PDA

View Full Version : roving

koolbreeze
04-26-2006, 11:00 AM
where does everybody get there roving from?? trying to find a decnt resource for roving and a good price.

dana_renay
04-26-2006, 01:49 PM
Here is a good one:

http://www.thesheepshedstudio.com/rovingbusiness.html

These are mill end rovings for 7.50/lb. I ordered 2lbs of white and 1lb of the black and white, they also sent some of the brown and white as a sample. The wool is soft and silky, takes dye beautifully and I have yet to find any vm. It is mostly shorter lengths of one to three yards, not one continuous ball of roving, but I don't consider this to be a problem. It is a great deal for the price.

koolbreeze
04-27-2006, 09:05 AM
ok thanks. i've seen this before but didn't know what they meant by ends. but how would you dye it if its not all together if you wanted multi colored?

dana_renay
04-27-2006, 01:27 PM
I'm not sure what you mean - you can dye it using any method I've seen for dyeing roving.

koolbreeze
04-27-2006, 01:38 PM
well, you said it wasn't in a ball so i was wondering how you dye it without it be all connected together.

yarnahoy
04-28-2006, 04:08 PM
I got a box full of stuff from here. Some of the rovings were soft whereas some were medium soft to coarse. I guess you could ask the folks specifically for softer wool if you like.
I think i'm going to spin all the coarse wool i got into yarn for weaving a rug on my 4 shaft loom.
:D

dana_renay
05-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Well, a ball of roving is just one long strip wound up into a ball like yarn, right? So, this is still strips, just shorter lengths, rather than one long, long strip.