PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite fiber to knit with?

KristiMetz
04-22-2006, 09:46 PM
So, what is your favorite fiber (or fiber combo) to knit with?

And, why?

Just curious. I'm still too new to all of this to have a strong opinion. But, I'm starting to detest working with 100% cotton and I hope I don't have any projects for a while that involve this!

Ingrid
04-22-2006, 09:53 PM
I haven't used them all, but so far alpaca and merino wool. Alpaca is so, so soft, and merino is soft yet springy. Leave it to me to have expensive taste. :rollseyes:

Vendie
04-22-2006, 10:01 PM
I adore Alpaca - t's my favorite to spin and knit. I love merino as well, and wool in general.

IrishBaby
04-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Another merino and alpaca fan. I also love other breeds of wool, like Blue-Faced Leicester, Targhee, and Rambouillet. But I am all about the animal fibers -- I cringe at the thought of knitting with 100% cotton!

P.S. Note siggie. Wool is my favorite thing. ;)

margie
04-22-2006, 10:37 PM
I have found cotton to be difficult to work with, since it doesn't have the "give" that other fibers do. I'm knitting a cotton baby blanket at the moment, and I can't wait to be done! It looks great, but is hard on the hands when knitting it. I find 100% acrylic yucky, but mix a little wool in there, and I'm fine. Give me some angora or alpaca, and I'll try not to drool on it! ;)

knitqueen
04-22-2006, 10:55 PM
I mostly knit with acrylic blends, I really like wool acrylic mix (Patons Decor is my favorite). I'm not even going to tempt myself with the expensive stuff because I don't know if I could go back to what I can afford! I'm happy in my ignorance right now!

And cotton, my first experience with cotton wasn't good either but I've since grown to really like it. When I first knitted with cotton, I used wooden needles and I think that was part of the problem. Cotton and metal needles is so much better, and cotton makes such soft items.

dustinac
04-22-2006, 11:12 PM
I haven't tried very many and was so excited when my LYS got alpaca in thats my favorite... I haven't tried merino though I don't think they have any... :thinking:

Julie
04-23-2006, 12:03 AM
I adore merino wool...and alpaca, of course! A few monts ago I did a project with Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk (80% alpaca, 20% silk, I think) and it was sooooooo soft and wonderful. :inlove: I think it was the most wonderful yarn I've knit with to date.

cozy
04-23-2006, 01:07 AM
Another merino & alpaca here! I just finished a shawl in a merino/alpaca/silk blend & it was heavenly.

geekgolightly
04-23-2006, 06:56 AM
I adore merino wool...and alpaca, of course! A few monts ago I did a project with Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk (80% alpaca, 20% silk, I think) and it was sooooooo soft and wonderful. :inlove: I think it was the most wonderful yarn I've knit with to date.

oh i love that yarn!

baby alpaca for me. the only merino ive worked with is the cashmerino, which is scrumptious. im sure if i were exceedinly wealthy i would love cashmere. i go and touch it every time im at the LYS

Cristy
04-23-2006, 08:02 AM
I'm a merino fan too...I love to touch alpaca but I've never knitted with it...it's on my to-do list...just haven't found the right pattern yet...

I like cotton but only for the right pattern...I've used it for a few baby items.

Nikki
04-23-2006, 09:11 AM
I'm so new to knitting that my favorite is whatever I use that behaves well for a newbie. I'm beginning to find that anything with wool is going to make me happy and I dearly want to try the Musk Ox sneeze yarn. Oh and Heirloom Breeze too and.............
Nikki

rebecca
04-23-2006, 10:06 AM
I join the alpace & merino chorus :D

Jax3303
04-23-2006, 10:11 AM
I am yet another who loves both merino wool and Alpaca :inlove: . I am also madly in love with Brown Sheep's cotton fleece yarn. it's a cotton/merino wool blend.

samm
04-23-2006, 12:04 PM
I just did a baby sweater in Scheepjes Alpine. It felt so lovely to work with and the finished product is beautiful. I bought more to make another baby sweater for my lys to sell. :XX: I also made those sandal socks in the Regia Stretch, and it was cool yarn! samm

nicolethegeek
04-24-2006, 12:53 PM
I haven't knitted enough to know what I really like, but I sure know what I don't!!! :roflhard: The only project I had that seemed to knit itself was my HBC Booger {the second}. When it comes to crocheting, my favourite thread is DMC Cebelia... one day I hope to be able to knit with it too!!!

WynnieG
04-24-2006, 01:06 PM
I think merino, and bamboo. I haven't knit much with silk, but I have a feeling that would be high on my "yummy yarn" list as well.

rebecca
04-24-2006, 02:49 PM
:D I forgot about bambool...I love to knit with both bamboo & soy :thumbsup: