PDA

View Full Version : Okay, what yarn do you wish you'd never cast on?

Nikki
04-23-2006, 09:13 AM
For me it's Lion Brand Microfiber. Splits like crazy and I'm going to frog a shawl I started with it.
Nikki

Ingrid
04-23-2006, 09:15 AM
LionBrand Homespun. :mad: Yuckarooni!

Cristy
04-23-2006, 09:23 AM
I agree w/ the homespun...Nikki, that's good to know about microspun...I was very close to making a shawl with it....I substituted Dreambaby DK by Plymouth Yarns instead...

dustinac
04-23-2006, 09:55 AM
eyelash yarn :rofling: when I was first learning to knit I bought a bunch of it and I didn't like knitting with it all... now I know its easier if ya have another yarn with it... I also found LB ribbon yarn annoying not hard to work with just annoying to keep straight... I've had problems with Homespun too but my mom's friend loves it and told me to give it another try I haven't yet lol...

rebecca
04-23-2006, 10:01 AM
Most definitely it would have to be Patons' VooDoo yarn (http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/yarn-patons-voodoo-yarn.html)....HORRIBLE stuff to work with...so I returned it ;)

bjc1050
04-23-2006, 10:10 AM
Don't know how it knits, but I liked Lion Brand Microspun for crocheting. Even if it split, it just wound itself back into shape.

Sara
04-23-2006, 11:01 AM
The finished product of microspun FEELS really good and the colors are pretty, but it doesn't make up for the "splittiness" of the yarn when you're working it.

I pretty much hate homespun, as well...

samm
04-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Homespun. I made the back of a sweater, trying different needles thinking it was that that was causing me to hate the project. The colours are sooooo beautiful, and the yarn for me was awful to work with. It didn't move along any needles easily. Someone wrote a while back that it was hard to get the ends to stay woven. And someone said it was easy to crochet. So the work will be frogged and I will try crocheting it. samm whose lys is so proud that they will be carrying LByarns and the first one they've chosen is Homespun. YUCK! ;)

TwoLeftNeedles
04-23-2006, 12:04 PM
I second the nomination for eyelash yarn! I can't see a durned thing in the rats nest it makes! And it's nigh on impossible to frog.

snephenie
04-23-2006, 12:09 PM
I was going to say homespun but since that's been said, I'll go with Paton's Allure...it looks so pretty and soft but I just hated knitting with it.

knitqueen
04-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Eyelash, definitely. It's not 'me', for one thing, so I didn't like working with it for that reason but struggled through a few things as gifts to people who really like them so it was worth it! I agree on the impossible to frog part. Grrrrrr.

Also, I wasn't crazy about Patons Divine. It was so fuzzy and lots of longish hairs coming off it (the mohair I guess) plus I was using black which made it even more difficult. I told myself I'd never use it again.

Curlykat
04-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Red Heart Super Saver. Yucky! I knit a whole big afghan with it and let me tell you, if you're looking to cure yourself of knitting with acrylic, knit an afghan with that stuff. So rough and scratchy on my poor hands. :crying:

Pixywhispers
04-23-2006, 12:33 PM
Debbie Bliss Cathay, 50% cotton, 35% viscose microfibre, 15% silk blend available in 12 shades. Splits like crazy!

knitaddict
04-23-2006, 12:49 PM
Red Heart Super Saver. Yucky! I knit a whole big afghan with it and let me tell you, if you're looking to cure yourself of knitting with acrylic, knit an afghan with that stuff. So rough and scratchy on my poor hands. :crying:
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who felt that way about RH SS!! I've only been knitting a few months so I don't know a lot about different yarns, but I will NEVER buy RHSS again (if I can help it). My first project was an afghan for my ds and I let him pick out the color. He chose bright green RH SS and I felt like my fingers would just flake apart. It left my hands so dry and scratched up. :(

Jan in CA
04-23-2006, 01:43 PM
I'm really not sure I can pick just one..... eyelash yarn of any type..hate that stuff!!! And I don't like Homespun or RH supersaver either! Other than the eyelash stuff which I'll give to my niece the others I am forcing myself to make rectangles for the Warm-up America campaign (http://www.michaels.com/art/online/projectsheet?pid=20146). The pieces are small so I only have to work with the crappy stuff for short stints. :roflhard:

ecb
04-23-2006, 05:23 PM
I guess I M wierd
I actually keep picking up the Eyelash and Kiss and Homespun to remind me how to knit right
to losten my Tension, and knit by the feel, not just by looking
its like Typing
you SHOULD be able to do it in the dark
but I get in the habbit of looking all the time
then I go back to the difficult stuff, and get back in practice

Celine
04-23-2006, 07:11 PM
A few years ago when the eye last yarns came out I made tons of scarves with it and other yarns mixed in. Now I would NOT touch the stuff. I don't know what I saw in it in the first place. :oops:

Andrea
04-23-2006, 07:27 PM
Also, I wasn't crazy about Patons Divine. It was so fuzzy and lots of longish hairs coming off it (the mohair I guess) plus I was using black which made it even more difficult. I told myself I'd never use it again.
I agree!! I was making a what would have been a really pretty purple scraf and hat but I had to frog it was so hard to work with!

Trendsetter Aura---beautiful yarn, really crappy to work with--although it could have been the combination of using it with DPNs :rollseyes:

knitqueen
04-23-2006, 07:32 PM
I had to persevere with the Patons Divine because it was a last minute Christmas gift (scarf) for my MIL, my dh of course had not thought of anything for his mom for Christmas and it was a last minute scramble. Knitter to the rescue!! :shock:

Nicoley
04-23-2006, 07:48 PM
any kinda lash yarn... everyone says its so easy to work with.... i tried to make a chemo cap with it and my brain almost exsploded lol

knittingachiever
04-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Ugh, LB Polarspun was the WORST!! Impossible to work with, impossible to frog... they've discontinued it now - I wonder why??! :doh:

cheesiesmom
04-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Homespun, except I've learned how to work with it and anyking of hairy, feathery yarn. Yuk

Danielle
04-23-2006, 08:11 PM
I'd have to go with Paton's Divine, and any kind of trellis/ladder yarn. Not too fond of Homespun either, although I do love the colors it comes in. For some reason it keeps getting into my stash. :shifty:

cheesiesmom
04-23-2006, 08:14 PM
The colors of homespun are wonderful. Too bad they can't make them with other yard.

Ingrid
04-23-2006, 08:35 PM
The colors of homespun are wonderful. Too bad they can't make them with other yard.

My sentiments, exactly.

ladyindica2000
04-23-2006, 09:08 PM
Ugh. Ditto the Lionbrand Homespun!! I made a poncho with it because it seemed all soft and nice, but it sheds like crazy. Even after a washing.

Pixywhispers
04-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Ugh, LB Polarspun was the WORST!! Impossible to work with, impossible to frog... they've discontinued it now - I wonder why??! :doh:

Yes! It was awlful. I often wonder how many people give up knitting because they first tried "bad" yarn.

Ingrid
04-23-2006, 10:19 PM

Yes! It was awlful. I often wonder how many people give up knitting because they first tried "bad" yarn.

I think I can honestly say that if these were the only yarns available, I wouldn't knit--and that's saying a lot!

Rhyannon1970
04-23-2006, 10:36 PM
I picked a yarn by Modea Dea(spelling?) black & thought it would make a great sweater..but i start & then end up putting it down & not touching it..I purchased 9 balls all new & around 7.00 a ball..I've somehow got to get this done...but yuck, kinda reminds me of the eyelash, but this stuff is thicker, but makes a rats nest once you get going...

Ah well, you live & you learn..

Rhy :XX:

Rhyannon1970
04-23-2006, 10:37 PM
I picked a yarn by Modea Dea(spelling?) black & thought it would make a great sweater..but i start & then end up putting it down & not touching it..I purchased 9 balls all new & around 7.00 a ball..I've somehow got to get this done...but yuck, kinda reminds me of the eyelash, but this stuff is thicker, but makes a rats nest once you get going...

Ah well, you live & you learn..

Rhy :XX:

ebrperk
04-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Rhy--Sounds a little like MoDea Dream it is great for a scarf but I am not sure about a sweater.

The one I absolutely can't stand is Red Heart Symphony. It was horrible.

Jeremy
04-23-2006, 11:17 PM
You can't hate Homespun enough in my opinion.

IrishBaby
04-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Homespun is the work of the devil. ;) I also loathe Paton's Divine. I have two unfinished projects in both of those yarns.

This will probably get tomatoes thrown at me, but I also hate Knit Picks Shine, and Wool of the Andes. :)

gimmesanity
04-24-2006, 06:16 AM
Irish Baby, my vote goes for KP Shine, too.
I've only worked with the worsted weight, and it splits like mad. It's soft, but so annoying to work with.

Homespun just shouldn't be made anymore. It's not terrible to crochet with, but knitting with it is torture.

nicolethegeek
04-24-2006, 12:39 PM
Most yarns I find that if I can't knit with it, I can crochet with it, and vice versa. The one yarn that makes me curse with every stitch is Bernat Eye Lash... long curly lashes are *NOT* easy to work with!!!

AnreeAce
04-25-2006, 10:11 PM
I'll have to jump on the bandwagon with the rest of the Homespun Haters!

It's from the devil, I tell yah! :devil:

Can you believe I bought 12 skeins of the stuff to make my cable throw? I think I got about 4 inches done on the first strip before I took it all back. Yetch!

metalsgirl
04-25-2006, 10:37 PM
Home. Spun. Ick!

humblestumble
04-25-2006, 10:52 PM
I'd have to say really cheap scratchy acrylic. I like all the other ones (that I've tried) of the ones that are listed here. But that scratchy acrylic stuff was nasty, I frogged it out almost as soon as I cast on.

mdsheriff
04-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Eyelash yarn! ICK!

I wanted to knit my girlfriend a fun scarf. Bernat Boa comes in a variation called "Tweety Bird" which matches Gabby (my girlfriend) perfectly. It was my second knitting project. I was beginning to teach myself to knit continental AND! I had just purchased a pair of addis. I can't tell you what fun I had finishing that scarf! Many, many, many! lessons learned from that single project. The first and foremost is NO MORE EYELASH YARN!