PDA

View Full Version : OT: Dear Abby

CarmenIbanez
04-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Hope no one else posted this already....

DEAR ABBY: My mother loves to knit, and she's superb at it. When our children were born, Mama was delighted to have new family members to knit for -- and she has done so throughout their lives.

Last summer, Mama announced that she will no longer knit for our oldest, "Heather," who is 12, because Heather loses everything. Mama said she will no longer pour so much effort into a sweater, hat or scarf only to see it disappear because it was left on a playground.

Last Christmas, all the children received scarves, but only those of the younger two were hand-knit. Heather's came from a store. It was nice -- but it was store-bought.

Now Heather is very hurt, and I don't know what to do. We love our daughter, but she hasn't learned to care for her things, and Mama is adamant about her knitting. What should we do? -- LOST IN OREGON

DEAR LOST: Explain to your daughter that, as hurt as she may feel about the scarf, it's a drop in the bucket compared to how her grandmother felt having spent hours creating a one-of-a-kind item only to have it left somewhere. Heather is not the offended party -- Grandma is. A step in the right direction would be a handwritten letter from Heather to her grandmother apologizing for her carelessness.

Cristy
04-24-2006, 04:48 PM
awwww....I understand why the gramma is upset but it's just a little girl....there's gotta be a better way to teach the girl a lesson...

CateKnits
04-24-2006, 05:06 PM
I think 12 is old enough to learn not to lose things. If it were a six year old, I'd think it's harsh, but I think 12 is old enough to be responsible for your stuff...and to appreciate someone else's work.

mulene
04-24-2006, 05:16 PM
:rofling: Abby must be a knitter ;)

Friskums
04-24-2006, 05:27 PM
:rofling: Abby must be a knitter ;)

Or lost a grandma knitted item before. :rofling:

Pixywhispers
04-24-2006, 06:39 PM
hmmm, I am very stingey about who I knit for. If someone lost something continually I would have to cut them off.

Maybe the girl needs to be taught to knit to teach her the value of a knitted item.

Indygirl
04-24-2006, 06:54 PM
I agree with gramma. The girl has to learn sometime, 12 is kinda late IMHO to begain learning to take care of her own property.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
04-24-2006, 08:42 PM
How about:

Deat LOST,

Teach your kid to be responsible, DUMB@$$. Then grandma won't have to do it the hard way.

Abby

aylaanne
04-24-2006, 08:46 PM
How about:

Deat LOST,

Teach your kid to be responsible, DUMB@$$. Then grandma won't have to do it the hard way.

Abby :roflhard: :roflhard: Oh hildie, you're so tactful! :roflhard: :roflhard:

knittingachiever
04-24-2006, 08:50 PM
I guess we don't have to worry that we'll lose Hildie to a position in international diplomacy... :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

04-24-2006, 09:11 PM
How about:

Deat LOST,

Abby

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
Well said, well said.

WynnieG
04-24-2006, 09:21 PM
Hildie took the words out of my mouth!

My two knuts' worth: I started crocheting at age 9. If I could crochet myself a scarf at that age, this girl can certainly learn to knit at 12. Many younger than her have done it.

I agree with Pixywhispers, she needs to learn the value of grandma's hard work, preferrably by knitting her own freaking clothing.

Indygirl
04-24-2006, 09:23 PM
How about:

Deat LOST,

Abby

:roflhard: Ya know, Ya just gotta worder about these people sometimes :roflhard: I'm with you :thumbsup:

nicolethegeek
04-24-2006, 09:29 PM
As much as I love Hilde's reply, mine would have been to suggest to the daughter that she ask the Grandmother to teach her how to knit. That way when Grandma's gone, the items that she made may wear out {or get lost :rollseyes: }, but her skills will have been passed on for eternity.

Debbie
04-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Hilde ... spoken like a true teacher .... not a kid problem .... a PARENT problem !!! We had a middle school student YELLING at the principal ... someone said ... what kind of kid yells at the principal ... duh ... a kid who yells at their parents.

feministmama
04-25-2006, 12:00 AM
We had a middle school student YELLING at the principal ...

Kids today. I think ALL children should learn to knit. Teach responsability, accountability, patience, concentration.... blah blah blah

Rhyannon1970
04-25-2006, 07:17 AM
Well, I have to say that im in total agreement with Nana....I have a 13yr old & she pretty much loses everything...maybe it's the hormones??? :shock:

Anyways, children at this age should begin to notice that alot of effort goes into the items that are knit for them, it's a time for responsibility...If Heather is really hurt, maybe if Nana just holds off awhile, the next time she receives a handknit she'll take better care of it..

EVEN BETTER>>>>teach the girl to knit herself so that she can have a better appreciation of what she is receiving. :thumbsup:

Rhy :heart:

Oh, but i still knit for my daughter Olivia...although she hasn't lost anything larger than a mitten...

CarmenIbanez
04-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Hilde ... spoken like a true teacher .... not a kid problem .... a PARENT problem !!! We had a middle school student YELLING at the principal ... someone said ... what kind of kid yells at the principal ... duh ... a kid who yells at their parents.

I'm so glad to hear that. Not the yelling part. :shock: I'm a teacher also, and it is so true. Parents are 90% of the problem. The other 10% is just that kids are little germ riddled, lying, thieving gremlins. But I love them!

Jan in CA
04-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Parents are 90% of the problem. The other 10% is just that kids are little germ riddled, lying, thieving gremlins. But I love them!

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

knitqueen
04-25-2006, 11:33 AM
As a side note.....anyone ever read the children's book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/039921920X/sr=8-1/qid=1145979074/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-4296976-0415143?%5Fencoding=UTF8) called 'The Mitten' by Jan Brett? The gist of the story is that a young boy wants his grandmother to knit him white mittens, and she says that white mittens will fall of in the snow and will be hard to find. One mitten does get lost and the story tells how all kinds of different animals emerge from the woods and make their home inside the mitten.

It's the cutest story ever, my kids love it and we have read it hundreds of times. Check it out!

Jan in CA
04-25-2006, 11:38 AM
That is a really cute story! I read it to my kids when they were little, too!