PDA

View Full Version : two at once socks

candicane
04-20-2006, 10:28 AM
I want to make the two at once toe up socks (free pattern from KnitPicks). It uses two balls of yarn. However, I have 1 100 gram ball of Lana Grossa sock yarn that I'd like to use. Could I roll it into a center pull ball and use both ends? Or will I end up with a tangly mess?

Candice

rebecca
04-20-2006, 10:30 AM
I think that u would end up with a tangled mess using the same ball of yarn. When I use 1 skein/hank/ball of yarn for socks (I knit in tandem when I knit socks with dpns) I just put the yarn in 2 balls, pop each ball in a ziploc bag, cut a little hole in the corner of the bag for the yarn to go through & I'm good to go & I have no tangles & my yarn stays put ;)

NinaT
04-20-2006, 10:37 AM
Hi!
I use both ends of the skein when I need double strands. I'm not going to say it doesn't get twisted but I don't think it's as bad as having two balls of yarn rolling around! :D

mulene
04-20-2006, 11:10 AM
I think that u would end up with a tangled mess using the same ball of yarn. When I use 1 skein/hank/ball of yarn for socks (I knit in tandem when I knit socks with dpns) I just put the yarn in 2 balls, pop each ball in a ziploc bag, cut a little hole in the corner of the bag for the yarn to go through & I'm good to go & I have no tangles & my yarn stays put ;)

Ooh I like this idea... I was going to get a "yarntainer" http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8273622660&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 from ebay but have been holding out to spend the money on yarn instead :rofling:

rebecca
04-20-2006, 11:22 AM
I love the look of the yarntainers, but I found the ziplocs to be much less expensive and compact ;) I wouldn't have a place for all of the yarntainers that I would need :shock:

ShellChelle
04-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Please let me know how the socks turn out! I just printed that pattern and after I finish the tank top I am working on and the felt slippers I just bought yarn for, those were going to be next!

I've never knit socks before and I was wondering if that was a good pattern to start with.

rebecca
04-20-2006, 02:10 PM
1st, welcome, :waving: A good place to start your 1st socks would be with our Silver's Sock Class (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Beginning.htm), I think that u will find all that u need there, if not...please don't hesitate to ask ;)

humblestumble
04-20-2006, 03:00 PM
the yarntainers look like regular containers (we have some and put cereal in them) that have holes drilled through the lid with rubber grommets put in so nothing gets snagged.

The DIY in my came out. :blush:

jhelanee
04-20-2006, 03:01 PM
I am currently working on this pattern and I think with a little care you could use both ends of a center pull ball just fine. The strands of yarn never cross while you are knitting (since each sock is knit with its own strant) only when you turn your work. So as long as you turn one way and then back the other way the next time (as opposed to the same way all of the time) the strands stay nicely seperated.

As far as this being a good first sock project, it depends on how comfortable you are with knitting in general. The pattern is written as "guidelines" not "step-by-step instructions" with stitch counts or how many inches to knit before the next part. So if you want detailed explanations, I would advise you try Silver's class instead, but if you are a bit more adventurous go ahead and dive right in - I did. :D
BTW, the pattern calls for 24" needles which are probably a good length. I am using a 16" and 20" and finding them to be a bit short. The different lengths don't bother me at all.

TwoLeftNeedles
04-20-2006, 06:24 PM
I made these as my first socks. Turned out great! Only thing I did differently from the instructions was finish the heels individually rather than both at once. MUCH easier than the instructions for moving stitches from one needle to the other