a lot of cold water. Let them set for 10 minutes. Now you can either:

A. Peel and eat them like that

B. Dice up 1 small valdea onion, and dice up 6 eggs. Put 1/2 cup of mayo, 1 tsp of mustard, pepper to taste, and paprika into a bowl, and fold in onion and eggs. Slap on a piece of bread and put another on top and there you have egg salad sandwich!

Mmmm..... :drooling:

dustinac
04-16-2006, 09:32 PM
This is my favorite...
wait till dh is home and have him do them so they don't crack...
wait for my mom to come and have her do them so they don't crack... although my mom did the ones last night and they were not hard boiled when we went to eat them today... :rofling:

HeatherFeather
04-16-2006, 09:50 PM
have always heard that problem exists when you are using "new" eggs...i generally won't boil eggs that have been in my fridge for less than a week!

yup...these eggs were bought a week and a half ago....still crummy peelers....but dad's trick..well...did the trick..lol...

ecb
04-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Dang ladies
what happened to being in the 21st century
I just use my Rice steamer
both trays work well to do 18 eggs
Steam for 30 min, timer goes off, steamer turns itself off, Cool eggs waiting for you in the AM when you wake up

Sorry

ecb

HeatherFeather
04-17-2006, 07:19 AM
Rice steamer is like 120.00 here...NOT in my budget...I'll stick with pot and water.

amy
04-17-2006, 12:01 PM
I know it's not Easter any more, but we eat so many hard-boiled eggs in this house (usually as egg salad sandwiches, yummmm), that I have to share my recipe. :D I'm reading other's comments as well, with interest!

Firstly, I don't use fresh eggs! Two weeks old is ideal, and not really old for refridgerated eggs in my opinion. As others have said, when they're too fresh, the membrane sticks to the egg and they're impossible to peel well.

This is the technique recommended by the Georgia Egg Board, it's the recipe I use...

Put the eggs in a pot and enough water to submerge them by one inch.
Bring to a boil, remove and let sit covered for exactly 17 minutes.
Chill in cool water for 2 min., then back in hot water for 10 sec. and then chill again.

The extra dip in the hot water is supposed to make peeling easier. Can't say for sure, but I'd hop on one leg if I heard it would make peeling easier. After I put them in their final cooling bath, I start peeling them right from there, it seems to be easier when they're still warm. Always rinse them off, to remove bits of shell.

Pixywhispers
04-17-2006, 12:12 PM
hmmm, I wonder what we should have for lunch today?

kellyjo32
04-17-2006, 12:53 PM
In an effort to make easy to peel, non-green yolk eggs, I tried the Food Networks way... start with eggs in the pan, bring to a boil, remove from heat and cover for 13 minutes. What a shock when I cracked one open at my desk at work, and splat! :mad: :?? The egg was still completely raw!! Not even 5 minutes later, the radio station I was listening to reported on this "new" way to boil eggs, it was the same exact thing I had done. No thanks!!

Last night I tried dh's way (which I should have tried first! ;) Bring to boil, drop in eggs, lower temp to slowly boil, to avoid cracking. boil 10 minutes. Rinse with cold water. Perfect hard boiled eggs. :D The only thing I would change is dropping the eggs in earlier or letting them warm up a little. One cracked from the shock of cold to hot. And there was no need to have a trick to peeling these, the shells basically fell off after the first crack. And no green in sight! :thumbsup: :cheering: