PDA

View Full Version : Calla Tank

ladyindica2000
04-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Hi all,

I am thinking I will be starting to knit http://www.magknits.com/Apr06/patterns/calla.htm from Magknits.com and was wondering if anyone wanted to do a knit along? I am using Butterfly Super 10 (within my price range) and am using 3 skiens.

I have already cast on and worked the 8 foundation rows of ribbing before the actual pattern starts. I am planning to continue with the rest May 1 (or shortly there after, depending on the time it takes to finish the scarf I am working on for my monthers b-day).

Is anyone intersted? This would be a fun project for more than one person.

nanonette
04-21-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm interested!! :) I was seriously considering the Design Your Own Tank KAL, but now I'm not so sure, since I'm basically trying to find stitch patterns that resemble Calla. It's probably easier just to knit Calla. :thinking:

ladyindica2000
04-22-2006, 01:43 AM
Yay!! I am so glad to have someone else doing this with me. I know there are a lot of people doing the tank design KAL, but I figured that maybe there might be 1 or 2 people interested in or already doing Calla that it would be a good idea to do a small KAL.

I wanted to do the design your own tank too since that sounds uber cool, but I had already set my mind on doing the Calla tank and bought the supplies for it.

I plan on starting as close to the beginning of May as possible. I just have to finish my mom's scarf first.

I am so glad to have someone else working on this with me!!

KatyKoolkat
04-22-2006, 02:30 AM
I am willing to join in too!! And I think I will use the Butterfly cotton, or I think I may have some other stuff I got on sale. We will see.

I have seen this patterns before and have wanted to try it. I have always been about substance in my knitting....none of this stocking stitch numbness!!!

K

Edited to add that starting at the beginning of may is perfect cause I need to finish a few projects too!!

Andrea
04-22-2006, 04:44 AM
That is a really cute pattern!!!

nanonette
04-22-2006, 09:15 AM
Beginning of May works for me, too, since I don't have any yarn yet and I have a couple projects to finish up, too.
Guess this means I get to SHOP! ;)

mintdee
04-22-2006, 11:27 AM
I want to make this for my sister sometime soon. I am thinking christmas present. That way she can wear it next summer. ;)

dustinac
04-22-2006, 12:30 PM
If I didn't have the baby pouch from Roo I'd knit this :rollseyes: .. I think its so pretty but don't think I could pull it off just yet but I'm working on it :happydance: ...

mintdee
04-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Thats why I am thinking of knitting it for the sister :roflhard:

darn pooch :rollseyes: ;) :roflhard:

ladyindica2000
04-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Just an update for those who are KAL with me. I have finished the scarf that I was working on and have cast on, done the first few rows of ribbing that the pattern calls for and am now working on the body of the tank. I have frogged it back to the ribbing 4 times now because I keep screwing up the charts, but I think that I have the hang of it now. I think that because the charts are on different pages its tough to get into the rythm. I have since taped the charts onto the same page along with the stitch key so I don't make any more mistakes, LOL.

As well, just a small hint, I figured out that you have to purl the yo stitches on the WS.

Can't wait for everyone else to start too!

nanonette
04-26-2006, 05:24 PM
Great job, ladyindica! :cheering:

I purchased Debbie Bliss Wool/Cotton for this project over the weekend since it was on sale (sadly one of my LYS going out of business). However, since it is a different guage I've been attempting to swatch. I'm using the larger chart for the swatch sample, but I keep messing it up. I'm hoping to make some headway today.

Good idea about putting the charts on one single page together. I can see how it would be difficult to read. I'm having a difficult enough time flipping between the large chart and the written instructions on the first page.

I'm also attempting to convert this into knitting in the round, but since it's my first conversion I'm not feeling to confident.

ladyindica2000
04-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Ohhh.. in the round. I wish I had thought of knitting it in the round... I can't wait to see how it turns out!

KatyKoolkat
04-26-2006, 11:37 PM
I am still working on a baby sweater for my working family ( I am their nanny) and their fourth child. So, I figure by next week I should have nothing else on the needles (and my friends will be really happy that I am knitting something for myself!!)

ladyindica2000
04-27-2006, 11:40 AM
Great. Nice to have someone else KAL with us. Welcome aboard Katy!

KatyKoolkat
04-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Nan:

Please let me know about your attempts to knit in the round! I would love to try too!

K

nanonette
04-28-2006, 07:15 AM
Katy,

Knitting in the round hasn't been too bad, so far, but I've only gotten to the first charted row (which I have to unknit entirely because I somehow got off 2 stitches).

Here have been my challenges:

Doing the math and remembering that the instructions need to be repeated twice. This is rather obvious, but a little challenging since the ribbing isn't purely K2P2. I added a stitch marker to differentiate the front & back.

Remembering to only look at the chart every other row! I really struggled with this while swatching. I'm tempted to rewrite the chart to include the rows stitched in pattern because I keep forgetting.

I had to take out my first charted row because I forgot that it has to be a 360 degree wrap for the YO, P2tog - but that would happen anyway even if it weren't in the round. I am using stitch markers around the patterned areas to hopefully keep me on track, but since I haven't gotten past the first row yet, I don't know how much it will help. :rollseyes:

HTH, Katy. Good luck!! Can't wait to see everyone's finished Callas.

Jackie F.
04-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Hey Calla KALs,
The person who designed Calla is in my SnB group. I noticed she has new pattern information about Calla on her blog: http://saunshine.blogspot.com/. See April 26th entry. :)

ladyindica2000
04-28-2006, 03:28 PM
I am thinking more and more about making the back in plain stockinette stitch. DO you think that it would work if I followed the pattern and just did straight stockinette? Would the tension be off??

nanonette
04-28-2006, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the update, Jackie!

ladyinca, I've thought about the back being stockinette, too. Would make it a little easier knit. Don't know about the tension though. You might try e-mailing the designer.

KatyKoolkat
05-02-2006, 12:53 AM
Well folks, I STILL have that baby sweater to finish, so no new projects yet. Maybe in a few days....plus I am waiting for you folks to decide whether knitting the back in st st is ok!!! Boy, am I lazy!!lol

K

ladyindica2000
05-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Well, you may be waiting for a little while longer. I have been stuck on the front of Calla for a few days since I dropped a stitch (or did too many p2tog or something) and I now have one less stitch than I should have and its throwing my yo's out of alignment. Argggh. I will be frogging today at work over lunch and then getting back into the groove as soon as I figure out where that all important stitch went.

I am also going to email the designer and ask her if stockinette would work for the back. I sure hope so. It will make the design go so much faster.

nanonette
05-02-2006, 05:53 PM
I'm at exactly the same place, too, ladyindica. I'm missing a stitch because I forgot to do a 360 degree YO before a P2tog. I have to frog an entire row, which leaves me about 2 rows into the pattern after the ribbing!! !@$% :wall: But I have put it aside for now for some quickie projects - a baby gift & a Mother's Day one. UGH! It's very frustrating, and now I know why it's a "difficult" pattern. It's difficult for me to remember to YO correctly!

ladyindica2000
05-05-2006, 06:54 PM
I have some progress pictures of Calla to add, but I have to say that I am strongly thinking of frogging Calla and re-starting since I made some errors (which are very noticable to me) when I first started. I think that I have the rhythm down now, so frogging and re-starting wont be a huge deal and I think that I will be happier with the results. The more I look at it, the more I see the mistakes. I have a picture of the progress I have made so far though:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5066/760/320/Knitting%20Blog%20pics%20-%20May%204%2C%202006%20010.jpg

nanonette
05-05-2006, 10:49 PM
It looks FABULOUS to me!! But I can understand that you see the errors even if nobody else with. ;)

ladyindica2000
05-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Thanks! I really love the pattern and it goes so smoothly once you get started, but those dang mess ups with the yo's are making me crazy. I just know that the whole time I am wearing it, I will be thinking... does anyone else notice the mistakes... are they staring at my yo's thinking, boy, what a mess, LOL. I am super neurotic, I know. I will be frogging tonight and starting again, but I just know it will go so much faster, especially since I have the pattern rhythm down and I have a few days off of work this week. How is yours coming? I can't wait to see some pics of everyone's!

KatyKoolkat
05-07-2006, 12:38 AM
I haven't even started mine yet!!! I was talking to a friend at my LYS and she said she would bring me yarn to use cause she had frogged a tank. i am very excited cause I can finish my baby sweater first, and then have free coral pink yarn to knit with!!!

Did anyone figure out whether to knit the back in st st or not?

K

nanonette
05-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Katy,
Coral pink yarn sounds lovely!! And free is even better. ;) If you knit the two pieces separately, I think it would be pretty easy to adjust the gauge of a stockinette back.

ladyindica,
What yarn are you using? Did you frog it? I still think it looks great and it's cool to see the pattern taking shape.

I'll try to take a photo later this week. I'm finally able to fully concentrate on it since my Mother's Day gifts are finished. I'm only at 2 inches right now.

ladyindica2000
05-09-2006, 10:23 AM
I haven't frogged it yet, but I will Wed since I Wed and Thurs off work. I intend to concentrate on it and only it because I really want to have it finished soon. I have been really sick for the last 4 days or so and haven't knit at all. Hopefully by the end of Wed I will have gotten back to where I was before I frogged it.

I am using Butterfly Super 10 cotton in "cream".

ladyindica2000
05-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Update on Calla:

I have officially frogged Calla down to the ribbing and am halfway through my first cable set. I am so much happier with it and expect that I should be caught up to where I was before within the week. I do have to admit that I put i t down for a while to make a One Skein Wonder which was such a fast knit that I finished it in 2 days!! And, I love it.

How is everyone elses coming along?

KatyKoolkat
05-13-2006, 02:25 AM
I am super disappointed, as I haven't received my yarn from my friend (mind you, last night she had the flu and her DH hadn't been out of the hospital more that three days), but I am sure I am going to start it the end of this week.

nanonette
05-13-2006, 03:54 PM
I'm moving along slowly but surely. Here's my progress so far:

ladyindica2000
05-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Wow, that looks great!! I am not quite that far, but have taken a few days off over the weekend. I am planning to pick it up tonight again and work on it while watching Gilmore Girls (heh). I can't wait to get it finished and start wearing it. Its been so hot here that I need something light to wear.

nanonette
05-17-2006, 07:09 AM
Well, now that I'm 7 inches into it, I'm concerned that I've chosen the wrong size. Even with all of the swatching I did, I guess my gauge is still off about two stitches. I'm wondering if I should have made the next bigger size to accomodate that. I did try it on over the weekend and it was snug. But I figured it is supposed to be close-fitting and it looked OK.
Now, I'm not so sure. I guess I'll have to take the time to try it on again, and make a decision before I get any further. :help:

ladyindica2000
05-17-2006, 03:29 PM
I hate it when that happens. I currently have a poncho, shrug, and tank all waiting for frogging because they are the wrong size. Hopefully with blocking it will stretch a little.

nanonette
05-19-2006, 05:24 PM
I took the time to try it on, and it looks OK, I guess. It's a little snug - not overly tight. So I just keep on knitting.

KatyKoolkat
05-20-2006, 01:17 AM
I am soooo happy....I get to pick up my yarn for the tank tomorrow!! I just have to seam the baby sweater, and I can start!

so exciting

nanonette
05-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Can't wait to see your start, Kat!! :)

KatyKoolkat
05-20-2006, 04:05 PM
Everyone's looks sooo good! I have the pattern and the yarn now, so all i have to do is finish this friggin baby sweater!!

nanonette
05-21-2006, 08:03 AM
LOL, Kat. Good luck with your seaming.

I try to avoid seaming as much as possible because I'm always afraid I'll never get it done. ;)

KatyKoolkat
05-30-2006, 10:06 PM
Well, I got a little sidetracked cause I am a leftie knitter (mirror image to all you righties) and can't figure out how to read the chart!!! I will take it with me to my LYS on thursday and see what they say.

nanonette
06-04-2006, 10:43 AM
How is everyone's Calla coming along? I'm extremely frustrated with mine right now. I had been moving along nicely with the decreases for the top part of the tank, but somehow I got all messed up and the decreases didn't match on the front & back. It's taken me nearly a week's worth of frogging & knitting, frogging & knitting, frogging & knitting to finally get both sides to match. I don't really know why it bugs me so much (as if anyone would actually notice), but I just know my anal retentive self would hate the tank if I didn't fix it. I just wish it wouldn't have taken me so long to find the error. :wall:

I think everything is alright now, but I'm loathe to work on it at all. :rollseyes:

Maybe it's a good excuse to cast on a different project? Even though I tend to be a monogamous knitter. :thinking:

KatyKoolkat
06-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Well, I forgot the yarn and the pattern at home when I went to the LYS, so it will be another week before I can start! ARGH!!!

Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles!

nanonette
06-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Woo Hoo! I finally finished it!! I've really struggled with it this last week, but it's done!

Jackie F.
06-10-2006, 07:57 PM
What a beautiful tank! :heart: I like it in white since you can wear any color underneath.

gardenmommy
06-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Spectabulous! :happydance:

rebecca
06-11-2006, 11:18 PM
:D GORGEOUS!!!! You did an outstanding job :cheering: :cheering:

nanonette
06-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Thanks, ladies! I reall enjoyed knitting Calla except for always losing my cable needle. :blush: :doh:

ladyindica2000
06-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Oh wow, your Calla looks amazing! Color me jealous :)

I am still working on mine, but it did get put on hold for a little bit because we bought a new house and sold our house. Man does that ever take a lot of effort. But, I am back on track and am about 1/4 done. I am hoping that I will get a little boost of energy soon and will be able to get it all done in no time.

I am finding that it's a little tough to just sit down and pick up for a few minutes of time. Its easier once you get the rythm though.

Thanks for the boost of motivation. I hope to have a finished pic to put up soon too!

nanonette
06-13-2006, 07:18 PM
Thank you, ladyindica. :)

Congratulations on your new house!!

Can't wait to see your finished Calla!

Jackie F.
06-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Here is the completed front for my Calla. I'm using TLC Cotton Plus in medium rose. This yarn's gauge on US 8 needles is 5 spi. Since I want a 36" finished bust, I cast on 90 sts which matches the number of CO sts for the size S. So, I followed all instructions for this size.

Now I just have to make a back! :XX:

ecuzzacrea
06-20-2006, 03:03 PM
that's beautiful!!!

how many skeins of TLC are you using?

Jackie F.
06-20-2006, 03:10 PM
that's beautiful!!!

how many skeins of TLC are you using?

It took a little over one skein for the front. So, I'm :thinking: 3 skeins overall. I was pleasantly surprised with the yardage I got out of just one skein! This has been a much faster knit than I expected. :thumbsup:

ecuzzacrea
06-20-2006, 05:28 PM
that's not much at all!!

i might give it a shot. i've had the pattern printed out, but have been too intimidated to try it. :rollseyes:

Jackie F.
06-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Just remember to do a full 360-degree YO before any p2togs! When decreasing in towards the straps on each side, it takes a little attention to "keep in pattern," but it's not hard. I just didn't do a combined YO and decrease if there weren't enough sts for it: instead I just knit those edge sts. One last thing: if you know how to do cables without a cable needle, this speeds things up. ;)

Just in case you've got the original pattern: make sure you've got the revised version from magknits. The red print is new/revised.

Jackie F.
08-05-2006, 01:59 AM
Calla is finally finished! Woohoo! See pics below. Details are here (http://jmfknits.blogspot.com/2006/08/calla-fo-pics.html). ;)

nanonette
08-05-2006, 02:03 PM
:heart: :heart: :heart: it, Jackie!!! It looks FABULOUS on you! Perfect fit, and I soooooo love the color!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: