PDA

View Full Version : FOs - Branching Out, Namaste

Toast King
04-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Just wanted to show you the little scarf I made last week! It's Branching Out (http://www.knitty.com/issuespring05/PATTbranchingout.html) from Knitty - for a friend who's just announced she's pregnant - yay! :D

It's made with Debbie Bliss pure silk (which I now seem to be slightly obsessed with since starting that shrug!). I've never blocked anything before so I left it (nervously) to dry over the weekend.... and wow!... blocking is amazing!! I must also say that the pattern designer is a genius, the lace was so simple to do, but looks super-complicated to my non-knitty friends ;)

'Scuse the big pics:
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~trin1487/BranchingOut.jpghttp://users.ox.ac.uk/~trin1487/BranchingOut2.jpg
and yes.... untangling your lacey scarf from a prickly shrub is enormous fun.. . aherm :doh:

Also, I managed to get a snap of my mum's yoga mat bag when I saw her this weekend - it's the Namaste (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTnamaste.html) pattern, again from Knitty.

Here ya go:
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~trin1487/Namaste.jpg

Happy Easter to you all :D

rebecca
04-17-2006, 05:16 PM
:D They are both simply GORGEOUS!! I so loved making Branching Out last year, since I've seen your's I think I may have to knit another ;)

Gina
04-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Beautiful!!! Both of them. I :heart: the scarf! Great job :thumbsup:

:cheering: :cheering:

callmesusan
04-17-2006, 08:33 PM
After seeing your scarf, I think it's time for me to do some branching out. I have seen this scarf referenced many times but felt it looked to complicated. Since your post, I think I might giver her a try. Yours is lovely!

loveswildflowers
04-17-2006, 08:41 PM
Oh my gosh! Both are beautiful - but that scarf is absolutely gorgeous!!! :shock: I'll just bet that Debbie Bliss Silk is luscious to touch too. Thanks for posting the eye candy.

sara_jayne
04-17-2006, 10:19 PM
:inlove: Those are both beautiful!

Ingrid
04-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Absolutely gorgeous! :cheering:

Amber
04-17-2006, 10:49 PM
I love the Branching Out pattern. Yours came out beautifully!

And, the yoga mat bag looks great too!

kemp
04-18-2006, 01:02 AM
Wow! They both look great and I love your artistic tree picture.

Hepsibah
04-18-2006, 06:07 AM
That scarf is great!!! :cheering:

Ronda
04-18-2006, 06:26 AM
:inlove: Just beautiful - both of them!

nanonette
04-18-2006, 07:10 AM
These are both lovely!! Think I'm going to have to tackle Branching Out soon! Love your photos, too! :thumbsup:

Rennagayle
04-18-2006, 03:47 PM
The scarf is so lovely. I've been trying to think of something to knit for my mom next. She's not a wearer of winter scarves, though she does like to wear decorative kinds to accessorize outfits through the year. I think she would love that. I'll have to wait until my next trip to a yarn shop to get something really soft to use.

Do you mind my asking how much it cost to make it, using the yarn you used? :)

Virtuella
04-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Beautiful both!!
I think I have to knit the BO scarf..

feministmama
04-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Branching out is easy you say? I do have some nice soft yarn that would be perfect for that. Project number 6,432,586.......

feministmama
04-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Oops I forgot to say that your scarf is gorgeous! :inlove:

AnreeAce
04-19-2006, 11:30 AM
:inlove: :thumbsup: :heart:

That scarf is amazing! Had to pick my jaw up off the keyboard. Thanks so much for sharing!

nicolethegeek
04-19-2006, 12:45 PM
That lace does look complex... I'm just barely beginning to work with lace patterns, but not the lace weight wool to go with it! And I like that yoga mat bag... I just might need to make one for mine... great way to practice my cables.

Toast King
04-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Crikey! Thank yoooooo for your lovely comments! :blush: My friend received it in the post this morning and loved it, so that's all fine and dandy :D

Renna - I used just slightly more than one skein, I think it would have been fine with just the one but I did a couple more repeats - that yarn costs 6.50/skein here in the UK so you could make the scarf for about $12-ish? I love this yarn so much, it's super soft & scrummy.

feministmama - yes, it's a really straight-forward knit - and so nice to see it taking shape! One I got my head around what the different stitches were, it was cool - although not an easy pattern to memorise :??!

In hindsight, I should have used bigger needles to CO and BO to make it a bit looser at the ends too. I definitely want to make another, so I'll put it right then. Please post a picture when you've done yours!

Rennagayle
04-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Thanks, Toast Knit. That's a very affordable price for such a lovely gift worthy item! :D

Pixywhispers
04-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Toast King! I am so glad you commented on Branching out. I've been eyeing it for months. But thought I wasn't quite ready for it. But I think that would make a lovely gift for my mil. edited to say, And I think I am ready for it.

Lovely work. LOL and I think the pics were beautiful! Despite the rescue of your work from the knit eating bushes.

KathD
04-19-2006, 10:32 PM
:heart: :heart: love that scarf. You did a beautiful job. That has been on my to-do list. Even have the yarn, so YOU INSPIRE ME!! I might have to start it sooon. :lol:

Danielle
04-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Great job! :thumbsup:

lmc
04-20-2006, 11:05 AM
That blue scarf is absolutely astondingly beatuiful. I can't believe it is easy to do. You must be a VERY ADVANCED MASTER knitter!
Way to Go!

Skater
04-26-2006, 10:49 PM
Your gift scarf is really beautiful, and so is the yoga mat bag.

I'm new here, and I found this post by searching for "Branching Out," because I'm making it right now in Elsebeth Lavold's Silky Wool, Gold color (007). I've reviewed a lot of pictures of BO scarves, and I really like the ones that have holes that are a bit more open, like yours. The color you picked is very nice.

I am making some mistakes with mine, usually when I'm tired. It is growing, though, and the pattern is lovely. I don't think I'll get the whole pattern memorized, but I think I'll be able to remember patterns within the pattern better as time goes on.

KellyK
04-27-2006, 08:20 AM
SUCH a good job! ANd, now I want to feel me up some DB Pure SIlk! :heart: